There’s Voodoo at Target Stores to Make You Spend All Your Money

[ 123 ] October 10, 2012 |

Seriously. There has GOT to be some sort of voodoo at Target. That is the only explanation for how that place traps the most innocent people into these marathon shopping excursions that result in overdrawn bank accounts and hurting feet.

First of all, going to Target on a Sunday is the worst. You get there and every single space in the mega parking lot is full. ARE PEOPLE CLUBBING IN THERE??? Is there a drink special??? Will people be in freakum dresses? Am I underdressed in these Uggs and sweatpants? Do I need a neon green wristband to get in? Why is it so full at 11am on the Lord’s day??? Club Tarjay be POPPING!

Then you play “scope that spot” and find one (after losing 3 to people who can turn sharply faster) and you end up at the farthest end of the lot. You walk the three blocks to the door, dipping and dodging cars that are coming both ways to play the same game you just finished, and finally enter Target.

Target takes all your money

Found this in Pinterest. Super accurate.

What greets you is chaos. It’s a shopping amusement park. And if you weren’t high on whatever oxygen they must pump through the vents to keep you on a high, you’d turn right around. But you don’t. We don’t. We never do. They must pump the same air they pump into casinos in Target. I just KNOWED they do. We go right in, jolly as hell, because Target got that voodoo.

You walk into Target with your shopping list ready. You’ve written down 10 things you need. YOU ONLY need 10 things, you’ll pick them up and you’ll leave. That’s the plan. But it fails. EVERY SINGLE TIME.

You go into Target sometimes just because you need some glue and you walk out with a new cabinet, a dorm refrigerator and 4 new lamps. But you forgot the glue and you have no explanation for it.

You GOTTA pay your bills before going to Target. Otherwise you gon be homeless with a nice body pillow and 3-tier clear cart. It is NOT a game!

I once went to target for a travel size toothpaste. I came out with hair oil, shoes, fruit roll-ups, tape. And forgot the toothpaste, of course. I got home like “CRAP! Now I don’t have toothpaste for my trip!” I had to buy toothpaste when I got to the airport. BUT I HAD TAPE, DOE! O_O Who cares if you got yuck mouth the next day when you got brand new hair oil? WOMP.

But you haven’t seen temptation until you’ve gone to a Super Target. YOU try not to spend at least $200 under that pressure of a Target that is LAIDT like the bricks of the pyramids. Them Targets be TWO floors. You walk in, breathe in deeply and whisper “I’m home.” You get a cart and start dicing between the aisles like the pro you are.

When you’re done with floor 1, you gleefully place your cart on those cart escalators and clap your hands like a drunk seal because it amuses you so. And then you proceed to do damage on floor 2. Four hours later, you walk out with a bank account that’s $500 poorer and tons of time that you can’t account for in your day. And you get home to find that you just bought a new computer chair, 15 2-pocket folders, a wrench, several picture frames and a bucket hat. Then you facepalm and tell yourself this will never happen again. And you go back the next Sunday for a repeat and cry on your couch again about how you’re a failure.

This is me every time I walk into Target:

Lord Is Testing Me gif

It’s just such an experience that we seem to enjoy failing our budgets for. One day I went into Target rocking a red shirt and tan pants. Someone asked if I could help them pull something from a shelf. And I did. I even told them what aisle to go for the next thing they needed. Listen, when in Rome… be helpful. Or something like that. O_O

And since Target has restaurants in it, when you get hungry you ain’t gotta leave. I LOVE getting a personal pizza from the pizza hut there. I sit down, reload and get to shopping again. This is how one trip becomes a full day event. I walk in at noon and walk out at 6pm wondering what I did with my life.

TARGET GOT VOODOO, Y’ALL! That red sign with a bulls-eye is a conspiracy to hypnotize us and make us do things like spend all our money and time. You can’t tell me otherwise. (-__-)

Its True Though gif

Ugh. I love that store and I can’t help myself.

So family. Tell me I’m not the only one. Do you fall for the Target okey doke often?

Tags: , ,

Category: My Life

1. Curvy Jones says:

They don’t call it the Hundred Dollar Store for nothin’.

• Luvvie says:

LMAO at Hundred Dollar store! True life!

• Curvy Jones says:

Also? CVS/Walgreens is the $50 store. I can stop for a prescription and leave with $42 worth of CRAP I did not intend to buy.

