Famous folksLetter

Dear Chrisette Michele, So You’re Performing at the Inauguration

I know many of you saw this headline and wondered who Chrisette Michele is. She’s an R&B singer and I don’t blame you for not knowing who she is. In the celebrity totem pole, she’s nowhere near the top. It’s not your fault.

But you might have seen her name trending in the last 2 days on social media. That’s because it was announced that she is performing at Dreamsicle Demon’s inauguration festivities. As a Black woman, Chrisette is more than hustling backwards, so I’m writing her this sternly-worded letter because I need her to know she needs to do better. Because right now, what I don’t have time for is ANYBODY who will put any type of stamp of approval on Habanero Hitler and his assemblage of abhorrent asshats he calls an administration. (read: A Handy Guide to Disrespecting Cheeto Satan)

Dear Chrisette Michele,

Sis, what are you doing?

what the fuck cat gif

Seriously. It’s like you don’t wanna win. You’ve been on team bad decisions for a while but I’ve just sat back and watched because I was rooting for you. You’re a talented singer but you don’t seem to know whether you’re going or coming.

A few years back, you decided to start teaching social media classes, and I scratched my head wondering why you were so out of your lane, you were on the shoulder of the road. You don’t see ME tryna teach folks how to hit high notes. Then you are attempting to become a blogger with a website called RichHipster.biz. I even tried not laugh about the fact that you were serious about a site that uses the .biz extension, as if .co was busy. The way my domain bougie is set up, I wanted to pull you to the side and tell you to stahp it but I don’t know you. We ain’t brunched together yet.

One thing I felt from afar is your restlessness. You don’t know who you are and you aren’t driven by defined core values. Why? Cuz you just do whatever makes you money, even if it makes no sense in the long run. Plus, you never look the same twice. And not in the Lady Gaga “switch up my look all the time because I’m eclectic way.” But in that “I’m gonna try out EVERYTHING because I need to figure out what works but it’s been 10 years and I still haven’t figured it out” way.

Did a Google Images search to grab a picture of her but noticed how it looks like 12 different people. Not 1 person trying different looks. This is what I mean by restless. It shows up on the outside when we ain’t settled on the inside. Gorgeous woman, doe.

It pays to know who you are.

Which is why I was not shocked when it dropped that you’d be singing at the inauguration of Candy Corn Kremlin. Everyone who was asked, and had sense, said no. They said no to being a part of the court jesters trotted out to celebrate the crowning of the emperor with no clothes. Folks declined to participate in the praise party of the pilfering potentate. Not you, though. You said yes. You accepted the chance to be a clown in the crook circus. BHET WHY. Madame, whyyyyyy? Because nothing told you that this was not for you.

And then you hid the fact cuz you knew you were flagrant for it. You knew you were being Benedict Arnold AF. You knew you were being bottom barrel. So you let the rumor fly without confirming for a whole day. You knew we’d come for your edges like we did for Jennifer Holliday until she canceled. Maybe you spent the last day applying Jamaican black Castor oil.

What are you doing, Chrisette?? You are a Black woman, which puts you firmly in the demographic of people that Orange Mugabe gives NO DAMBS about. If you were on fire, he wouldn’t only NOT put you out, he’d make a reality TV show out of watching you burn. When you dropped your albums and they went paper plate and cotton ball (not gold or platinum), the five people who bought them were Black women (and maybe some gays). Those are the people who you want to continue to cultivate.

White folks probably think you’re two people. They don’t know who you are! When you were trending on social, they probably asked “Who is Chrisette and who is Michele?” The people you’ll be performing for at the inauguration won’t buy your shit afterwards so it’s not like you can lie to us that this is to further your career. They aren’t coming to the concerts you have at half empty nightclubs. And they certainly won’t join your fandom or be your evangelists. They ain’t coming to see you, Chris!

How good is the money you’re being paid for this gig? It better be bags of money cuz IF you’re doing this and you’re not even getting paid well, that adds insult to injury. And I hope you get these coins you’re promised. We all know Salmon Voldemort is good for not paying folks their coins. Him and his Net30year agreements. I hope you’re ready to file a PayPal claim when 2017 ends and you still ain’t got your check yet.

You KNEWWWW you weren’t on the right side when you said yes. Because you hid it from us and then this morning, dropped an “open letter” on us.

BRUH!!! You finally say something and it’s a raggedy letter in baby voice cutesy turquoise font. Which makes me really not take you serious. Your letter is an exercise in not knowing when to shut the whole fuck up. Spent all those words not saying a gahtdamb thing. I’m actually impressed how little can be said with so much word count. Talmbout you’re representing us and building a bridge. You don’t represent me and you squalling as clueless Jimmy Bobs and Lula Maes stare at you blank staring is building no bridges.

But what really grinds my gears is that you trot out an MLK quote to justify your foolishness. I am so sick of cowards using Martin as a the Patron Saint of Kumbaya Fuckshit. Having the nerve to talk about silence isn’t fighting. Send out some anti-Donald tweets or something. You hitting notes in a mic at his inauguration is not speaking up. Well it is, but what you’re saying is that you are willing to stand WITH demagogue at a price. That ain’t what Martin would approve.

I could say you’re cancelled and that I won’t be supporting you but seeing as how I already wasn’t one of the 15 people who listened to your music, that wouldn’t make a difference. But you might lose those 7 people who love your music now. I hope it’s worth it. Spike Lee already said he ain’t using your music in the NetFlix series She’s Gotta Have It.

played yourself khaled gif

Again, I hope these short term coins you’re getting will make up for the long-term Ls you’re taking for being short-sighted about the long con you’re participating in.

XOXO,

Luvvie

P.S. The Council of Onyx People Everywhere (COPE) had an emergency meeting and we unanimously voted to revoke your #BLAXIT passport. Please drop it off at the Black House no later than 10am ET on January 20. Kthxbai.

Have you bought my debut book I’M JUDGING YOU: The Do-Better Manual. Haven’t ordered it yet? Now’s your chance. You’ll love it. Amazon. Barnes & Nobles. iBooks. Audible (I narrated the audiobook myself). Kobo. Books-A-Million.

A Handy Guide to Disrespecting Cheeto Satan From Inauguration and Beyond

I Got Questions About The New Edition Story That Kicked Off Last Night on BET

1. ZaidahNicole
    January 19, 2017 at 3:39 pm

In THAT order!

• Penny
      January 20, 2017 at 8:45 am

Hope she enjoys that $750k she will get paid for singing there. She is saying: “f*ck y’all. Y’all aren’t supporting my cds anyway so you ppl who are not helping me make money from album sales are dead to me anyway.”

• S
        January 20, 2017 at 1:20 pm

I agree! You don’t support her so she shouldn’t try something else or eat for that matter! Smh. She has bills like the next person. Buy her music or sit down.

• notconvincedgranny
          January 20, 2017 at 3:01 pm

There has to be something you won’t do for money. I’d have more respect for her if she threw her thighs open for $1 than do this; that would pay the bills, too. But you better stop shaking your damn head and get to work so you have enough pennies to buy up ALL her music. Because like you said, she has bills like the next person. Ante up or sit down.

• GC
        January 20, 2017 at 5:09 pm

All money ain’t good money. Some things are as simple as black and white. There’s no grey area about a black woman singing at a white man’s coronation who declared “Law and Order” on your own people and their communities. There’s no grey area about a woman celebrating a man who admitted to openly grabbing females “in the pu**y.” So Chrisette Michele wasn’t offended or doesn’t have a female relative? Trying to justify a lack of principles like you’re doing right now is equally as ignorant. Have several seats.

