Louis XIII Liquor Costs HOW MUCH?

[ 71 ] May 9, 2012 |

I walked into this DOPE Walgreens they just opened on State Street here in Chicago, and got my LIFE. First of all, the Walgreens is 2 floors, and they got everything! They even have a sushi bar (where the chef makes it for you to order) and a fro-yo spot where you can get flavors like coconut and strawberry banana. You know a place is fancy when it has frozen yogurt!

This Walgreens is LAIDT like a baby’s blanket. And I lost myself in it for like an hour. So on the 1st floor, there’s a whole section for “wine and spirits” and it was extensive. They had every drank (yes, drank) you could want. The day I went, they were even giving our Ciroc the day I went. FREE LIQUOR AT WALGREENS, Y’ALL! Yes, this place is everything. If they had a DJ and women in leaning kitten heels and fishnet, it woulda been a club!

So I walked around just looking to see all the names of drinks I didn’t know. There was a section that held premium liquor, in locked glass shelves. So to get any of the drinks in there, an employee would have to open it with a key. I started seeing names I recognized (because rappers talked about them). Courvoisier, Crown Royal, Cristal… Hip hop taught me these are what the cool kids drink, so I wasn’t surprised that they were hella expensive. $249, $449. DANG! But those were clearly small timers compared to the one that took ALL my attention.

Louis XIII Liquor

Louis XIII.

Apparently, he’s not just a French king, but eternal life in cognac form. It was the bottle highest up, and it’s display looked a bit more glowy. Why? Because the label under it said $1,999.99.

*faints*

Do they mean pesos? Are those in dereon dollars? 2,000 AMERICAN dollars for one bottle of DRANK? FOR WHY? WHAT??? Why does it cost so much?

Does it guarantee immortality?

Does it help banish Voldemort?

Did someone scoop Moses’ desert sweat and call it Louis XIII?

Did one drop of Jesus’ tears fall into a batch?

Does one drop of this drink get me drunk AND high?

Is the glass unbreakable?

Does this thing pour itself?

Is this the Fountain of Youth in a bottle??

Do Louis the first through the twelfth come out and sing as I enjoy this cognac?

I have so many questions. For reasons.

Seriously. Can someone explain why this one bottle of libation cost a ton of dollars? I need to know. The bottle is all:

Cant Afford Me Liv Scandal gif

If I ever buy a drink that costs that much, I won’t share it with a soul. NO. MA’AMS or SIRS. Folks would ask me for a sip and I’d be all “HELL NAWL! You know how much this costs?” and then I’d mean mug them for even having the audacity to ask me. I’d be all:

Shiiidddd a $2,000 drink better run a background check on everyone that comes near it. I’m just saying.

But really. Why does it cost this much? I ask. For reasons. I hope you know.

Tags: , , , ,

Category: Random

Sites That Link to this Post

1. 18 Creative Liquor Bottles You’ll Keep Long After They’re Empty | March 7, 2013
  1. embraceurcrazy says:

I wish I knew boo. LOL. Let me know when they get a DJ so I can visit Club Walmart. We’d never get anything like that in DC.

“If they had a DJ and women in leaning kitten heels and fishnet, it woulda been a club!” *murked*

2. YeahTam says:

Luvie you are a wonderful writer. In my grandma’s words “the Lord is gonna bless you!”.

But this line took me out and made me holler in the office everybody is looking at me like I need a drug test or something -> “I might not even share it with myself. Do I REALLY know me that well? I’d have to have a conversation with me, talmbout “Now Luvvie, if I give you some of this, I need to know you got my back for life.”

::DIES in laughter::

3. GloBug says:

Surely they meant 2000 yen.
    Cz for 2000 American dollars, this drink better do sum special things to me at night. And talk good shit in my ear the whole time. Tell me it loves me, I’m the only one, etc.

4. Joanndith says:

LMBO! @ This whole post. The Jeroboam (sp?) version of this cognac costs $23k. *faints @ Club Wal-greens*

5. laurakeet says:

It’s a genie in a bottle, baby. You just gotta rub it the right way – and out pops a doppelganger that can go to your day job for you and not back-talk your boss. Or, it can FIND a job. This would at least justify the $2k as it would eventually pay for itself…

6. Jaz says:

I just want to know is it laced with platinum or 24k gold? I saw this bottle and I was shocked. I mean 2k for a bottle- naw son, I’d rather buy some fly bags and shoes (or pay down that fool Sallie)

7. vandervecken says:

Knowing why I never go to Walgreen’s, that bottle is probably $8 at Crown. Actually I worked in a restaurant where that bottle was $8,500. Here are some facties I betcha didn’t know: 1. people buy it for the same reason dogs lick their nuts. 2. if you pay with something other than a 2 pound black metal AMEX, you’re a crass, high-maintenence douchebag who can’t hold his money or his liquor. 3. if you’re gonna swill that in a public place, you also paid exactly 25% as much for the girl you’re with. 4. you’re not going to tip, so F off.