• LiteBriteBella says:

Walgreens is the entire devil. I went in the other day to exchange a blush. JUST EXCHANGE THE COLOR. I came out with contact solution, toothpaste, a new toothbrush, 3 Maybelline eye tattoo shadows, nail polish, mascara, a half-empty Coke (I got thirsty in the middle of my excursion) and damn near forgot about the blush until I was at the register in the make-up section and thought to do a last minute glance.

• Denise says:

Walgreens is def the devil or at least his first cousin. I tell you, me and my daughter go in for like some hair oil…how come the hair oil gotta cost me $35 or more??? They got some hellified marketing skills that they are not sharing and dammit I want IN!!!

• LMAO! The ENTIRE devil though?

• Luvvie says:

That’s true. Walgreens is lowkey the same way. I go in for some juice and come out with packaged edamame like O________O

• C says:

When we had Snowmageddon in DC I went to CVS and spent $100 on nothing smh

2. Layla says:

I used to work at Target, and lemme tell you even the employees are not immune. People would get off work, go home and change, and then come right back to do their shopping, with or without the (admittedly pathetic) employee discount. It’s gotta be something in the air.

• Luvvie says:

Gahtdamb! Y’all prolly got paid in Target merchandise. Getcho paycheck and see it’s $1.43 because you don spent it right in there.

• Humanista says:

Listen. When I worked at Target, I shopped on breaks. I mentally created shopping lists as I was working the aisles, ESPECIALLY if I was working in the clothes or home goods. Smh.

3. Tesha says:

I work there and that voodoo gets us too. I worked two jobs when I started (during the holidays) I used to ask them to just put my paycheck on a gift card cause I knew all I would do was give it right back to Target. Pitiful!! I know

4. JD says:

I too, am guilty of everything you’ve just described. How did I go to Target only to buy tissue and paper towels to end up purchasing: 2 ottomans, new sheets, a duvet cover, pillows and some new towels? To only go back for more the next weekend to exchange the towels. But ha! Target had me in their clutches as soon as I breezed thu those automatic doors! Because as soon as I walked in, I felt a need for some new lamp shades, curtains, cups, and a griddle. I have joined a support group for people like us. So far, it isn’t working very well. Signed-TargetsGotMe (lol)

5. Bri says:

Chile, I went to Target last week for some work clothes and left with 5 super soakers…shameful

6. msz says:

I had to leave tar-jay alone! They messed up and gave me a credit card…..shoooo!!! It was over after that. I had to push back from the table. I’m full! I can’t with them anymore. I just can’t!

7. Tasha says:

I end up way way way way in the back of Target where they have the wall full of discounted items. I’m not talking about the $1 stuff that’s right in front but way in the back where they have detergent, fabric softener, bins and all the stuff you need but don’t need at the moment. You end up there and then have to walk past the grocer section of the store to get to checkout.

THE PICTURES OF THE FOOD STAND OUT LIKE GOLD ON A DIRTY PLATTER.

Why wouldn’t I buy cookies and oranges? So bright and vibrant and in my face as I walk down the isle.

I have a dog. Boots & Barkley have me cashing out.

Last but not least, because I shop at Target so much, I once bought 5 items and walked away with EIGHT coupons. The machine spit out EIGHT coupons. That’s like finding a big ass diamond from coal. I feel your pain. I do.

• Luvvie says:

EIGHT COUPONS??? Tell me your secrets! Teach me your ways!

• kia says:

i’m getting stonger in target. i have private Target Anonymous while reviewing receipts after a trips there. i go back in that clearance section .. target doesn’t fool anyone! all those red labels … NOW $2.59 REG PRICE $2.99 That’s not real clearance Tarjay!!!

8. Omolara says:

I don’t think I;ve ever been to a Target and NOT walked out with anything – Target stays having my pockets on E..and I’m a clearance shopper. I know what days to go to get certain things you want on clearance and I’m hip the 8/4 rule.

And it doesn’t help that every Target that I frequent has a Starbucks. Passion Iced Tea Lemonade is liquid crack.

The struggle is TOO real.

• Luvvie says:

I’ma need you not to know their schedule. You prolly got Google Calendar alerts. LOL

• kristyn says:

passion tea lemonade (sweetened please) is my LIFE!!
      i once walked into my local tar-zhay — that’s how we got it here in my little suburban town — and walked out empty-handed. i think i must have had malaria because for real i will go in there KNOWING i don’t have any room in my budget for nonsense, and walk out with $100 worth of miss jessie’s curl cream. what is wrong with that place?

