TV

Reed Between the Lines is Not Good

A couple of weeks ago, “Reed Between the Lines” premiered on BET, and I watched it and wrote this review of my initial reaction. I was rooting for it for real. I know I’m a professional hater at times but I REALLY wanted this show to be good. I’m a fan of Tracee Ellis Ross and I think Theo Malcolm Jamal Warner is FAHNER than 1,000-thread count Egyptian cotton sheets. I wanted the show to be great. But it isn’t. Not even remotely.

After the first 2 episodes I saw, I figured it was just AIGHT and it’d get into a groove and improve. I was wrong. I’ve watched all 8 episodes they’ve shown so far and I can now confidently say that “Reed” is not a good show. I’ve given it many chances and it has failed me. After last night’s episode went off, I was in GChat talmto Mychal Denzel Smith (he writes #nshit) and he shared my sentiments. We basically went on a 30-minute long rant session. Here are our thoughts:

Mychal: I hate this show. A lot.

Me: I’m typically on hater mode. I’m all roast everything, but THIS hate is fully justified.

Mychal: And I think I hate it because I really wanted to give BET a chance. They seemed to be really trying to change their programming after about 15 years of relying on ass-shaking videos and finally investing in some original shows. A scripted sitcom with a primarily black cast is unheard of right now. But they dropped the ball on this.

Me: Man, I was actually giving BET the benefit of the doubt on this. I was excited for this show. And then…WOMP.

Mychal: The writing is abysmal. Like, it’s almost as if the writers have never seen television before. They read some “So You’re Gonna Be A Parent?” pamphlets at their local free clinic and decided “hey, let’s make a TV show about this.”

Me: LMAO!!! They were all “ok let’s do Cosby show 2011 but without all the funnies and interesting stories but with a laugh track” (-__-). The writing feels stunted. Nothing said on that show has made me laugh so far. And the dialogue seems tired. Not sharp. Or witty.

Mychal: It’s dry as hell. It’s straight out of a textbook. They’re not trying to tell stories about a family, they’re trying to teach black America about how to raise kids. If I wanted that, I’d take a parenting class. But I don’t have any kids. I wanna laugh.

Me: Well even if they didn’t make me laugh, that’s fine. But take out that tacky laugh track. Telling me when to laugh when your lines are bout as funny as homelessness is just not it. I’ve never expected them to make me laugh. I just wanted them to make me give a damb bout those characters. I checked my pockets and couldn’t find not ONE damb to give. This was me:

Mychal: I did though. I expected it to be a sitcom. I thought they’d at least TRY to be funny. But they seem content with “cute.” Which, if that’s what the focus of the show is, fine, but then this is more of an after school special than it is a primetime sitcom. On a cable channel, no less.

Me: Right. It’s cable so they can push the envelope. Instead, they stop short of GOOD writing. They have these sappy storylines with weak content.

Mychal: They don’t want to. I get this feeling they’re stuck on “positive” black characters and not realizing you can be “positive” and funny at the same time. They’ve had soooooo many opportunities to get some good jokes in. They’ve had opportunities to create conflict and mine it for humor. They’re too scared.

Me: Well the writing isn’t up to par but neither are some of those characters. Those twins? NO.

Mychal: I think the girl twin has potential. She could be more quirky and weird and it could come off well. The boy has ZERO charisma. And they have him dressed like a mix between Lil’ Wayne and Mr. T on his off haircut week, and that’s just not cutting it.

Me: LMAO!!! That NOHAWK gotta go! They dress him like the caricature of a teenager. Like some urban culture cartoon

Mychal: Right. They just have a lot of explaining to do. I don’t think they quite know who these characters are, and they don’t seem to be trying to find out.

Me: AND AND…they still won’t let us know how they became Theo’s kids. They have a biological dad they never speak about. It’s episode 8. Can we get SOME background?

Mychal: PLEASE! They’re calling him “dad” with ease, like his sperm is running through their veins, and I’m like “but HOW did they get to this point??”

Me: HA!!!! And when Theo got mad at the boy, the boy didnt even act like some folks would do. “YOU’RE NOT EVEN MY REAL DAD” coulda opened the door to more background. But NOOOOOO. They played it super safe.

