For the past year or so, there’s been a satirical account on Twitter called @HonestToddler, whose tweets are what you’d imagine every mischievous toddler thinks but can’t express. It’s complete hilarity because those of us who deal with toddlers regularly know how much they can be jerks (but they’re so cute so they can get away with it).
Honest Toddler gives us such gems as:
Good series on TV right now about a young runaway trying to find a forever family. Stay strong, Dora.
— Honest Toddler (@HonestToddler) April 12, 2013
Onions. Just because a plant is interesting from a design perspective does not make it food. Take Christmas trees, for example.
— Honest Toddler (@HonestToddler) March 14, 2013
It’s genius and I am HERE for it.
Today, the Honest Toddler Facebook fan page posted:
I honestly didn’t e’em know Jessica Alba had a company, let alone one called Honest Company. Apparently, what her company does is deliver monthly eco-friendly products to families with babies.
And they are threatening to sue a fake toddler on the web for being known as “Honest Toddler.” I have a couple of questions. And some, I will answer myself.
1. If the Honest Company interviewed Honest Toddler last year and ki-kied it up then, what changed to make them go “We don’t like this! DELETE DELETE DELETE!” I know what changed. Honest Toddler got more popular than their company and they’re butthurt about it. @HonestToddler has FIVE times as many Twitter followers than @Honest. TUCK IN YOUR SALTY, Honest Company! How about YOU be clever and you do better? Maybe then you wouldn’t feel threatened by a satirical toddler who makes us all laugh.
b. Is there really brand confusion between Honest Toddler and Honest Company? Are people REALLY out here thinking they’re associated? Related, “Honest” is such a general word that can it be trademarked at all? (I want my lawyer readers to answer this).
iii. Why doesn’t Honest Company try to partner with Honest Toddler, if they feel like it’s threatening to them? That would have been a win-win. Looks like SOMEONE never learned to share! Yes, the company clearly needs to go back to that week in kindergarten.
4a. Why did the company really go straight to the threats of legal action? Oh I know. Because a lot of people will buckle under that weight and after hearing that lawyers will get involved. And because Honest company lacks a sense of humor. AND they’re really feeling threatened.
Well, you know. the Honest Company team DID get what they want here. More people know that the company exists now. So YAYYYY them. But will more people wanna patronize them? Nawl. All publicity isn’t good publicity and this one is terrible.
HONEST TODDLER FOREVER!!!
Update: Honest Toddler’s Bunmi Laditan spoke with the company and apparently, it was a “misunderstanding.” Ummm… yeah. That’s word for “we messed up and didn’t realize the whole internet would raise hell and people would threaten to quit us.” Ennehweighs, they’re now giving away a year’s worth of diapers to someone on the Honest Toddler Facebook page.
Well, good for them.
The moral of this story is that Goliath, don’t come for David because David might be small but he got peoples. Honest Toddler wins. JUICE BOXES FOR EVERYONE!
Update on July 28, 2013: Honest Company is back and it and showing that they’re absolute bullies. Bunmi Laditan, the genius behind Honest Toddler filed a trademark for the phrase months ago BEFORE this whole fiasco went down and she just got notice that Honest Company filed opposition to it. According to the Honest Toddler Facebook fan page:
“Long story short, I was led to believe that it was all a misunderstanding when I was asked to withdraw my “honest toddler” trademark which is why in good faith I held the giveaway but then received a notice that The Honest Company had opposed my trademark.
FACT: I am more than willing to agreement to not make products like The Honest Company but I AM NOT wiling to cancel my trademark so they can license it back to me “for free.” That puts me in a very bad situation if they were to ever decide to revoke the license.
I find all of this absolutely ridiculous.”
I (and a lot of others) do too! I need Honest Company to go have a gahtdamb seat! I really hope this blows up in their faces.
Read Bunmi Laditan’s post on the timeline of this whole Honest Company saga if you want more details.
Here’s the official Honest Toddler response to this:
Sites That Link to this Post
- Siegel Family In Queen Of Versailles Documentary Resumes Building | April 17, 2013
- Fresh Links: Breastfeeding Support For Black Moms, Plus Honest Toddler & New De La Soul Music | April 18, 2013
- Are diapers produced by Honest Company good? « Baby Care « FreeAllArticle | June 30, 2013
- Are diapers produced by Honest Company good? | Int'lArticleList | June 30, 2013
- Ezinesandarticles.com – Are diapers produced by Honest Company good? | June 30, 2013
- Are diapers produced by Honest Company good? « Baby Care « ArticleZoneOnline | June 30, 2013
- Are diapers produced by Honest Company good? « Baby Care « FirstArticleDrectory | June 30, 2013
- Are diapers produced by Honest Company good? « Baby Care « BestWorldwideArticles | June 30, 2013
- Are diapers produced by Honest Company good? « Baby Care « GreatArticleList | June 30, 2013
- ProsperousArticles – Are diapers produced by Honest Company good? | June 30, 2013
- YourArticleHub – Are diapers produced by Honest Company good? | June 30, 2013
- Jessica Alba Sues A Toddler | WIDK | July 30, 2013
- Major Parenting Brands Face Off « Celebrity Blok | July 30, 2013
- Major Parenting Brands Face Off | InternetSuccess4You | July 31, 2013
- Is The Eco-Friendly Honest Company Pushing Honest Toddler Around? | July 31, 2013
- The (Dis) Honest Company vs. Honest Toddler | beautiful entropy | October 28, 2013
- Jessica Alba's The Honest Company: Behind the Label : EcoSalon | Conscious Culture and Fashion | March 6, 2014