• January 20, 2017 at 10:51 pm

Well said GC….agree on all of it…there are other ways to hustle without insulting your integrity.

• Tina
        January 21, 2017 at 9:33 pm

She only got 250K,but it was her choice.

• tami
          January 31, 2017 at 10:43 am

I loved this article…I have mixed feelings about Chrisette performing. I think maybe she really needed the money & maybe just doesn’t view things the way a lot of folks do. I was watching special Van Jones did on why people voted for Donald when he is so outwardly racist & a lot of folks just said that they ignored the racist comments & focused on the part where he said he would get America back to working again. Economics is real.

• Jojo
        January 22, 2017 at 1:09 pm

This bitch will not be paid in a timely manner if at all. I will never buy or download any of Chrisette Michelle’s music. What a sell out

2. Kierah
    January 19, 2017 at 3:42 pm

All she had before was the chitlin circuit. Now all she’ll have is dust – Cheeto dust.
    It’s sad with people commit career suicide. I actually liked her voice.

• January 20, 2017 at 8:14 am

And you KNOW how hard it is to get that Cheeto dust off. That shit requires Chlorox wipes and a wire brush.

• Vanity1326
        January 30, 2017 at 12:15 pm

LMAO culchiewoman, I agree with you 100%. Too hilarious!!!

3. Dawn Adams
    January 19, 2017 at 3:47 pm

OMG the cat…LMAO!!

4. Sarah
    January 19, 2017 at 3:51 pm

I am one of the 5 black women who owns a Chrisette album. I wanted her to win so bad. But she done traded her golden ticket for a Burger King crown. Bless up.

So let it be written, so let it be done. Signed by Order of the Council of Onyx People Everywhere.

• Shaquane
      January 19, 2017 at 4:09 pm

Lmao @ Burger king crown.

I was actually a fan of hers. *deletes all music

• Buks
      January 19, 2017 at 4:59 pm

SIGH. So was I. I remember the day I discovered her and then proceeded to put all my girls on her. Never regretted a decision like that until now. Damn shame what they did to that poor girl.

• TaRhonda
      January 20, 2017 at 7:28 am

Me too 🙅🏾

• Tray
      January 20, 2017 at 2:06 pm

OMG! Yessss the Burger King crown!!! I don’t own her album, but I love her music and wanted her to win to, but she so played herself with this move. Her singing isn’t building any bridge.

• Tray
        January 20, 2017 at 2:11 pm

I meant win too not to…

• Kierah
      January 27, 2017 at 11:40 am

No lies told, that Epiphany CD of hers was pure fyah!
      Didn’t we almost have it all, Chrisette?

5. Ebony Read
    January 19, 2017 at 3:54 pm

I understand if you don’t support her decision to perform in the inauguration but keep her talent and style out of it. You are right about white people not knowing who she is but you know just as good as I do that black folks know her. So chill with the 15 fans crap. I been to 2 shows of hers and they were SOLD OUT. If a white person said HALF the stuff you just typed you would be posting all their information trying to get all of black twitter to snatch them. Again, it’s your prerogative if you don’t agree with her decision to perform but now you are going into bullying territory/ promoting bullying.

• NETTI
      January 19, 2017 at 4:13 pm

I’ve been to one of her shows…and I want my two hours and coins back. I have never been to such a lackluster performance in my life…and I’m a teacher (I have to clap through terrible kid stuff alldadamntime). Her lack of care with her production was abhorrent. Like, really…I have never seen a crowd so underwhelmed and pissed. So naw, Luvvie’s bout right. She doesnt owe her any niceties. She’s is a critic of culture. Chrisette’s resume aint on nothin’ like she said. And I’m more mad Luvvie aint call her out for Faux- neo soul bullshit.

• Tamica
      January 19, 2017 at 4:15 pm

I own cds,have been to every concert for at least the last 5 years in Chicago from the Shrine to the Portage Theater…I was a big fan

• QUETTA
      January 19, 2017 at 7:11 pm

I’ve been a little out of the R&B loop, but I’m a fan. I saw her live a few years back and she was GREAT. I wasn’t aware that her fan base had dwindled or that she had become lackluster. Oh well—

• Dar
      January 19, 2017 at 7:45 pm

Sorry Ebony but the truth is she ain’t no Bey and just because she had two sold out concerts does not a star make. She chose to disrespect everything about women and black folks so everything she is goes on the table.

January 20, 2017 at 12:41 am

Ebony I SO agree with you! This totally borderlines on Bullying! Not a DJT supporter, but I certainly ain’t a supporter of bullying either! If it is true, that she is an unknown artist then let her make her coins. I heard she will be making the tune of $750,000. Soooo….If I am an Unknown artist and THIS may be my ONLY big gig AND my only chance to have a voice (literally) then I’m not sure how many small scale unknown artists would turn down that kind of $ when they are the ones who need it the most! We indeed can judge her talent, but the reality is Only God knows her heart and her TRUE reason for accepting this gig. But hey, you got a bestseller called “I’m judging You” so…I guess I should let you live and judge on 😉

• Shanee
        January 20, 2017 at 4:08 am

Money is wasted on fools. They cannot buy wisdom when they have no sense.
        Proverbs 17:16 ERV

• Mel
        January 20, 2017 at 10:24 am

So basically, your integrity is for sale? It is your right to put it up for sale, doesn’t mean that people have to buy it. Oh and when you do have that integrity sidewalk sale, own it, don’t try and trot out some fake enlightened BS , just say you need the money and sell yourself.

January 20, 2017 at 10:49 am

No one’s integrity should be for sale, nor should anyone be Publicly shamed for being asked to honor the COUNTRY! This aint DJT birthday party (although she has a right to sing for that too) but TODAY is about ONE country and ONE new president. Who is ALL of our presidents whether we like him or not. SHE is choosing to use her gifts to represent Our country and I ain’t gonna put her down for that! Nor do I feel others should either.

• Shawana
      January 20, 2017 at 12:46 am

Very talented but she cannot stand to loose not one fan tbh

• Nicole
      January 20, 2017 at 4:35 am

You said some real shit i love her music and style this girl is being a str8 up bully for some of the things she said the way she talking about her is wrong instead of praying for her she talking shit her ass ain’t no better.

• muyiwa
      January 20, 2017 at 7:24 am

Selling out your local Starbucks doesn’t count.
      (i) It holds 30 people max
      (ii) They were already in line.

• Theresa
      January 20, 2017 at 2:07 pm

I was thinking the same thing. How dare you speak about her in that manner? You are criticizing her for perfoming for a person that you are acting like. I know you were trying to be funny but it just became mean and untrue. I dont care if I dont agree with her choice. She is still our sister ( universally). We dont pull each other down like that.

• Kierah
        January 27, 2017 at 11:47 am

And this is why we pull our sister’s coattail and tell her “You are out of order.”
        I’d tell my sister if her wig was crooked or she done messed up the grits again. Because we are the ones who been showed up for her, she should know our opinions. She decided she didn’t care.

• p
      January 20, 2017 at 8:59 pm

I did not know who she was until this happened, but that made sense, because His Lowness couldn’t get the A listers, and so few of the B listers, that his team had to go for the virtually unknowns.

This is not about her talent. It is about principles and the willingness to Act Rightly. She’s made a bad choice, and sadly, there will be consequences.

6. Shar
    January 19, 2017 at 3:55 pm

This is where I was laid out in Luvvie fashion! “When you dropped your albums and they went paper plate and cotton ball (not gold or platinum)” – The crematorium is now open (cuz I don’t wanna be buried).

