Fashion

Adidas is Tryna Shackle Our Feet. NAWL.

I came across these gym shoes (as we like to say in Chicago) or sneakers, as the rest of y’all call ‘em.

Shackled Adidas

The name of these shoes is actually the Jeremy Scott x adidas Roundhouse Mid “Handcuffs.”

*blinks slowly* These shoes really got some plastic shackles. FAH WHY??? What is the point? Why would I wanna rock some high tops with cuffs on them? I WON’T!

I know innovation is important and Adidas is tryna push the envelope but if they’ont tell Jeremy Scott to get in the garbage, I will. Harriet Tubman didn’t wade in the water so Juneteenth could exist for Adidas to make these sneakers. Sojourner ain’t speak her truth for this. Frederick ain’t part his ‘fro JUST RIGHT for these shoes to be so oppressive. NO MA’AMS! I AM FREE NOW! I’M IS FREE NAH, I SAY!

I don’t need no house arrest shoes! This is prison reminiscent, and I have never been and God willing, I won’t ever have to go, e’em just to visit someone wayward. HEAR MY CRY, LAWD.

Either way, do not want.

And I bet people are gonna go out and buy these thinking they’re fresh. But they could be dope if they didn’t have the yellow shackles. Are those removable? I hope so.

And these cost $350. THREE HUNNID FITTY DOLLAHS. For SHACKLE SHOES. iRebuke the thought.

Whatcha’ll think? Would you buy these for the sneakerhead in your life? And for the sneakerheads, are you gon add this to your collection?

Update: June 18, 2012

CNN confirmed HERE.

LOOK AT GAWD!

This is Post 667

Sending Love to My Oldest Reader: Mother Doretha

1. June 13, 2012 at 11:24 pm — Reply

Maybe these are freak ‘um shoes for chicks who don’t wear stilettos. Maybe Teyana Taylor is going to to be in the BET version of “50 Shades of Gray.”

*submits wack-azz script to Zane and becomes a millionaire* What?

2. June 13, 2012 at 11:31 pm — Reply

Those….put me in a dark place.

3. sasha
    June 13, 2012 at 11:42 pm — Reply

This just solidifies my claim that Jeremy Scott is from another planet. Usually his designs make me giggle but these nawl. I can’t get with that.

• June 19, 2012 at 9:04 am — Reply

yall so dumb if you look up my monster a monster with shackles comes up and jeremy said he was copying off the monster for his design no one is tryin to put any of yall dumb butts in slavery yall need to get yall research correct before u say sumthin

4. June 14, 2012 at 12:27 am — Reply

Minus the shackles, with a price drop of $280 at the very least and yes I’d buy them. Since neither of those stipulations are likely then those sneakers will never make it into my collection short of a five-finger discount. *shrugs*

5. Marsha S. Haneiph
    June 14, 2012 at 1:10 am — Reply

That is the dumbest thing I have ever seen. That shoe should fail miserably.

6. Akua
    June 14, 2012 at 7:13 am — Reply

No, just all the way no. And for $350?! GTFOHWTBS!! Anyone who buys these shoes should be written a sternly worded letter and have a shopping privileges revoked.

7. June 14, 2012 at 8:55 am — Reply

Please give Jeremy Scott the business on Twitter for putting his name on this mess https://twitter.com/#!/ITSJEREMYSCOTT

8. June 14, 2012 at 9:45 am — Reply

I’m all for different, but um not feeling the shackles on this shoe… I’ll pass.

Mandi

9. Burtrenif Price Morgan
    June 14, 2012 at 9:55 am — Reply

The devil is a liar.This is just a form of deception.Take this crap off the market.

10. June 14, 2012 at 1:39 pm — Reply

Get the shackles off my feet so I can dance, I just wanna praise Him, whooo I just wanna praise Him!!

*throws those thangs off feet and gits down to Mary Mary*

• June 18, 2012 at 5:05 am — Reply

WHY did that song play in my head right before I saw your comment?! LOL!

