MLK’s Dream Wasn’t to End Up On Your Club Flyers

[ 62 ] January 10, 2013 |

Y’all play too murch. TOO DAMB MURCH! I know folks love clubbing and promoters love getting people to buy expensive, watered-down drinks while listening to terrible music for 4 hours and getting their shoes stepped on. HOWEVER, must they use some of the tactics they do? Like:

MLK Party 2

Seriously? Why do y’all have my main man Martin Luther King Jr. on your club flyer for some “weekend shuffle?” Not just that, but they got him looking like he gon take me for ALL my money. Like he’s gonna challenge me to a game of craps and if I say NAWL, he gon tell me “Yo, why you scared, doe?” You are not gonna do him like that!

This version of MLK looks like he couldn’t be trusted because he was always asking you to support his newest hustle. I wouldn’t e’em wanna go to a party where this dude will be present. The other men there will probably have on socks and sandals and short sets.

NOPE. Not for me.

Well, my point is supposed to be that they shouldn’t e’em have MLK on tacky club flyers with parties in his name. But umm… the MLK above is the one pre-movement, it looks like. Don’t be pulling out his super young pics so folks can think your party’s gon be about that life. If you ARE gon use the man, use a visual of him in a suit, not that it’ll make it better. Like below:

MLK Day Party

They got this dude rocking some bootleg non-Beats by Dre headphones, looking like he doesn’t approve of anything that might could go on at this shindig. MLK ain’t gon be at this party. Why are y’all using him as your marketing tool? Uh uh. Nawl. Talmbout “No Worries Bash.” That’s foolishment.

Black people (and others), I need us to stop using Martin Luther tha Kang’s pictures for janky club pluggers. I need us to stop having MLK-themed parties around his birthday. His dream was not for y’all to have “Drop it like it’s hot” Sunday in your raggelly club in his name! How does this honor his legacy? I know he wasn’t a saint (he was far from it) but Martin is prolly hitting his dougie in his grave.

This is just like that episode of the Boondocks, when MLK moved to Canada and said he was leaving y’all to your devices.

you tried it tamar gif

Tell your cousins to stop using that man’s image like this. Martin ain’t march all over the for y’all to abuse his likeness like this. Y’all already tried it with the Trayvon Martin hoodie parties that popped up all over the place last year. YOU. TRIED. IT. MLK parties at the club are like Gandhi keggers. They are foolish and make no sense!

So whatcha think bout MLK night at Club Grown and Sexy? You going or nah?

Tags: , ,

Category: Famous folks

1. YeahTam says:

Le sigh… this is why I withdrew/resigned/chucked the deuces at the black race this Sunday. I can’t take it! I’m gone!!! What’s next? Harriet Tubman or Sojourner Truth on flyers… I’m scared to see what is next y’all!

• LadyTee16 says:

Holy crap Yeah Tam, don’t say that too loud, someone may make that come to fruition. I can just see somebody promoting an event at Club Groove talking about “show us your best underground rail road twerk CUZ YOU IZ A WOMAN” and there will be pictures of Soujourner and Harriet on there. GIVE IT TIME- IT WILL HAPPEN

• Stanley says:

So many black people have allowed corporate media to turn them into a caricature of themselves. And government programs have succeeded in creating one fatherless black household after the next. Believe it or not, the income gap between blacks and whites is wider now than it was during the Jim Crow era. If I were black I’d be outraged. Actually, I’m outraged anyway.

• Michael says:

You must not have seen russell simmons video of Harriet Tubman having sex with her slave master. Complete sellout of our history for money!

2. numbah5 says:

Truth be told….young MLK,Jr. could have got it…twice on Sundays…

I’ll see my way out :0\

3. Taj Mahal says:

This generation is so lost. If they know what the man was about, yet they still use his image for the coonery that he was against, then this proves that a great deal of them cannot be educated. This makes me want to move to an island uninhabited by said coons and wait for them to self-implode.

• LadyTee16 says:

Taj, you bring up a good point about there being a serious disconnect between some folks and our history (because, it’s not just young people either. I know people in their 30s who lack knowledge of history). When I was growing up, I remember for a period of ten years straight, my parents made my brother and I watch Eyes on the Prize (I and II) on PBS. That is not done so much now because PBS doesn’t air that documentary anymore.

