RandomTravel

Spirit Airlines is the Four Loko of the Airline Industry

There have been few times when I fly and swear off an airline completely. One of those times is when I flew Spirit Airlines a couple of years ago. I don’t know how broke I was or if I was in dire straits, but the price of the ticket is what got me. I think I paid $145 for a round-trip ticket to Florida. I did all types of jigs because I couldn’t believe it! I thought it was too good to be true.

It was.

I got to the airport with carry-on luggage only and they tell me it’s $35 each way. Wait. Wayment. $35??? I told them the butler named Jeffrey that was clearly coming to take my bag and stow it at the top of my seat for me wasn’t necessary. I can carry my own bag. But nawl. They said no butler. It just costs $35. MUTHAFUNKAS FAH WUT? Ugh. I should have read the fine print. Or their website. I had never heard of such foolishness.

Then I was thirsty but was being cheap so I didn’t wanna buy the $3 bottle of water from one of those Hudson News stores. I figured I’d just wait to get on the flight and get something to drink from the air hostesses. I saddowned in the plane when it was time and started reading one of the magazines behind the seats. There’s a menu for regular stuff like soda and water. Oh. O__O

facepalm shame gif

WAIT A GAHTDAMB minute! I gotta pay to have my thirst quenched too??? NAWL, B. I gotta pay for a measly cup and swig of juice? What kind of life is this? Chile… but I paid it. I was left choiceless, lest I want to land and my throat is left feeling like sandpaper. The dry air of the plane plus my parched-ness woulda left me dehydrated dinnamug. I didn’t wanna live that life. And let’s not even talk about how the seats were so small they could only be comfortable to toddlers.

I was expecting them to walk over and tell me there’s a surcharge for seatbelts too. Clearly everything was à la carte. Had I flown with American Airlines, which is where I have frequent flier miles, I wouldn’t have to worry about none of this.

Spirit Airlines NAWL

That’s what I got for trying new things and being too cheap. Ol’ raggelly Spirit Airlines. Charging for everything. You’d think all those surcharges would make them great but nawl. They’re the Rush Card of airlines.

NOW, Spirit announced that starting in November, they’re gonna start charging $100 for carryon luggages that don’t fit under seats. So anyone who wants to travel with anything more than a baby’s backpack will basically be paying $100 MORE.

O__________________O

That’s just plain ol’ tomfoolery and haberdashery. Spirit Airlines is not e’em remotely about that life, and they clearly need to carry their cloud dereon duffles and go. Why are they still in business? Why are people indulging them in their subparity?

The folks who run that airline must not want nice things.

fail like this gif

No country for Spirit Airlines. Not e’em a municipal or county or zip code. They need to go. They’re janky and got the nerve to be adding super fees like that makes any sense. You end up buying a ticket for the low low of $120, and by the time all the fees are added AFTER you get to the airport, you’re paying $300. AND you don’t even get anything with that. That’s so foolish. I ain’t the one.

Never again. Spirit Airlines is the FUBU of aviation and I ain’t got the TAHM.

And if any of the folks I love want to fly it, I’d tell them “Don’t do it, Ms. Celie. It ain’t worf it!”

Have you ever flown Spirit? Did you kiss the ground when you landed? Do you wonder why they’re the Old Country Buffet of Aviation? Tell a G.

If you’ve flown Spirit and wanna warn people to avoid it like the plague, share this post with one click!

1. Elle
    May 29, 2012 at 7:38 am — Reply

Ha I had a friend who flew them religiously and really hyped everything about this airline, and I always thought, you might as well pay for a decent airline and get the same results if not better by the time you pay for the bag fees, food, and all that stuff, and I saw them talking about more fees.

• May 29, 2012 at 9:56 am — Reply

Does your friend know other airlines exist? He won’t rave about them if he did.

2. May 29, 2012 at 7:46 am — Reply

Ch…and here I was thinking that US Airways was bad…Spirit is heinous! -.-

• May 29, 2012 at 9:56 am — Reply

Spirit takes the FAIL cake.

3. Bethany
    May 29, 2012 at 8:30 am — Reply

If at all possible I will only fly Southwest. And if not then I’m usually stuck w/USAir and their old planes.

• May 29, 2012 at 9:56 am — Reply

I think I’ma start flying Southwest myself.

4. dee
    May 29, 2012 at 9:00 am — Reply

If it was a weekend trip, you’d be better off buying clothes at your destination and throwing them away when you leave.

Where were you flying from?

