Famous folksLetterMusic

Dear Erykah Badu, That Video? Please Go Have a Window Seat

Erykah Badu has done a duet with the group Flaming Lips, using Roberta Flack’s “First Time Ever I Saw Your Face.” And the video came out this week, and it is a total clusterf*ck. I watched all 5 minutes of it and frowned through the entire thing because it involved a naked Erykah Badu (and her sis Nayrok as body double) in a tub, covered in glitter, then blood, then some milky substance I can only assume is love juice.

So yes, she’s earned this week’s sternly-worded letter.

If you wanna view the NSFW video, the only copy I see online still (because they seem to have pulled it) is on PerezHilton.com.

Dear Erykah Badu,

Girl I want to come to your house and walk on your freshly-manicured grass in football cleats and then ring your door bell multiple times for no reason just to annoy you like your new video annoyed me. And then I’d put my finger one inch from your ear and go “I’m not touching you.”

But really. That video. WHAT IN THE WORLD WAS THAT, ERYKAH??? What. WAS. THAT??? You’re in a tub rubbing glitter on yourself and then the glitter becomes blood, and you’re rubbing it all on your face and body. Then the blood becomes some stringy milky substance, which we all assume is love juice, and you take that and drop it all in your mouth. While some random white man is rolling sheets all around him. All while you’re whining the words “First time, ever I saw your face.” GIRL WHAT???

Donna Face3 gif

First of all, the classic song by legendary Roberta Flack needs not be associated with your experiments with art and randomness, ma’am. The fact that I might hear the original and start thinking of you being butt nekkid in a tub of random liquids is really making me wanna fight the air.  Methinks Roberta should come to your house and have a long talk with you about pissing on her song’s legacy like this.

Then, the writhing around in the tub and all’at. My peoples on Twitter are saying it’s supposed to represent childbirth, which maybe it does. Maybe the glitter then blood then milk love juice is like reverse conception, childbirth and joy? I don’t gahtdamb know but what I do know is that you’re doing the absolute most.

I get it. You’re mother everything and hippie chic and granola love and vegan vajayjay and president of the “I’m so different” club. You’re so deep that the lost city of Atlantis is sitting on your house. Erykah, WE GET IT. You’re weird and proud of it. But sometimes, even you gotta look at some of your antics and say “I really tried it this time.” I’m sure this video is supposed to be art but all I see is some crude craptaculousity. I am of the thought process that some art can be foolish and self-important and this video is that. Also, I don’t think every random thing thrown together should be called “art” but that’s for another day.

You’re clearly testing your boundaries, and ready to proclaim everyone who doesn’t “get it” as shallow. However, this video does nothing but shock and whatever message you’re trying to send across got lost somewhere between the super close shot of the ass filled with glitter and the full frontal of your sister’s Love Pocket dripping blood. BTW, I know your sister was your body double but I wonder how she got all that glitter out her orifices. That doesn’t seem fun. Did you pay her enough for that? I see you didn’t want that to be your yansh full of tiny gold specks. Well played, Erykah.

I’m also curious as to why you didn’t use your own body. Maybe it’s cuz the rest of us can’t be exposed to your own magic Love Pocket, which seems to have turned many a man out. Remember how you had Common rocking crocheted pants and talmbout lights. And Andre 3000 was rocking FUBU before he met you. Maybe it woulda been too much for everyone to handle. Anywho, you and your sister frolicking in that tub made my soul side-eye you…

One of my girls put it perfectly when she said:

“How are you gonna take those elements – nudity, bodily fluids, beautiful black women, a roberta flack classic about adoration and love – and manage to create something both disturbing AND boring, exploitative and oddly UNsexy? Not only how, but why!? Mind-boggling.”

Glory. SAY ALL OF THAT.

I’m still trying to uncringe my face from the look I had while watching that video, which just made me wanna cuss. Aijuswanacuss. Doing the doggone most and no one knows the reason.

I think you need to go have a window seat on this one. \__ Just sat down somewhere.  You and your creative juices need to go simmer somewhere. Ain’t nobody here for that. And if they are, they’re kidding themselves if they think this video is some type of genius.

Bye, girl.

Did you watch the video? What did you think? Is Erykah just so beyond her time or does she just need to stop doing too much?

1. Lalarochelle
    June 5, 2012 at 4:34 pm — Reply

Glitter+blood+”glue”+tub+water+twirly man with tin foil streamer=art project gone way wrong.