9. Michele Sometimes says:

Oh the escalator for the carts is amazing. I too clap like a seal. sometimes I don’t even have to go upstairs. Engineering magic!

10. RB says:

See lI went 2 days ago for one thing…didnt get a cart or basket cause I told myself I didn’t need one. Ended up with my hands full 45 mins later. SMH

• Curvy Jones says:

“Yeah, Im gonna get a basket, cause I’m not buying a bunch of stuff. Just this thing here. And….. oooh nail polish. Hmmm 2 for $10! I think I’ll get some shea butter. Do I have toothpaste? Well, it’s not like I won’t use it. Oh look, John Grisham has a new book out. These cd’s are only $9? I want a Snickers bar. Lemme get some kettle corn and a new movie and something to drink. And some socks. Oh, I like this cut of underwear. This basket is heavy, lemme get a cart.”

• Luvvie says:

LMAOOOOOOO!!! This is so doggone accurate! You know ALL our lives!

• Bukky says:

I will purposefully not even pick up a basket, I’m only there for one thing right? Naw, they get me every time, with their basket oasis in random places just when you need one, cause I’ll have 50 levem things in my hand.

I went in for one toy for my nephew’s birthday. Walked out with lotion, windshield washer fluid, a necklace, milk, vanilla extract and snacks. I was so ashamed. And my Super Target has the full on grocery store in it, I’m liable to spend 3 hours in it and have noooo idea where the hell the time went!

I’ve must’ve never been to Target on a Sunday because I went this past Sunday and said out loud where the hell all these folks come from? But once it was Packers game time, it was a ghost town.

• DOminique says:

Oh the BEST/WORST Sunday to go is Super Bowl Sunday. I went in there for some ziploc bags. It was so empty in there. Nothing but me and 4 other customers. LISTEN! I was walking zig zag through all the aisles. I felt like I was in the meadow in the Sound of Music! It was amazing! I spent $72 but it was amazing! *sighs*

• Sparkle says:

Ma’am, I need you to stop stalking me while I shop!!! Lol

• Mel_H says:

Nail on head, honey…. Nail. On. The. Head.

• Luvvie says:

See? All you do is end up walking through the store continually picking up stuff you drop. That no cart thing DOES NOT work.

11. Aramide says:

The Target struggle is R-E-A-L. I be runnin’ up in there free as a damn bird like I ain’t got no sense. Like, all I need is Clorox wipes, paper towels and mouthwash. Next thing I know I’m in the home department reconsidering everything I’ve got in my apartment and deciding right then and there I need to completely redecorate and I must buy the display ottoman I’m now perched on! I just….

• Luvvie says:

HAAA! Not the display ottoman. And the bad part bout ottomans is you can put stuff INSIDE it. So it ends up encouraging your shopaholism. It’s just all a mess.

• SherleeJo says:

I’m eating a turkey burger AND fries while proping my legs up on my display ottoman. ALL from target. Even the damb ketchup. I’m losing at life.

12. Negretta Stone says:

I worked at Target for over a year. I won’t even act like 1/2 the money I earned didn’t go back into that store. And let’s not talk about how last August all the stores in the district threw everything on 70-80% off clearance. Yes I spent $300-400 in there that month….but I got 800-900 worth of stuff so…… (._. )

13. Jocy says:

I count it a success if I leave Target having spent less than $40. They even convinced me to get that Target debit card that helps me save 5%. I mean, the money is coming out of my bank account anyway. I should go ‘head and save that money! I have to make a Target run this weekend. I’m so scared.

14. Lalarochelle says:

The hair product isle gets me every time. I swear one time I spent 45 minutes looking at products. Tar-jay is the devil and that’s why the color is red.

I think I’ve only been successful once or twice going in there and coming out with only exactly what I needed and nothing else

• Luvvie says:

Every time I go to Target, I walk out w/ $50 worth of Shea Moisture stuff, as if I didn’t just buy another $60 worth the week before. Chile that hair aisle is not for the faint of heart.

15. Monica says:

when you go into Target (or even Wal-Mart) with the intent of buy only one thing, DO NOT get a CART…I repeat DO NOT get a cart! And don’t get one of those
    hand baskets either.

This has half-helped me avoid the 1 item magically turning into 20 items trick..try it..it reduces it to the 1 turning into 5 items trick…because that’s all I can hold in my hands…unless I go to the make-up aisle.