• May 29, 2012 at 9:55 am — Reply

I was flying from Chicago. And yeah they don’t make you wanna pack even your toothbrush. Charging for everything.

5. Sticky-n-Sweet
    May 29, 2012 at 9:03 am — Reply

Spirit Airlines is beyond terrible! I flew with them once, and only once. Plus they don’t go anywhere!

• May 29, 2012 at 9:54 am — Reply

Girl Spirit got limited reach. They are pitiful.

6. Neysa
    May 29, 2012 at 9:04 am — Reply

This sounds almost exactly like Allegiant Airlines. They offer bargain fares to places, but then they charge for everything under the sun. It’s ridiculous!

• May 29, 2012 at 9:54 am — Reply

Allegiant? I’ve never heard of them. They must be terrible too.

• Jen
      May 30, 2012 at 10:55 pm — Reply

Allegiant flys out of the piddly ass regional airport in my area and the ONLY days they fly are Mondays and Fridays. So you either have to plan on spending a week or a long weekend.

7. victoria
    May 29, 2012 at 9:39 am — Reply

I flew spirit one time and I had to take a Tylenol pm to make it through the flight. I was like did they go to the place where planes die to get there parts. It was so awful that I have been trying to block that experience from my memory.

• May 29, 2012 at 9:54 am — Reply

HA!!! It’s all rickety. They musta gotten their parts from the junk yard.

• GloBug
      May 29, 2012 at 10:34 am — Reply

Haw haw! “Place where planes die 2 get their parts.”
      Yes ma’am, its ALL about “refurbished” products in 2012, and that includes aircrafts. They got that idea from Sprint.

8. Brooklyn
    May 29, 2012 at 9:50 am — Reply

Awww I wish someone would have told me. I just flew with them and was hit with the same surcharges. The website was confusing for the bags so I ended up buying a carry-on instead of a checked bag…well to make the change over the phone (I called within minutes after doing it) it was $16. Ridiculous…then the seats on the plane don’t even recline, its a tight space. You have to pay to sit next to your friend. I will never fly Spirit again as long as I live. I’d rather walk.

• May 29, 2012 at 9:53 am — Reply

Girl… RIGHT! I hollered at “I’d rather walk” though. LOL it’s funny because it’s true. I’d rather take Greyhound ‘cross country than take Spirit again. No thank you.

• lea
        May 31, 2012 at 8:05 pm — Reply

OOOOH, that says ALOT!!! Greyhound cross country!!??? Greyhound is the Spirit of the roads. I REALLY rather walk than take Greyhound. And being from NY, I’d prolly make it cross country in about 2 days. LOL

9. dee
    May 29, 2012 at 10:12 am — Reply

On the other hand, you should have known better–these cheap airlines usually have something in their name that should clue you in. Remember Value Jet?

“Spirit” Air–they can’t afford the whole body, just the ghost.

• Khadijah
      February 27, 2013 at 8:06 pm — Reply

howling at “they can’t afford the whole body just the ghost” LMAO!

• Renee
      April 23, 2014 at 9:19 am — Reply

Say the Ghost!!! I died just nah!

10. Kate
    May 29, 2012 at 10:16 am — Reply

I’ve never flown them but they make Southwest seem like First Class. Wow, I guess their business model is “We want to go bankrupt by 2013″…janky.

11. GloBug
    May 29, 2012 at 10:21 am — Reply

Maaannn…I’d hate 2 hear how much it costs 2 use their oxygen masks and seat cushions as flotation devices should that raggedy shit crash…

Put yours on, then assist the child?? “Naw lil Tink Tink, we gon hafta share 2day…can’t afford for both of us 2 breathe.”

12. May 29, 2012 at 10:49 am — Reply

This is the same airline that refused to refund the ticket of a dying veteran with cancer. The CEO went on record saying the guy should have bought insurance, customer complaints are irrelevant, and has successfully cultivated a corporate culture of IDGAF.

• LOLA~SKYY
      April 23, 2014 at 5:29 am — Reply

He said WHAT now?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! Bwoyyy looka here…there is a special place in hell for the CEO of that sewer of the airline industry. SMDH

13. May 29, 2012 at 11:44 am — Reply

Wayment. These ninjas don’t have overhead bins for carry-ons?? What’s with all these errant charges, tho!!

14. colah
    May 29, 2012 at 12:00 pm — Reply

Spirit is the Pop Copy of airlines. They don’t give a damb…unless they charge you for it!