• Jabbarr
      June 5, 2012 at 5:15 pm — Reply

It hold deeper symbolism. The Black womaman’s sexual body is gold to Caucasians and worshiped. However, when they get it, they exploit it and do sadistic stuff (the blood)to Black women and sexually exploit our young sisters making them swallow and drench in their sperm (white milky stuff). The gown is her clothing he showing off

• June 5, 2012 at 5:15 pm — Reply

Oh.

• June 5, 2012 at 9:35 pm — Reply

Sounds like a thesis, not a video to be shown in the same location as the latest Katy Perry monstrosity.

• June 5, 2012 at 5:16 pm — Reply

Pretty much. She shoulda kept that.

2. June 5, 2012 at 4:37 pm — Reply

Sigh.

That is all.

3. vanitaapplebum
    June 5, 2012 at 4:46 pm — Reply

I am still at “experiments in art and randomness”!!!

Hilarious!

• June 5, 2012 at 5:16 pm — Reply

I’m just saying…

• June 6, 2012 at 11:50 pm — Reply

*clears throat* I am soooooooo off topic…but Luvvie, I’m a longtime fan of your brilliance so I wanted to put you on to Les Twins, if you have not seen these dudes, PLEASE youtube them and check them out…would love to see you rock an article on them one day. Keep doing what you do, you have an absolute fan in me. On Topic, I’mmma fight Erykah for this and I will backhand her once just for you, trust. iCant

4. mochazina
    June 5, 2012 at 5:02 pm — Reply

am i to be concerned that (after reading the lyrics) the video almost made a lil small piece of sense to me?

• June 5, 2012 at 5:15 pm — Reply

LOL. Maybe. Explain please?

• mochazina
        June 5, 2012 at 8:27 pm — Reply

1st verse: saw your face, sun rose, glitter. makes sense.
        2nd verse: kissed your mouth, felt heart beat, blood. mmmmkay…
        3rd verse: lay with you, white stuff. le sigh.

does it help my case to state that i’ve found i have an actual talent for deciphering crazy?

5. Kirby
    June 5, 2012 at 5:05 pm — Reply

I almost threw up

6. June 5, 2012 at 5:22 pm — Reply

she is in an Olympic race with herself to outdo weirdness.

7. June 5, 2012 at 5:40 pm — Reply

I still have a pain in the middle of my chest from trying to figure out what I just watched. I am all for creative expression and going against the machine, but sometimes…sometimes…sometimes too much is too much. When the most daring among us still doesn’t get it, the entire message gets lost. That video made me feel lost. @thesilenti

8. Toyin
    June 5, 2012 at 5:47 pm — Reply

Luvvie, you have just given me the stuff nightmares are made of!I wish to God I had not clicked that link. I need a mind cleanse and renewal. Lawd, what was she thinking?

• bird
      June 6, 2012 at 9:10 am — Reply

this. I need to scrape my minds eye memory and retinas so i can pretend i didn’t click that link. Now i understand “wanna fight the air” because i just threw two left jabs and a right cross at the sky.

• yadi
        June 6, 2012 at 2:32 pm — Reply

*HOWL

9. Marsha S. Haneiph
    June 5, 2012 at 6:03 pm — Reply

Girl, I’m not watching that video. No way, sah!

10. sunnahsis
    June 5, 2012 at 6:46 pm — Reply

While watching the video the entire time I felt the urge to hock a loogy. Kept scratching my thoak you know that annoying sound your least favorite ainny makes which makes you hate her more. Yeah it did all of that. I will be glad when we get to a point where art isn’t synonymous with being deep or art. Ain’t nothing deep about it!!!! Thats the case we all are deep every time we shower.

11. June 5, 2012 at 7:01 pm — Reply

I kinda liked it. *shrugs*

12. jnoww
    June 5, 2012 at 7:25 pm — Reply

It’s never a good time to see Erykah’s Kibbles and Bits covered in sweet and sour sauce.

13. Amy
    June 5, 2012 at 7:30 pm — Reply

That did not make me happy inside.

14. Dr. Kiti
    June 5, 2012 at 8:00 pm — Reply

No! Just…no. I’m not the deepest most conscious earth child but I can recognize bullshit when I see it. I ain’t EVEN trying to interpret that video…there is no interpretation. Lord, I hope this doesn’t inspire other folks to bathe in glitter…

• Soulstice
      June 6, 2012 at 11:28 pm — Reply

The deepest conscious earth child would pass no judgment at all.

15. June 5, 2012 at 8:06 pm — Reply

First, why were they beating a furry paw?

