Famous folks

About Nicki Minaj Calling Out Miley Cyrus at the VMAs

I did not watch the MTV VMAs last night, because I was out enjoying my last weekend in Chicago until October. BUT, you know I had to catch up with the highlight, which was Nicki Minaj getting on stage and calling out Miley Cyrus.

What had happened was, a few weeks ago, Nicki Minaj and Taylor Swift got into a mini tiff on Twitter, because Nicki mentioned being ignored for awards because she’s basically a Black girl and Taylor felt it was a slight on her. They had their thing, they made up blah blah blah. Then Miley did an interview a couple of days ago where she commented on it talmbout:

“If you want to make it about race, there’s a way you could do that. But don’t make it just about yourself. Say: ‘This is the reason why I think it’s important to be nominated. There’s girls everywhere with this body type. What I read sounded very Nicki Minaj, which, if you know Nicki Minaj is not too kind. It’s not very polite. I think there’s a way you speak to people with openness and love.”

So she basically told Nicki to be nicer next time she wants to call out racism, and then she calls her “not kind.” Mikey tried it so hard that she doesn’t even get an E for Effort.

Last night as Nicki accepted her award, she turned to Miley, who was hosting the VMAs and said: “This bitch had a lot to say about me the other day in the press. Miley, what’s good?”

Nicki Minaj Miley Whats Good

My new favorite thing.

So here we are today. People are calling Nicki Minaj everything but a child of God, and I am not here, there nor anywhere for it. I do not support that shit. Below is my rant from Twitter. If you can’t view it below, check it out on Storify.

Drop your thoughts below.

MILEY, WHATS GOOD?

These Are My Petty Confessions (And Yours Too)

I'm Taking One More Big Trip Before Summer Ends

1. August 31, 2015 at 1:41 pm

Nicki thanked her pastor, took a deep breath and cursed Miley fool out LOL!

• Oberhur
      September 1, 2015 at 7:58 am

Nicky feels like she feels! A couple of years ago Miley was all up on a married dude in a dog outfit and thought it was cute! Not consider the source! She is a red neck unapologetic little rich hill billy that was born with a silver spoon in her mouth!

2. Milaxx
    August 31, 2015 at 1:44 pm

Amen!!!!

3. Shakira Harris
    August 31, 2015 at 1:54 pm

We are TIRED, you hear me?! Pure tired of being told to “be nice” and stay in our place because we’re perceived as scary when we DESERVINGLY vent our frustrations against the MANY injustices thrown our way. I was with Nicki all THEE way! Like you said Luvvie, even Jesus flipped tables over, so White folks better get ready to do some major cleaning up *drops mic*

• Ms. Neeba
      August 31, 2015 at 3:38 pm

You’re right. IT is ALL the way tiring to keep fighting the image of “angry black woman”. Lil Billy Ray knew what she was doing ALL THE WAY.

• prettydarkskinnedgirl
      August 31, 2015 at 5:17 pm

Now THAT’S what I’m saying right there! Nikki was “not kind” because she was pissed! If we act like angry Black women maybe it’s because… oh, i don’t know…we’re angry! Black women are justifiably angry and tired as all hell of being overlooked and stereotyped and discriminated against. We’re sick of being cast in too little jackets that don’t fit us: kind/White folks-friendly (aka “step & fetch it”); or we gotta be angry with bad attitudes (aka “bitchy); or we gotta be ghetto hood rats that have no couth (aka THOTs). None of those jackets fit me and I’m exchanging it for one that DOES fit. I’m gonna need White folks to stop telling us how to be and how to act.

• prettydarkskinnedgirl
        August 31, 2015 at 5:20 pm

Oh and I really actually like Onika…even when she’s #TeamTooMuch or #QueenofBadDecisions

4. hub
    August 31, 2015 at 1:55 pm

Nikki Minaj has a track record of being a dick and going of on people. She’s upset with Miley because she said some unfavorable things about her nasty attitude, everything Miley said was true. She cussed out lil kim, she attacked Mariah Carey, she went for Iggy the list goes on Hop of her bals the lady has a problem. Please don’t tell me she was making a deep statement about racial disparity in the entertainment I dusty when she disses lil kim and Mariah.

• Teri
      August 31, 2015 at 1:59 pm

It doesn’t matter if it was all about her. It doesn’t matter if she wasn’t making some
      deep statement about racial disparities, which she certainly was. Nicki is known for speaking on the silencing of black women’s voices. So for her to stand up for herself on live national TV is anti racism work within itself, even if she wasn’t intentionally speaking on racial issues.