11. […] Adidas is Tryna Shackle Our Feet. NAWL. (awesomelyluvvie.com) Share this:TwitterFacebookStumbleUponDiggEmailLinkedInTumblrPinterestLike this:LikeBe the first to like this. Tagged: Dear White People, diverse images, film, fundraising, Microphone, Slaugtherhouse Posted in: Film, Push and Kick, Television ← Comedian Jovan Bibbs is Going From Ashy to Classy Pt. I Be the first to start a conversation […]

12. Sha Sha
    June 15, 2012 at 8:30 pm — Reply

They just so wrong on so many levels…*heavy sigh*, and some fool is gonna buy them too. SMDH!

13. MimiLuvs
    June 15, 2012 at 11:06 pm — Reply

I’s trul-lay hate cha right-tah now, Luvvie! And why I’m speaking like a slave? I think it’s the pic of the sneakers. They are some dreadful looking sneakers. I know a Brooklynite hipster is going to rock them and “naively” point them out when he is engaged in a conversation with a black person.

14. June 16, 2012 at 2:22 pm — Reply

Insulting, offensive and ridiculous. Of course the horrible irony in all of this is that some non-critical thinking mug will steal a pair and go to jail for it.

Love the site, Ms. Luvvie, and have turned several people onto it (I hope) since I found it a few months ago. Keep on doing what you do, lady. Oh, and I’m a Chicagoan born and bred and call them sneakers, too. While you ruminate on that one, I’m going to go have a drink of pop.

Later,
    Lisa

15. June 16, 2012 at 2:27 pm — Reply

I’m soooo sorry about all the comments from me, Ms. Luvvie, but I kept getting a message that the comment wasn’t long enough!

16. Art
    June 16, 2012 at 11:50 pm — Reply

I think jeremy scott was trying to portray a sneakerheads obsession to shoes by giving you the ability to cuff yourself to your kicks. They look removable and they are also for men.

17. June 17, 2012 at 9:07 pm — Reply

For every person who gripes about this shoe, there will be a greater number of those who want it. We can’t win.

18. Roger MacDonald-Evoy
    June 18, 2012 at 2:32 pm — Reply

Lt Col Roger MacDonald-Evoy (ret)

• xadidas4lifex
      June 18, 2012 at 6:30 pm — Reply

WHY DOES IT ALWAYS GO TO RACE!? the whole point is “they are so fly you wont let them escape your feet.”

If your worried about race, worry about kats killin each other over Jordans. Or how every black comedian has to dress up as a girl to blow up. and how tyler perry exploited his community to become a billionaire.

These shoes are very different but in no way are they offensive. If you look at everything as an attempt to be racist, you will find racism in everything.

• June 19, 2012 at 11:42 am — Reply

I LIKE THOSE SHOES WITH SHACKLES

19. Roger MacDonald-Evoy
    June 18, 2012 at 2:34 pm — Reply

These are offensive in a number of ways. Why is it goos to promote being in shackles in any way be it prison, jail or slavery. This is just stupid even if it is seen as gangster it pushes something wrong. I’ve seen people in shackles and it is never fun to see. Please do not let these shoes go on the market, they are wrong.
    Lt Col Roger MacDonald-Evoy (ret)

20. xadidas4lifex
    June 18, 2012 at 6:34 pm — Reply

he even has stated that this was his inspiration for those shoes.

is there an issue with it?
    is that toy racist!?

21. zeph
    June 18, 2012 at 6:39 pm — Reply

they are actually some dope shoes….we black people think every little thing is racist…….i know that we still have some racistism in the world coming from white people, but some of it is from us over thinking everything……….come on now its just a shoe…adidas were not thinking ”oh, hey lets make a shoe that piss blacks off”…no they just thought it was stylish…..ughh

• xadidas4lifex
      June 18, 2012 at 6:48 pm — Reply

thank you. lol

i mean you dont see me getting pissed cause white people exploited my culture’s food to profit off of taco bell lol
      or you dont see me hating spainards for raping my ancestors and taking over the land that we were originally on and forcing religion and language upon us lol. i am mexican if yall didnt understand.

sometimes you have to let ish go, cause if you go looking for trouble you will find trouble.