Mychal: A perfect opportunity for some subtext, and they squandered it. Which is a running theme on this show. The twins seem like they’re supposed to be at odds with each other. But not really.

Me: Right. The twins have no chemistry that makes sense. They don’t really feel like siblings to me on any level. And where is some of the friction?

Mychal: They know the little girl is spoiled. But they don’t care. And the friction is where the comedy could come from. But nope, nothing.

Me: I’m annoyed by the squandered chance for greatness. They got great leading folks in Malcolm and Tracee. But they play them safe too. Plus, add the fact that he is essentially a house husband… that’s something else they haven’t even remotely explored.

Mychal: Nope. I have no reason why he’s homeschooling the girl. Just ’cause.

Me: 8 episodes in, there isn’t ONE storyline I’ve really cared about. I still barely know who that family is supposed to be. And I wanna get clippers myself and chop off the boy’s hair. All they’ve done is have a revolving door of guest stars. and even some of that has been a fail. Ron Artest playing Ron Artest poorly…

Mychal: This is something I really don’t understand. Why are you calling in all these celebrities and forgotten actors? It’d help if you dealt with the characters you have first, the ones with their names in the opening credits, before trying to go off on all these tangents. Like they had this unnecessarily long scene with the woman from “Amen” talking to her son over in Afghanistan or Iraq, I forget which one. WHAT DID THAT SERVE TO THE STORY???

Me: Right. Focus on the ones in the cast. None of these guest stars have made the show even slightly better.

Mychal: A parade of good looking black people is not going to save this show. And that’s the best thing I can say about this show so far. They all look nice.

Me: LOL YESSS THEO AND HIS TIGHT SHIRTS!!! I mean… you know. if you like that sorta thing. (-__-)

Mychal: …ANYWHO

Me: And Tracee Ellis Ross’ alphets have been dope. So there IS a silver lining to all this

Mychal: Tracee and Malcolm have good chemistry. They just don’t have good writing to play off that chemistry.

Me: True story. Alls I know is that I’ve given it plenty chances. I’m pretty much done. It’s simply not good. It doesn’t make me care. And it won’t let itself be great.

Mychal: I’m undecided if I’m going to watch next week. I’m a glutton for punishment. Plus, what else am I gonna watch at 10 pm on Tuesdays? The news?

Me: LOL. I’m also a glutton for punishment but watching the show makes me wanna throw my laptop sometimes sooooo I think I’ma just stop my punishment. I tried. Maybe on tuesday nights, I’ll take up knitting. Or go watch paint dry. Same difference.

Mychal: I’m gonna go read some pamphlets in the Planned Parenthood lobby.

Me: *nods* I support.

So yeah, those are my thoughts on that show. It’s full of unrealized potential, a great leading duo, writers who are afraid to write honestly, and a bunch of guest stars. And kid actors who don’t relate well to each other on screen. It’s just not good, In spite of Tracee Ellis Ross’ luxurious coiffure and Malcolm’s bulging biceps. And I’m honestly disappointed. *shakes the shoulders of REED* WE WERE ROOTING FOR YOU!!!

I watched it to support bourgeois Black programming but nawl. I did my best. It’s “positive” but bland. Like visual rice cake. I shall bow out. I won’t e’em blame BET too much. Although they do tend to have the opposite of the Midas touch on stuff. Midas turned everything to gold, and BET turns most things to crap so… yeah.

Anywho, have y’all seen it? Do you agree or am I being too hard on it? Either way… NAWL.

1. manda
    November 2, 2011 at 7:28 am — Reply

I agree with your assessment. I forget it even comes on being that I don’t watch EBT AT ALL. The little boy reminds me of a Mindless Behavior reject. REAL black folks don’t let that their 6-7 years walking around like they run the house. I just don’t get it. This is why Black programming does not exist on mainstream channels. Yet we have Love That Girl-boo, Tyler Perry might as well buy TBS, and now this one.

• November 13, 2011 at 2:05 pm — Reply

Ok LMAO @ mindless behavior reject. He just doesn’t curl all the way over for me.

2. Mo to tha
    November 2, 2011 at 8:39 am — Reply

*crys tears of joy* I’m so glad i’m not the only one. I was trying to give the show some time to get into a groove and they just can’t. Last night was yet another missed opportunity to talk about background that just fluttered away in the TV-wind.