7. Audi G.
    January 19, 2017 at 3:55 pm

I agree with this letter, I actually am apart of the 15 people who listen to her music and more I am in disbelief with this decision…. along with HBCU Talladega College marching band who will be marching in the parade and Christian artist Travis Green who has also agreed to perform during the inaugural events. Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy… again they gone have us out here looking like court jesters for entertainment.

• Wendy
      January 20, 2017 at 1:27 pm

Travis Greene is not performing…

• pinkpop
        January 21, 2017 at 12:22 am

He actually performed with chrisette.

8. January 19, 2017 at 3:56 pm

Lawd why do black people gotta be so willing to act a fool to impress the white people that don’t want them?
    I loved Chrisette’s music, “Golden” was going to be my wedding song, but after this I consider it her funeral durge. The fact she used a bright turquoise script in cusrvie shows she has no idea what she is doing, she knew where was typing nonsense so made it difficult to read it. I gave up after the first line, my limited eyesight is too precious to strain on foolishment. I bought her last album and from the first chord, I knew her life was a mess. This whole entire things is filled with discordant trap music, she has turned from soulful to rachet.
    My only question was who called whom? Cause I can’t see any of Tangarine Palpatine’s minions even knowing she ever existed.

• ADawn
      January 19, 2017 at 8:44 pm

This is a Luvvie-level comment right here. Amazing! Please start your own blog!!!!

• January 20, 2017 at 11:16 am

Awwww thank you, that is a compliment I hold dear. I do have a tumblr page Carriecnh12.tumblr.com where I talk about my fave shows and the things in life that baffle, annoy and tickle me darker brown. 😉

• Tray
      January 20, 2017 at 2:13 pm

Good question!

9. Choc
    January 19, 2017 at 3:57 pm

Chrisette, Chrisette, Christette… You can sing whenever, wherever, whatever you want to, but honey please don’t try to get me to believe it’s for some greater good. And no you are NOT representing ME. So please miss me with that bull____. Make your money and leave US out of it!

P.S. I hope he doesn’t grab your p____.

• Teddy
      January 19, 2017 at 7:35 pm

I literally cried after this comment! Hilarious!

• CYA
      January 20, 2017 at 2:15 pm

Girl. On the dang on floor. Maybe she hopes he does grab her by the P…

• A(ngry)BW.
      January 20, 2017 at 2:20 pm

Who let the HOTEPS in???

10. January 19, 2017 at 3:57 pm

Naw Chrisettee, girl we gonna come and pick up your card cause…damn smh. ” they went paper plate and cotton ball” did they go that far cause I thought they went lint. Just trying to make sure.

Now Luvvie, the cat, yeah Imma need that gif asap cause Imma wear it out over the coming days LOL

11. Suebhoney1
    January 19, 2017 at 3:57 pm

I am fan #4. As Jay-Z said in the rap that she sung the hook on: ” You lost one” ( well more than one, but you get it.) The AA delegation is also looking into trades- We’re looking at Alec Baldwin. Dumb girl, now I have to take her songs out of rotation on my Spotify ( and Epiphany was my JAM!). Girl Bye! And burn that bridge while you’re crossing it, cause we don’t want you back.

12. Ms Kim
    January 19, 2017 at 3:58 pm

Word on the street is she’ll get about $750,000. I guess she needs to pay for all of her costume changes in life.

• Shelly
      January 19, 2017 at 8:21 pm

She ain’t getting that money. He don’t pay his bills.

13. Tanya
    January 19, 2017 at 4:01 pm

Luvvie–that was a Maxine Waters, Next Level Wonder Woman “read”. Thank you for remanding her BLAXIT PASS! May ole Donnie Boy will rent her a room in Trump Towers when the BLAXIT commences. Why did I log onto this mess of a blog Chrissy Poo created, just because i was curious. I know 6th graders whose IG account have more developed posts than what exist on her blog. It appears that may 10 people follow it. Rich Hipster University? I’m done!

14. MissThg
    January 19, 2017 at 4:02 pm

Our COPE President has spoken. Nothing else to say. Enjoy your day.

15. Milaxx
    January 19, 2017 at 4:10 pm

She gon’ Stacy Dash her way out of what little career she had. As for paychecks, she better get in line behind AC, the piano guy and whoever does Tiffany & Marla Maples hair. They ain’t getting paid either.

16. Twilla Amin
    January 19, 2017 at 4:16 pm

Where do we drop off our CD’s (yes I’ve been supporting that long)? I wanted her to win but the way my tolerance is set up, I can’t

• Coco Kipi
      January 19, 2017 at 5:08 pm

Can we take her old album? She was already pushing it with the Love Jones play. But epiphany was my joint. Got me thru college, my final year. I say we take the albums when we go take her card. Wait nevermind I bootlegged them. Continue

• Disappointment
      January 19, 2017 at 7:16 pm

Drop them off at the nearest Trump Tower since that will be her new home….smdh….

17. MrsMe2017
    January 19, 2017 at 4:17 pm

I am one of the 5 who purchased her album way back in the day. And I liked it. But something about her has always…*ponders that I am trying to be a better person in 2017*…has always perplexed me. *good answer, good answer* If you don’t know you’re being played by Trump, then Wow. Just WOW. He has plenty money. So he just sits and says which black person would be dumb enough to come sing so I can look like I am trying to be diverse, but we all know I am not. $750K is nothing to him. He’ll just pay himself back from the American people or by NOT paying people. Either way, it’s recouped, it’s not a loss to him. But it is certainly your loss. Standing and singing to a crowd who despises the fact you exist seems painful to me. I know you’re trying to keep some coins. I get it. But, you need to do better. You can sing. You’re actually talented. Use it. Me personally, I can’t eff with you going forward. But hopefully, YOU can eff with you because *in my Kevin Hart voice* it’s about to go DOWN and by it’s I mean you. *again ponders that I am trying to be a better person in 2017* Be blessed and I like your hair better short! Adios.

• DSGlobal
      January 19, 2017 at 11:16 pm

Damn. You just said it right here:

“Standing and singing to a crowd who despises the fact you exist seems painful to me.”

Sad.

• DSNYC
      January 19, 2017 at 11:24 pm

You know on one end, out of everyone who is critiquing?

– Where were y’all when she had to pay a light bill?
      – Where were y’all when she maybe nearly lost her house?
      – Where were y’all when she had some significant pressure in life she couldn’t pay for with those 5 CD sales?

I think this is wack AF. But I also feel sad for her more than anything. This is a woman who obviously needed the check. Badly. She apparently tried all kinds of random things to make a coin. None of it quite worked, apparently. And now she’s trying this — singing to an audience that largely doesn’t even respect her or her people.

For money.
      To survive (I must imagine).

I don’t know the right solution for her, in real life. I know it’s easy to sit at your computer and critique a person for making a business move when you damn sure weren’t paying them either. I never paid a Chrisette Michele bill. I never called up Sprint on her behalf. I never even bought an album. I don’t know what her life is like.

I know I’m going to pray for this woman. If someone in (or allied with) the Black community is truly about that life and the funds come easy enough to you, please do pay this woman to simply not perform. People pay people off far far lesser offenses all the time.

Otherwise, ‘critique’ about what any adult needs to do to pay their bills, while principled — unless you were truly there with them, about that life and holding them down — can fall on deaf ears.

January 20, 2017 at 12:52 am

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!! To Everything DSNYC just said! We are NOT there! And if people TRULY care about her soul, her life then I agree pay her $750,000 to perform at the Anti-DJT rally which I believe there is one. I’m not sayin folks should do Anything for $ , but what I AM saying is that at some point soon, we ALL as Americans need to realize that DJT IS the president! Like him or not and we can either be part of the solution/be a bridge of Love OR just sip on Lemonade talkin bout/bullying folks who choose to accept this…..

