The Time Michael Jackson and Eddie Murphy Did a Duet

[ 37 ] December 21, 2011 |

Man, I be minding my own business when y’all bring stuff to my attention that I was previously oblivious to, thereby ruining my innocence and making me roast into oblivion. My homette, Veronica Marche, tweeted this link to me yesterday talmbout: “Where’s Luvvie? I need to know if she’s ever seen this video.” I, like a fool, clicked it and here’s what met me:

“Whatzupwitu.” Wait. I don’t understand. Did Michael Jackson (rest his soul) lose a bet that forced him to record this song AND make the equally crappy video with Eddie Murphy? I need to know. For reasons. He HAD to have. We already know that Eddie’s musical career is chock full of bad decisions. But the King of Pop had no excuse to do this. NONE.

That video must have been edited using the first ever edition of MS Paint. All them music notes and hearts flying around the screen. The early 90s were a tacky time in music videos. Not tacky like now where everyone is naked but tacky as in every video looked like a MySpace page. Hmmm… maybe 90s videos were actually futuristic then.

I thought “Party all the time” was bad, but that looks like “Man in the Mirror” compared to this one. “Whatzupwitu?” Was that raggelly spelling supposed to make this song cool? Because it didn’t. Some balding producer came up with the name and said “all the hip kids will love it.” WE DON’T. Well, this came out in 1993 and I was 8, and certainly not cool then. Nor am I now. BUT IF I WAS, I still wouldn’t vibe with this.

Fifty Shades of NO

Yeah. Y’all can’t tell me MJ didn’t lose a bet. He did. That is my story and I’m sticking to it. Meanwhile, I will not let Eddie Murphy’s music career cook. Or bake. Or boil. Or simmer lightly. I just won’t allow it to even toast.

“Eddie Murphy’s music career is his most successful joke yet.” – Veronica.

And to Veronica. I AM JUDGING YOU. For introducing this to me, my judging eyes are upon you. If I was petty, I’d let everyone know you owned Eddie’s album. But I’m not. So I won’t. I should block you from my life for introducing this to me. I was living a blissful life of ignorance to this foolishness. BLISSFUL, I SAY! Now I know that MJ did this crappy record with Eddie. V’s lucky I love her. LOL

Oh yes! I forgot. Can we talk about Eddie’s tucked-in tank top in the video? I bet yall money he had on church dress shoes that go “click clack” if you walk on tile. I JUST KNOWED HE DID. Eddie looked like he knew he was FAHN in his singlet. I’m glad I didn’t see any taco meat. Because that’s what I wouldn’t be able to handle.

No SMDH gif

Ennehweighs, I had to share!

Tags: , , ,

Category: Music, Videos

1. RozB says:

You did not address the rodeo belt he was wearing or the fantastic high-top fade S-Curl he had.

Wazupwit the pressed jeans, or the little boys skipping all over the place? I don’t think the visual had anything to do with the song.

I bet if you tried to play this video at Eddie’s house during a party or something, you would hear the record scratch and then you would be thrown out.

Like Rick James (a la Dave Chappelle) said: “Shoulda neva gave y’all Nuccas money!”

2. crissle says:

luvvie you are soooo late on this one! this has been a tragedy for a long long long time.

3. Lisa says:

Ummmm. I been knew about this like when it first came out. Maybe MY old is showing…

4. Ms. Williams says:

All the floating around stuff reminds me of Prince’s video “Eye Wish U Heaven”. When I saw that “YES” floating by, I cracked the heck up. I’ve seen this video like four times–twice when it came out originally, one more time because I foolishly looked it up on YouTube, and right now.

XD Imma be singing this all day now.

5. Bukky says:

Luvvie you just killed me with one word… “singlet”
    I have no other words for this video…I know they were good friends, so I doubt it was a lost bet…prolly more like one night after partying hard, both were like “Why did we NOT do a video together??” And they proceeded to make that happen…most likely at 3:56 in the morning.

• Tonia says:

Lol……this do seem like one of those stupid things you do long after you shoulda been sleeping. This is old to me but it has to be one of the WORST vids Eva…. lol at Luvvie comment on the church shoes…..

6. Silk! says:

I was more disturbed by the moments when I thought Eddie would kiss Michael.

Eddie should have worn one of the leather suits from Raw/Delirious…..but that wife beater…where have I see this before?

Oh yeah…”In the Closet” with MJ and Naomi, which came out two years before this nightmare. Note the similarities….

I’m scared. Someone hold me.

7. Trina says:

0:58 was all I could take. I didnt wanna see if Eddie finally got to kiss Mike at the end. I had heard this song before but I never knew who sung it or SAW the video. And yes I am pissed off with you and V. Both of yall go have one of them seats you always pulling out for someone.

8. LB says:

Yer Mostest Awesomelynessis,
    Now ya gone an’ done it! I’m playin’ Party All the Time rites now. Just because. Ricky musta had too much Mary Jane before’s this.