• dani
      September 1, 2015 at 6:07 am

oh no, she attacked known faultless saints, Lil Kim, Mariah Carey, and Iggy Azalea??? those three are always on their best behavior obviously, can’t imagine why she’d have problems with any of them… -_-

5. The Kid
    August 31, 2015 at 1:56 pm

MILEY WHATS GOOD better become just as famous as Bye Felicia. Queen Nicki dominant had me hollering and whooping at the tv last night. Fuck politeness. We’ve been polite for 400 years.

• Lala
      August 31, 2015 at 4:38 pm

#fuckpoliteness

6. Lenore
    August 31, 2015 at 2:00 pm

I knew it was going to get the bullying treatment from MSM and the “Why you gotta be an Angry Black Woman?” From the #NewBlacks. Nope nope nope. Miley had ALL the words for Nicki until she was face to face. I wish Miley was closer to her so she didn’t have the time to try and cover her behind.
    Nicki was never talking TO Miley other Taylor but both girls decided to speak on Nicki. They got what they deserved in response to their actions.

7. Kelsey
    August 31, 2015 at 2:11 pm

Maybe it’s just me but I don’t see anything wrong with Miley saying if you want to talk about race make it a blanket statement because personally anaconda is a shit video. It didn’t deserve a nomination. I don’t care how many people dressed up and reenacted the video, it sucked. I didn’t like any of the videos to tell you the truth but Nicki’s video was trash and she cried foul because she didn’t get a nod for an award (it’s a MTV award not a Nobel Peace prize) because she’s so special. No, she can have a seat. If it’s about body positivity and having videos nominated that aren’t so whitewashed and not reflective of society/body shapes she could have said that without whining about her garbage video.
    Miley was wrong in saying the rest about Nicki needing to be nice, but in the big scheme of things who cares? The video in question was garbage.
    As for coming for Miley…meh whatever. She’s not a bully for speaking her mind and frankly I don’t take Miley as some sad little white girl in need of rescue, so people calling Nicki a bully and everything else, they can sit right down.
    Really it’s a bunch of mess over something that was junk to begin with.

• hub
      August 31, 2015 at 2:24 pm

I wholeheartedly agree with you. She stood a better chance of people understanding what the heck she was trying to say if she didn’t feel so entitled to win a nomination for such a crappy video. Miley said what everyone else was thinking. I’m black and I thought her going up there and acting like an ignorant individual was cringe worthy. I get that she wants to speak up about the racism in the industry which is rampant but gurl anaconda was a shitty video. If you’re gonna speak up on the topic you should be able to work with your peers not put them down every chance you get. I can’t take her seriously on any real issues because she is always putting people down. I feel like people fighting for a ause at times can be the most hipocritical you can make your point without dragging someone down

• hub
      August 31, 2015 at 2:28 pm

I agree Miley was not bullied she held her own and gave it right back. People are over looking that because they want to believe that their belligerent queen didn’t get handled.

• Stace
        August 31, 2015 at 3:25 pm

So Miley wasn’t rude when she said ‘congratu-f&*(inglations’ in rebuttal? I’m confused. Also not clear how one can be bullied if they started the discord. I am not a fan of either of these women’s music and maybe a VMA stage was not the best place to lose one’s chill BUT I do understand when someone who has NO CLUE tries to marginalize and discount another persons life experience because that person is standing up for themselves can be infuriating as hell. Being ‘nice’ is not always the best strategy and there are a LOT of cantankerous famous white females in the industry who are NOT NICE DAILY and is Miley commenting on them? So like you I am very glad NICKI stood up for herself whether she is ornery on a daily basis or NOT! and did not cow tow to Miley on this. If Miley is trying to reach a higher consciousness when she was asked that question in an interview she should have ‘nicely’ just said no comment.

• Serenity
      September 1, 2015 at 3:01 pm

Miley was wrong when she commented about something that wasn’t her business to comment on. She had nothing to do with the convo between Nikki and Swift. Nikki’s comments were NEVER about race, but the white girls took it there and with no provocation. That’s why Nikki was angry. And deservedly so. Folks need to mind their own business and stay in their lanes

8. August 31, 2015 at 2:30 pm

I am here to say, yes to this all. Any time that a Black woman expresses anger she is an angry Black woman. A white woman does it, and she’s “assertive.”