• Nakiah
        January 20, 2017 at 3:21 am

QuestLove of the Roots did offer to pay her not to perform. As far as I know she didn’t respond.

• LAWRENCE
        January 20, 2017 at 4:27 am

I FEEL your take on this, and it’s valid. Sometimes we HAVE to Do what we HAVE to DO, to survive and exist! But at what price? If you fail to SEE that the PRICE you’d HAVE to PAY is TOO great and FACTORS taken into account don’t add up, FIND ANOTHER WAY THAT’LL BE BETTER! She’s part of the collective on many fronts being black, a black entertainer and she’s a woman, ALL reasons to NOT ASSOCIATE or be associated to THIS PRESIDENT and his administration! She was about to get paid according to Spike Lee, but she didn’t KNOW that! She just saw a big payday and has ultimately chosen to LIVE WITH THE OUTCOME. This fallout and disbelief from fans and communities is her EARNED OUTCOME. She just forgot or didn’t think that THIS CHOICE could last a HELL OF A LOT LONGER than her set and the $750,000 she’s getting paid.

• CP
          January 21, 2017 at 10:00 pm

Preach!! I totally agree with you. This one action will now be her legacy.

• Isonprize
        January 20, 2017 at 7:09 am

QuestLove offered to pay her. For real, he did.

January 20, 2017 at 8:08 am

OK, Welll if folks actually offered to pay her then that leads me to believe she did NOT just take it for the$$. And when folks say she is “paying the price”, I wonder what price? I never even heard of this woman until this happened. And according to this blog ONLY five other folks heard of her soooo…what does this basically Unknown artist have to lose,… The fans she did NOT already have? If anything, THIS puts her on the map and the last I checked JUST because folks are calling you a sellout don’t make that opinion valid right? As I said in a previous comment only God knows her heart, and why she said yes, when so many others said no…

• Alexis11206
        January 20, 2017 at 12:43 pm

The Roots’ drummer Questlove tweeted that he would pay Michele’s appearance fee if she opted not to perform. So no….it’s not because she needs the money…as least not that she’s letting on. At this point she is freely deciding to perform. SMDH

• DSNYC
          January 20, 2017 at 4:10 pm

Right, I heard that he sent a tweet. How cute.

But since when are we — sensible, intelligent people — short-sighted enough to think a “tweet” is the same thing as a cleared CHECK? As a credible business offer?

Now you know Questlove has been around for longggggg enough to, if he were even remotely serious, be about that life and not just be about them tweets.

Should anyone be unclear here, in my view and lived experience, THIS is what it means to BE. 👏 ABOUT. 👏 THAT. 👏 LIFE (per Questlove’s ‘offer’):

1. Contact Ms. Michele – crazy easy to do.

2. Cut that check. $750,000.

3. Same-day express mail that signed and cleared check to Madame Michele, UPFRONT, with a legal tender and contract attached making very clear that Ms. Michele is free to keep the check in exchange for her written and legally binding agreement to NOT perform at DJT’s event.

4. By depositing her check and signing the contract, Ms. Michele agrees to these terms. Said legal contract would clearly and plainly outline how Ms. Michele realizes that she can be held liable for some amount in multiple excess of the check (i.e., $750,000 x 5 + damages) if she were to try to knowingly violate this agreement in any way.

5. Give her a deadline by which to reply, have your people follow up with her people DIRECTLY. (again, not difficult)

6. Call this “offer” a day!

Ayo. He aint do all that, as far as I know. So all of you thinking a “tweet” is a financial offer, lol, say what? #WhereTheyDoThatAt? lol.

As a business owner, I know full well aint nobody’s “tweet” equating to money in my bank. Which bill am I paying w/ your tweet?!

I couldn’t even tell if he was serious.

Not to mention, I don’t even know if QuestLove HAS $750,000 to “give” to someone like that, to be really super duper honest. Neither does anyone on this thread unless you are his accountant. That’s a lot of money to “GIVE” someone just to NOT do something you don’t like.

Hence me using the phrase, “IF they are really about that life — and the funds come EASY enough to you.”

And that’s my entire point, here. I’m not saying this was the “right” thing to do by any means whatsoever, and def not even saying I would do it. Personally, I have a history of operating w/ powerful principles and a deep understanding that the Divine has my back. I would not feel so distrusting or uncreative to think I had to do this just to survive.

But I am not in HER life. Never walked a damn day in her shoes. None of us have. I don’t know her private shames, unique anxieties, risks, threats or pressures. I don’t know what she has to go through even just to wake up and keep a damn smile on her face every single day. Damn sure have not paid ANY of HER bills.

As I said, I’m keepin’ it real: I never even got an ALBUM! NOT EVEN A 99 CENT SINGLE FOLKSSSSS. I doubt I’m the only one w/ that profile on this thread.

So unless I — or you — are about 👏 that 👏 life 👏 and holding a person down in the scariest or most vulnerable moments of their life, on what grounds are we here to talk about what they “should” be doing to survive? LIKE BISH WERE YOU THERE??? lmao. #SoSerious

Before we find it so easy to tear another person apart, how about some people use that energy to truly BUILD UP — and BE about that life?

Exhibit A: even if a person were TOTALLY broke, or even had just a basic temp job just barely getting by, but you were truly so concerned, you could use that same damn energy and creativity to tweet some very affluent, like-minded celebs and ask that they all COLLABORATE to PAY this woman to NOT perform. Or to PERFORM at a totally diff, more progressive event that you and friends would happily attend. You could create a whole viral campaign based on this – and many more, other – idea/s even if you have ZERO coins of your own. Not to mention a totally diff idea: if you actually HAVE some coins of your own to get started, and were able to recruit some of your very own moneyed friends to sway this performance otherwise? I mean f’real f’real? If YOU REALLY bout that life???

But yooooooooo, y’all don’t even hear me, making all this gattdamn sense on this thread right now, lol.

And of course people DIDN’T do that (last I saw).

Which is why Ms. Michele took that check. It’s because people often don’t REALLY care as much as they claim they do. And that’s gonna have to stop NOW. Now, more than ever, creating the world we all wish to see has to be better and wiser than silly bullying or giving short-sighted advice.

I end this all by saying: if you’re about that life? Then peacefully ***ORGANIZE***, think creatively and productively, and/or CUT. THAT. CHECK.

#DSNYCOut

January 23, 2017 at 9:31 am

DSNYC,..HA! I Hear ya 🙂 I hear and support everything You just said! If you can’t spend your time, energy and money to help build another sister up then you should not Waste your time/influence to tear her down!

• Just me
          January 21, 2017 at 6:18 am

Did Quest even realize how much it was? That’s a quarter of a million dollars. He probably backed out. This blog is bullying. It’s typical “nigga-rescue” type bullying. And I think it went too far just to get laughs. Smh

• Ve
            January 21, 2017 at 7:14 am

Three-quarters of a million, at that! I feel for her, honestly. This performance may have ruined her career, but what career did she really have before? $750,000 is more money than she would have made all year, never mind in one performance.

• Linda
      January 20, 2017 at 7:46 am

Sadly, this may not end well for her career. At least with black support. Considering the National Endowment for the Arts is one of the first things on the chopping block with this administration, you probably won’t see too many artists at those Kennedy Center gigs in the future either. RIP arts in America.