• Music man321 says:

Negroes have lost their way. The ignorant ones will be slaves again, it is just a matter of time. Ignorance….

4. Krystle Kleer says:

so can we blow up the idiot’s Twitter feed? This is wrong on so many levels. I believe in positive reinforcement…but a good dose of shame never hurt. They need a big scarlet letter hung around their neck. “I am not really black…I just pretend to be to shame the others”. Make em march in Selma with a big sandwich board. Go to the Lorraine motel. Visit … never mind. I am gonna go spend some time with a child today so they won’t be the fool of tomorrow. Hmph…find me a church nurse… got me walking and mumbling. It was just first Sunday done took communion and I am already fighting the air… and I am babbling.

• Celeste says:

I did exactly that, I was the only one to address them concerning this matter. He pointed out this flyer was from 2013. I told him it was coming back to haunt him, he made a meme of it. I am unmoved.

5. Rachael says:

Someone should forward this to his family, and they should sue. Just to prove a point. This is ridiculous.

6. Mick says:

Just go on and add me to the “MLK can get it” crew. He is fine AND he got a dream? Yeah.

7. Em. says:

I just imagined that way back when MLK was young Alpha at Morehouse and some young enterprising bruh was promoting an exclusive party with a picture of W.E.B. Du Bois on the flyer–instead of grown and sexy it was “The Talent Tenth”.

8. LadyTee16 says:

Reason 50132 as to why we aint free. That is all.

*reaches into wallet to cut up black card for the 813th time*

9. Courtney says:

This is some damn coonery. This generation is lost. This is NOT what MLK marched for. This is some Hoodrat supreme behavior. Trayvon Martin’s posters were another foolery. I saw one where they can get in before 12 with a bag of skittles. This and the usually foolery that happens is the reason why I can’t with black clubs. Besides I like a variety of music and don’t want to be grind on.

10. Courtney says:

Foolery, Coonery, Tomfoolery, etc. This is why I can’t do the black club scene sometimes. The Trayvon Martin’s flyers were foul and disrespectful. And this one is a shame. MLK did not march for these hoodrats to pop or drop it. Or to get drunk. People were lynched, beaten, spray with water hose, and died for our rights. This generation is lost. Nothing is sacred to them. I remember there was A Thanksgiving Clap 4 Canned Goods club event in the DMV. Yeah, that’s right Clap 4 Canned Goods and they are not talking about clapping your hands. -__- *fights air and rolls around in carpet* They made charity work ratchet. Sigh, IWeep for some if our people.

• Terri says:

Clap 4 Canned Goods?!
      *wall slides* This cannot be life! Nothing is sacred.
      And MLK with the studio headphones…I cannot deal

11. i’m so mad at the headphones, tho..smh…foolishness!

12. Tiwaah says:

Lol@post. You are a riot Luvvie. I am sorry but this is a man known for sleeping with prostitutes while he was married. I can see him going to these events to get his freak on. I mean, all that marching and dreaming can wear a brother out. Let’s learn to laugh at ourselves, black folks. It’s not that serious. The high murder rate in our communities (500 murders in Chicago in 2012) now that’s what we should be angry at. We have bigger fish to fry than some negros putting MLK pic on flyer. So- called Jesus gets made fun of all the time.

13. I'm saying tho says:

Y’all are so rachet for lusting over MLK! So damb disrespectful……

……goes back to photoshopping my face over Michelle’s in the Obama wedding photo…..

14. ThummyB says:

Oh please don’t forget the foolishness that is the ‘Martin Loofah the King’ exfoliating glove. iCan’t!

15. I guess I’ve been away from the club scene too long. I ain’t never seen anything as janky as this! Wow… that’s like blasphemy or something right. I mean in grandma’s house his picture is right up there next to Jesus and Obama!

16. isonprize says:

Martin “LOOFAH” King. Seriously. Google it.

17. tan says:

Luvvie you have me lmbo.. This is sum tomfoolishness.. I will not be in attendance to any of this mess.