• Kenitra
      August 31, 2015 at 9:48 pm

#doublestandards

9. Kiera
    August 31, 2015 at 2:36 pm

So we all are going to pretend we didn’t see Nicki smile after she said “What’s good?” Just before the cameras turned she started to smile.
    Come on, now. If Nicki really was that P.O.’d there would have been no need to wait until she was on stage to address the situation.

• Renee
      August 31, 2015 at 3:26 pm

And when they cut back to Nicki, she said “I’m not playin’ with this bitch” with that face that, if you saw it on the street, you’d know she was putting on her biggest rings and taking her earrings off.

10. August 31, 2015 at 2:50 pm

I am beaming with ratchet black girl pride. Ain’t nobody here for “starved chicken lungs booty” Miley and her incomplete thoughts about racism. Nicki Minaj said exactly what she should have.

• prettydarkskinnedgirl
      August 31, 2015 at 5:28 pm

“her incomplete thoughts about racism”…well, damn!

• Pam
      September 2, 2015 at 6:27 pm

ohmygosh “starved chicken lungs booty”

Please make sure there are some nice lilies at my funeral because I am now really most sincerely dead!!!!!!!

Also, Miley is petty as petty can be, and the ‘congratuf*ckinglations’ was the last damn straw. I think there’s a reason she and Nicki were on two separate stages and Miley’s lucky because if it was the same stage, Miss Cultural Appropriation 20#allatahm would have gotten wig-snatched in the most literal of ways.

11. Town
    August 31, 2015 at 2:52 pm

There was also no need for Miley to even address the situation WEEKS after everything had been resolved between Nicki & Taylor.

Miley might’ve been factually true but just as she told Nicki how she needed to act in order to address her grievances, Imma let Miley know how SHE needs to act when addressing her grievances:

1) Get your facts straight. Nicki didn’t go off on a rant about blonde white women so to blast Nicki for something she didn’t even say is wrong. (whether that’s what Nicki meant or not, Miley’s grievance is that Nicki went off on a rant about blonde white women –Nicki didn’t even mention hair color so that’s some salt Miley threw into the pot).

2) Don’t tell somebody they need to be “polite” when addressing their grievances. Was Miley “polite” in any of her media interviews?

3) Don’t think because you’re hanging out with a bunch of black rappers that you can talk to or about black people anywhichaway you want. No, little girl. Fall back.

Then you have Salon (see #1) adding their voices to the mix, describing Nicki as a savage for coming for Miley (much as the wine train people described the black book club as physically & verbally abusive to justify their actions). There was nothing “savage” about Nicki Minaj and if it were the other way around, if Miley had called out Nicki on the stage for the VMA brouhaha instead of in the NYT Miley would’ve been described as brave and a truthteller.

Miley came at Nicki with a sense of violence; Nicki responded. Don’t knuck if you can’t buck, and the only reason Miley bucked is she knew she had the power of MTV behind her.

12. Lynn
    August 31, 2015 at 2:53 pm

I think there was a better way for NM to address MS, to me it was handled poorly. I agree there are many things we black women have to deal with perception wise in this world and much of it is unfair and undeserved. NM made herself look bad during a moment to celebrate her accomplishment.

• Natasha
      August 31, 2015 at 3:54 pm

Thank you.

13. Renee
    August 31, 2015 at 3:29 pm

Just the plain irony of having a cultural Columbus like Miley as the one having the audacity to try to clap back at Nicki and talking about race issues made my head explode. She doesn’t see the problems that exist because SHE IS PART OF THE PROBLEM.

Billy Ray, you better come get your daughter before she gets snatched up.

14. August 31, 2015 at 3:36 pm

*taps mic*
    *takes deep breath*

FUCK Miley Cyrus.

.l. (●_●) .l.

That is all.

15. Shar
    August 31, 2015 at 3:40 pm

I didn’t watch it either Luvvie, but I gotta ride out with my girl Nicki too….Miley is a rednecked hillbilly slut bucket that middle America loves and Nicki can’t get a break for speaking her mind #chilebye #gtfohwtbsMiley

16. Dziko
    August 31, 2015 at 4:07 pm

I’m here for anything that’ll get Miley Cyrus tf outta here.

17. Lola
    August 31, 2015 at 4:28 pm

“Both unsolicited critiques reveal something more menacing for not just Nicki, but women of color. Black women are often made to be silent about the standards they’re excluded from and when they do speak, they are considered aggressive. But Cyrus’ comment does something more — it suggests that for Black people to talk about race and be validated in their justifiable frustration, we must be polite.”

