In the past year, I’ve gone on 6 trips, 3 of them roadtrips. 1 to Cedar Pointe Ohio (5 hours), 1 across the country to Atlanta, then Florida (22 hours) and this is the 3rd, to DC (14 hours). I can almost consider myself an expert by now. I have definitely got a couple of lessons for road trippers
- All truck stops are identical. It was like I had Deja Vu every 4 hours when we stopped. I felt like I was stuck in a space-time continuum of sameness. Hell, the people who staffed the stops even looked alike
- If I never see another Sbarro again, it’d be too soon
- Cracker Barrel is my archnemesis. They NEVER get my food order correct. Once, they even made my eggs with shells a la mode. There is NO reason for my eggs to be crunchy. I was irate.
- Living on a diet of Starbucks madeline cakes and Flaming hot chips will make you feel yucky and feel the need to go on a “non-junk food” detox for a couple of days
- Yes, it is possible for your butt to fall asleep
- Who’da thunk I’d miss rice so much (everybody: “Us”. Me: “Sharrap!”) I went 5 days without having rice and I was fiending for it. I will be gorging on rice for the next couple of days. I got home at 2am, went straight to the kitchen for a bowl of rice and went to sleep. Sweet, sweet redemption!
- Bring that book you always wanted to read with you. And yes, you can complete it on the car ride back even after you take a nap. My roadtrip mates were shocked that I took a good nap AND read a complete book from scratch. I’m a speed reader so…
- You can nap for what you think is 2-3 hours and wake up and find out it was only for 30 minutes. It’s like time was crawwwwwlllliiinnnggg
- Being a packrat is definitely an asset. You can never have too many things. My mentor, BA needed the following things during the trip, and I had them ALL: vaseline, halls cough drops, tylenol cold, grapes… She was like “Dang! Who needs Walgreens?”
Despite all of this, I still enjoy road trips, and will go on one in a heartbeat. My next trip isn’t till April so I’mo sat down. My bank account will thank me for it.
I will be posting a blog tomorrow about the foolery I saw in DC, and why I was thisclose to renigging my Black card (before woosahing and saying “Barack is bout to be sworn in. It will negate all the foolishness.”)