Le-sigh. I mean really, the show is just so blah that I can’t even work up a good wall slide for the disappointment

• November 2, 2011 at 2:19 pm — Reply

“the show is just so blah that I can’t even work up a good wall slide for the disappointment…”

Daayaamb!!

• November 13, 2011 at 2:06 pm — Reply

“the show is just so blah that I can’t even work up a good wall slide for the disappointment”

WELP.

3. November 2, 2011 at 9:28 am — Reply

Ummm, yeah…that show is drier than a bag of Chex Mix…..iCant with them…good point on Tracey’s alphets though….

• November 13, 2011 at 2:06 pm — Reply

Drier than my hair in the winter time. WOMP.

4. Tan
    November 2, 2011 at 11:43 am — Reply

I didn’t realize I missed the shoe until I saw the email for your blog. I don’t feel bad either, so that pretty says how I feel. I did give it a chance but it is boring. Also watching Tracee I just get Joan with hubby and kids; still love her though.

• lala
      November 10, 2011 at 9:37 pm — Reply

I get that Joan vibe too. Joan who married a professor and has 3 kids. With all the focus on Tracee and her job, this show might as well be a Girlfriends spinoff.

• November 13, 2011 at 2:07 pm — Reply

Yeah I don’t know why they never focus on Theo’s job. Well, seeing as how he’s an online professor. (-__-)

5. bklynbajan
    November 2, 2011 at 12:58 pm — Reply

I agree with all that you said & I haven’t even watched all of the episodes. There are 5 sitting on my DVR that I’m ready to just delete without watching. My 75 year old mama even said this is a bad Cosby remix….real bad. I can’t and won’t defend it anymore. Shoot I didn’t even realize this was on last night – was watching Covert Affairs (USA Network). Even my DVR has given up on this LOL!

• November 13, 2011 at 2:08 pm — Reply

This show makes me miss the era of TV when writers were actually good. Your mama is right!

6. yadi
    November 2, 2011 at 1:19 pm — Reply

ditto…i tried but they need to try again. where did they get those writers from?

7. November 2, 2011 at 1:23 pm — Reply

I really wanted to like this. REALLY. But, I agree with everyone else, that laugh track has got to go. Just tell *interesting* stories!! It’s not hard!! Hell, a Cosby kid is producing the show and they still can’t get it right?! I tried, I did, really. Supporting GOOOD black shows is what we’d all like to do, right? Just b/c its a black family on a black channel doesn’t mean “do a subpar show, throw in a laugh track and whomp, there it is” and people will watch it. :( I get more fun from reruns of Living Single and A Different World, than I do from this new show, with characters I *could* like, but the stories give me no reason to become vested in this here cute family.

However, whoever is doing the styling for Theo and Joan needs a raise. I like the clothes. And sadly, that’s all I can say I like. :(

• lala
      November 10, 2011 at 9:42 pm — Reply

Watching this show makes me want to immediately re-watch episodes of Cosby, Different World, and The Parkers to be refreshed on how a black comedy sitcom SHOULD be done. All we want is interesting story lines, comedy, and touchy moments (without it being too preachy or cheesy). All we want is to laugh, cry, and aww. The show and their writers just don’t get it lol.

8. Smokie
    November 2, 2011 at 3:53 pm — Reply

I agree. I think I’ve given up on the show. It’s so so sooooo dry. I am pissed that the kids are calling Theo DAD. I mean WTF? Where they do that at? I would appreciate a realistic show. Not some perfect step kid situation. The twins don’t even look alike. And then that daughter makes it look like her mouth hurts when it moves. Theo and Joan (or whatever their names are on the show) could possibly have chemistry, but they don’t. Not really. And all of that kissing and ish they do. Come on. You aren’t newlyweds and you’re over 40. Be realistic. The show just pisses me off all around. And this is BET. It WON’T get any better. You see how they’ve turned the Game into some sh*tbull.