Second, why is Erykah’s sister making her booty clap and showing her full frontal cooter to everybody? Even though I read your post, I still was so NOT ready to see such random phuckery.

Third, am I the only one who thinks this is the last thing you hear/see after you have smoked/ingested too much bath salts and went off on a random person-chewing spree?

Fourth, why did Erykah’s sister slam glitter into her crotch? That is not sanitary…

And fif…I was eating my first home-made peach cobbler (I made it) and I now have acid reflux. Coincidence? I think not. I blame you, Luvvie for taking my innocence away…*mascara-running wall slide cry*

• June 5, 2012 at 9:37 pm — Reply

Hilarity. Total hilarity.

• Bpurpleb001
      June 6, 2012 at 10:26 am — Reply

LMBO again and again!

16. June 5, 2012 at 8:29 pm — Reply

Im just stuck on

What da hayle was that?!?!?!? *blink*

17. Dinasty
    June 5, 2012 at 8:37 pm — Reply

Deep. Ass. Sigh.

I stan for Erykah. And when I say I stan, I mean I. STAN. I ridiculous things and have ridiculous moments when I hear her music. I will embarrass any and everybody around me at a concert, should I ever have the chance to go. I will probably cry. Thug cry, #doe.

But I am not one of those delusional ass stans who thinks their fave can do no wrong. There have been a couple moments where I wasn’t afraid to say “I didn’t get it, and maybe it ain’t meant for me to get.” This was one of those times.

The song is now stuck in my head though. Thanks, E.

SN: I still shake my head at my man Common wearing plaid pants, tight shirts, and beanies. Like…what typea…?

18. GaNeane
    June 5, 2012 at 8:53 pm — Reply

Lovie. I hate you. that is all.

YOU SLAY ME!!!!

19. June 5, 2012 at 10:08 pm — Reply

Erykah Badu is absolutely disgusting. And so is her crazy sister. She stepped way over the line with this one. That video made me want to throw the hell up. She nasty.

This is so typical of artist who are no longer relevant. They do stupid crap that has nothing to do with true music/artistry just to get people talking about them again. Her stupidity has overshadowed her talent.

20. missy
    June 5, 2012 at 10:12 pm — Reply

Erykha…you got some splaining to do…or better yet…sat yo ace down somewhere girl…that is the stupidest that’s right I said stupidest shit I ever seen thus far…just when I thought I’ve seen it all…pow right in the kisser!!!!

21. kishan
    June 5, 2012 at 10:14 pm — Reply

Actually I got it the first time I watched it.. Erykah also works as a midwife in Dallas, so that symbolism of childbirth was plain to me.
    At the same time though, I felt like there was also another underlining representation of the first time you have sex.. That’s when you take the three scenes (glitters, blood, semen) in the sequential order.
    I thought the meaning behind this video was easier to get than the ‘Window Seat’ video… because with that one, I really didn’t get the connection between the song and the video.

22. Sherleejo
    June 5, 2012 at 11:23 pm — Reply

Love you Luvvie…but the artist in me has to be on Erykah’s side this time. Don’t hit me! (Winces one eye in fear). I’m a weird black girl and I like it when other black girls can be themselves…even if nobody else gets it. I guess I’ll be over here having a seat by the window with Ms Badazz Badu. Womp, womp.

• June 6, 2012 at 11:27 am — Reply

*takes a seat next to you*

• AT
        June 6, 2012 at 2:49 pm — Reply

Yeah, I’m taking the window seat on this one too. Yeah the winded down everything was hella trippy, I found the use of black female body as the centerpiece of the imagery suspect at first and I really did not need to see someone lapping up some stringy white symbolic cum. BUT it was a well-made and creative piece that makes you think. Not just pointlessly edgy and provocative. One person on PerezHilton commented that to them the lyrics & imagery made them think of sex for the first time…”the ecstasy (glitter), the pain (the blood) and the final outcome (the semen)”. Makes sense to me! And hell, it’s open to interpretation.

23. June 5, 2012 at 11:34 pm — Reply

Look, given that baby daddy number 3 is out doing h0-sh*t in London, Errrkah is letting it be known that she (and her nekkid sis) is single and ready for baby daddy #4. That’s what I took from it. #kanyeshrug

• vanitaapplebum
      June 6, 2012 at 9:04 am — Reply

ROTF screaming!!!! You aint have to go there. LOL!!!

Okay, maybe you did. LOL!!

• vanitaapplebum
      June 6, 2012 at 9:06 am — Reply

Luvvie while you giving Erykah a sternly worded letter, I think you should give Jay Electr-hoe-nica one too. Outchea breaking up royal families and stuff.