18. lord snot says:

America is DEAD and black americans are now the Gypsies of the west. It shall not be long before the effects of all that has happened weighs in on black american and americans in general. America is a matriarchal society that worships money and materialism. Obama is a brand and fraud who has gained support on the dismissal of black men’s social and economic realities. Troy Davis suffered on the backs of so many who don’t even know his name. Black america deserves everything that it gets now. Their stupidity and lack of acknowledgment and preservation of their history have condemned them to oblivion. Much like the red man, blacks will meet their end without a shot fired. The weak enslave themselves. To all those high functioning black males left. Get out of this wasteland while you can. And seek the hope of a new life someplace else where the quality of life allows you to thrive as opposed to living in fear, ridicule and isolation. America hates Men and especially black men. You owe this place nothing and no one appreciates your hard work and sacrifices. Leave this wasteland to the women/feminists, gays, capitalists and other soulless scum who now populate the majority of this warped nation. America is Dead. See the storm approaching and get out while you can.

• wallslider says:

umm…ok?

• Kwan says:

LMFAO this comment became irrelevant the moment you said America is a matriarchal society…. this is the same country where women had to fight for the right to vote. Kindly see yourself out the door and don’t come back, Thanks.

• Sally says:

I actually thought that man made a type-o, then I read on. Patriarchal the world h&as always been (w a few exceptions). Matriarchal would certainly b better, even for patriarchs.

19. Claire says:

I remember the first time I saw one of those fliers. I almost thought it was a joke. But people can be nasty so… *smh*

20. Norm says:

LOL..this is probably for the new reality show, “Photoshop Gone Wild”.

21. chitown fuzz says:

Well, I’m sure I will be bashed for it, but the truth shall set you free.

Y’all do remember that dude smoked squares, drank, and participated in orgies. How y’all know he wouldn’t be at the twerk jam? Dude would have been like:

I had a dreammmmmm, that fo butt naked hoes were twerking in my hotel room to that two chainnnnnnnnnns:

I had a dream today…….

• Unamused says:

This was absolutely the dumbest thing I have ever read. Trying hard to be funny and failed.

• Shawn McDonald says:

Martin Luther King Jr. fought for Racial Equality…..he Died for it!!! These pictures and your idiotic response makes me Cringe!!! To think, I watched TV programs of the fights..the Struggle, I see racism everyday….something Martin Luther King Jr. fought for. While walking into the home where he was born and partially raised, feeling Proud to see the Man I admired all my Life…only to be disrespected by the very same people whom he laid his life on the line for!!!
      I know my race (white) do dumb racist things….not me, but Damn…..Not this….not to One of the Greatest Men that’s ever lived!!!

22. michael says:

I need a tickets 2 tickets drames

23. Ken says:

People so stupid these days they really don’t understand whats going on. Just watch tv, movies and listen to the music.

24. Dee Dee Brown says:

This was a very poorly written article.
    Someone needs to repeat Elementary school English

25. Teresa Brown says:

The reason is there is no cultural pride the way other ethnic groups are. We had it in the 60s but its gone. I don’t believe Jews would not put the Pope on party flyers

26. Lady Survivor says:

http://youtu.be/iZnc9YOS9Lw WHOMEVER DID THIS DISRESPTFUL CRAP I HOPE THE FAMILY SUEEEEEEEE THEIR TALE. BUT MOST OF ALL I WILL NOT LOSE ANY SLEEP BECAUSE GOD IS ON THIS. I WILL BE PRAYING FOR YOU.

27. lalawrence says:

Not surprising one bit…children grow into adults having seen and learned from an adult society on how to act and pimp out dead presidents and musicians and other dignitaries. Truly, we can’t shake our heads at this when for how long have we too found it okay to rape the minds of children with Santa, Tooth Fairy, Sandman, Easter Bunny. We are a society of disrespect that breeds acceptable disrespect.

28. ALW says:

It’s things like this, doing things WITHOUT thinking of the repercussions, that makes folks think that this generation is lost.

Have just a little respect and consider that how you see things is not how everyone sees them. Think of the historical significance of Martin and not about making a quick buck.

29. CC Clark says:

Then we complain of disrespect. They are only watching us disrespect each other so why not?

30. Chrisopher B says:

Too any club promoter who is using Dr. King’s image for your party fliers this weekend, you need a good cross burning in your front yard by the White Knights of the Klu Klux Klan!