18. TheRYL1
    August 31, 2015 at 4:45 pm

I’m here for it all!

My white woman boss tried to tell me to be nicer to these rude as folk. Someone told her I was “short” with them. Now, you know it was a white woman, right? (For the record: My problems are always with OTHER women. I guess I don’t bow and scrape to some folks’ liking.)

I told her she would never know what is said to me because it would never happen in front of her, or to her. From the look on her face, I knew she never considered such. ***eye roll***

Had me hot…the nice little negra has to learn to be nice to the Miss Anns of the work place. NOT! You get what you give!

19. notconvincedgranny
    August 31, 2015 at 4:51 pm

I still say it was a setup, but naw, Nikki didn’t need to respond at all. Since when do we talk to roaches?

20. prettydarkskinnedgirl
    August 31, 2015 at 5:35 pm

I’m just gonna gone and say it: Onika let the n*gga out on national television and in the presence of large numbers of white folks and now they butthurt over it. I got my entire life off that ONE look and how it looked like she was inclined to go upside Miley’s head with that trophy! Not all Black women will (or can) go there but when you get one that will and can, #don’tpanic!
    Don’t come for Onika when she did not send for you!
    #Mileywhat’sgood?

21. cori
    August 31, 2015 at 5:45 pm

See that is why I am destined for prison Cuz I RELISH being that angry black girl when people got shyt to say about me…I go all the way off on these fools and let their scary, intimidated asses have it…IDC if u scurred..if u don’t wanna get stung don’t tap on the hive..ijs..they always wanna run off at the mouf til shyt gets real and that’s what happened last night she wanna pull on her tail and then run when she boutta bite…she ran too slow..ijs..and the freaking mammy shyte took me all the way outta my hookup last night

22. Chaveevah Cheryl Banks Ferguson
    August 31, 2015 at 6:59 pm

When is Miley’s 15 minutes gonna run out? I remain hopeful that it’s down to the last few seconds, because I cannot STAND seeing her moosh-faced, buck-teef-ded, skinny-flabby, stiff, MINIMALLY-talented, Alfalfa-from-little-rascals-looking ass keep receiving the kind of shine that was never intended for lesser beings such as her…someone needs to take the entire staff from Mickey Mouse Club, line them up, blindfold them, and flog them within an inch of life with a wet towel until they STOP cranking out fugly, no-talent, culture-appropriating white children who think there was no such thing as “soul” until they came along…okay, rant over

23. chyra
    August 31, 2015 at 8:09 pm

I agree with being sick and tired of being sick and tired of the I have to be meek and not speak my mind. I also feel that we are giving Nicki a pass because she pulled the race card on this one. If she was for the cause she would have cared about other issues. We are making her the OJ Simpson of this generation. We know she is bitching but we are choosing to support her because of the greater injustice.

24. CourtneyH
    August 31, 2015 at 8:22 pm

First, I must say that I wasn’t feeling Nicki’s original beef with MTV considering that Beyonce and Taylor were nominated. However, none of that matters because it didn’t involve Miley. Miley didn’t have to insert herself into an already closed issue. She just didn’t. She stepped in it, got buck with it by making personal comments about Nicki…so she should have expected a response. Miley made it personal in an interview, Nicki responded by making it personal to her face. I’m teamNicki in this one.

25. August 31, 2015 at 9:17 pm

I couldn’t agree with you more. Miley is a privileged icky person who gets away with murder because she is the spawn of Mr. Achy Breaky. Nicki had every right to set a clear boundary- “Step off, Hillbilly!”

26. Damiob
    September 1, 2015 at 12:58 am

Nikki is ghetto chick with a bad attitude the only reason she got the award is because she threw a tantrum in the first place.She is always fucking with people so when someone says something about her now there’s an issue.She gonna end up fucking up her career over bullshit.

27. September 1, 2015 at 5:32 am

Lmao.. reading your comments made me forget what I was gonna say.

28. Marley
    September 1, 2015 at 9:35 am

Both are no talent hacks who got famous and now we have to deal with this carp. I’d only care if 2 serious and TALENTED musicians went at it. I’m including Taylor Swift here too.

29. circa1908
    September 1, 2015 at 11:25 am

You hit the nail right on the head in one of your tweets. Once a black woman (or a HOT ATTITUDE LATINA) doesn’t say it nicely or flowery. WE are considered a threat.

We aren’t allowed to be upset, angry, mad about a transgression or disrespect. We are expected to take it and smile and even thank Miley for pointing out just how wrong we are for being offended. I certainly am not here for that. And to those of us that are all “mmm chile Nikki wrong for that.” No, she isnt. I will not sit here and even cater to that.

