What is the Dancery that Mary J. Blige Was Talmbout?

[ 25 ] October 22, 2012 |

You know Mary J. Blige’s hit song “Family Affair” and I bet you’ve jammed to it many a times at parties or in your house. I’ve definitely hit my Mary bop on countless occasions because that song goes so hard in the paint.

But I’ve always wondered things about the song. The lyrics pique my interest and my eyebrows go up all chola-like. ^__^

Sister Mary No Clarence Blige said “Don’t need no hateration, holleration in this dancery.” So I’m always thinking what is a dancery? I have my theories. Let me share them with you.

I really think dancery is a bakery, but instead of cupcakes, dance moves are made. Especially those that require nothing more than a two-step. At danceries, they’ll teach you the exact formula of the “Mary Bop.”

And there’ll be a sign that says “Do not Haterate” in every room. There’ll also be a “Holleration not allowed” sign when you walk into the dancery. So folks know the rules straight out. I’m not quite sure what a holleration is but I’m sure there’ll be customer service reps there to clarify.

This is what I imagine the sign will look like:

Dancery chart

But don’t get it twisted. Instructors at the dancery will be letting folks know that perculating is encouraged. And perculate they will.

I won’t lie, though. I’d love to visit a dancery. I imagine it to have dancers in aprons, doing pliés and coming up with new moves. Plus, there is no drama in the dancery. Only joy. And tutus. And onesies. And people who are passionate about spreading the message and the jig of the Mary bop. It seems like such a positive place to go. Mary J Blige is a visionary.

I’ma write a book called “So I visited a dancery…” It’ll be drawn Dr. Seuss style and It’ll be awesome. Don’t steal my idea. I got friends in law school. (-__-)

Yes. I’d really like to visit a dancery. They prolly got good snacks and endless rice.

So whatchu think a dancery is?

And let me leave you with this gif of emoting Mary.

Mary J blige gif

Tags: , , , ,

Category: Music

1. Sticky-n-Sweet says:

Can we talk about that “Yonkers shake” she did at the end of that video, though? Or the zebra bi-level weave? So many gems in that video…

2. doneinthedark says:

I’ve always imagined it was spelled “dancerie” and that everything was all brightly colored and that fried fish was in abundance.

3. Karima says:

Oh, Luvvie–how I *do* love you for this! I’ve been perplexed and flummoxed by these particular lyrics for years now. Just what *is* a dancery? Is it like a hatchery? A cannery? Even an infirmary??? Now, at least you’ve ventured a guess, a theory that I can ponder. Thank you, ma’amselle. Thank you!

4. Lis says:

I have been asking what the HECK a dancery is since that song came out and no one could explain! I’m SO glad you cleared this up Ms. Luvvie! LOL

5. Shikki says:

I have always wondered what that was.I figured I was singing the wrong lyrics.

6. Natasha says:

Luvvie…I got nothing. All of y’all go satcho asses down in the VIPery!

7. Manda says:

Dancery = dance soiree in tweet speak or just plain mispronounced.. That was always my theory..

8. Brenda says:

Omigosh!!! My friends told me that I was “overthinking” it when I asked some of these very same questions! Thanks for clearing that ish up. Lol!!!!!

9. KayMac says:

I understand the “dancery” and the “hateration” part but I reeeeeally need to know what holleration is…is that where no one can try to holler, bcuz we’re all just here to do the Harlem and/or Yonkers Shake?? #QuestionsThatNeedAnswers

10. MimiLuvs says:

I had totally forgotten that Mary had sung the word “dancer”.
    As you can see, Mary J. Blige had graduated from the “Sean “Diddy” Combs Institute of Making up Words Just So The Words Can Rhyme University”.
    Sean Combs is guilty of giving words the DJ Screw treatment.

11. I think a “dancery”…is like..not quite an upscale club…but not quite the rachet hood spot w/ that one door in…one door out..like it might have USED To be a strip club….Fat Mike Mike..on the door..w/ a gratuitous “pat down” by Big Pat the butch doorwoman. Perhaps it is a skating rink that turns into the club afterwards…and there is an abundance of like…chicken wings and Malt Liquor and the “fancy” drink is some Hypnotiq or Nuvo…and folks sweat their perms and quick weaves out real hard…..and you smoke weed on the floor…

• KayMac says:

I imagine, in this dancery, females take their shoes off when their feet start hurting bcuz of the shoes they got from Rainbow…(O___O) lol…so lots of females dancing w/o any shoes…

12. larenee10 says:

I haven’t even read the poll yet, and I already decided that the dancery is where Wyclef was going when he oiled up 1/2 of his body and hopped on that bike.

Therefore, I ain’t going.

Whew….now, I shall read the post. :-)

13. Usually In Poor Taste says:

Dancery
    /dān-sir-ee/

noun
    An establishment flushed with libations and jovial music yet devoid of holleration and hateration.

Before any of you google that, I totally made it up!

14. Well, if you can’t graduate from high school in Yonkers, you just gotta work with the words you invent #intelligents

15. legitimate_soul says:

“Endless rice” did it for me. I’m going!…because I think it is a place where dance can be done and enjoyed by all.

16. LB says:

It’s what happens before the “nursery”. An’ I don’t mean the plant type.

17. Miss Jay says:

Good Ole’ Urban Dictionary helped me out with some of the words in the song:

Hateration – The act or process of hating on someone/something.

Holleration – An excessive amount of yelling or loud-talking, which is usually the result of (or resulting in) a fight, stabbing, killing, or some other physical altercation.

And last, but not least:

Dancery – A ludicous word that Mary J. Blige invented to poorly fit the rhyme-scheme of a mediocre song. Means: dance club, night club, or ghetto bar.

I think perculating means the same thing as brewing, but I could be wrong, tho. With Ms. Blige, words could mean anything (-_-).