This Pic of Jesse Jackson and Marvin Gaye is 5 Types of Awesome

[ 33 ] December 2, 2012 |

While browsing the Tumblrs, I came across the pic below and squealed in delight.

Jesse Jackson Marvin Gaye Playing Basketball

What we have here is Jesse Jackson playing basketball with the late great Marvin Gaye. And I’m living!!! For so many reasons.

First of all, we MUST talk about Jesse’s afro. Mr. Jackson’s afro looks so damb legit. Like he found out the secret to healthy natural hair before the rest of us did. It’s all voluminous and stuff. Even with the headband on it, I can tell this ‘fro commands respect. Looking all plush. Did he use shea butter and coconut oil? You gotta pay #amish to that coiffure of his. Young Jesse GOT IT.

And then, let’s talk about their shorts. These two macho men got on daisy dukes to hoop. It was the 70s to this was the norm. But it still doesn’t make it less hilarious. Why were their shorts so little? Were the afraid their thighs would get too hot? Look at Marvin’s shorts? Lawd, I’m afraid one wrong move gon end up with in two (or three) balls being visible on the court instead of one. Just tiny. They were hooping in boxer briefs, basically. HA!

But, I must admit. Those shorts show off some pretty great gams on these fellas. Look at Marvin Gaye’s thighs. Perfectly hairless and smooth. Some of us could only wish! After a wax. And Jesse got them strong calves. I’m here for it ALL.

Good times. But seriously. This picture is about 5 kinds of awesome. I love it.

Whatcha’ll think of this pic? Also, I wonder who won this game.

Tags: , , , ,

Category: Famous folks, Throwback Thursday

1. Barbara Sanders says:

Luvvie,

Rev. Jackson said he won it! Marvin Gaye lost and had to perform at a PUSH Fundraiser!!! This was a great historical moment in Black History.

2. TT says:

I can see that Marvin was gifted in a whole other way through those lil ass shorts

3. Deekie Mack says:

I need you to know that I do not like Jesse Jackson. Haven’t for years. And my disdain for his general showhisassery peaked during Obama’s first presidential campaign. However, if I must be honest, young Jesse coulda touched it. Twice. Something about them arms and legs are kinda nice. :-)

4. Devon (@dmb07) says:

Jesse is rocking that Hector from Heathcliff headband. Maybe he and Marvin took the convertible Catillac out for ice cream after the game.

• Taj Mahal says:

I scrolled then I rolled. That’s exactly who he looks like! A throwback roast for a throwback pic. I do approve!

5. Erin says:

Feelin some kinda way about Marvin right now. And it’s making me uncomfortable. *peeks back at the pic*

6. Amber says:

I live! I can’t get over the chocolately smoothness of Marvin’s thighs! *cues the theme song from the Nair commercials*

7. SanTara says:

Marvin’s “sexual healing” is seepin’ from under them little shawts!! ok, bye! *scrolls back up for further inspection*

8. Marcie says:

This is a great historical photo. And yeah, Jesse does look like a hair commercial.

9. ab says:

Can’t believe you posted this pic. O_O
    Its not for sharing, its winter nights by the pillow, when the other half is away and the hand must stray…

10. Rachel says:

This is AMAZING. In every way. The comments are killing me. And I approve of Jesse’s afro, for sure.

You can publish old-school photos like this *anytime*, Luvvie.

11. Joi says:

If you look at the liner notes you will see the lyrics to Sexual Healing was actually written by Marvin Gaye’s shorts.

12. Luminous P Jenkins says:

My daddy wore them shorts WELL INTO the 90s to play basketball. I still hate him for that.

13. JaLonda says:

I damb near slid out my office chair behind “Let’s Get It On Imprint”!!!

14. misstish says:

Hilarious how fashions change…Jesse is all dressed for a bear convention. With those pretty, muscle-y legs, big fro, and ALL those acres of chest hair, he’d be the belle of the ball(s???).

Yes, Luvvie, I’m going to my room to seek Jesus.

15. Diva says:

Jessie was using nothing but juices and berries on that fro! And them legs are showing off all them muskles!
    Marvin’s smoove thighs are What’s Goin’ on! Whew.

16. Yogi says:

Am I seeing Marvin’s blessed assurance peeping out them shorty shorts.
    Okay bye. (As I scrolling back up.) I promise I’ll only look with my good eye.

17. Helen Renee says:

Jesse is lookin like he is talking so much trash… like, “you wanna know what’s goin on… I’m about to to serve you this slam dunk.. that’s WHAT’S GOIN ON, SUCKA!”