• boomeow
      November 10, 2011 at 9:48 pm — Reply

Yeah, I would love to see some tension between the kids and their STEPdad. I don’t buy the whole “dad” thing when the actors can’t muster much chemistry between each other. Yeah, the twin thing, I forgot that they were “twins.” Even if they aren’t identical twins, can’t they at least get two actors that look somewhat alike? The little girl on this show is just so pointless, she’s not cute or funny, she’s just obnoxious and spoiled. Oh, yeah, the forced point that “yeah, we are married, we are doctors, we have three kids, and we STILL get it on and have elaborate roleplaying sessions.” It’s too much, and it’s so not believable, especially since Malcom and Tracee have NO chemistry. They need to stop trying to be a Clair and Cliff Huxtable.

9. November 2, 2011 at 5:56 pm — Reply

Y’all hit the nail on the head. It makes me so very sad. I WANT this show to succeed, but the writing doesn’t curl all the way over.

• November 3, 2011 at 12:54 pm — Reply

That’s it exactly.

10. LTW_FTW (@Phllp_Wnslw)
    November 2, 2011 at 7:08 pm — Reply

I agree with EVERYTHING! From the empty plots to the absent father issue, this show has very poor direction. I cared more for Let’s Stay Together than this.

• November 13, 2011 at 2:30 pm — Reply

I’ve never seen “Let’s Stay Together.”

11. Toya
    November 2, 2011 at 8:53 pm — Reply

Wait. If we’re going to talk about this show, can we please address Love That Girl? I caught it for the first time last week and almost cried. It’s just… awful. I looked around my empty living room like, “is anybody else seeing what I’m seeing?”

• Elle
      November 3, 2011 at 9:32 pm — Reply

Love That Girl is trash indeed. Didn’t know they brought it back. I think Tatyana Ali, however you spell it, is gorgeous but this show is pathetic. And Martin hasn’t been funny for quite some time now. Black shows disappoint because they make us look simple. Like we just don’t get the subtleties of comedy. There are those of use who know what funny is. These shows can’t compete with shows like The Office, Modern Family, Mike and Molly, Big Bang Theory, etc.

• Elle
        November 3, 2011 at 9:33 pm — Reply

Meant “those of US”

• cheri
      November 25, 2011 at 1:08 am — Reply

I love it (your comment that is!) I feel the same way about Love that Idiot, No Comedy Between the lines, and The Lame Game. Black writers should go on strike until they can find some personality!!

12. [...] the original post: “Reed Between the Lines” is Not Good. It Actually Kinda Sucks No Comments Filed under: Today RSS Posted on: November 2nd, 2011 Tags: aids, birthday, [...]

13. November 3, 2011 at 12:48 am — Reply

*lights candle* I’m still holding out hope for Reed Between the Lines. I mean, I watched the entire trainwreck of a season that was Single Ladies, and the last season was kinda okayish. Kinda.

• November 4, 2011 at 1:19 pm — Reply

I’m with you, I’m still holding out hope. I think some shows come out the gate “womp-womp” but get better. I am watching for the outfits, the hair, and the fact that it’s a positive black comedy on the air. I don’t want the House of Payne’s and that other TP show to get all the ratings love and then “they” think that’s what we want to see & then only put mess like that on.

• November 12, 2011 at 2:56 pm — Reply

I agree with you k.Nicole. 100%.

• November 13, 2011 at 2:24 pm — Reply

I only watched that 1 pilot ep of “Single Ladies” and I was done. Which shows you how much I TRIED w/ “REED.”

14. November 3, 2011 at 10:00 am — Reply

Theo is not fine. And, yes…I really did come into your comment section to say only that. Lol

• November 13, 2011 at 2:16 pm — Reply

LMAO!!! You will not drop in just for that hateration.

15. Tonia
    November 3, 2011 at 4:40 pm — Reply

I too wanted to like this show but it is weak beyond belief.

• November 13, 2011 at 2:16 pm — Reply

WEAKER THAN *insert smart reference of weakness here*

16. G
    November 4, 2011 at 8:18 pm — Reply

I would rather see Theo at a school teaching in person rather this homeschooling online mess…he could be a young prof that would get on kids about tweeting or facebooking during class instead of paying attention…give insight on students futures since he’s only 40. and have a sharp appeal to the 18-25 yr old market of viewers.

• boomeow
      November 11, 2011 at 11:42 am — Reply

The problem I have with the online homeschooling is that it seems cheap and lazy, like the writers didn’t want to put much effort in showing that Malcom is a teacher which thus leaves Malcom nothing to work with besides showing that he’s grading homework or something. I would much rather have there be scenes of Malcom teaching in front of a classroom rather than the scenes of Tracee and her silly therapy sessions.