And … “singlet”?! Girl, I wear’s those! But they to race in, ‘cause I’m a Kenyan (in my mind) when’s I run.
    L “Looky at my nipples” B

9. bklynbajan says:

I haven’t seen this video in years. It was hip in its time you just wasn’t up on it yet. MJJ, Eddie and the Boys Choir of Harlem how could it fail? (*sarcasm*)

I mean it wasn’t top 10 material but it beats half the garbage I heard on the radio last time I turned it on.

10. Cosmolude says:

Lol, this is one of the worst videos ever!! I remember seeing this video when it first came out. Unfortunately I’ve seen it more times than I should have because I used to have a VHS tape of my cousin’s birthday party and someone recorded (the party) over some of the video. At the end of the birthday party, the tape skips to the middle of this music video. The last time I watched the video, I had noticed how close Eddie was to Michael and how it looked like he was really trying to kiss him.

• chanel says:

LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO THIS HAD ME DYIN!!!!!!! how u gonna watch a birthday party and get interrupted by this fuckery? LMAOO

#memoriesruined

11. mennabop says:

Ma’am, I cannot believe that you, connoisseur of all things ratchet, had never seen that.

The best thing Eddie Murphy ever did musically was singing “To Be Loved” in Coming to America. Everything else is pure comedy, but the joke’s on us for listening to it.

12. Sub-rosa says:

Girl it’s times like this that I remember that you are just a jitterbug. I can’t even lie this song is catchy and I can remember doing the Cabbage Patch to it in my mama’s kitchen. LOL

13. KB says:

I could be wrong, but I think this song was on/for Saturday Night Live. It was supposed to be a joke.

14. SquarerootZ says:

You must not have been aware of this Eddie Murphy video with Shabba either then > > http://youtu.be/jFrQfeI0wFA

15. Afromorena says:

LOL! I can’t believe you had not seen his before. I actually remembered seeing the debut of this video . . . I was around seven or eight years old. I was a MJ stan, but even I was like “WTF?!” lol. I remember me and my little brothers laughing for days over that video.

16. Somehow this one got by me. I have never heard of it. I DID actually own Eddie’s PARTY ALL THE TIME album. I don’t know why. It is one of those shameful things from my past.

17. Tim says:

It’s not that bad, y’all.

18. Jasmine says:

I do remember this video back in the day, and I’m not ashamed to say that I thought it was good….back then. lololol

19. emily Taylor says:

hey guys…. i remember this video. back in the days i used to think it was pretty cool to be honest :P but now… not so much.. hahaha why would MJ even make such a bet :(

20. motoons says:

A lot of people lost bets on this other Eddie Murphy song.
    He got a sh** ton of big names to sing the word “YEAH” over and over again. MJ, Janet, Luther, Patti, Stevie…

21. Alicia D. says:

Hell NO.

22. Simone says:

Here is where I was dead: “Well, this came out in 1993 and I was 8, and certainly not cool then. Nor am I now. BUT IF I WAS, I still wouldn’t vibe with this.” *sighs and cries* I tell ya!

23. imjustsaying says:

R.I.P. M.J. Eddie u look silly.

24. Cross says:

Probably did it to get Eddie Murphy to stop using him as his main theme in his Stand-ups.

25. luvlee83 says:

I.C.A.N.N.O.T and after watching this I am slightly high.

26. Juanita Cato says:

At that time Eddie Murphy was the hottest comedian/actor and Michael was priviledged to share the song with him. Know your history young people! That video was epic! Lol!

27. msjai says:

So you’re just going to ignore Michael’s bald edges and Eddie’s whispering sweet nothings in Mike’s ear.

28. Flylibrarian says:

Nice to know that all the leftover Beverly Hills Cop badges were put to good use as Eddie’s belt.

But I have to admit that I have enjoyed an Eddie Murphy album. So Happy was a good recordt. I said it. And I rebuke thy side-eye and employ a Three Stooges eye poke block. So there.

29. Etomi says:

“Whassupwitdat?” Michael and Eddie in a bromance on a video man-date with a bunch of little boys providing additional entertainment.
    WHAAAAAAT?

30. mrzyelware says:

What’s going on? What is he saying? Why is he so close to Michael? Why’d they keep shaking hands? What does this mean? Why did this take place? What’s going on??!!! I’m soooo confused!!!

31. KayDee says:

Luvvie, you wrong for this! You just caused some poor soul to have a major setback after three decades of therapy. They done wasted ALL these years healing and moving forward from this…and you just post it like you done gave us all a gift. SMH…I’m throwing you a major side-eye! Had blocked this from my mind and now I am full of questions and concerns!

32. Random Person says:

I think they had a little too much fun smoked a little something, and this is the product.Because…….The King of Pop doesn’t lose bets, isn’t this far out( i mean the B52′s weren’t this far out)and no. just no.