January 20, 2017 at 8:10 am

What career? If you been on the scene for FIVE years or more and Only FIVE folks have yo album can we really say she has a career? Come on now…. REALLY?

18. PamD
    January 19, 2017 at 4:23 pm

Epic! Saving for future reference.

19. YvMarie
    January 19, 2017 at 4:46 pm

“Paper plate and cotton ball”. 😂😂😂. Damn these onions!
    I haven’t eaten Cheetos since you started calling him that. I’m not about to let you ruin candy corn for me! I’m gonna pretend you never named him that and continue to call him Cheeto Satan. Thank you.

20. Stacy
    January 19, 2017 at 4:57 pm

Luvvie took “reading is fundamental” to another level! In the words of RuPaul “Library is open!”

21. CKE
    January 19, 2017 at 5:00 pm

Hollering at the album going “paper plate and cotton ball????” YOOOOOO, I’m am so weak right now! Yeah, Chrisette, basically A-L-L of what Luvvie said times a gazillion!

22. Kerith
    January 19, 2017 at 5:04 pm

I wish Christte would pee and go in her bed.

23. Lou
    January 19, 2017 at 5:32 pm

Oh man, I am a white lady that stanned hard for Chrisette when Epiphany came out. God, i loved (still love) that album. And then she started to fall off and I wasn’t into her newer stuff as much as I tried to be. But I stayed with Epiphany (my dusty tumblr has the receipts.) Anyway, I didn’t even recognize her in that pic up there and I am so bummed she’s doing this. The audience she’ll be performing for is not now nor will ever be the audience that would have actually paid to hear her. You missed everyone with this, Chrissy. -__-

24. Rachel B Northrup
    January 19, 2017 at 5:32 pm

I’m curious, why is it we bash her for being a bridge as she puts it? It seems like only yesterday we were praying to be participants but when it does not line up with the consensus they are traders?
    This may be a blessing for us, I think we should really think about a grown woman choice

• Ewunike
      January 19, 2017 at 7:34 pm

Who was praying & what were “we” trying to be participants of? Also, why exactly would this be a blessing?

• Veronica
        January 19, 2017 at 8:56 pm

Lmao! My fave, bff troll. I was so confused by this comment and asked myself those same questions!

• Ugochi
          January 19, 2017 at 9:20 pm

I was done reading the comment after “traders”..??? I’m guessing she meant “traitors”. 😕

25. Vik
    January 19, 2017 at 5:32 pm

That was such a fun and hilarious read/article. Summed it up perfectly. Loved it!!!

26. Yolanda
    January 19, 2017 at 5:33 pm

*In my Tyra Banks voice*
    WE WERE ROOTING FOR YOU, WE WERE ALL ROOTING FOR YOU!!!

*kicks chair*

27. Flair D
    January 19, 2017 at 5:42 pm

I can’t imagine she’s getting $750K, but Drumpf is desperate at this point

28. Krissy
    January 19, 2017 at 5:48 pm

She could have left her MLK quote out of this lackluster open seafoam green letter

29. January 19, 2017 at 5:55 pm

MA’AM!!! I’ve been feeling that this for YEARS now.

“But what really grinds my gears is that you trot out an MLK quote to justify your foolishness. I am so sick of cowards using Martin as a the Patron Saint of Kumbaya Fuckshit.”

30. Bianca
    January 19, 2017 at 6:05 pm

“I am so sick of cowards using Martin as a the Patron Saint of Kumbaya Fuckshit”

That. Fucking. Part. Right. There.

31. Amanda
    January 19, 2017 at 6:16 pm

We quick to think that she won’t do what Rebecca Ferguson said she would — sing Strange Fruit tear the place down. Sometimes shit gotta burn from the inside out.

I mean, that turquoise cutesy font got me almost certain that this isn’t part of some master plan…but you never know. #teamhope

• Jai
      January 19, 2017 at 7:18 pm

Cheeto McSatanStain will think she is talking about his damn spray tan….le’ sigh…

kicked out for the wrong reason….

32. Casey
    January 19, 2017 at 6:30 pm

DAMN!!

33. Bella
    January 19, 2017 at 6:49 pm

I could careless if she sings “Strange Fruit”. That does seem like a move she would attempt but it will backfire on her. You can’t make a deal with the devil and think you’re going to win.

And her saying she is being a bridge and not being silent??? I’m not being silent either that’s why I plan to participate in a protest tomorrow. And I’m not getting paid for it.

34. Christa
    January 19, 2017 at 6:53 pm

• January 19, 2017 at 8:48 pm

True. She don’t have to like him. Right?

35. Christa
    January 19, 2017 at 6:55 pm

Why are you trying to throw so much shade about her if you liked her music after all you wasn’t a true fan. I will always be a fan of hers no matter. I don’t agree what she’s doing but I will always have her back. I have all six albums and been to two of her concerts. A true fan never leaves. ✌🏾

36. Julia
    January 19, 2017 at 6:56 pm

Harpo, who dis woman?

37. January 19, 2017 at 7:08 pm

A better and classier thing to do would have been to not write this at all about another black woman in these times.

Y’all talking about Chrisette as if she’s not another black woman working for a white man who doesn’t respect her, just like you.

Or will you not be on a network that supports Trump pushing your book?
    Here’s my statement:
    Until you pull all your books from Trump supported book stores, you have to chill.

Nobody is above money.

You’re not taking up a collection for your sister, you’re passing judgement on a decision you didn’t have to make.

Please don’t write another book pandering to the same black woman you’re slandering.

January 20, 2017 at 1:10 am

DO BETTER….PREACH!!!! As IF this is the first Racist man in the White House! P A L E E Z E! IF DJT asked NO person of color to perform the ENTIRE U S A would be up in arms! Soooo.. he goes and asks Several different people and ONE, One basically Unknown (to most) artist says Yes, and she gets talked about like a dog! Really? WOW! I am WITH Women supporting other women NOT tearing them down for their decisions! I say IF she wants to be a bridge Let her! Heck I WILL be a bridge for $750,00 😉 YOU Ms. Luvvie have a Voice YOU have a BIGGER and BETTER Well-Known platform what are YOU doing? Calling him Cheeto Satan Will get Old! It aint gonna bring about “change” or help build bridges. It might make your audience LOL and make you feel good for a minute, but the reality is while you are putting down another sister, (a struggling artist at that) You are doing very little (with your words) to help HER or others as we prepare to live in this country with a new president ….

• Cyn
      January 21, 2017 at 2:34 am

Do Better I completely agree with you as well. This article was alittle over the top. I’m all about supporting one another (black women) and I also agree that this article sounds close to bullying. Not everyone is going to agree with what anyone does in life but to throw sooooo much shade is childish and petty. I’m a fan of Chrisette and love her music. I may not agree with her actions to perform but like someone mentioned above if he never asked African American artist to perform than he would be bashed for that as well. I do agree with a few points made in the article except for all personal attacks on her style, her life choices and music. She has a beautiful voice and she’s undeniably talented. This article is full of a lot of hate and that’s why we can’t get a head. The crabs in the barrel mentality has to stop. It’s so easy to sit back and judge someone when ur personal struggles are hidden from the world just because she a celebrity hers isn’t. No one is perfect and I’m sure we all struggled in life, made bad choices, all while trying to get a handle on our life.
      Judging someone else is easy to do because it takes/distracts all the attention off our own (reality) not so perfect lives. IJS Smh

January 23, 2017 at 9:37 am

Cyn ….YES! Well said!

38. Fatima
    January 19, 2017 at 7:11 pm

What’s your suggestion for her? Because your article read like she stole your boyfriend.