• November 13, 2011 at 2:17 pm — Reply

You’re absolutely right. And them making him an online professor is a huge copout and a way for them not to challenge themselves to come up with good storylines. I’m really disappointed in the quality of this show.

17. Cheerokee
    November 5, 2011 at 8:42 pm — Reply

WOW !! I agree with all of you and that was decided on the second episode…well I know when to give up….but I tuned in two weeks later to see if it worked…It just doesn’t…one thing I enjoy is my T.V. and I know good comedy…rather watch reruns of Cosby, Different World or the Parkers…the Parkers just give us “great” laughter all the time, I had to watch that to get my laugh on after RBTL…BET pls get some better writers and actors that make us laugh..

• November 13, 2011 at 2:18 pm — Reply

YES INDEED!

18. November 8, 2011 at 9:56 pm — Reply

That’s unfortunate….Love me some Theo!!!!

• November 13, 2011 at 2:15 pm — Reply

HIGHLY unfortunate.

19. November 9, 2011 at 12:26 am — Reply

Wow Luvvie you hit this on the head so hard…. smh le sigh

Goona RT to @BET so they can get a clue!!!

• November 13, 2011 at 2:14 pm — Reply

You da bess! LOL BET gon be all “who she think she is???”

20. lala
    November 10, 2011 at 9:27 pm — Reply

“They’re not trying to tell stories about a family, they’re trying to teach black America about how to raise kids. If I wanted that, I’d take a parenting class. But I don’t have any kids. I wanna laugh.”

That one comment sums up everything. Instead of telling us a story about a family, all they’re doing is enforcing a slew of “teachable family moments” while trying to pretend that this is a comedy. Whether or not somebody has kids, the audience shouldn’t have to be preached and lectured to about how we should approach subjects about natural hair, porn, politics, etc. to our teens and kids. Even those poignant teachable family moments come off as very rehearsed and forced. I’m just not buying it. And the show is just not funny. I know they’re trying to be another Cosby Show, but a Cosby Show it is not.

The biggest problem is that there’s NO chemistry between any of the actors. I’m not convinced that we’re watching a family, all I see is a bunch of attractive actors who are delivering lines instead of portraying characters for us to relate to. Another one of its biggest problem is that there’s NO character development and NO storyline as to the family’s background story. There seems to be a lot of questions about this family that we really want to know but hasn’t yet been explored, and I have a feeling that this show won’t bother answering it for us.

The laugh track drives me nuts. I find it almost insulting. This show is trying so hard to be a comedy that it’s pitiful. I can’t stand how there’s just too much focus on Tracee’s character and all the antics that go on at her job and with her inept, obnoxious, unprofessional coworkers. I get that the “therapy sessions” are an excuse to have a lot of guests stars, but it’s so unnecessary and longwinded. The kids, I’m sorry, but they’re so boring and forgettable. The girl twin has some potential but she doesn’t seem to have any material to work with, the boy is just uninspired, and the little one is just too spoiled to be likeable or appealing. The show also suffers for having such weak and tired storylines. All the scenarios so far have been done to death in other sitcoms, but the other sitcoms did it better (without needing a laugh track to tell us that it is funny).

I would be extremely surprised if this show makes it to a second season. I think a lot of people are supporting it but for the wrong reasons. We shouldn’t support it just because it’s a positive black sitcom. We shouldn’t praise it just because the show has managed to touch every teachable parent moment that one may encounter at home with their kids. This show should be funny, it should be entertaining, it should have better writers, it should make us believe that for 25 minutes we are watching a real family, but at episode 8, it has done nothing. So sad and annoying.

• November 13, 2011 at 2:14 pm — Reply

ALL. OF. THIS.

21. November 12, 2011 at 2:34 pm — Reply

Why do people have a problem seeing step children calling their stepfather dad? Why do the twins have to be at odds with each other? Do we need to see dysfunction to be entertained?

It’s not laugh-out-loud funny, but I’m all for seeing a family functioning a loving each other, even if it is a bit corny.

I like the show.

• November 13, 2011 at 2:12 pm — Reply

It’s not that we have a prob seeing the kids call him dad, but it’d be good to know a little bit on how they got to that point. We’ve been given no background on this family to explain their dynamic.