16. Dr. Kiti says:

Welp…my mother and I go every Sunday after church. Even if we don’t NEED anything we figure we’ll find something we need once we get there…and we always do. I get so mad that I wanna fight the air when I go during the week while I’m on the clock and can’t find anything I want/need. I just be determined to walk out with something. If I don’t I’m the one that failed somehow, not beloved Target.

17. HBSQ1 says:

Stands Up “Hi, I’m a Target Guest Fanatic” (Because we’re guest there, not just customers)

If you are a true Target Guest Fanatic and want to CRY at the site of SO many red bulls-eyes, visit the Target mecca in Minneapolis, Minnesota. Headquarters and ground zero for my addictions. Minneapolis has Tar-get and Prince….go there and PayAmish!

• Michele says:

You are bringing tears to my eyes. Tears of joy and tears of pain…that Target in Minneapolis AIN’T NO JOKE!!!! Can you explain to me why I felt the need to buy wine and martini glasses while on vacay?!?! We bought so many snacks we had to leave most of them behind…and how many sweaters does one need???

18. becks says:

Don’t even get me started when they drop the Designer capsule collections. I’ll just go in for some sugar & get sidetracked by Missoni on a budget. And now you’re going home with artisanal crackers & adorable box wine. Cuz clearly you went in for wine in-a-box.

• Laura says:

Oh man. I am mostly Target-immune (because I’m cheap and because we don’t have a Super Target here; that would be a whole other story). But I showed up 10 minutes before the store opened on Missoni launch day to nab one of the espresso sets–one of only two that were sent to my Target. That remains one of my great shopping triumphs!

Ran out of luck on Jason Wu for Target, though. Had to have an Internet friend send me a cat tote from Norman, OK.

19. Tracey says:

I used to work there and hated it. Swore I would never go back. 2 weeks later I was in there dropping $250 on some towels, a sippy cup (mind you I didn’t have not nan child), and a bedset that didn’t fit any bed in my house but was on sale and pretty. 8 years later, I still shop there weekly. My theory is that they pump crack through the vents.

• Tamika says:

Chile a sippy cup? And you didn’t have nary a child? LAWD, Tar-Jay got you wrap up, tied up, and tangled up… Just like me.
      I try the not getting a cart thing but I have four kids and we end up with all our arms full. Fail.

20. sher says:

I didn’t finish reading it yet, but I want to assure you that working at Target on a Sunday is about 3759276540864 times worse than shopping there on a Sunday is.

Do y’all really have to dump the few things you talked yourself out of buying into the display cribs!?

I get sucked in though. I go shopping without going home to change first. I put a jacket on ’cause y’all approach whether I’m wearing a name badge or not. Speaking of which, Idk why anyone would ever go to target in red and khaki.

21. sher says:

Y’all gotta go in there with only enough cash to buy what’s on your list. Unless you have a Red Card. If you have a Red Card, good luck to you.

22. Milaxx says:

You think Sunday is bad. try 10am on a weekday! Folks supposed to be at work and kids supposed to be in school, but target is packed like they giving away gov’ment cheese. I once went in to get cat food and pick up my prescription. I walked out with an outfit and a week’s worth of groceries.

23. Imperfect says:

Lol. This is hilarious! So true.
    I swear, I LIVE in Target. I pay rent too!
    Couple weeks ago, I went to get some toothpaste. Left with $80 in stuff that wasn’t toothpaste! Got home, took off my clothes, laid in my bed and realized I didn’t get the toothpaste. No worries though, I’ll be back tomorrow. Lol.
    I even tried trickin myself…I’m only gonna grab a basket. Halfway through the store, my basket is full, my arms are full. And people don’t leave empty carts at Target, so I had to mosey on to the front of the store to get one.
    …And I just got my Red Card! It’s all downhill from here

24. Brownbelle says:

My name is Brownbelle and I’m a Target addict. *hangs head in shame*

I’m in my last year of grad school and beginning the process of changing my wardrobe to 75% work appropriate clothes, 25% fun clothes (*wall slide* as I say goodbye to my sneakers). The mall is clearly out of my budget but I think hey, Target always has stuff on sale! But instead of the $15 top and $20 pants I intended to buy I always come out with $50-70 worth of extra random stuff. The worst part is it all gets used! And now they’ve got me hooked on their extra delicious Target brand Lemon Blueberry Crisp cereal that I can’t buy anywhere else, which guarantees I go there at least once a month. Lord, lead us not into temptation…!!!!!!

