Fashion

Fashion Grinds my Gears

I am returning with my “Grinds my Gears” series, and I have an endless list of things that TRULY grinds my gears. So anyone who knows me is aware of the fact that I HATE trends. I don’t hate the concept of things being “in” but I hate how people become clones of each other, and everyone has on the SAME exact things (just in different colors). On the TOP of my HATE LIST is:

GLADIATOR SANDALS
Ok so I’m semi-biased already against these because around 1998, my sis had a pair of brown strappy sandals that were flat, and I used to roast her everytime she wore them because she looked like she was about to go walk the desert at ANY minute. My roast did not rest until she got rid of them. So this year, I was minding my own business and I saw a similar pair in the store. I shook my fists vigorously. Then I look up and EVERY chick has them on. *Sigh*

If this were 300 B.C., it would be a different story. However, since no one is expected to part seas or make foot voyages, I don’t see the reason for folks to have on Air Christs. I say BOOO unto them. But if that is your cup of tea, then carry on. Just don’t get offended when I chuckle whenever I see them. I really can’t help myself. Like really. I can’t.

COOGI
So we all remember about sophomore year of high school, when Coogi was IN, and everyone had on a Coogi sweater at homecoming. Everyone looked like mini-Cosbys, and those things were hot, ugly, and expensive as hell. But hey, teenagers thrive on such things. Well apparently, Coogi is trying to make a comeback. I worked on the southside of Chicago, and Coogi is the new HIT with ALL the urban youths. There is no shortage of neon colored clothes w/ COOGI written all over it, and for this, I shake my fists vehemently.

LIPLINER
So the point of lipliner is to keep one’s lipcolor within the boundaries of their lips. However, people do not seem to get that because there are TOO many people walking around these parts wearing a dark colored lipliner with a light lipcolor. The double lip effect is what I like to call “not hot”. People, let’s get it together and BLEND BLEND BLEND.

I’ll be back with more.

1. NaturallyAlise
    July 23, 2008 at 11:59 pm — Reply

Okay, now I am glad someone is with me on the gladiator shoes!!!! I hate them!!!

2. LaToya
    July 25, 2008 at 4:38 pm — Reply

Totally Hilarious!!! I agree with the lip liner and… eeewwwww COOGI, however I am really digging the whole “I am Jesus” shoe wear this summer. :)

3. Kismet~Destiny
    July 26, 2008 at 6:28 pm — Reply

Aww I have a pair of gladiators that I bought 3 yrs ago and loved em, and now its the new hotness. I still rock my old sandals from time to time though :D….

alsooo I hateeeee the double lip-liner. Working as a makeup artist I broke many a client out of that. That is not a good look!

4. V.E. Griffin
    July 27, 2008 at 10:51 pm — Reply

Ok…my 11 year old nephew has not one, but TWO pair of Coogi shorts. Because of my love for him, I will not comment. :o)

Lip liner in general is just wrong, I think.

Re: Gladiator sandals: Christ was so ahead of his time.

5. suga
    August 20, 2008 at 3:34 am — Reply

I’m not a fan of those Air Christ’s, and I live on the west coast, where Coogi has never been in style. I was in a wedding this weekend and the make up artist lined my lips with a color that was lighter than the gloss…my side eye stayed on her until she blended that ish….I dont play that “jr high schooler playing in my mama’s make up” look when it comes to important events, nor am I Foxxy Brown.

6. NaijaSweetz
    July 19, 2011 at 10:19 pm — Reply

..witchy’all lip liner hating ass selves. Hmph.

I thought I was the only one who utterly despised gladiator sandals.

7. December 16, 2013 at 9:06 am — Reply

[…] Fashion Grinds my Gears – This post is the first one I had with more than 2 comments. LOL plus it mentions Coogi (which is a rainbow brite mess). […]