15. JD
    May 29, 2012 at 2:02 pm — Reply

Folks always complain about Spirit Airlines but they are always booked ($9 fares are always compelling) should take a look at RyanAir.

This is the outfit who has floated plans for a standing room only flights, charging for restroom access, no overhead bins, you taking your checked luggage to the planes.

If you thought Spirit was bad, you don’t remember ProAir, this was a airline that had a plane repossessed on the tarmac.

Delta has always taken care of me when I travel.

• TeeNikki
      June 8, 2012 at 10:26 pm — Reply

No. The repo man did NOT pull up on the tarmac. I refuse to believe it, because I just ate and laughing that hard would cause me to have prollums.

• February 28, 2013 at 12:03 am — Reply

Wait?!? Repo’d on the tarmac? Hahahaha *inhales* hahahaha

16. May 29, 2012 at 3:02 pm — Reply

I flew Spirit once and that was two times too many! Worst experience ever. I was irate at all the fees I had to pay and this was before they really got buck wild and started tacking all kinds of nonsense fees on to the tickets. How they are allowed to exist with their “eff you, fly me” ways is beyond me.

But, yeah, I’m all about that Southwest life. How can you live in Chicago and not fly Southwest? Girl, that’s all I fly when I can and although you may pay a little more, they are upfront with their prices and you can’t beat the two free pieces of luggage.

17. May 29, 2012 at 3:24 pm — Reply

Spirit Airlines is for husbands with two families and clothing on each end.

• Dee
      May 29, 2012 at 4:32 pm — Reply

*crying* real tears…..

• Marsha S. Haneiph
      May 29, 2012 at 7:36 pm — Reply

*dead*

• Dinasty
      May 30, 2012 at 6:34 pm — Reply

And there it is. That explains so much.

Spirit Airlines: Helping Niggas Cheat.

• Shevonne
        February 27, 2013 at 8:37 pm — Reply

ROFLLLL!!!!

18. TC
    May 29, 2012 at 3:53 pm — Reply

I was fooled by a friend who hyped up Spirit as the greatest gift to aviation so I subscribed to the $9 fare club. I aint never gotten a $9 flight. Ever. I get so mad everytime I fly and they charge me for my bags and have you sitting there parched. And dont waste your time buying the food. It is just straight nasty. They started out charging $19 a bag. When they reached $35 for carry-on I had to say cut the crap. Its NOT worth it at all. They are raggedy as hell. My butt will ne’er grace the seat of a Spirit airline ever again!

19. JL
    May 29, 2012 at 7:38 pm — Reply

Ha, I flew American Airlines from Portland OR to Dallas Tx, then on to ORlando. They charged me $25 for checking a bag (bs) and then they gave me one can of pop for each leg of the trip. Never offered anything else and only came by twice. Once to give me the can and once to take it away. No chips, peanuts zip nada nothing. Glad I had a fruit bar in my bag. Now you want good service fly Alaska Airlines or Southwest only way to go anymore. They rest I would almost rather walk!

20. Marsha S. Haneiph
    May 29, 2012 at 7:42 pm — Reply

It is beyond ridiculous that any airline charges us for carry-on luggage. They already pack us in there like sardines. I’m petite and opt for aisle seats because I don’t like giving a stranger lap dances just to go use the loo…or getting them.

21. May 30, 2012 at 9:46 pm — Reply

I would rather catch the Spirit than fly U.S. Airways, EVERRRRRRRRRRRRR! Motherphakkkin bastards!

22. May 30, 2012 at 10:00 pm — Reply

Usually I’m in agreement with you but, unfortunately not this time. See, you’re not the target for Spirit. They are catering to a market of people who want to do a quick flight, no major baggage and are not interested in the frills. Get in, get flown and go home. To the person who just needs to fly somewhere with a big handbag for a couple days, it’s perfect.

And from a marketing perspective, them charging you exorbitantly for extras is just saying ‘this is not a service we want to offer’. If they start including it, everyone will do it and that will bring prices up. Hence no $120 round trip tix.

Hope this helps your view on things.

23. May 31, 2012 at 12:39 am — Reply

Northwest isn’t bad, but they’re based in Minneapolis. If you pass Minneapolis, you MUST go through Minneapolis, like my parents did when they flew from Memphis to Dallas. Yes, there was a 1000 mile side trip.

24. May 31, 2012 at 2:02 am — Reply

I flew Spirit many moons ago and loved it. Actually turned my mom on to them as well and she loved them as well. This was before all these fees you’re talking about, and haven’t flown them in ages so I’ll definitely keep that in mind in the future.