• Omolara says:

I LOVE that cereal!
      Jesus, don’t get me started on the fact they have my Smooth & Minties candies for $2 (I went to the Target up the street from my house four times in ONE day just for them.)

25. BE says:

This is why I no longer appreciate target gift cards. That $50 just cost me an additional $75. The lighting in there is so beautiful. Well lit aisles and ish. The carts are so easy to maneuver. You find yourself gliding and doing jete’s through the aisles. And then you get to the make up section and find ELF products on sale. I have 5 of the same gaddamn foundation brush. Sigh!

26. C says:

I AM CRYING!!! I went to Tarjay today for leave in conditioner… Came out with a scarf, some boots, Tide pods, and lotion lol

Thank gwad I got my leave in tho lol smdh

27. justlikehoney1 says:

I go faithfully every year on the day after Christmas. That’s how I stock up on their beautiful holiday decorations for at least half the cost.

28. I went into one of those new City Targets for gum. $83 later… *cries*

29. paintgurl40 says:

i live 2 blocks away from a target in my suburb and the employees know me. i’m going back on payday to get some slip covers and body pillows…y’all pray for me!!!

30. Bri says:

Yes….Tar-Jay will get you everytime, thought I could beat the trick by not grabbing a cart….yeah, no didn’t work

Another one is Walmart, I swear fo goodness everytime I go in there for one thing…let’s say a female item I walk out with graceries, jewelry boxes, dvds and a subway sandwich (cause mines has subway in it)…..yeah got to pay them bills first for sure!

31. Elle says:

LMAO! I don’t even have a target where I live (yet…they took out all the Zellers to build Targets) but I laughed so hard it hurt. Great post!

32. Bethany says:

I live w/in 20 minutes of 3 Targets – one down the street from my apt, one near the metro where I get on the shuttle for my job, and one near the metro on the way home. It is NOT pretty.

33. Robin J. says:

I just moved into my 1st house. I have made it my business to stay the hell away from Target for now (although I did go in there about 2 weeks ago to purchase a new shower curtain and hooks for my guest bathroom). I know that I am going to fall prey to it real soon. I need to take someone with me to keep me on task…..

Target is EVIL and must be stopped at all costs!!

34. Joana says:

Oh Pinterest, how you rob original artists of their credit!

The Target cartoon came from here:

35. Effie says:

Target is my Kryptonite!
    Luv girl you are so right, there is some straight JuJu in those aisles!

I started my own beauty business.. I no longer hunt for body scrub and come out with 5 work out dvds ( which I don’t watch)

36. Lacie says:

I thought I was the only person who felt this way about target!!!! I love that place. When I get bored, I go there just to look around and end up spending $100+!!!

• Lacie says:

Oh! And God forbid the ELF products on sale!!!! You would think I was on one of those shopping spree tv shows. I just take my entire arm and glide it and all the products across the display into my buggy. and yes, I’m from the south where its a buggy and not a cart! LOL

37. Christina says:

I have one word……CLEARANCE! I have a plan when I walk in that requires me to walk around the perimeter of the store where every endcap is….cuz the clearance stuff is there. I love clearance stuff at Target! I am already trying to decide what time I am going tomorrow because……..I didn’t go last weekend and I am going through withdrawal!!!!! And I have an excuse to go…..my daughter is coming home from college for fall break (she is a freshman) and I am pretty sure she didn’t leave a toothbrush at home (actually I haven’t checked but who cares)….so, I need to go get her one. So what if I come out of the store with a few (usually around 10) clearance items that were not on my list (or any list I have every compiled), as long as I have a purpose it is ok. Right?

• Alyssa says:

Yes!! It’s the damn clearance!! How can I NOT buy a $10 pair of gold glitter heels?? And $2 earrings?? And $5 DVDs?? They are practically begging me to buy something. If it’s THAT cheap, it must be a sign that I was supposed to buy it, right?? Right?? Sigh.

• Cheekie says:

Target’s clearance is the 2012 version of manna, I tell ya.

38. legitimate_soul says:

Dammit, if this ain’t the truth and I haven’t said this many times! Target is the Debil! Target be like “Run yo’ shyt!” I went to get 4 things and spent $150 dollars and forget one of the 4 things I came in there for! Targets in Cali got wine and beer. I’ll buy a bottle of wine to drank at the house after I finish my shopping there. Oh, and don’t hit the Target that has groceries because you talk yourself into doing your grocery shopping there and “saving time and doing it all in one place”. You came in there to get trash bags and toilet tissue and you over in the clothing section looking at “Honey Badger Don’t Care!!!” t-shirts. Mayne. I feel like Roberta Flack in the “Killing Me Softly Song”. Luvvie over here strumming my pain with her keyboard, LOL!