The proper way to enjoy this is in the privacy of one’s mansion, either alone or with a toadying senator, whilst plotting to screw poor people. Only then can you appreciate eleven pounds of hand-blown crystal for what it is: an empty liquor bottle.

• Porschea20 says:

Also this $8500 bottle is one of only 2000 and the bottle itself is made of swarovski crystal. It was aged in wooden barrels for 200 years. I work at a 5 diamond hotel and we sell a shot for $550 plus tax and an 18% gratuity. The only up side to ordering this drink at my hotel is that if you purchase the last shot we give you the bottle and it’s original box. The bottle is worth $1600.

• Jay Scott says:

Actually, the Bottle is Baccarat Crystal. I’ve been behind a bar for 18+ years and have only sold 3 shots. We sell 2 1/4 oz. of Louis for $250. I just BROKE A BOTTLE today that was 3/4 full. NO JOKE!!

• charles says:

Can you tell the Chain you work at. I know Intercontinental Hotel in Cleveland has it by the shot for $100. I thought that was too much but you drink where Prince of Saudi Stayed for a Year.

8. CaliGirlED says:

LMAO @ Luvvie and GloBug!!!

9. Stace says:

“Does it help banish Voldemort?”

I CANNOT!!! Girl where ya been.. my work edays have been bleak without this ratchedneess!!

Voldemort..BWAHHHAAAHH

10. KayMac81 says:

$2000 for some drank?!??! Shooot….we go together, and Ol Louis better do the dishes when we get home!!

11. African Mami says:

dereon dollars?!

Lawwwwwd you are so damn hilarious!!!

12. Cheekie says:

GIRL! That State Street Walgreens is every single thing. I remember I raved about it all up and through Twitter and folks didn’t believe such a fancy Walgreens could exist. Me either! And upstairs is like a mini Sephora! LOVE.

And WHAT THE ENTIRE HAYLE. I didn’t see that LV liquor and it’s probably good for my back because I probably woulda collapsed right on that floor had I seen that price. LAWDT.

13. Marsha S. Haneiph says:

Luvvie, your questions left me for dead. However, as a card-carrying food nerd, I know why it costs so much…

14. Drea says:

I love your writing style. I enjoyed reading about your vacation and am glad you have returned to the blog after a much needed break.

15. LB says:

2 hours later is me pee’in’ it out worth $1,999.99 too?

(“vandervecken” spoke Truth. Robb Report)

16. Sadiqua says:

I kinda agree about the Dereon dollars, cause clearly thats the same logo! From what I can tell from the website, it’s going to make me white and improve my credit score. Oh, and help me appreciate classics, like Mozart and sh*t.

17. I remember a Jay-Z interview where he said he once drank a $20,000 bottle of wine. I was like 0_________________O

• Nonya says:

Well, he couldn’t sniff it, could he? So he did the most he could: drink & piss it out in a 20k circle.

18. Chandan says:

My life belongs to one & only LOUIS XIII. This is my dream.

19. Cognac J says:

Cognac is an exclusive product and especially this one is a product of very very old eaux de vies which means Remy Martin has maybe only a few barrels of cognac which are in this Cognac. Therefore it’s just expensive.
    Especially the chinese and russian market go sky rocking at the moment about these kind of expensive products.

20. David says:

They do that ( Sell it for “a ton” of dollars )because rich people have the need for ish that us “little people” couldn’t afford, reasonably. So they can remind them selves that they’re better than the rest of the normal world. Only way I’m trying that, is if you do share, I don’t care if I hit the lottery, 2 stacks for a fifth of booze…. GTFOOH. Cognac taste like ass anyway.

21. Alichia says:

It has to do with how it’s made and that it had aged over 100 years. I use to work as a cocktail server in a place that sold this and the price for a shot was $125. I had asked my boss if it was really worth it (since I would never have the money to even try it.) He laughed and said very much so. One night as we were about to close I was in the kitchen and he walks back and hands me a shot of this saying a customer bought it for him but wanted me to have the chance to try it. And let me tell you if I had the money I would always have this in my home. It tasted better then anything I have EVER had in my life!