25. Janaye
    June 1, 2012 at 1:52 pm — Reply

I’ve flown Spirit ONCE and I never will again! It was a free flight, but the struggle cost so much more! I wanted to get off the plane mid-air when I spotted Ramen Noodles on the menu as an in-flight snack. And they had the #AURDACITY to charge like $3 knowing they’re $.38 in the store.

26. femmfatale8
    June 9, 2012 at 12:47 pm — Reply

Ryan Air (overseas) is the absolute worst. They have ads on the overhead bins and the stewardesses have raffles and try to push products during the flight.

27. EBell
    February 16, 2013 at 8:03 pm — Reply

You just narrated my complete experience with Spirit Airlines. Never again!

28. Tina O.
    February 27, 2013 at 8:33 pm — Reply

MAAAAAAAAA’AM!!!! That Spirit Airlines life is not for ANYONE!!! I flew them once and swore NEVER again!!! Not in this life. I shall happily purchase a wetsuit & swim to Puerto Rico if I cannot afford the flight (or stay home o_O), but Spirit Airlines is not EVER an option.

29. February 28, 2013 at 2:18 am — Reply

HOOONNNNEEEY… I know I’m super late but them bastids pissed me ALL DEE WAY off! Got to the check-in counter and the heffa tole me I had to PAY $5 for the BOARDING PASS! I mean, is that NOT the same as the TICKET I bought!? What the world!? Then my dumb oss joined their “$9 club” and ain’t seen NAN $9 fare but spent $59 to join! REALLY!? FA REAL!? They burnt me. You hit the nail on the head. Not neva no mo!

30. February 28, 2013 at 7:26 am — Reply

Spirit Airlines is the Bates Motel of airlines. Never again.

31. […] WANTS TO FLY WITH YALL NOW?!? This is the type of stuff I’d expect from jankass Spirit Airlines (aka the Greyhound of Aviation), not Malaysia Air! What type of confidence are we supposed to have when we travel? I’m […]

32. Natasha
    March 24, 2014 at 10:14 pm — Reply

I flew Spirit Air as my first experience on a plane ever! Worst thing to do. I live in the Bahamas and wanted to go to Florida for some shopping. The experience onboard was horrible. Crammed and I felt like it was about to rip apart. Thank God my fiance was there with me or I’d have had a bigger panic attack. I was suckered in by the price and found out later that there were surcharges- you had better believe that was the last time I flew with them.
    To make matters worse their Customer Service Agents (CSA) were horrible. Here I am lost as shit in Florida- make it to the airport with time to spear and the idiot says he can’t let me on. Something about rules etcetera after I stood on their line for 30 minutes. Lets just say my fiance turned into a real Caribbean guy and cussed the hell out of the CSA. A good portion of my shopping money went to them and their fees. Never ever ever again will we fly Spirit. Ain’t worth it!

33. Carrot
    March 24, 2014 at 10:18 pm — Reply

I flew Spirit from D.C. to San Francisco and the flight had to touch down for gas. I guess they were trying to fly across country on a quarter-tank of gas. I was waiting for the pilot to come out and ask everybody to chip in $5 so he could fill the tank.

34. Timika
    March 24, 2014 at 10:23 pm — Reply

Spirit Airlines is the devil. My 10 year old couldn’t even fit in the seat. How about the fee for checked bags was $50 each way? On my way home a elderly lady tried to put her seat back. I lost all my cool. Then she hit me with the No Habla ingles. Well guess what I can tell you to raise that seat in Spanish. Spirit Airlines makes my ratchet show. Never again.

35. Freshie85
    March 24, 2014 at 11:37 pm — Reply

Oh Luvvie! I could just hug you right now cuz I fee your pain. Let me tell you that Spirit airlines will never get my money again. Hell not even their spirit can get it! They are like the goddamn mad dog 2020 of airlines. I flew this airline a few years ago & they charge for EVERYTHING, I thought they were gonna charge me just to pee. The seats were uncomfortable, I have long legs so my struggle was real. Yeah that was the one and only time I flew with them.

36. vanessa197676
    March 25, 2014 at 12:13 am — Reply

Nope, living in Chicago, I’m a United girl through and through. I reached silver status and have the United Explorer Card, so free checked bags (which you get with both). I get free Economy Plus seating, and all of my flights (so far) have been smooth sailing. We’re talking about 20+ flights in the past year.

