Social Media

Facebook is Not Charging Folks! Have a SEAT!

I logged into Facebook today and my newsfeeds is full of folks who have posted this as their status:

No. Just NO. This is false as hell. And I replied under some of them with “This is false” until I got tired of it. And I really kind of want to dropkick everyone who posted this.

Why would Facebook start charging money??? Do folks not realize that what makes Facebook so profitable is that it’s free? And we’re ALL willingly giving them information on ourselves, our lives, our habits and our whole way of existing? Facebook is the world’s biggest and most accurate focus group, so advertisers flock to it. Facebook makes a lot of money with those ads on the sidebars. They don’t need your rinky dinky $6.99 a month. They do not.

AND why would posting a janky status be the way to opt out? Folks, we have logic and reasoning FOR A REASON! Can we start using it?

The internet is great for passing on information really fast but rumors spread even faster. And no one does their own research anymore, when it’s as simple as GOOGLE. We’re all playing this game of telephone when the person who STARTED the game has the wrong information. I just want to ask everyone to make Google (and logic) their friend sometimes.

Don’t repost everything that makes you jump out your seat. Or fist pump. Once in a while, find out if it’s true. And this is a note for ME too, because I also do it sometimes. I gotta start double checking because these interwebs are full of wrong info.

But yes, everyone who posted that Facebook status, please go have a seat \__ \__. And for the people who ARE posting it in your newsfeeds, tell them to go take a nap. Say I sent you. Kthxbye.

Am I the only one annoyed by this?

1. Zimmy
    September 25, 2011 at 3:50 pm — Reply

No, you’re definitely not the only one annoyed by this foolery. If folks would only look at the login page (yeah, that opening page that says “It’s free and always will be”), they would get all the information they need to know. Instead they choose to trust complete strangers and pass on something totally unfounded and false. SMH.

• September 25, 2011 at 4:23 pm — Reply

I just really wish they’d THINK before doing. They shouldnta ever given folks copy and paste.

2. September 25, 2011 at 3:59 pm — Reply

\______ lie down somewhere. iQuit most of you.

• September 25, 2011 at 4:23 pm — Reply

RIGHT?!? smh.

3. September 25, 2011 at 6:43 pm — Reply

Kinda makes me wish they’d kept the 500 word limit on status updates. :0

4. Kenneth
    September 25, 2011 at 6:48 pm — Reply

This was my response on FB (the parentheses are all mine):

“IT IS OFFICIAL (…unofficially). IT WAS EVEN ON THE NEWS (AKA Twitter). FACEBOOK WILL START CHARGING DUE TO THE NEW PROFILE CHANGES (and the fact that Mark Zuckenberg need a new pool, PRONTO). IF YOU COPY THIS ON YOUR WALL (and pray to Afro Jesus) YOUR ICON (and your nipples) WILL TURN BLUE AND FACEBOOK WILL BE FREE FOR YOU. PLEASE PASS THIS MESSAGE ON (my little mindless pets), IF NOT YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED IF YOU DO NOT Pay (and you will develop a horrid yeast infection)”.

• September 25, 2011 at 9:22 pm — Reply

lol I’ve seen this one posted a few times:
      “On September 31st, 2011 Facebook will start charging you for your account. To avoid this, you MUST get NAKED, stand on your dining room table and do the Macarena, all the while singing ”I Will Survive”. After filming and posting it to your Facebook wall and YouTube, then, and only then, will Mark Zuckerberg come down your chimney to tell you that your account will stay free. Pass it on, it must be true because someone on Facebook I hardly know told me. ;)

I posted it on my cousin’s status when he posted that garbage and he deleted my comment. Left the FALSE status but deleted my comment. hmph

• September 26, 2011 at 11:09 am — Reply

Oh my sweet baby ray! *ROTFL* I wish I had this in my life when all those folks were posting that status in my news feed. I just let them know it was fraudulent, but no one listens when the package is this pretty. Wait, what?

5. September 25, 2011 at 9:20 pm — Reply

It seems like this and that “Numbers Game” won’t go away! They both pop up a few times a year.
    If I weren’t too good for jail, I’d start a PayPal account to have people “pay” their memberships to. Pay my car off a year early AND have my student loans murked!

• October 7, 2011 at 2:57 pm — Reply

And if I wasn’t beyond positive that Big Brother is watching I would surely join you.

6. September 26, 2011 at 8:45 am — Reply

well i hardly log onto facebook anymore with my new interest in tumblr. facebook is the pits to me now. i can see how that would bother you. it would bother me if i saw it as well.

7. naturalista88
    September 26, 2011 at 2:50 pm — Reply

*Lmao* @ Mark coming down the chimney like he Santa Claus. I’m not even sure why I still have a Facebook sometimes cause everything that goes on annoys the hell out of all my senses. I think I’m a glutton for punishment *shrugs*.

8. September 27, 2011 at 11:55 am — Reply

I usually subscribe to the notion that ALL CAPS=false. Someone I knew posted it, someone else told her it was a hoax, and she replied “yeah, probably, but just in case!” No, stop that. Bad Facebook acquaintance.

9. Dee
    September 28, 2011 at 5:50 pm — Reply

I tried to save a few people, but after the 22nd time I decided to just let Darwin’s theory of natural selection weed these fools out.

10. [...] Y’all gotta start applying logic and reasoning to the things you do online. In THIS case, using past history and lessons from similar situations to govern yourself accordingly so you don’t look like Booboo the fool. It’s like the time when I had to write a post telling people that contrary to ALL the status messages they were seeing, Facebook is NOT charging people for the service. [...]