22. Tana
    June 18, 2012 at 7:56 pm — Reply

Hell Yea!!! Them are awesome!!

23. […] Adidas is Tryna Shackle Our Feet. NAWL. (awesomelyluvvie.com) […]

24. June 19, 2012 at 10:08 pm — Reply

Surfboarders leash their boards to their ankles so they don’t lose ‘em in the surf.

25. TR
    June 22, 2012 at 1:02 am — Reply

“Harriet Tubman didn’t wade in the water so Juneteenth could exist for Adidas to make these sneakers. Sojourner ain’t speak her truth for this. Frederick ain’t part his ‘fro JUST RIGHT for these shoes to be so oppressive. NO MA’AMS! I AM FREE NOW! I’M IS FREE NAH, I SAY!”

Hi-larious! I LOL’d…pretty hard…when I read that.

Anyway, it’s funny that Ms. chaundra would call those in opposition “dumb” when not one punctuation mark or capitalized letter was used in her entire statement. Even “y’all” was lacking the apostrophe. Interesting. I wonder how much she knows about African history before slavery. *ponders*

No, of course not everything is done with a racial slant, however, we live in the great U.S. of A, where Black people make up a great portion of the prison industrial system, and are usually first in line to spend their already limited disposable income on some sneakers, rather than investing in building their wealth. It’s just incredibly ironic, if not naive on the part of Adidas (who has a huge African American market – you know, the ones most likely to be incarcerated in their lifetime)that they would allow something like this to pass through, and not make some kind of correlation between this sneaker design and those facts. I’m sure they considered what it would look like for Black people (or any people) to wear this in large groups. They will look absolutely uneducated to their history AND the current state of socioeconomic status of these customers in this country.

In case you don’t know, there’s actual class warfare going on, if we suspend race for a moment. These sneakers symbolize the slavery to consumerism that keeps people broke, in debt, and chasing after superficial things.

If we didn’t have a slew of ignorant niggers, yeah, I said it, running around with more love for some sneakers and other status symbols than they do about their education or self-worth, then I wouldn’t object to the release to and promotion by the Black community. If we were an economically stable across the board, if we didn’t have the current issues that we have, and if people were more educated on where they’ve been, where they are, and where they’re going, then no, I wouldn’t consider this another bad hit.

26. Deepwater
    June 22, 2012 at 12:22 pm — Reply

Adidas has canceled this shoe effective Monday, 6/18/12 due to the millions of complaints comparing this shoe to prison shackles as well as slave shackles. Thank goodness.

27. jmec59
    August 3, 2012 at 12:48 pm — Reply

I don’t see any problem with those shoes.

Why Adidas has created them ? Because they thought enough people would buy and love to wear them. And if some people want to wear those shoes, why should “good thinking people” from associations and co should forbid them to do so ?

So many young people are interested in some games we could call sensual, exciting, etc. I mean bondage games. without knowing how to deal with that. Nobody to talk with, no way to feel good in society with those thoughts in mind. So many suffer from that. Adidas was offering them a funny way to come out with no huge consequences. And YOU, good thinking people from nowhere, feel right to prevent that ?

Maybe you, people with best thoughts, also think a girl should never wear jean’s, and people cannot have sex before they get married.

Live with your time !

Sorry for bad english ;-)

jmec59

28. November 9, 2012 at 6:45 am — Reply

[…] […]

29. Derek
    May 5, 2013 at 12:58 am — Reply

im a black man and i think everyone who says these are racist is either an ignorant dumbass or just plain old uneducated. id wear the hell out of those shoes, the design is so fresh and unique its just amazing.