39. L. Monique
    January 19, 2017 at 7:26 pm

Love Chrisette, wouldn’t even watch the show she was on cause I assumed it would make me dislike her…cause I was a Kelly Price fan but now, can’t stand her box shaped ass but I digress…I wanted to see Chrisette win but this shit right here I jus can’t…ion care about her doing it for the ppl (what ppl) she should’ve declined tht orange fuckwad, he isn’t and will never be for us…bleh hate it had to be you boo…bye tho🖕🏾✌🏾….

40. Danielle McGee
    January 19, 2017 at 7:46 pm

Y’all probably forgot about her on Say Yes to the Dress with that awful ass wig though.

• CocoTM
      January 19, 2017 at 11:47 pm

Yes, she was awful on that show! I was over her then.

41. Vee Lewis
    January 19, 2017 at 8:10 pm

I just want my COPE shirt…

42. January 19, 2017 at 8:45 pm

Its business ijs

43. Amber
    January 19, 2017 at 8:46 pm

“Then you are attempting to become a blogger with a website called RichHipster.biz. I even tried not laugh about the fact that you were serious about a site that uses the .biz extension, as if .co was busy. The way my domain bougie is set up,”

GIRL. LUVVIE.

I need you to understand me very clearly when I tell you I. Fucking. HOWLED.

Girl, I been fighting tears all day in between private cries in the bathroom stall over this last day of the Obama White House and this was just what I needed to lift my mood.

44. JayJay
    January 19, 2017 at 8:55 pm

Luvvie, sincerely i am a huge fan and i love you…..but this right here is downright BULLYING.
    She didnt join the slew of people who said “no”…so you take her apart tiny bit by bit from the crown of her hair to her toes, voice, achievements….EVERYTHING?
    This isnt your usual hilarious fun-poking, this is quite vicious, and comes off a tad too personal. As we say in naija; “dis tew much.”
    My honest opinion.

• Fatima
      January 20, 2017 at 1:05 am

Perhaps she speaks for those of us tired of the BS. If you don’t stand for something, you will fall for everything. As a Nigerian myself, I have seen how money and self preservation has disallowed folks from improving themselves.
      People would sell out their family members for a little money, without realizing that when they are all are doing well, everyone prospers.
      Crabs in a barrel. Until we (poc) stand as one, we will never have any power. Any other minority group in this country has, from the Jews, to the Japanese and they have been quite successful. A huge statement would have been made had no person of color artist performed. The people who this president elect very proudly disparaged, Mexican hispanics, the 5 innocent black men (Central Park 5), or the countless blacks his company wouldn’t rent to in the 70s would applaud this writer. Smh. This writer was spot on

January 20, 2017 at 1:23 am

But Fatima, Do you think everyone is “Woke” and knows about how he treated the Central Park 5 or people in the 70’s? I am sure a lot of young starving artists perform at Venues they dislike, JUST to make a living! How is tearing down another artist Unity? How is This standing as one by putting her down and Publicly shaming a person, rather than pulling this sister to the side and educating her on some of his past policies? Maybe she needs the money, should we punish her for the HONOR of being asked to sing at the Largest venue in the nation? Maybe she truly feels like THIS is an act of unifying the country? Should she be punished for that? My question is HOW can we have power when we continue to rip each other to shreds (especially as women), how can we stand as one? Surely you don’t think this piece of writing is an act of “Unity”? But maybe you do….

• Khadijah
        January 20, 2017 at 9:09 am

Perfect post Fatima.

• TiredoftheIgnorance
          January 20, 2017 at 3:12 pm

Perfect reply Michelle.

• Cyn
            January 21, 2017 at 2:38 am

I agree. Michelle response was perfect 👌🏾

45. Salima
    January 19, 2017 at 9:31 pm

Girrrrrllllllllll. Why would she do that? Just sad.

46. Chase
    January 19, 2017 at 9:40 pm

I’m one of the seven that listen to her music and I’m out.

47. NowEyeSee
    January 19, 2017 at 9:44 pm

Who made the potato salad??😂😂😂

48. Penelope Jordan
    January 19, 2017 at 9:48 pm

I am unable to can. She gave us up for Fromage Man. Chrisette, I’m gonna need bleaching cream for my knees after all the praying I’m doing for your lost soul #jesusbeacarowhite

49. stephanie
    January 19, 2017 at 9:55 pm

Chiiiile, this had me cacklin’ and cryin’ at the same time. what in the entire hell is going on? I’m drinking wine all day tomorrow……..

50. Niksmit
    January 19, 2017 at 10:19 pm

I enjoyed selections from her first album, but not the lackluster performance she gave me once during that era. I own Epiphany. However, since then I’ve been waiting for her to get right musically. Then she said stupid things last year. This year she started off ALL wrong, so I don’t know her anymore. I’m just gon pretend she stepped into the shadows never to be heard from again after Epiphany.

51. Corris
    January 19, 2017 at 10:56 pm

Luvvie you are a big disgrace. What you are doing here is bullying. The lady has talent and she has the right to support whoever she wants to support. Her shows always sell out and you damn well know it. I’m so surprised at you. Also the names you are calling Donald Trump are pretty racist since you want to refer to his skin and hair color. You really should stop it. YOU need to do better!

• Amber
      January 20, 2017 at 12:05 am

“Also the names you are calling Donald Trump are pretty racist since you want to refer to his skin and hair color”

In the words of Michael Scott, “This is a white.”

52. Snoop
    January 19, 2017 at 11:21 pm

All I’m saying here is… you get mad when she performs but none of yall were buying her albums. F trump but shoot I’m not mad at her for trying to keep money in her account.

53. Moni
    January 19, 2017 at 11:22 pm

You read the entire FUX outta her! Damn. She gon cry in the car!!!!! Ole shucking and jiving ass. Nobody and I mean NOBODY at that inauguration gonna know her and nobody I mean NOBODY gonna know her after. Real talk. Bye Chrisette 👋🏾

• Really?
      January 20, 2017 at 4:04 pm

And you laugh at your fellow black woman crying in the car after severe bullying. Sounds familiar…:::enter Trump::: #hypocrite

January 23, 2017 at 10:10 am

Yes,… The Hypocrisy and Hatred here, Is Just Painful!

54. Solly's Mom
    January 19, 2017 at 11:36 pm

This is a sad article. Just because someone does something that you do not agree with you discredit their entire career. This is not something to be proud of. You don’t have to support her but you also do not have to try to belittle her accomplishments big or small because of one decision. We can be so judgemental sometimes that we miss the big picture. Let’s just do this time and get through the next four years but don’t let it make us act just as ignorant as those that are supposed to be in charge of the country. The new pres is a major ignorant twad but we do not have to stoop to his level and belittle other black women.

• Just Me
      January 21, 2017 at 6:25 am

I so agree. #RealMatureTalk

55. Joey
    January 20, 2017 at 12:43 am

I’m waiting to see if she’ll be recast in Married But Single Too. Anyone know Ja’Carous? 😂

56. January 20, 2017 at 1:24 am

I am confused, Trump will be the President, that won’t change. So why not try to work with him? I see you tearing down everyone who isn’t pro-your candidate.

We did that in Kenya, post elections violence happened 2007/2008. We are still recovering. You would say ours was tribalistic (Kikuyu vs Luo) but in America race is your tribe.

Call him out on the bad that he does but name calling and bullying everyone associated with him leaves a bitter taste.

What’s the difference between this and hate speech? Just because he does it, does that mean we should give it right back? Obama didn’t, Hillary didn’t so why should you?