Now, RyanAir ain’t shyt. I almost got in an argument with the gate crew, trying to tell me I needed to check my small bag. I made it fit in that little display, and they still wanted me to check it. My voice got loud and my brother thought we were going to get in trouble. They let me get on the plane though, without having to check my bag, and it fit just fine overhead.

37. March 25, 2014 at 9:18 am — Reply

I have nightmares. As in still recovering even 5 years later. THEY SUCK!!!!!!

38. March 25, 2014 at 10:55 am — Reply

I usually fly United and sometimes I mess with Southwest. Southwest is “the hood” of the airline industry. They got discounted flights, free bags, & jokes. I was impressed but wary because this is the same airline where the roof tore off mid flight some years ago. (Bruthas always got some drama with the roof, either it’s on fire, or we raising it, or it just ears off completely.) Virgin is also really good but pricey which makes United my first choice unless I’m on company dime.

39. Mimi in DC
    March 25, 2014 at 10:57 am — Reply

Spirit AKA da debils airline destroyed my HARD SHELL luggage and offered me a damn $100 credit to fly with them again. Erm hell naw

40. Tracey
    March 25, 2014 at 11:00 am — Reply

They just talked about Shyster Air on CBS Sunday Morning last Sunday. I knew their CEO was all about the shakedown when he sat there proclaiming that he’d never charge for use of the restroom, grinning like he’d just cured cancer. He had that same grin when he was challenged about how the seats on his planes are basically the size of a Tic-Tac and how he didn’t consider his nickel and diming his customers “fees.”

41. Barbara
    March 25, 2014 at 11:50 am — Reply

I flew Spirit a little more than a month ago. It was the last time that I will fly with them. Did not know they only allow 40lbs vice 50lbs for luggage. Did know they charged for carry on. Did not know they charged for water. Did not know how unconcerned they would be when your flight is 4 hrs late and they act tlike it is the norm.

42. Barbara
    March 25, 2014 at 12:00 pm — Reply

Also when I reached my destination at 1 am and waited more than an hour for my luggage and because of day light savings time it is actually 2 am and you say sorry for the inconvenience, as i am leaving the airport after 3 am and everything is suppose to be okay. No, that means to me that you are sorry (not in a good way) and I won’t be flying you again. Because you have got my money and me having a horrible experience does not matter to you.

43. April
    March 25, 2014 at 12:37 pm — Reply

I knew Spirit was trash when the person who checked me in at the counter was the same person taking drink orders on the flight. Heck I think they may have even been flying the plane, too. Spirit Airlines is the real life embodiment of Soul Plane without Kevin Hart and Snoop

44. Drea823
    April 23, 2014 at 7:18 am — Reply

I’ve never flown Spirit but these stories have helped in making sure that I don’t. I love to travel but I’m scared to death of flying (if that makes sense). I’m not about that “flying on a wing and a prayer” life. When I do fly, it’s usually with United.

45. Monica
    July 14, 2014 at 6:40 pm — Reply

So you’re mad because you didn’t read before you booked the flight? LOL but it’s somehow the fault of the airline? I was fine with Spirit. I got a flight to Miami that was 150 that would have usually cost me 400$.. if you pay to precheck your bag online they give you a discount. I’m just mad because now I don’t live anywhere they fly out of. :/

46. Day
    August 13, 2014 at 3:49 pm — Reply

I wish to GAWD I saw this before I flew Spirit airlines last week. After all the fees I might as well have flown a good airline. Smoke was coming from every part of the plane when we walked on and everyone was going on about their business like they didn’t see it. Maybe I was crazy. I got a crick in my neck trying to sleep because you’re sitting straight back and it was the bumpiest ride. I’m getting mad all over again. NEVER AGAIN isweatergawd

47. August 13, 2014 at 4:05 pm — Reply

Remind me not to sit next to Monica. I bet she steals the armrest.

48. Margaret
    August 13, 2014 at 4:19 pm — Reply

Spirit Airlines is that cousin that no one wants around because he breaks your toys, eats up all the food and pees in the bed when he spends the night.

49. Joie
    August 13, 2014 at 4:46 pm — Reply

In the airline industry they are lovingly referred to as “Skeered-uh-it Dare” . Be afraid. Be very afraid. Besides, I would never waste my money on an airline that runs disgusting sexist ads. Remember these? http://www.cbsnews.com/news/spirit-airlines-sophomoric-ads-show-the-irrelevance-of-branding-for-discount-sellers/