My Life

Cabbie Chronicles Continues

So this is an emergency post, which usually comes when I need to go off about something that just happened. I’m STILL heated.

Seriously, Chicago Cab Drivers are officially the bane of my existence. One of my uncles is a cab driver, and I respect him SO MUCH. So he is an exception to this (Hey Unc!). I’m not an extra frequent cab rider but I take cabs when where I’m going isn’t convenient on public transportation or when I’m running late to get somewhere. Otherwise, me and my bus pass are TIGHT!

So y’all remember when a Cabbie Quit me and kicked me out his cab a couple of weeks back, right? But I kind of deserved it though lol, trying to pay a $4 cab fare with my debit card. I may have quit me too. Well, my Cabbie Chronicles continues because this week has seen me have two exceptionally bad experiences with my cabdrivers.

First was on Tuesday morning on my way to work. I got into a cab at 8:15, and did not get to work until 9:05! Why, pray tell did my usual 25 minute (in rush hour) cab ride take 50 minutes and cost me $10 more than it should have. My cab driver (who was Ethiopian) decided to take the route that would take 10 minutes to go 3 blocks. I was HEATED! I wanted to be early to work that day and ended up 5 minutes late. May his pinky toe nail fall off and a curse on his curls. May they be forever frizzy. Hmph!

Then today, I was running late because I couldn’t decide on what to wear so I had to take a cab instead of the bus. Welp, this cab driver was fast getting me to work and I was actually in front of my job 10 minutes early. However I was late to work. *Pause* Read that again.

YES! I was in front of my building EARLY but didn’t get into work until 15 minutes later because the cab driver did not want to accept my debit card as payment. *PISSED*. My fare was $13.45 so it wasn’t like my $4 fare from last time. He was also East African. Methinks Sudanese. Anyway, I hand him my card and first he looks at me funny. Then he swipes it in their janky machine, which is of course a process within itself. So I’m sititng there and after 5 minutes, he says it didn’t go through.

Me: *thinking* THE HELL IT DIDN’T! My bank account ain’t echoing so I know that isn’t it.
*actually say* What do you mean? (Because I truly didn’t understand)
Him: It didn’t go through. Do you want me to drive you to your bank?
Me: *with more sass than I imagined I would have* No I don’t. I’m going to be late.
Him: Well I can’t let you go.
Me: Um why don’t you just use that carbon paper to record my credit card number?
Him: Because there’s no way i can tell if it goes through
Me: Well it’s in my Passenger Bill of Rights. I can pay with a credit card, so work that out!

After giving him ANOTHER card that he says “didn’t go throgh”, this numbnuts of a man then decided to *wait for it* use that carbon paper to record my credit card number!!! I was BEYOND pissed at this point! So I went OFF!

Me: Isn’t that what I asked for you to do in the FIRST place? What the hell?? You are wasting my time and I have to go to work! You could have BEEN done that!
Him: Can I see your state ID?
Me: *I was downright indignant at this point* What for???
Him: So I can write down your ID #.
Me: *deep sigh* *hands it over* I don’t have time for this.
Him: *writes down my address and ID# & hands it back*
Me: Ok, so GIVE me a copy of that receipt
Him: I can’t do that.
Me: What do you mean??? That is not an option. GIVE me the receipt and let me get out this cab!
Him: Fine! *hands it off* See you later
Me: Or not!!!

As I made my dramatic exit out the cab, I called him a “Foolish IJOT!” and slammed the cab door as hard as my puny biceps would let me.

I HATE EVERYTHING! (c) Durty Mo. I’m so calling the Cab Complaint hotline and reporting Cab #231 to them. That driver was beyond rude! My tiny fists can’t shake vigorously enough!

Like my driver from Tuesday, this Classless Wonder of a Nonentity also had curly hair. I hope his tendrils shrivel up and die an unemollient death!!! East African cab drivers ain’t treating me right this week.

This is gonna really drive me (hehe no pun intended) to get a license (or REALLY REALLY start carrying cash). But once again, who carries cash anymore?? I mean, really!

From PC to MacBook

iCan't with Popeye's

1. South Loop Social Light
    April 24, 2009 at 8:47 am — Reply

Sorry that you’ve been living in cab hell lately…but honestly, who takes a cab anywhere w/o having cash on them? It only takes getting played once to realize that credit/debit cards and cab rides aren’t bffs (or frenemies for that matter…) I’d suggest putting up a paypal acct to start a cab fund! :)

2. Ms_Slim
    April 24, 2009 at 9:10 am — Reply

Goodness! Is it even fair that I got mad at that cabbie for you when he REFUSED to use the carbon slot and then used it like 10 mins later? Sheesh!

I’d take SouthLoop’s advice though. Make sure you have at least 20 on you if you’re even thinking of cabbing it anywhere. Otherwise….CTA it is (gotta make sure you get up early, Luvvie! lol)

Get to calling that hotline, though cause I understand that frustration!

3. KindredSmile
    April 24, 2009 at 9:16 am — Reply

Eff that. You have a right to pay with a credit card, no matter what the fare total is. Cabbies need to get with the program or find another job. Also? He was not supposed to take information from your state ID. Who does he think he is, H&M? I would have got out and left, but I'm a thug like that.

4. SouthernGirl
    April 24, 2009 at 10:17 am — Reply

pssh…girl rock that plastic if you have to. i always try to carry a bit of cash cause that’s what my mama told me but still. it’s illegal for them to be out driving will a broken credit card machine or to not take your card (this from the checker cab lady when i called to make a reservation).

i usually run into this drama when i travel for work and use my corporate card for travel expenses. it depends on what mood they catch me in. once i gave the cabbie the cash because i had it and was tired from not getting off the plane and back home until 1:30 in the morning.

but twice i have had to side eye a cabbie over this nonsense. you prefer cash for this $40 ride from o’hare? that’s nice. i prefer you take this amex business card, mmmkay?

your slider machine thingie is broken/you don’t have one? uh huh, ain’t that illegal? out comes the carbon copy. it didn’t go through you say? *mumbling also about not knowing if it went through* well. call your dispatcher or try it again. i can’t and i ain’t got time. work yo’ sh!t out…

5. sabrina
    April 24, 2009 at 12:30 pm — Reply

Oh, and now that he has you CC number and you ID number, check you’re account and make sure that he only takes the cab fare amount….

6. amymay
    April 25, 2009 at 1:33 am — Reply

Girl! I can’t even imagine this nonsense…of course, I live in the “other end” of the state, and if you don’t drive, you besta have some good walkin’ shoes or a couple dependable friends! Hell, some of these fools drive their lawn mowers to walmart! lol.

Seriously, tho, him havin’ all your info… careful he don’t get all up in ya money! or show up a-stalkin’!

7. LibraSong
    April 25, 2009 at 9:53 am — Reply

not gon’ give you the receipt?! the HELL he mean? you shoulda said: you gon’ gimme that receipt or i’mma take one of these DOORS!!!

8. EastAfrcan
    April 19, 2014 at 2:54 pm — Reply

If he had curly hair and East African, if he’s dark skinned then he’s Somali otherwise Ethiopian or Eritrean.