57. kirsten
    January 20, 2017 at 1:27 am

Support from this amazing white chick (and another less amazing but also passionate) in Oz. We feel your pain today.

58. Psi
    January 20, 2017 at 2:17 am

Nuff said !

59. Traci
    January 20, 2017 at 4:25 am

I only liked one of her songs & that was “Best of me”. I’ve never cared for her music. Now I see why. I always knew something was strange about that girl when I saw her performing at a wedding (wedding singer) down south in Alabama. STRANGE I SAY! I was like, “Poor thang”! Also, I was invited to see her perform at the casino nightclub in Mississippi but politely declined. I just never cared for her.

60. Tiny
    January 20, 2017 at 4:49 am

Lets start her a Go Fund Me page with a goal of the exact amount that she will never get paid but only if she declines her performance by 10am today. Visit GoFundMe & search: Help Chrisette Michele make the right decision!

61. Me
    January 20, 2017 at 4:52 am

Racism at its finest. Pay attention to FACTS. Even MLK’s OWN granddaughter voted for Trump. So you cannot fault her for making a choice to try to heal a very broken nation. Chris entre Michelle is a billboard top 100 artist. What do you have? A blog? STFU

• Me to you
      January 20, 2017 at 4:54 am

Yes a blog that you just gave attention to!

• To Me
      January 20, 2017 at 5:01 am

@ME unless you are referring to MLK’s sidechicks granddaughter, his first granddaughter was born in 2008. I think she is a bit too young to vote Trump. Jus saying!

62. TFB
    January 20, 2017 at 4:53 am

Maybe if Chrisette Michelle declines at the last minute Tamar Braxton can step in. We would expect that nonsense from her!

63. Tara
    January 20, 2017 at 5:04 am

64. Mo
    January 20, 2017 at 5:09 am

Did this confused !&@*#÷@$ say she is representing me? NOT!
    RESPECTFULLY SIGNED,
    GTFOH with that

65. Do Better
    January 20, 2017 at 6:43 am

Black women are tearing each other down on the internet like we are the only ones who can see it.

You’re dancing for the white man as well.

I find it interesting that you have your book through white & racist publishers.

But you judge Chrisette.

Macmillan publishing has BEEN racist.

And so are the heads of NBC.

And you’ve happily done business with both of them.

So, explain to me again about dancing for white people?

Because I’m Chicago, we haven’t seen you at ONE event giving back to black women.

But here you are taking one down.

Does this make you feel better, sis?

• Africa
      January 20, 2017 at 6:48 pm

Yes, all of this!

66. Trinity
    January 20, 2017 at 8:45 am

Ma’am the fact that you have the audacity to tear down another African American woman shows your true character. How dare you use your platform to tear down one of your own kind. We don’t have to agree with the decision she has made but, to tear her down and degrade her music is atrocious behavior. If you ask me, you are no better than “The Donald” with this type of behavior. It’s funny how people try to talk about others without first looking in the mirror. Now the fact is, Trump is president and there’s nothing we can do to change it. How about you use your platform to promote positivity. If she feels like she’s going to promote some type of bridging between the new president and the African American community then support her cause. It’s sad that you have all of these viewers and are encouraging them to do the same thing that Trump has done, spewed degradation and bullying. For future reference, before you write a letter to “check” someone, think of how they relate to you. We are all human beings, children of God. Use the gift of gab you were given to uplift them instead of tear them down.

God Bless you Luvvie
    #ChristteMicheleSupporter

• Sante Bowen
      January 20, 2017 at 9:21 am

Well said! While I don’t agree with Chrisette Michele’s decision to perform, I don’t think it’s fair to rip her to shreds for her style choices.

• Guyanasweet
      January 20, 2017 at 8:52 pm

I absolutely agree with you. As much as I love me some Luviee, the total disrespect wasn’t warranted. To attack and belittle a fellow sister in the same manner that Trump would is horrific. I am not a Trump supporter however in the words of our fabulous Michelle Obama, when they go low, we go high. I swear at times black folks can be each others worst enemy. You read on Chrisette Michelle could have been handled differently. No need to attack her looks and her career…smh

January 23, 2017 at 9:19 am

Trinity, I LOVE WHAT YOU SAID! You are On Point! We all need to look in the mirror FIRST before casting stones.

67. Sante Bowen
    January 20, 2017 at 9:17 am

It’s one thing to criticize her for choosing to perform at the inauguration, but why go in on her for switching up her looks? Especially when she looks great in most – if not ALL – of those photos!! Not many people can pull off so many different looks. If she wants to rock long wavy hair one week and a short blonde pixie the next week, let her do her. Even if she is trying to figure out who she is, don’t criticize her style journey.

68. King
    January 20, 2017 at 10:08 am

Ok, Luvvie! I’m going with ‘Orange Mugabe’. Now: who the hell is Chrisette Michele???

69. TiredoftheBS
    January 20, 2017 at 11:51 am

I swear my people are a serious disappointment with tbis hypocritical backlash. This is why we aint got sh** because we are always the pot calling the kettle black. Half of y’all cant articulate one policy of Obama’s that has benefited the black community and damn sure aint Obamacare. Yall ignant mofos wanna blame the white man for everything but dont wanna unite to make sh** better. Leave Christie alone and stop hating.

70. Keith
    January 20, 2017 at 12:40 pm

Really someone has a different opinion then you or does something you don’t like and their dead to you. People need to grow the f**k up man I’m tired of this shit. Nothings ever gonna change because no one really want change they just wanna complain about how f***d up shit is. Walt Disney was a notorious racist but I bet all y’all watch Disney movies. Bibles says it’s ok to have slaves and was used as the corner stone in American racial oppression but y’all still read it. If a quarter of MF who talk shit showed up in the hood and did shit most of our problem plaguing our community could be fixed in house. But noooooo no one wants to do that shit.

• Just Me
      January 21, 2017 at 6:28 am

PREACH!

71. WhatAWasteOfTalent
    January 20, 2017 at 2:57 pm

Congrats! Chrisette loses y’all support and DJT is STILL president for the next 4 years. You’re just as petty as our new leader. And stupid. Our people are so stupid and self-righteous. UGH! It irks my spirit to see it! Worrying about this girl and her singing career which does NOT equal endorsement meanwhile we can’t write whole articles on policy that will actually change lives. Half of us don’t know what’s really going on in the news. It’s a waste of hate and space and energy, and good writing – because you are a great writer. If you care that much, spend your energy wiser. Obama, who we all love so much, would never endorse this. So if we really wanna to be and SEE a change, it’s time to grow the hell up. Otherwise, Luvvie, you and DJT are sitting at the same table.

72. Meh
    January 20, 2017 at 4:40 pm

Such a waste, she is really talented. She better hope she gets that money and invest well, cause she is done after this unless she likes country and can do it well. She gonna get blackballed from black events and friends in industry that could of helped her aren’t gonna wanna see her. She was really short sighted with this. Should of looked for a new manger and marketing team.

73. Queen
    January 20, 2017 at 6:24 pm

I will start by saying that I am NOT a fan of Chrisette Michele …I have never listened to any of her songs …not for any reason in particular …I just never have. However, I am a fan of grown folks being able to make a decision regardless of their skin color …and whether or not I agree with that decison …allowing that grown adult individual to be free to make a decision that is their decision … because at the end of the day it is that grown person’s decision. Chrisette should be free to make a decision. At the end of the day, she does not represent the African American community …I am an African American and she does not represent me. She represents herself. Let her live! Since when do we feel it’s ok to bully grown folk for the decisions that they make? Disagree and keep it moving.