39. Max says:

Truth upon truth upon truth! The Target near me in Brooklyn has to be the worst one in the state but does it stop me from dropping over 150 bones every time? No not never. They just started carrying the refillible CO2 canisters from my SodaStream so I roll in last week to get my exchange canister and some moisturizer.

2.5 hrs & 100 bones later and I have no canister & no moisturizer. I do have a liter bottle of conditioner, shower curtains, cheese, tortillas, sheets & printer ink cartridges. And I got a Pumpkin Spice Latte from Starbucks.

Shameful.

40. VROSHELL says:

The fact that i read this just as i was about to go to target on my lunchbreak ….. stoped me dead in my tracks…THANKS!!!

41. Tashieka says:

i’m part of the problem why the parking lot is always full.
    i go on sundays and my store opens at 8am. i like to get there at 7:50 and go thru my coupons….Target is magical.

• Luvvie says:

SO IT’S YOU! You’re the parking space hoarder! But I can’t blame you doe. You gotta get there early for prime spot. You put in work so I can’t hate.

42. pamela says:

Target is high class rich folks drugs while Walmart is when you naked in the fetal position on meth, lol lol

Tar’jay just wraps it self around you like that fur on Rick Ross.

I always like it when they check out machine asks you do you want this on one card. They give you options to run up ALL YO CARDS!!

• Christina says:

OMG!!!! I forgot about that. How you gonna give me the option to spread my purchase out among cards. They really do have a plan.

• Luvvie says:

“Target is high class rich folks drugs while Walmart is when you naked in the fetal position on meth”

LMAOOOOOOOO!!! WalMart does make you feel dirty afterwards. But Target? It calls you the next day and says your eyes are pretty.

• Crim5onViolet says:

“It calls you the next day and says your eyes are pretty.”

Ma’am…

#iDied #BuryMeAG… in a fresh #alphet from Tar-zhay LOL!!!

43. I went to Target to pick up the SheaMoisture body products. Oh just 1 thing…………..bought the ENTIRE LINE OF PRODUCTS. That joint was damn near $500. I kid you NOT. I got smell good for the rest of the century. Not to mention..they got the nerve to have “real designers” up in that piece. Yeah I needed that Missoni neck warmer and them Cynthia ROwley pants. *sigh*

• Luvvie says:

I LOVE ME SOME SHEA MOISTURE!!! And yes, I also got their entire line. B/c Target got them in that bright display and they glow. That’s how they get us.

44. RP14_96 says:

This post gave me what I needed!!! I haven’t been to Target this month, and my wallet thanks me!! I can’t go in there for less than $75, and that is when I was going in for 1 thing and 1 thing only!!

I’m am always picking up a random shirt or dress from there…but the upside is whenever I wear these items, I ALWAYS get compliments!

45. Lea says:

Yea Target is my weakness..you can find me trolling through the clearance racks for the best bargains..I’ll even buy maternity clothes and I’m not pregnant..

46. Nadz says:

I must possess the tar-jay cure in my blood then, because I walk in and walk out with absolutely nothing but what I came to get. Black Friday I went for a camera and came out…with a camera. But DO NOT GET ME STARTED ON WALMART (my life’s weakness)!!!

47. theINTELLECT says:

Hi, my name is theINTELLECT and it has been 1 month and 5 days since I last went to Target. The cycle of financial abuse stops now.

48. CHAOTIC_ONE says:

omg yall aint isshhh i got a damn target list wrote out now and im scared as hell! Im thinking about sending my boyfriend in for the stuff while I wait in the car…but I think that devil bulls eye isnt the only thing they use to get u to shop like nobodys business. every target i ever been to has the same damn smell…mix of starbucks, fresh popped popcorn and pizza you cant think with those feel good aromas floating in the air….and the lighting is a beast in target i go and try something on alllllllllll of it makes me look like i can chill with A-list clebs smh sad i know….and I use to be a walmart addict but then they built the target less than 5 minutes from my house and its a super target and its been down hill from there. and you want to know something super crazy they have coupons they can send directly to your smart phone and you can also get a giftcard this way…they be up in there scanning your damn phone screens….target is taking over the world yall!