22. GMoney says:

I like to drink hennesy xo, its $200 a bottle here on the east coast and its the shizzz. But i was in miami at a club in the vip room last year and there was armed security around this one table, i asked the waitress what was going on, she told me they had a bottle of Henry IV dudognon heritage congac, so i google it……$2 million….. the empty bottle costs over $50k……..um……anyone know how much a shot costs??? Lol……btw i gotta check out that walgreens!!

23. Korey says:

I actually have one of these for sell 1,100 brand new. send me a message ‘[email protected]

• Ray Melucci says:

I’m interested in your Bottle for sale

• J Burton says:

I have a full bottle of Louis XIIII never been opened seal is intact with crystal stopper, box, and instruction book, would like to sell.

• Jeremiah Mathews says:

Is your bottle of Louis XIII still available? How much are you selling for?

• Richrd says:

I have a bottle of untouched Louis X111 I am willing to sell it for $1700. The bottle is the model before the most recent one. The box is larger than the old Louis 13. It is the model right before the new one with the partial see through display. I also have a bottle of Hennessy Richard for sale, the price Im asking for is $1900 for the Hennessy Richard. Please let me know if you are interested. Call me at 347 255 0590

• Veda says:

Have you sold it yet?

24. teddyb says:

Have u ever had cognac before and I don’t mean the cheap o ass from the bodega in the corner from mom n popps? Do you have any idea what the cost to make is, to bring it to taste to keep the temp for a hundred years in a barrell at perfect temp and how many peeps does it take to look after it? Yeah u would pay $20 to listen to that piece of shit rap but if u multiply that by the yrs and care that peeps gave into it u will understand why…try alize instead, its the french gheto style for LOUIS de Troisiemme aka Louis XIIII

25. Lyman says:

I saw a bottle last night and was told if you brought the bottle back (to France) you could get a Free refill.

26. Vadim says:

Hi there I was looking to buy a bottle and from some reason found this site and your question I read a few answers but I don’t think anyone said if its worth it or not so… The answer is simple it is if your r into it ;) if you r not a cognac person don’t waste your money ;) for me personally its worth every penny but i drink cognac on regular basis and if not this then any cognac xo ( Hennessy , Remy Martin ) if you want to try a good cognac start with chiper stuff and see if you like it or not.
    P.s sorry about spelling mistakes I’m Russian :) good luck.

27. Ernie Epp says:

Its actually worth $10,000 a bottle. Why does a wedding ring cost so much? Cause they want to that’s why silly. Incidentally, in Ontario its served in a beautiful lead crystal cut bottle carved in Italy, the bottle placed in a beautiful wooden box made in Hungary, on a lining of thick soft red velvet. The bottles have a resale value of $100. It tastes like apricot liqueur.

28. John king says:

I bought this drink in York 2013 in the living room
    It was the longest drink I ever had £125 a shot

29. t par says:

I had a shot of this in Hollywood (I didn’t buy it) not to long ago. I usually drink remi chilled or Hennessey on rocks. This was smooth and had deep flavor and not at all overwhelming or bitter. Awesome. 2000 dollars awesome, maybe not unless you need to impress and got the money to throw. But remi in general is good but get the better qualities. 30 bucks for the v and you can drink it straight chilled no problem… and try it on the rocks too. Makes a difference. But to answer the question, yes it is the right price but you can find it around 1200 to 1500 if you look hard. Your liver will thank you!

30. BA says:

A shot is very expensive, but once you taste you you DO understand why. I once shared a shot with 5 people and we had some left. You simply need it to touch your lips and you finally KNOW what liquor is! Yum, yum–then you fall down BROKE, Broke, broke but happy…

31. kit says:

The bottle is made out of real crystal( bottle is worth around 500 in itself) and the boose is anywhere from 75 to 150 years old. Thats why….

32. vinchieboy says:

its not the bottle it’s a cognac aged minimum of 60 years’that’s why it costs a lot. you’ll not even gonna fly after you drink that but the taste of that alcohol surely last on your mouth for 2 hours because of it’s age and you cannot blame the price because you’re not even alive when they’re making it hahahaha!

33. Brad says:

Nothing you drink is worth that much … that said, it is worth every penny. Louis is ‘with out a doubt’ the best experience your taste buds will ever encounter … it is worth ever penny, if you can afford it. It is to be savored, not drank, it is an experience in itself. Think about the absolute best sexual climax you have ever had, and the lingering feeling afterward, and possibly that is similar to the experience, after taking and hour or two to enjoy one snifters worth. I, as a bartender could never afford it but did sneak a taste after work one night … WOW.

