Awards

NAACP Image Awards Nominees FAIL

Remember when the NAACP used to be really relevant? Back in the days of Rosa and Thurgood? Yeah… the good old days O__o. And sometime last year, they decided to symbolically bury the world “Nigger.” Bless their hearts for trying to still matter.

Anyway… well, they just released their Image Awards nominees a couple of days ago, and it is just a mess.

Premier event? Yeah, naw. That ain’t it O__o

NAACP might as well call this the “Awards for anything with any colored* people in it. It doesn’t have to be good, but since there’s a couple of melanin-blessed folks in it, it counts. We just want to stay relevant somehow. So umm… yeah.” I’m not sure what arbitrary criteria they decided to use but they need to reconsider because a big chunk of the list left me scratching my head saying “Wait… huh?”. Why? Well, I’m glad you asked.

*Some folks have problems with me using the word “Colored.” I also still use mulatto. Eh. These words tickle me. So I will continue.

Here are some of the nominations that made me give the side-eye:

Outstanding Actress in a Motion Picture (Nominees include Anika Noni Rose and Sandra Bullock)
Anika Noni Rose for “The Princess and the Frog” – I love me some Anika! I just wanna put her in my pocket and take her places with me. She’s adorable. And her voice is divine. HOWEVER, seeing as how she was a cartoon VOICE, I’m really questioning the validity of this. Shoot, if that’s the case, James Earl Jones should have DEFINITELY won for playing Mufasa. What other cartoon character made me folks cry openly at the theater? N’an other! I’m just saying.

Sandra Bullock for “The Blind Side” – O__O *blank stare* *blinks twice* Umm… *looks around* Last I checked, Sandra Bullock ain’t colored. Maybe I missed something. But moving on…

Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Motion Picture (Nominees include Mariah Carey, Mo’Nique, and Paula Patton. All for Precious)

“Precious” was amazing to me. But to have 3 out of the 5 actresses in the category come from it? Methinks it’s a bit much. Mo’Nique DEED that so her nomination is very valid. But Mariah Carey and her moustache didn’t do anything extraordinary. She was good but award-winning? Naw dawg. Were there NO other people to nominate from other films? I bet there was a movie this year with Angela Bassett in it. They coulda thrown her in this category.

Outstanding Foreign Motion Picture – Ok they just threw this random ass category in here. Someone musta asked them to add some bit of “variety” so they did. It just doesn’t curl all the way over in my book.

Outstanding Variety – (Series or Special)
“BET Awards 2009″ (BET) – The fact that they thought this debacle of a show was “outstanding” enough to be nominated automatically makes them lose ALL credibility. The BET Awards was nothing but FAIL, yet it’s up for an award. Boo, NAACP. Just… BOOO!

“Michael Jackson Memorial Service” – Umm… really? Like FOR REAL? Y’all just gonna nominate the Thrillermaker’s funeral for a Variety show award? “Theo, that is the DUMBEST thing I have ever heard.” I agree that the music powerhouses in there ROCKED THE HOUSE! But this is just embarrassing. A memorial service isn’t a variety show, no matter how many people come through to sing.

Outstanding Reality Series
“Real Housewives of Atlanta” – I don’t have the energy to even say why this is foolish. They coulda nominated RuPaul’s Drag Race. At least THOSE drag queens were fierce and could vogue. Nene and Kim can’t do nothing but scream in high pitches at each other. And rock bad hairhats.

The only props they get are for:

Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Motion Picture
Adam Rodriguez – “Tyler Perry’s I Can Do Bad All By Myself” – He’s so FAHN! I don’t mind this at all. I just wanted to mention him.

Outstanding Children’s Program
“The Backyardigans” – The Backyardigans DOES go hard! That theme song comes on and I start singing it at the top of my lungs. As my niece rocks back and forth to it, I’m singing “We’ve got the whole wide world in our yard to exxpplllooorrreee…” Uniqua’s my favorite. Although Tyrone is also my dude.

With that being said, I need NAACP Image Award’s nomination committee to come pick up their limited edition “FOOL SADDOWN” Gift Baskets from me. They’ve earned it, along with the “Get Relevant” vouchers I threw in for the free.

