5 Reasons Why I Loved ‘Boy Meets World’ And Why I’m Excited for ‘Girl Meets World!’
Some of us 80s and 90s kids used to watch Boy Meets World religiously, following the stories of Cory, Topanga, Shawn, Eric and Mr. Feeny as they went from middle school to high school to college. It was about love, life, growing pains and growing up. It was cute, sappy and hilarious. We didn’t mind that somehow, Mr. Feeny ended up as their teacher and principal every step of the way. In fact, I think we loved it more because of that.
I loved Boy Meets World fiercely. FIERCELY! And Disney just announced that they’ve picked up Girl Meets World so I’m revisiting one of the favorite shows of my childhood.
5 Reasons Why I Loved Boy Meets World
5. The Season 5 & 6 Theme Song – Even after all these years, I still jam to the Boy Meets World Theme song. It was during a time when show song intros were super important and you never wanted to miss it because it was part of the experience. The theme song to this show was so catchy and I felt (and still feel) no shame singing along to it loudly. In case you forgot, here it is:
When this Boy Meets World, Boy Meets World. Wandering down this road, that we call life is what we’re doing. It’s good to know I have friends that will always stand by me. When this Boy Meets Woooorrrrlllldddd.
It’s stuck in your head now too, right? You’re welcome!
4. Eric – Face it. I thought Eric was adorable. With his 90s bob that was always luxurious. Dude looked like he stepped out of an herbal essence commercial all the time. I didn’t care that he was dumber than a box of rocks. He was so cute! Also, his Mr. Feeny call gave me what I needed EVERY TIME!
And this call for Mr. Feeny was awesome because Mr. Feeny was awesome. That brings me to my next point.
3. Mr. Feeny’s gems of wisdom – Mr. Feeny was the show’s conscience, and the best teacher EVER. He was like Yoda in a tweed suit. No matter how much his favorite students acted up, he was there to teach them a tough lesson (and follow them throughout their academic career. Some might call that stalking but I call it commitment). Mr. Feeny stayed dropping gems of wisdom on Cory, Topanga, Eric and Shawn.
Come on and PREACH, Feeny! He gave us life’s manual with his words. I was always here for George Feeny wisdom. Also “It’s not enough to desire to succeed in this cold cruel world. Then you simply become a part of it. You must also have a desire to change it.” I got that from an abandoned Twitter account called @FeenyWisdom. I want whoever is behind it to kick it back off.
2. Cory and Shawn’s Bromance – I have a soft spot for bromances because we too often assume that strong friendships are just a thing women hold dear. But nah. Bromances are real outchea and I loved Cory and Shawn’s so much. They went through thick and thin together, and nothing could keep them apart.
And they gave each other advice through love and life. Like the time Shawn told Cory that “It’s raining because God is crying. And he’s crying because He created you and Topanga to be the role model of the perfect couple for the entire universe.”
So cheesy and so perfect and I might have sniffled a little bit. AAWWW!!! BEST BROS FOREVER!
1. Cory and Topanga’s love – Cory and Topanga have to be in my top 5 favorite TV couples EVER! I mean, how could you not love them? They were THE CUTEST! BuzzFeed has an awesome and depressing post about how your love will never measure up. Because in the 6th grade, they used to say things like this to each other:
GAHHHHH!!! The cutes! It’s too much for my thugginess. TOO. MUCH. CUTE! Even when they broke up, we knew they couldn’t be apart for long. They had us writing “Cory + Topanga = 4EVA” in our Trapper Keepers. From their first kiss to Cory’s wedding proposal. Chile… I was so invested in their love and they rarely let me down. In fact, I wouldn’t mind if they just went ahead and got married in real life so I could get my ENTIRE LIFE!
All these reasons and prolly a couple more (like how Shawn and Angela dated and it felt right and it wasn’t some token situation) are why I’m so excited that Girl Meets World is coming next year and will be on the Disney Channel! WHOOOOOT!
Cory and Topanga are now married with a tween daughter and the show is about their lives. Cory is a teacher at his daughter’s school (the new Mr. Feeny) and Topanga runs a pudding shop there. Yes, that pudding shop business gave me pause and made me side-eye a little bit but I shan’t let my excitement be waned. Look at this pic:
CORY AND TOPANGA ARE BACK!!!!! Come on, somebody! Look at the way Topanga is staring at him lovingly. I die.
I hope Disney makes us proud and keeps the heart of the show. We’re about to skew their demographics because the 24-35 year old crowd is super excited here. This show might be targeted to teens but some of us who are more grown and wanna reminisce about our childhood will be tuning it. DON’T MESS THIS UP, DISNEY! DO. NOT. MESS. THIS. UP.
Good times. I’m so ready!
Are you as excited that I am and will you be tuning in? Also, why are we overgrown?
Edit: And this happened.
@Luvvie that was awesome. 🙂
— Danielle Fishel (@daniellefishel) June 19, 2013
AS I LIVE. I DIE And clearly, we now go together.