24. lexibeast
    June 6, 2012 at 5:16 am — Reply

I guess I will be grabbing a window seat too, bc I both enjoyed and the understood the video.

25. Lovely
    June 6, 2012 at 5:50 am — Reply

that was nasty. and I cut for me some badu, but that was wrong. No shade to the straight girls ( I got ten nieces and nephews because of my wonderful hetero sisters) but this video made me happy I am a lesbian. what the hell was all that white stuff and who is gonna clean it up. I hope its not that messy for yall for real. YUCK!!!

26. Jen
    June 6, 2012 at 9:17 am — Reply

So a friend of mine sent me this and I almost upchucked my meat lover’s pizza (which really pissed me off, how you gon make me waste good pizza). We came to the conclusion that her title for the song was suppose to explain it…..The name of the video is “Western Esotericism” which by definition means only a small group understand this sh*t. Well that’s the definition of esoteric. Western esotericism include stuff like astrology and ritual magic and crap like that. So we came to the conclusion that if you don’t get the video (and we definitely don’t) then it wasn’t meant for you to get. Which is kinda genius…….make up sh*t that doesn’t make any sense then tell the viewer through the title that they weren’t supposed to get it lol. But yea, she needs to have a seat and stop trying so damn hard.

27. June 6, 2012 at 10:11 am — Reply

Flabbergasted! I. Am. Disturbed. I tried watching this video while I was sober, tipsy and high and I was still perturbed. I don’t mind seeing some boob tips and jelly shake every now and then… but not to a Roberta Flack classic. That just unsettled my soul and loins. I understand what Jabbarr is saying but the message and the song itself does not match. She should’ve kept this oil & vineger theory in her appletree.

28. June 6, 2012 at 10:31 am — Reply

Nevertheless, Erykah has released an official statement via her Facebook page:

OFFICIAL STATEMENT FROM – WAYNE COYNE / FLAMING LIPS
    “The video link that was erroneously posted on Pitchfork by the Flaming Lips of the Music Video ‘The First Time I Ever Saw Your Face’, which features Erykah Badu, is unedited and unapproved.. Sorry!! We, the Flaming Lips, accept full responsibility for prematurely having Pitchfork post it. It has outraged and upset a segment of fans and we apologize if we offended any viewers!!! This is a Flaming Lips video which features Erykah Badu and her sister Nayrok and is not meant to be considered an Erykah Badu or Nayrok statement, creation, or approved version.” Posted by http://www.baduworld.com

• K
      June 6, 2012 at 12:02 pm — Reply

I sure hope so cause that video was a gotdamnmess! wth? I have no appetite now! :(

29. Kayla
    June 6, 2012 at 12:11 pm — Reply

When trying to be “deep” goes wrong!

30. Shay Baby
    June 6, 2012 at 3:14 pm — Reply

No worst than what Lady Gaga and Katy Perry and ‘nem do everyday yet no one complains. Erykah tries to be “different” but in all actuality she’s just like the rest of ‘em. That is all.

31. Miss K
    June 6, 2012 at 4:59 pm — Reply

According to EB this was NOT *her* artistic vision…

Just thought you might like to know.

32. Sandi
    June 6, 2012 at 11:45 pm — Reply

Just bought a ticket for my window seat. I support being fearless, especially when it comes to things that are highly subjective, like art. How people react to it says more about them than it says about you.

33. Nigerian Movies
    June 7, 2012 at 3:20 am — Reply

No way, this is not the time to watch this video.

34. June 7, 2012 at 6:24 am — Reply

looks like miss erykah herself was
    none too pleased with the video either:

35. CafeGirlsPress
    June 7, 2012 at 10:33 am — Reply

I’ma hafto invoke the book of Leviticus and just say, “Thou shalt not…”

36. Imperfection
    June 8, 2012 at 8:23 pm — Reply

But Ms. Luvvie, did you read her side of this mess? She explained how she thought the whole thing was tasteless and that she originally didn’t want to do this, but she respected the guy that shot it. Now they fell out over the video, and she had it removed.

37. Deepwater
    June 15, 2012 at 7:31 pm — Reply

Love my my view from window seat….I get it (messed up, humph?) Bwwwwwaaaaahhhhaaaa!!!!!

38. Ifgodwz1ovus
    July 4, 2012 at 5:30 pm — Reply

Hi all!! Just happened upon this blog last week!! Awesome!!! Just very well put together, great articles, hilarious commentaries….so i say “hello” to all.