Did I miss anymore of the wackness? I’m pretty sure I left some out.

—————
Subscribe to my blog. Follow me on Twitter – @LuvvieIG. Join my Facebook Page.

It's my birthday!!! Let us rejoice!

Missed Chance at Recap Foolery

1. @ThePBG
    January 8, 2010 at 7:31 am — Reply

*dead* @ the "Get Relevant" vouchers!!

I have the same problems w/this foolishness going on over at the NAACP. My biggest "Huh??" moment came from the nomination of RHOA being nominated for an IMAGE award?? Really? I mean, if it were for "startling/disturbing/embarrassing" images, then yeah. But not "outstanding". That imagery was one of nothing but Negroidian Tomfoolery.

2. @Roxy_V
    January 8, 2010 at 7:45 am — Reply

Wait, so I can make a movie and get nominated by the NAACP?

Finally, my straight to DVD film "Ooh, You Bout To Get Got!" will be worth making! Thanks Luvvie!

I have a love-hate relationship with the Crackyardigans. My godson insists I sing along to the songs. Bossy kids…

3. JunePearl
    January 8, 2010 at 8:09 am — Reply

Jeremih (why did that boy change his name? making things complicated for no reason) is nominated for an Image Award. The only song I know him to sing is Birthday Sex. The same song I heard a 6 year old sing on the 4 Train to Brooklyn while her mother was looking on exclaiming "That is so cute. Look at her move like she got something".

Key words in the last paragraph: Jeremoo (no. really. what is this boy's name?), Image Award, 6 year old singing Birthday Sex.

I fear for my people.

4. @LiteraryNobody
    January 8, 2010 at 11:40 am — Reply

Yeah the whole thing is just another huge step back. Even my 10 and 12 year old were in disbelief when I told them about the nominations. I played, "Guess who was nominated" with them and my 12 yr old said, "Please, do not tell me that MJ's memorial was nominated!" Yes, NAACP this is the "image" you are inspiring. Shock and disbelief in preteens. Way to go Black Folks.

5. Michelle Huxtable
    January 8, 2010 at 2:23 pm — Reply

Girl! What you know about the Backyardigans?! I saw them live and I'm not ashamed to admit that I did not bring a younger relative. Yup. That happened.

6. Shawn.Smith
    January 8, 2010 at 3:30 pm — Reply

I'm surprised they didn't nominate Keeping Up With The Kardashians for best instructional programming. How to get an NBA player/Black man.

7. Lite Bread
    January 8, 2010 at 4:47 pm — Reply

OH MAN! I'm SO glad you said it, because I'd get 2520-flamethrowered to death doin' that! But I thought the exact same thing. Props to you Man!

But at least Messennce mag hit it up right and put him on the cover. For a "Black woman/Black man love issue" no less. Brrrrrawwwwwwwww! (Though he's in the NFL)

8. ChocolateKisses
    January 8, 2010 at 5:07 pm — Reply

Amen, Amen!!!! You must have heard the conversation I had with my mother. I swear The NAACP is sinking to a new low. I wonder who is on the nominating committee. Sad..sad…sad. Sandra Bullock??? Jesus wept.

9. Luvvie
    January 8, 2010 at 5:25 pm — Reply

Yeah NAACP needs to go reassess their lifespaces because this here is nothing but some bullshiggity.

10. teecolah
    January 8, 2010 at 5:46 pm — Reply

The en double lay see pee should be shot for this assortment of ridiculousity.

11. Luvvie
    January 8, 2010 at 6:07 pm — Reply

LMAO! Not the Crackyardigans!!! U kno u love that theme song! U aint gotta lie to kick it

12. Luvvie
    January 8, 2010 at 6:09 pm — Reply

Gurl yeah. 'Memba when Jeremih was still Jeremy at school? Mmhmm. And about the 4yr old singing "Birthday Sex." O___O iBlame urban youth parents for this nonsense. I REALLY do.