• November 14, 2011 at 2:20 pm — Reply

If they had developed the backstory that deeply within the first 10 episodes of the first season, I’m sure there would be complaints about them not stretching it out. I agree that the show could use more laughs. The writing definitely has room to grow. I’m just willing to give them time to work that out. I guess, like some TV watchers, I’m a bit desperate to see the positive facet of black American family life (there are thousands of families like the Reeds–just because some of us aren’t in them/have witnessed them, doesn’t make them “unrealistic”), that I’m willing to keep a candle burning for the show. While I’m not lol’ing during every episode, I am entertained. Reed may not have hit the nail on the head, but out the gate, they’ve tried to give us a positive, smart, black family sitcom. Hopefully they’re taking in all the criticism and will improve the writing, while upholding the positive black family image.

• meow
      November 13, 2011 at 9:19 pm — Reply

Nobody said that they wanted “dysfunction.” We just want real storylines that are realistic and not corny and safe. Being “at odds” just means that it would be more fun and interesting if the twins had more conflict with each other, like brothers and sisters do. After all, conflict is what creates or drives a plot, without conflict of some kind, there is not much of a plot to begin with. I’m all for seeing a functional family as well and loving each other, but without there being some tension or conflict somewhere, it’s just dry and boring.

• November 14, 2011 at 2:25 pm — Reply

The light-hearted conflict in Reed so far has been no different from what we saw on the Cosby Show. The Cosby Show’s story lines were also “corny and safe”. Yes, the writing needs major improvement. That is a fact. Still, I think some people who are tuning in to Reed and hating it are probably looking for typical TV black family dramedy that seems to drive the popularity of Tyler Perry’s family sitcom audiences on TBS as well as on the black reality shows.

• meow
          November 15, 2011 at 12:37 am — Reply

The Cosby Show wasn’t “corny and safe” though, it was just fun and entertaining, the storylines actually made you laugh and were realistic, and they had better writers and of course the comedic genius of Cosby that made the show brilliant. Reed is NOTHING like the Cosby Show. Nobody said that they wanted another Tyler Perry family sitcom, we have that already, why would we ask for the same thing out of a completely different show? I think people are just asking for this show to have stronger storylines and more relatable characters/situations, and for there to be some chemistry between the actors. Reed just hasn’t established that, period, plain and simple.

22. BlackOnyx03
    November 12, 2011 at 11:04 pm — Reply

Ohmigoodness – get outta my head! You took all the words right out of my mouth. In fact, I just watched a DVR’d episode and immediately googled “Reed Between the Lines sucks” — and your blog came up!

I read your first review and was totally feeling it, and this one is right on the money too! (Well, except for the Theo being fine part — he is not…he used to be back in the day, but not now). Everything about this show is sub-par. I really wnat to like this show. I reallllllly do. But it’s just so hard…

• November 13, 2011 at 2:11 pm — Reply

I REALLY tried to give it a chance. Which is why I watched 8 full eps before writing this review. But alas…

And Theo still FAHN! Maybe it’s the muscles.

23. Jazz
    November 17, 2011 at 2:32 pm — Reply

I still watch it, even though its not good. I figure if I can support BBball exes , and Jim Jones lady fight someone , I can support Tracee and Theo. Why is the little girl homeschooled????

24. Poetry23
    November 28, 2011 at 11:36 pm — Reply

I watched Sunday nights episode and the plot of the story was relevant to issues with our service men and women returning home dealing with PTSD. This may have been the only highlight of the season. This show is so very disappointing; bad writing, poor acting and serves no purpose when it comes to entertaining the viewers. I think I’ve enjoyed watching paint dry vs. any episode that has aired thus far. BET we are begging you for quality programming with real actors; not some wanna be CAST that’s trying to be the COSBY SHOW. We love children and never want to say anything negative; but you could have actually cast some kids who can really act and able to be funny; and neither has been demonstrated thus far.

• Nay
      December 10, 2011 at 12:15 pm — Reply

I agree with you, however, the kids could possibly be good actors It’s just the roles they were put in. hopefully it wont hurt their future. Malcolm and Tracy Ross are professionals and they arent even good.