34. Art says:

Since I don’t have the time to give you a very detailed answer, I will give you a more general answer, so you can have a basic understanding of why a bottle may cost that much! Below are the reasons:
    1: How rare is the cognac?
    2: How old is the cognac?
    3: What are the techniques of making that cognac?
    4: How fancy is the bottle itself.
    In the case of Louis XIII
    1: Louis XIII is one of the rarest cognacs
    2: The cognac is anywhere from 40-100 years old, depending on the bottle. The barrels that they age them, are anywhere from 80-120 years old themselves. So it takes over 100 years to make a bottle. Of course they are all produced in limited quantities, like the Louis XIII Black Pearl, 780 bottles only.
    3: The bottle itself is a work of art. They are melted crystal which is handcrafted by very talented artists.

These are just the main reasons why a bottle of Louis XIII can cost up to $35,000!
    Yes, that’s right $35,000!

• Rick Sanders says:

A friend of mine had a bottle of Black Pearl that was on display at his home. His wife’s assistant was drunk and opened it even after she was warned not to and drank a couple of ounces. What do you figure the devaluation was on this bottle now that it has been opened and two ounces drank?
      I know they are not impressed, but I wonder what the depreciation would be as a result. I told them to charge her with theft.
      Thoughts?

35. Gee says:

It is worth every cent.

36. Dion says:

I had a shot of this three years ago for my birthday. £40, and for a one off I’d say it was worth it. Strong, smooth, great taste with a hit of cherry. So good, and wait for it, this is strange, I didn’t immediately want another one! Even if I hadn’t known how expensive it was, I would have known it was special – took a lot of concentration!

37. James says:

I had that Louis XIII in a glass. At the time I had it it was only $100.00 per glass (15 years ago). Now I do not drink any longer and will not advocate drinking.

But this was and IS the best hard liquor in the world!! And I have had my share. Trust me, all the expensive hard liquors will never compare to this. It is the smoothest liquior coming down your throat you will ever drink. It will hit you and you will never see it coming.

38. Emenot says:

Calm down y’all IGNORANT small timers! The Remy Martin Louis XIII BLACK is at least US$55,OOO.OO and is sold out before it was released! LMFAO

39. Shea says:

The presentation of the shot is worth the $160.00. If you wanna impress EVERYONE in the entire restaurant, yes this ‘booze’ as some of you call it, needs to be experienced sitting down after a rare fillet mignon and butter basted lobster tail….it is an experience that every poor man on Gods earth needs to partake of. A friend and I started with the lower end of the cognac spectrum….. Through trial and error and after 4 or 5 (or 12) we began a relationship with Louis…… He is quite the gentleman…….and yes, he will kicketh thy ass! We liked him so much we bought an entire bottle the next week. Do yourself a favor…..try it!

40. Tammy says:

I was in Las Vegas last year sitting at the roulette table just watching and an older distinguished man came and sat beside me. He had put his glass down on the table and reached over to lay his chips on the board to play as he reached back he turned over a full glass of Louis Xiii on the table, the dealer rushed to get a towel to soak it up he said he was sorry and then lifted his hand to get his waitress to bring him another glass. I asked what it was he was drinking and when she brought him another glass he said taste it I did wow it was the smoothest drink I have ever had. He offered me a glass I declined but really should have taken him up on his offer it was wonderful!!

41. Jay says:

We sell Louis and it is worth every cent, not for the juice or for the bottle.
    Consider this, blended from cognacs some of which are 100 years old.
    That in itself is kinda cool until you realise what that means, some of the juice in that bottle is pre WWI, that juice has survived TWO German occupations of France, squirrelled away in hidden cellars.

42. Rich says:

I have a bottle for sale. CG 3062 serial number. Engraved on the bottom of the bottle and also on the crystal stopper.

I have had this bottle over 10 years – extra aging. Pics available.

[email protected] (Make subject line cognac – I get 350+ emails a day.)

A drop of this is like liquid velvet on your tongue.

43. A.Hobbs says:

It only cost as much as it doors because it’s been aging for 100 years. That’s a whole century in a bottle. The more work goes in the more expensive.

44. Suzy says:

When my brother was born in 1968, my Asian dad was so happy (first son in an Asian family & all), he went out and bought a case of these. At the time, they were about $60 a bottle. Now, 46 years later, we have 2 unopened bottles left. Each bottle is worth over $2,000 since they are each in the satin-lined case, unopened, etc. After dad died & we sold the house last year, my brother & I each took one bottle and will guard it for life… we don’t plan on ever opening it or selling it.. not even if we ever have to declare bankruptcy, haha! If I ever get married, it will def. be in my prenup, hahahaha!