Again, I am not a Nikki fan, but I am #teamNikki on this one.

30. circa1908
    September 1, 2015 at 11:27 am

So eloquently put by a friend of mine as we talked about the respectability politics of this issue, this was his reply to me

“more than anything and, objectionable behaviors aside, Nicki was walking in her truth and advocating for herself in that moment. And she was doing so boldly inasmuch as she clearly does not, will not, and cannot enjoy power and privilege in the way(s) Miley has and will continue to. If anything, the freeness with which Miley engages in unabashed cultural misappropriation without mainstream rebuke is only evidence of that power and actually makes HER the more consistent bully.

31. Shay
    September 1, 2015 at 6:18 pm

We’ll never have an open dialogue and understanding among races if when the other speaks, we tell them “Be quiet because you don’t understand.” Let them try and have a damn opinion. Geesh! Im talking black and white. Miley was asked a question and gave her opinion and she didn’t say anything different than what I felt since Nicki went on her Twitter rant. Don’t take an issue like black women being respected and noticed in the media and flip it into a personal battle for your Anaconda video, which wasn’t a ground breaking video for black women or women in general, in the first place. Miley was right in saying Nick pissed folks off by making it about her instead of the issue at hand. Then Miley let her know about herself again when she told her she’ll live even though she didn’t win that pointless ass award. Bottom line for me, we have to stop excusing ignorant people and their selfish statements just because their black and it goes with black folks emotions right now. Luvvie know any other day she would have not defended Nicki on how she acted, from the Twitter rant down to her stunt at the VMAs. I guess when folks are mad at white people and the issues we are facing, logic doesn’t come into play completely. I just wish we would stop telling the other side to be quiet and encourage them to speak on wrongs, rights, and the in-betweens.

32. Muñeca
    September 1, 2015 at 6:52 pm

I respect the author for voicing her opinion. This is her website so she can say what she damn well pleases but as a person of multicultural heritage it saddens me to see finger pointing. I have heard everything, been called everything from 3 different ethnicities. We all struggle with problems. To just point the finger and blame one another fixes nothing. Honestly both of them are obnoxious and nobody to look up to. Miley cyrus is not the voice for white women. Nicki minaj is not the voice for black women.

33. […] is an annual petri dish of nonsense, the VMAs can serve as a diorama of our contemporary moment. Both Nicki Minaj and Miley Cyrus embody problematic representations, however, Cyrus took it upon herself to tone police Minaj in […]

34. AG
    September 4, 2015 at 11:26 am

Rebel Wilson’s reaction was the best, like “ooohhh, it’s about to get real!”

35. September 5, 2015 at 7:32 pm

You broke it all the way down. I never thought of all that the way you just broke it! Great points all up & down! *Claps in slow motion*

36. ブランドスーパーコピーバッグ、財布、靴、時計ブランド偽物、偽物ブランド、ルイヴィトンコピー、 ロレックスコピー、シャネルコピー、グッチコピー、エルメスコピー、 ボッテガ?ヴェネタコピー、 バーバリーコピー、ミュウミュウコピー、トリーバーチコピー、バレンシアガコピー、ディオールコピー、ブルガリコピー、ブラダコピー、 ドルチェ&ガッバーナコピー、オメガコピー、フランク ミュラーコピー、gagaコピー。2015ヴィトン最新逸品 腕時計 休閑気質 ヴィトン 腕時計 独特魅力 腕時計
    エルメス ボリードスーパーコピー.ブランド直営店.ブランド,エルメス激安通販,業界で最高な品質に挑戦します!”ブランドN級品ブランドコピー 代引き,スーパーコピー時計,ブランドN級品,楽天コピーブランド,,偽物ブラン日本最大級の最高のスーパーコピーブランド財布激安代引き販売店,スーパーコピー時計の激安老舗.!国内No.1時計コピー工房,アフターサービスも自ら製造したスーパーコピー時計なので、技術力でお客様に安心のサポー トをご提供させて頂きます。スーパーコピー 代引きN品をご 購入の方は、こちらへ.弊社は正規品と同等品質のコピー品を低価で お客様に提供します!すべての商品は品質2年無料保証です。100%実物写真ですし、品質が完璧です!”スーパーコピーブランド財布激安 偽物財布激安コピー ルイヴィトン財布偽物,偽物財布コピー http://www.okakaku.com/brand-9-copy-0.html