• CHAOTIC_ONE says:

i just looked down and realized im wearing target everything at work right now….i look fab yes but i know this has to stop…*rubs on soft sweater fabric* :)

49. No, this is when it’s sad. When we DRIVE BY ANT Target my three year old gets excited saying “Mommy! Let’s go to the circle dot store!!!” because he KNOWS the money jumps out my pockets and me/my mom/my mother in law/my sister/or even my husvand will buy him SOMETHING/ANYTHING!

50. kaykay37 says:

Went to Target to grab a few items. Messed around and took the kids. Have no idea what I spent $200 on. Then at checkout the cashier gives me a buy one drink get one drink free coupon from Starbucks. Hope those lattes will provide all the vitamins and minerals I need this week cuz I spent my damn lunch money for the week in that $200

51. Dyma says:

Pray for me when Target makes it’s arrival to Canada next year, lord knows Wal Mart has me doing the same thing x__x

52. CHAOTIC_ONE says:

Like a crazy person i went to target after reading this post and didnt send my babe in to get the stuff…. 134.54 cents and I cant pinpoint exactly what I bought all I know is I got sandwich meat and hair products :(

53. J.Y. Mills says:

I am SO glad I’m not the only one. LMAO!

54. Yes you are right. I always made a plan for shopping but not always my plan for shopping is fail because of so many reason.This thing can happen with all people not the only one.

55. Malange says:

AMEN to this whole post! Go in for 2 things.. come out with 20!

56. April says:

I feel like I’ve found my own little community reading these comments. You get me, lol

57. Margaret says:

Forget Disneyland … Target is the happiest place on earth. I’m addicted, they know it.

And then they opened one that’s walking distance from my house *faint*

58. Trina says:

When I was in high school and I first got my car I used to go to Target if I was bored. I’d be like “ill find something”. I’d come home with new stuff for the house. My mom would be like where did these lamp come from.

And the worse part is that the sales associates aren’t even trying to upsale you. All the damage you’ve done is your own fault.

59. KemaB says:

I’ve finally stopped lying to myself with lists/no carts or baskets I’m addicted and I will lose my shirt in that god forsaken haven of shopping delight. My husband said to me the other day we went in “if we are getting detergent why we walking down the clothes aisle” hashtag busted ~__~ I’m a sucker for the red dot!!

60. mmeetoilenoir says:

A few weeks ago, I went into the shiny new City Target on State St. for some travel-sized toiletries and contact solution. Within the hour, I was in the dressing room trying on a girdle/shaper thingy. Why???? I wear a size small, so I don’t even NEED a girdle. SMDH! Damn you to the depths, Target!

61. Iiona V says:

Case in point, I went to Trajay with my girlpies Saturday JUST to get some pull-ups and some wipes. Well while we are there we decided to check out the shoe section…

HOT DAYUM we hit the freaking Goldmine, all the dayum shoes was on clearance. I mean like $3.88 for a pair of super cute little girl shoes and my girlpies are excited asking, “Can we try on these and these too momma?” Each new pair they try on they like, “Oh we getting these too.” Well I happen to go look in the boys section, cause you know I gots a son at home and he can’t be left out. I find a pair of shoes I think he would like and calls my husband and is like, “We is at Tarjay, what size does the boy wear” He is all like what Tarjay you at, I’m like the one over here and he’s all like we on our way see ya’ll in a minute… *happy dance ensues*

Well he walks in and is all loud and proclaiming, “I’m only here for some flip flops!” *side eye, yeah ok hunny!*… needless to say each girl walked out with 4 new pairs of shoes, the boy got a pair, daddy got a pair, and… we redecorated 3 bathrooms in our house (towels, towel holders, baskets, trash cans, toothbrush holders) you know the whole shabang! I also got all party supplies for my baby girls birthday party and some snacks to eat on while we was there, and we found some cute clothes too. Needless to say we walked out about $400 lighter.

Yeah, Target’s the devil and my husband fell for the whole I’m only here to get flip flops talk…

62. Felicia says:

It’s like I’ve never seen eyeliner, nail polish and lipstick before. I go in there and get a bunch of crap that wasn’t even on my list. Oh wait. I don’t even make a list to go in there. See? I feed my own stupid habit. Sheesh.

