Random

Nigeria is 48! You Know You’re Nigerian If…

To take a detour from my regularly scheduled blogging, I’d like to wish Nigeria a HAPPY 48th INDEPENDENCE DAY!!! We will party o!! We need Bailey’s Irish Cream, Guinness (Stout), Jollof Rice, Fufu & Stew, and Maltina.

**You know you’re NIGERIAN IF**
————————————

*The only reason you dance at Nigerian parties is to get “sprayed” money by the adults

*Your parents add “O” to the end of every sentence: Shutup-O! Get me water-O!

*You’ve been called an “IJOT” more times than you can count by your parents

*You’ve been slapped for not greeting someone well

*You’ve gotten in trouble for giving an elder something with your left hand

*You gotta call all the older Nigerians you know uncle or auntie even if they are not related!

*Your parents YELL, not talk on the phone

*Your parents buy phone cards on a weekly basis

*You know who King Sunny Ade and Salawa are

*When Shina Peters’ Afro Juju comes on at a party, you lose your mind!

*You know what chin chin, puff puff, or moyin moyin are

*Your parents like eating Garri & Water as a snack (sometimes with peanuts)

*You can pick which you like better, Eba or Amala

*You been scared watching the movies your parents bring from back home

*There is ALWAYS white rice in your house

*Sometimes when you eat your Mom’s food, your nose starts running from the spiciness

*A party starts at 6 and you show up at 10, and most people are still not there yet

*You say “Amen” a thousand times when you pray and all the parents know the exact time to say it.

*You always hear your parents say “Ah ah!”

*When your parents threaten to send you “back home” when you misbehave

*Your parents call Ramen noodles “indomie”

*You point at something with your lips

*You always have maggi cubes in your house

*You are mad that your clothes now smell of stock fish and stew

*You gotta pronounce your last name 20 times for people and they still don’t get it rite!

*You’re laughing at this stuff because you can relate to some, if not most of them!!

Hot Breaths are not Hot

Sluggish Fridays

Awesomely Luvvie

Awesomely Luvvie

Wacky Wordsmith. Renowned Ranter. Pop Culture PrimaDonna. Side-Eye Sorceress. Shade Samurai. Foolery Fanatic. Dynamic Digerati with a Superior Shoe Game. Follow her everywhere:

1. R. Joseph Donigian
    October 1, 2008 at 7:45 am — Reply

Yaaay, independence! Thanks, Uncle Zik!

2. [F]oxymoron
    October 1, 2008 at 10:24 am — Reply

Ha!

3. Paula
    October 1, 2008 at 12:12 pm — Reply

Happy Birthday Nigeria!!! :)

We have a “You know you’re scottish” thing a bit like that – only about half of it applies to me though I think. Or LIKE to think . . .:)

4. The Pretty Brown Girl
    October 1, 2008 at 2:40 pm — Reply

Now I see why everywhere I go, Africans of all nationalities think I’m Nigerian. Especially Nigerians. I probably am, ancestrally.

Happy Birthday, Nigeria!!

5. MissBa
    October 1, 2008 at 8:44 pm — Reply

some of this qualifies for ALL Africans period.
    especially “being sent back home”….if i had a dollar for everytime i heard that…

lol

But Happy Birthday to my Najas out there!!! In celebration, I will watch my collection of nigerian movies today…they be THE SHHHIIITTTT!!!

6. and1grad
    October 2, 2008 at 9:43 am — Reply

Hilarious! Its ridiculous how many of those apply. Oogowooh!

7. Tha Management
    October 2, 2008 at 10:44 am — Reply

A fellow Naija blogger, how lovely :)

8. oghouse
    December 27, 2009 at 3:19 pm — Reply

How sweet!
    I Love speeches at weddings. The more, the merrier in my opinion. I love hearing childhood antics, how the couple met, etc. Sounds like yours were all great!

9. NaijaSweetz