74. James
    January 20, 2017 at 7:06 pm

Oh you make a Hitler comparison? Look no further than Zimbabwe or Gambia in Mother Africa. As for Spike Lee he’s a racist punk.

75. Wow
    January 20, 2017 at 7:13 pm

This was mean. Chrisette is clearly making a mistake or else she is being willfully ignorant but to tear the woman down for trying out different looks and saying that she only has 7 fans is too much. We don’t need to do this to each other and now certainly is not the time. Everyone is not going to be down with being progressive and organizing our communities and they can go do them but lets not drag folks like this. She isn’t Stacey Dash or even Omorosa. She is just a black girl making a mistake. Let’s not crucify her and certainly let’s not crucify her for sport and entertainment. This isn’t ancient Rome.

76. Kizzy
    January 20, 2017 at 9:36 pm

If we TRULY cared about each other we would stop attacking our own people. The civil rights movement was about us all being equal. That means each person has the right to think for themselves and act for themselves. BLACK PEOPLE need to stop telling other black people they aren’t black because we don’t all think alike. If a white person said all black people are just alike you would be ready to cry racism. WE ARE OUR OWN WORST ENEMY. Start loving your sister and stop tearing her down because you disagree with her.

January 23, 2017 at 9:46 am

Kizzy….AMEN!!!!! Unfortunately, it is easier to Tear down than to Love. But WE have to start doing Hard things! Loving someone (when you disagree with them ) is Very hard but WE CAN,.. AND SHOULD DO IT!

77. Yoli
    January 20, 2017 at 10:30 pm

Who cares if she performed at the inauguration? Let’s not forget our girls Beyoncé and Mariah and our boy usher performed for Mohammed el ghadafi – a corrupt Libyan dictator who ordered the murder of 1000’s of innocent civilians. They got paid for that. In my opinion that’s 100 x worse. Leave the girl alone. It’s an honour to perform on the world stage.

78. The Songtress
    January 20, 2017 at 10:54 pm

So let’s see…
    Chrisette Michele Facebook followers:
    2,131,437

Twitter:
    626,000

Instagram:
    696,000

If she was as unknown as you tried to make it seem she was you said she was;

1. She wouldn’t have been trending on socal media and

2. You wouldn’t have written this blog about her.

A lot of us work for companies with questionable ethics but ain’t nobody quitting their job. Chrisette Michele is doing her job. Why does her employer’s viewpoint have to be a direct reflection of her own, yet it’s not like that for anyone else who is working for a corporation or government entity?

And as far as her style goes, a lot of women wish they were bold enough to pull off that many looks. If you would’ve stuck to what could possibly be wrong with her performing on am ideological level I would’ve been able to stomach this. Instead you made it a personal attack on her person and diminished her immense talent. If anyone has to do better is you and this blog you wrote about her. Donald Trump has people so fucked up that they’re becoming the very things they despise about him.

• Latanya
      January 21, 2017 at 12:02 am

Thank you!! I’m sure she doesn’t know who Marian Anderson!!!

January 23, 2017 at 9:53 am

OUCH!! The truth hurts but YOU hit the nail on the head! So many despise DJT they can’t even see that tearing some one down on a Public platform just like this is Music to ANY man’s ears with a heart of hate! Causing division, and dissention is/was an Intentional tool used on Blacks since Slavery! The ONLY way we can overcome that, is with UNITY! (Not agreeing with Everything everyone does) But UNITY in HEART and being able to say I don’t agree with you sister,.. but TODAY as an American I STAND WITH YOU! I stand with your decision to be Brave, to endure criticism and Most importantly to be a Bridge of Love this world So badly needs…..

79. Latanya
    January 20, 2017 at 11:57 pm

This letter is so upsetting. Yes trump is a bad candidate for President but why beat her down? Not to long ago they didn’t allow colored folks to sing at an events like this and here we are as BLACK PEOPLE putting another BLACK WOMEN DOWN for following in the footsteps of another BLACK WOMEN who open the doors to have this privilege.

Marian Anderson

January 23, 2017 at 9:58 am

Oh Latanya! Well said! How BADLY we need that reminder! Can you even imagine the INSANE RAGE! I mean INSANE PURE RAGE folks would be in if NO Person of color was asked to perform??? Can you imagine that!?? When at one point Blacks were Not even welcomed INTO the white house yet alone, PERFORM! And here we have SEVERAL artists being pursued for a MASSIVE amount of money( to me) and we putting them down!? REALLY!

80. January 21, 2017 at 12:44 am

So many newbies that dunno how LuvvNation works. That’s all yo’ Times Bestseller exposure. Randoms that don’t eem go here all in they feelings. Ole Kroger brand potato salad bringing to da BBQ face head asses. NO ONE ASKED YOU.

• The Songtress
      January 21, 2017 at 4:06 am

And in the spirit of this post you ignored anything of substance that was said and wanna say lame insults.

SN: I only eat my momma’s potato salad. I detest store brought potato salad. Come harder. Lol

January 23, 2017 at 10:20 am

The Songstress,.. THIS comment made me laugh AND Smile 🙂 LOVED IT!

81. January 21, 2017 at 2:15 am

My question is how did his people find her? I thought the entertainment was “American”. I hope that 750K is invested wisely because honey the small venues you normally book are done. This post gave me so much life. Lawd, where do I start? The paper plate and cotton ball reference for the win! For me the verdict is still out on my edges and castor oil!

82. Missy
    January 21, 2017 at 9:05 am

Is a “read” all about saying mean things in a clever way? If so, then this was definitely a “read.”
    The hypocrisy of tearing someone down while saying we need to stick together creates a great deal of cognitive dissonance for me. Can we say we disagree with someone’s decision without denigrating them on a personal/professional level? That might create more of the solidarity we are hoping will preserve us as we move forward in the Age of the Unenlightened (Trump Era of Downward Mobility).

83. […] And then that brings us to Friday. I caught a 7am flight back to New York. I dabbled a little on Facebook, reading mostly about the backlash Chrisette Michelle was getting for agreeing to perform at the inauguration festivities (thanks Awesomely Luvvie). […]

84. CP
    January 21, 2017 at 9:40 pm

By her actions this will now be her legacy. CM, Red Lobster is calling and they are looking for a new hostess.

85. Mary Burrell
    January 25, 2017 at 7:09 pm

She said her family has disowned her. That’s really bad.

86. Londa
    January 26, 2017 at 9:38 am

I happily played the sh*t out of her first album. The second and third, not so much. But, even still – I still liked her. She’s talented.

That being said…my head whirled like that chick in the exorcist when I learned Chrisette was performing for Captain Cantaloupe. What’s that phrase that people used to say? Oh, yeah…”How, Sway?”

As a mom, I do understand you gotta get that money when you have bills and mouths to feed. Yes, I know she’s not a mom. But, she must have bills out the wazoo to do this. (I’m reaching…I’m trying to understand. “How, Sway.”)

I still care about her. I ain’t 100% mad. I’m hella disappointed. I 100% believe she needs new people in her life.

By taking away her #BLAXIT passport I think we’re being a little harsh because we’re pissed (legitimately pissed!). Let’s put some sort of holographic stamp on the card – you know, how they indicate someone’s a minor on a driver’s license so that the under 21 can’t do some things. Then, we on the COPE rehabilitation committee can do some counseling to help a sista out. A four-step program (because ain’t nobody got time to walk people through twelve since Scandal is returning!). She just needs someone to talk with…a counselor.

But, if she does some sh&t like this again…she’s stuck with the Apricot Autocrat and his Leigon of Doom-ass cabinet. I ain’t playing!