Random

Nigeria is 48! You Know You’re Nigerian If…

To take a detour from my regularly scheduled blogging, I’d like to wish Nigeria a HAPPY 48th INDEPENDENCE DAY!!! We will party o!! We need Bailey’s Irish Cream, Guinness (Stout), Jollof Rice, Fufu & Stew, and Maltina.

**You know you’re NIGERIAN IF**
————————————

*The only reason you dance at Nigerian parties is to get “sprayed” money by the adults

*Your parents add “O” to the end of every sentence: Shutup-O! Get me water-O!

*You’ve been called an “IJOT” more times than you can count by your parents

*You’ve been slapped for not greeting someone well

*You’ve gotten in trouble for giving an elder something with your left hand

*You gotta call all the older Nigerians you know uncle or auntie even if they are not related!

*Your parents YELL, not talk on the phone

*Your parents buy phone cards on a weekly basis

*You know who King Sunny Ade and Salawa are

*When Shina Peters’ Afro Juju comes on at a party, you lose your mind!

*You know what chin chin, puff puff, or moyin moyin are

*Your parents like eating Garri & Water as a snack (sometimes with peanuts)

*You can pick which you like better, Eba or Amala

*You been scared watching the movies your parents bring from back home

*There is ALWAYS white rice in your house

*Sometimes when you eat your Mom’s food, your nose starts running from the spiciness

*A party starts at 6 and you show up at 10, and most people are still not there yet

*You say “Amen” a thousand times when you pray and all the parents know the exact time to say it.

*You always hear your parents say “Ah ah!”

*When your parents threaten to send you “back home” when you misbehave

*Your parents call Ramen noodles “indomie”

*You point at something with your lips

*You always have maggi cubes in your house

*You are mad that your clothes now smell of stock fish and stew

*You gotta pronounce your last name 20 times for people and they still don’t get it rite!

*You’re laughing at this stuff because you can relate to some, if not most of them!!

1. R. Joseph Donigian
    October 1, 2008 at 7:45 am — Reply

Yaaay, independence! Thanks, Uncle Zik!

2. [F]oxymoron
    October 1, 2008 at 10:24 am — Reply

Ha!

3. Paula
    October 1, 2008 at 12:12 pm — Reply

Happy Birthday Nigeria!!! :)

We have a “You know you’re scottish” thing a bit like that – only about half of it applies to me though I think. Or LIKE to think . . .:)

4. The Pretty Brown Girl
    October 1, 2008 at 2:40 pm — Reply

Now I see why everywhere I go, Africans of all nationalities think I’m Nigerian. Especially Nigerians. I probably am, ancestrally.

Happy Birthday, Nigeria!!

5. MissBa
    October 1, 2008 at 8:44 pm — Reply

some of this qualifies for ALL Africans period.
    especially “being sent back home”….if i had a dollar for everytime i heard that…

lol

But Happy Birthday to my Najas out there!!! In celebration, I will watch my collection of nigerian movies today…they be THE SHHHIIITTTT!!!

6. and1grad
    October 2, 2008 at 9:43 am — Reply

Hilarious! Its ridiculous how many of those apply. Oogowooh!

7. Tha Management
    October 2, 2008 at 10:44 am — Reply

A fellow Naija blogger, how lovely :)

8. oghouse
    December 27, 2009 at 3:19 pm — Reply

How sweet!
    I Love speeches at weddings. The more, the merrier in my opinion. I love hearing childhood antics, how the couple met, etc. Sounds like yours were all great!

9. NaijaSweetz