13. Luvvie
    January 8, 2010 at 6:11 pm — Reply

If a 12 yr old can realize that NAACP is being silly as hell, then there is something amiss. A damn shame.

14. Luvvie
    January 8, 2010 at 6:16 pm — Reply

Ok *cackles* iDied. U were NOT at a Barkyardigans show without a child. LMAO!!!

15. Luvvie
    January 8, 2010 at 6:17 pm — Reply

You're so right! There IS one Black man in Kardashians. That seems to be criteria enough for NAACP Image Awards. Wackness.

16. SoOverIt
    January 8, 2010 at 6:45 pm — Reply

On the NAACP website it says it is a multicultural show from an African American perspective…WTH!!! Where's the nomination for Darius Rucker for breaking into the country music scene? And to nominate RHOA is an endorsement at bad behavior. Really sad!

17. Tunde
    January 8, 2010 at 7:04 pm — Reply

not i ever watched the image awards show, after hearing the nominees i'm definitely not about to start now. matter of fact before the invention of twitter i hated all award shows. the only reason i halfway watch now is so i can laugh at the jokes on twitter. it s like a train wreck that you can turn away from.

18. @apiri922
    January 10, 2010 at 2:49 pm — Reply

I am NOT surprised by the NAACP's foolish nominations. They are just the latest historically respectable black organization that has gone downhill. Case in point: Last yr I volunteered for UNCF's(you know "a mind is a terrible thing to waste") run, bike, walk fundraiser in Chicago. It was a hot steaming mess. I'm sure Lou Rawls was embarrased in his grave that he ever supported the cause! The event was supposed to start at 7 but ended up starting at 10:30. Less than 100 people signed up for the race, yet 1000 folks were present in the line to get corn and hot links! They ONLY ordered size 2-XL t-shirts for the volunteers. Pookie an Ray Ray (which I assumed would/should be the recipients of the college fund) were even the coordinators for the volunteers.

These organizations really need to get it together and stop making black people look bad!

On a side note…in Lousiana Mulattos call themselves Mulatto and actually some are against non-mulatto dating…but that a whole other topic!

19. LoudPen
    January 10, 2010 at 4:07 pm — Reply

My goodness I have nothing to add. The NAACP absolutely has the pen silent on this one.

20. Marcie
    January 10, 2010 at 10:07 pm — Reply

Let me know about your DVD film and I'll help you created it.

21. NaturallyAlise
    January 11, 2010 at 4:31 am — Reply

I respect you for your Cosby reference: ""Theo, that is the DUMBEST thing I have ever heard." That was fantawesome.

22. Luvvie
    January 11, 2010 at 6:45 am — Reply

He aint just weep. He's *WALL SLIDING*

23. Luvvie
    January 11, 2010 at 6:45 am — Reply

Ok *dead* at "en double lay see pee". That is awesome

24. Luvvie
    January 11, 2010 at 6:46 am — Reply

Dont get me started on the NAACP website. Looks like it was created using MS Word web template. Womp

25. Luvvie
    January 11, 2010 at 6:47 am — Reply

I just may watch the Image Awards, just to do a recap of it and roast them to pieces. And yes, it is JUST like a train wreck u cant turn away from.

26. Luvvie
    January 11, 2010 at 6:47 am — Reply

THIS!!!

27. Luvvie
    January 11, 2010 at 6:48 am — Reply

NAACP don put the mute button on ur loud pen. Thats tragic

28. Luvvie
    January 11, 2010 at 6:48 am — Reply

Damb right! Thank ya kindly for recognizing it.

29. LoudPen
    January 11, 2010 at 12:32 pm — Reply

That's exactly how I feel. It's like there's so much foolishness going on at the NAACP Image Awards that I don't even have anything to say. I went to one of the NAACP Image Awards in Cincinnati as a kid, so I remember when it wasn't a complete joke. This turn of events saddens me & weirds me out at the same time. Nothing more to add on this one.

30. […] I got my phonecall from my sis reminding me to do a recap. Couple of months ago, I wrote about the NAACP Image Awards Nominees FAIL, and they just aired the event itself. On Fox. Yes, I’m shocked too. Well, then again. They […]