63. RiettaLynn says:

Went to get the Kiddo [aged 3] winter clothes Saturday…spent over $900, BUT used my cartwheel, and debit card, and saved over $100 so…yeah, I said it…I AM BAD…then went back the next day to get more stuff…glanced at the sweaters…40% OFF THRU THE 30TH…lets be real…I use sweaters at work throughout the winter, summer, fall, and spring…YAY TARGET! I WON!! [Until my husband tells me to stoppit...but then I find something for him...and all is well in the world]

64. Idreaminchanel says:

First. This post brought a tear of joy to my eye! My best friend on maternity leave, but shopping for a snowsuit for her son. When I asked where they going. She replied for lunch dates to Target. And all I could do was co-sign. Like yeah girl. Target is the spot. Or the Red Dot boutique as we call it.

I stay spending $75 consistenly on socks, magazines and whatever else my eyes fall on. And ALWAYS forget to get the tissue paper I walked in there for.

65. Gretchen says:

TarJay has a special hook to get you in the store. THE PHARMACY. I called my prescription in the night before and requested a NOON pick up. I get there at 1pm to make sure its ready – Chaos and Havoc (my kids) are in the cart – b/c if they’re in the cart there’s no room for anything else right? I roll on over to the PHARMACY – tell them my name and I’m told that the prescription won’t be ready for another 20mins. WHAT????!!!! ITS.A. PLOY. ‘Cause you know I’m not going to go back home and come back in 20min. I’ll just push Chaos and Havoc around the store in the cart. OH look mommy, mickey mouse hand soap we NEED THAT! plink. Can we go to the Easter/Halloween/Christmas ISLE??? PLEASE?? plink, plink, plink. OH look mommy they’ve got x and its on sale!!! plink . Can we go look at the toy isle??? Sure but first we need to check out prices on crock pots – our 2nd one in two years broke….Oh is that a new spill proof coffee mug – I NEED THAT – plink. OWE Mom there’s no place for us to sit anymore there’s too much stuff in the cart. Damn how’d that happen… oh yeah – we need to go pick up that prescription….. takes elevator back down b/c you get the evil eye if you put a cart on the escalator w/kids in it. 45 minutes after I walked in to Tarjay – I pick up a prescription that cost $400. The TARGET PHARMACY will get you EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.

66. Bola says:

Target sure do use Vodoo on people, otherwise how else do I explain going there to buy “only” I repeat “only”thermal wear for my daughter and ended up buying a whole bunch of stuff. I even went in with my son in his stroller trying to avoid using the cart for shopping. But I filled every inch of that stroller up with stuff. Even the cup holder was not spared. Good lord! Lol!!!

67. Emarvelous says:

I’m going to help you out here. Because there IS a way to cut down on the foolishness. You think the name of the store is Target. No … YOU are the Target. Unless you fortify yourself! And one good way to do that is

Target.com

Now, I know you’re wondering, How does going to this website keep me from buying things? Trust me, it works.

The devil’s greatest trick is showing you everything you didn’t even know you wanted, and that is the core of the Target experience. That fucking chevron teapot never crossed your mind until you walked down Aisle 13. Then you find yourself wanting to get all organized, because you were probably watching HGTV and there was a Target commercial and that’s how you got here in the first place. So now you need to buy polka dot contact paper to line your cabinets.

But what if you saw all of these things BEFORE you actually got to Target? Chevron teapot ain’t so special when it’s on the screen for $27.99. YOU KNOW THAT AIN’T RIGHT! And now you can tell yourself, “I don’t need this!” — and mean it — when you get to the store and see it in person.

Just scroll through all kinds of categories on the website while you’re watching television and in no time, you will have seen most of what Target has to offer that you know you don’t need. You beat the voodoo trap of not seeing this shit for the first time, and now you won’t want it! And while everyone else is up in there losing their minds, you’re whistling “No Worries” and walking out of there having not lost your entire paycheck or Sunday and giving Target the finger in the parking lot.

68. Isunji says:

OH EM GEE – you have hit the nail on the head… This is me EVERY time – EVERY SINGLE TIME. Thanks to you I now know why and I can be prayed up and oiled down for my next visit! LOL!!! Loved this post because it is nothing but the truth!

69. Marqui Rayshel says:

As someone mentioned the other day, just go in there withOUT a basket…. HA! If it were only that easy! I end up looking like an idiot holding items in my armpits cause my hands are full, along with how I cleverly manage to stack things in my arms up to my neck. Once you enter the parking lot it’s over. You are either going on a shopping spree, or just stay away, FAR, FAR, away!