25. wanjiru
    December 9, 2011 at 1:02 pm — Reply

I enjoy watching the show with my 10 yr Old daughter. I love the teachable lessons at the end of each show. I love the family dynamics and the fact that there is a different perspective on TV on Black family life.

Home Schooling, that’s pretty common these days and I can see it happening given that Theo is an English professor.

Could it be that most are being so hard on this show only because we have waited to have a positive Black family on TV that steps away from the stereo types for so long and now that its here we are tearing it apart and over analyzing it.
    Personally I will continue to DVR and watch the show and I look forward to see their growth.

26. RonR
    December 10, 2011 at 6:56 am — Reply

Ok! I somewhat agree with just about everyone on here. However…if your gonna talk about bad black shows then why in the hell have none of you mentioned Tyler Perry’s bunk a@@ shows. I have NEVER in my life laughed at any of his episodes of the trash he puts out. I mean…he invented the “Laugh Track” and the SUPER STUPID UNECESSARY LIGHTING on set. All of his actors are bad actors and are rehashed washups of anything he puts it. I can go in on him and his work all day. But, back to Reed,Love,The Game & Let’s Stay. All of which I have watched and have my ups and down with all of them. RBTL is….ummmm…I just don’t know yet. The show is like really wanting to meet a girl in the club because she’s so fine and when you finally talk to her, take her out (outside) of the club. You just don’t know why or can’t figure out if you even like who you were eager to meet or even want her around you anymore. It’s SLOWLY picking up a little more direction into other scenes and or lifestyles of other characters. Mainly ep. 17 through 20. But hell..it took 16 episodes before we even see that. And to me that to damn long. It definately has it’s issues. I do hate all the lovey dubey stuff in every scene with reed & reed. The kids are good actors but it’s something about their dialog or scene set up that sometimes gets lost and fades from paper unto screen. If this is a comedy then yes!!! Give me laughs, gives me jokes, give me new ish that i’ve never heard before. That’s what will keep me watching. It’s just average & i’ve tried & will keep giving it a chance to see if it improves. It’s new so I won’t TOTALLY dismiss it. But come on writers….Step ya game up. Just as someone said. Our(black) shows will never compete with the other highly rated white shows ie…30rock/how i meet your mother etc. Black people know funny. And we get and need it from our pain. Now as for The Game….yeah! It went into a new direction but it’s still got the gloss and I will continue to watch it. It’s been the bomb every since and will give BET the benefit of doubt to see where it will go. I just hope they don’t let me down. As for LoveThatGirl….I have to say..as a BET alternative. TVOne is where I go. It’s okay and it can be better but it does have way more of a real black raw humor feel than anything else on cable tv. If you watch it back to back you can see the wave of inconsistencies of laughter and or realism. Some episodes are the ish and others leave you saying “what the hell was that for 22 minutes of an episode”. So, you be the judge. All it needs is consistent flow and non-stop raw humor and it will grow on you for wanting more. They need minor tweaks here and there for it to be a smash hit. As it is the #1 show on TVOne. SingleLadies kept my attention as I wanted to continue their storyline. There were few tweaks that I could see in making it better and the writers of that show do and can keep ones attention. So, with that being said. I can’t wait for Season2. And finally, LetsStayTogether. I tried giving it a chance and it just kinda feel short for me. IDK if the writing balanced the acting or if the scene setups just looked so bland and fake that my eyeballs wouldn’t allow me to watch. I mean…i laughed a few times when I caught a scene or two but that’s about it. I won’t be at Walmart in line saying “Oh man…my show is about to come on” “I gotta get back to the house so I won’t miss LST”. Again…you be the judge. Whatever happened to the real funny sitcoms like Martin, Jamie Foxx show etc…I mean they didn’t try hard at being funny the shows just went over the top while it was funny. IDK…you tell me? I guess until then…I’ll just keep watching my Martin reruns until there is a funny enough show that will keep my interest.

27. RonR
    December 10, 2011 at 7:10 am — Reply

OH….How could I ever forget. As I TOTALLY forgot to mention. EVERYBODY HATES CHRIS and My WIFE & KIDS Yaaahhh!!!! I watch them as much as I do my Marin dvds. And this was way before BET got on the bangwagon and started airing syndicated reruns. Both of them of which I can never get tired of watching. As to lightly put it….are just damn good, funny black tv shows. What more can I say. I tell myself all the time “I wish they would have continued atleast 2 more seasons of each show”. But I guess we have to wait another whenever before we get shows of this magnitude. While both shows are killing them in the syndication zone. I mean who the hell else is syndicated as highly as both of these showe in other major countries where there is hardly cable/sattelite. That’s speaks for something. So….SORRY EHC & MW&K! Get that syndication paper and good job on bringing the laughter heat.

28. Tiffany
    December 15, 2011 at 9:22 am — Reply

I personally like this show. I really don’t get the harsh criticism. I think it’s overall a cute show. There are times when I think, “they could have left that out” or “get a room”, but overall it’s a cute show. I’m not dying laughing, but I wasn’t dying laughing about the Cosby show either. I LOVE the COSBY show, and this is not the Cosby Show, but it is a cute show about a positive black family.

Some may think there needs to be more conflict or drama, but I don’t. I think if they keep moving forward the show will get better. Think back to the pilot of the Cosby Show (which I did not watch until it was a rerun) but that episode was not the best either. The lines were a little forced and they used almost all of Bill Cosby’s lines from his stand-up comedy show. In fact, the Cosby show was CANCELLED from CBS before NBC picked it up….it just goes to show you, that you have to be patient with new shows.

29. Rob (Atlanta)
    December 20, 2011 at 7:24 am — Reply

BET needs to cancell this show and then call up TBS and have that show for better or worse pulled right along with it.

• kel
      December 20, 2011 at 6:51 pm — Reply

You’re right about “Better or Worse”..this show makes African Americans look terrible..Especially Black women. I dated a Hispanic lady before about 7 years ago. She said all black women had attitudes. She was basing her judgment off of tv shows..go figure right? It’s funny because the town this lady lived in was Yuma Arizona where only about maybe 5 black families lived out of 100k people.

30. kel
    December 20, 2011 at 6:40 pm — Reply

You guys got to be kidding me..This show is great..the problem is that we haven’t seen a show where African American act like they have sense and possess an educational background. Because we don’t have enough shows like this is the reason white people see black people as ignorant, inferior and even not beautiful. Why don’t you think there’s ever been an African American Bachelor or Bachelorette? Those Tyler Perry shows are funny but Black people aren’t just funny and acting like chickens running around with our heads cutoff. Black people need to stop looking for drama. If you want drama go Look at Atlanta Housewives or that new Tyler Perry show “For Better or Worse. This is why Africans and other foreigners immigrating to this country stay clear of African Americans because they think we’re up to nothing but trouble and drama. The news isn’t showing African Americans in a positive limelight so we shouldn’t give them anymore to talk about in addition to drama filled ridiculous shows. Whoever thinks this show “Reed Between the Lines” show should be taken off the off doesn’t have a clue and is still in that Sambo slave mentality. Personally, I enjoyed watching every single episode. Once there are more shows with positive African American cast such as the ones in Reed Between the lines we will start to see a change in more positive casted roles for “Black People” in movies.

31. kel
    December 20, 2011 at 6:54 pm — Reply

I love this show..it’s better than watching Lil Wayne run around with his pants half way off his bottom saying he doesn’t want kids with bad hair anymore..

32. Chims
    January 29, 2012 at 6:08 pm — Reply

U all have gotta be kidding me! I echo what Kel said. All if u looking for drama and realistic plots are the same ones that will cry foul when someone from a different culture calls u ignorant and dramatic. The show is awesome, and what is wrong with the positive family lessons it teaches? U can never please people i swear. People were complaining of how BET music videos were teaching kids negativity, and now positivity is here and people still complain?! GOH!

PS: Like someone said, just cos u dont have or have never seen a family structure like the one the Reeds have doesnt mean its not “realistic”! I happen to have a similar family structure and can relate. I also think its time that many black families learn from this and stop reduce these appalling statistics! I esp love Malcom’s role as dad…strong black man who loves his wife, step-kids and daughter dearly and have a career! Maybe many of u are mad cos u are lacking that perhaps??

33. IfYouEverComeBack
    February 12, 2012 at 12:14 am — Reply

Man I watched exactly two episodes of this show and gave up. I just couldn’t it was just full of fail, only thing going is that they are a good looking family.