Famous folksLetter

Dear Solange, I Love the New Haircut!

Solange’s new haircut has been all the hype to the point where it was #3 Trending Topic on Twitter. Folks talked about her hair more than they discussed the Iran Elections & Obama’s new healthcare plan. Sad? Definitely. Entertaining? Absolutely. So my letter is to Beyonce’s shadow Solange.

Dear Solange,

As of last week, I’m a new fan of yours.

solange

You recently cut off all your hair and mostly, you’ve gotten negative feedback from people. Folks have roasted you endlessly, relentlessly and oft times, hilariously. I’m sure Papa Knowles is somewhere brushing his ‘stache and plotting the demise of Twitter for facilitating the roast of his dear Solo.

Even Soulja Boy & Bow Wow had the nerve to make fun of you. Until SouljaBoy stops looking like Spectacular Jr., he can’t clown you. And until Bow Wow can ride the grown folks’ coasters at 6 Flags Great America, he needs not roast anybody. Bofa’ them need two “FOOL SADDOWN” fitted caps.

When I first heard you cut your hair, I gave an instant side-eye because I thought you were following in LaLa, Cassie and Pon De Fo’head’s footsteps with that tacky shaved on the sides haircut. I know Foghorn Leghorn is somewhere PISSED at them for swagger jacking.

But I saw your picture and said “WHEW!” Well, I’m here to say “Kudos, Solange. Effing Kudos.” I support your new haircut. As a short hair aficionado myself, who has kept my hair short for the last 9 years, I give you the thumbs up. I say everyone should go ultra short as least once in their lifetime. It can be easy to hide behind a busted hairhat, but if you can be cute with no hair to cover that huge forehead or that odd looking ear then you get mad props from me. No offense to those who are hairhat aficionados.

Everyone isn’t Halle Berry but everyone also doesn’t need to have hair down their back either. I think you look decent with the hair. You look identical to your son, Juelz now.

And I’ve taken it upon myself to give you unsolicited advise to ensure that your segzy isn’t compromised now that you have short hair.

• Get a 100% boar bristle brush – will keep your kitchens in check and your hair neat
  • Keep a standing appointment at SuperCuts every 2 weeks so the back of your neck isn’t looking like Wolverine’s. Your lining shouldn’t be too tight though. You don’t want dudes being envious of your LINING game
  • Rock big earrings always so on those days you aren’t rocking a skirt, folks don’t address you by “Sir”

With these in mind, you can rock your short hair with confidence and fierceness (like I am in that pic. Yes I was feeling myself something se’ous). This new style makes you more interesting to me. Plus, when you clapped back on Twitter at everyone, you earned yourself a new fan. It gave me EVERYTHING!

Yours in new fan-dom,

LuvBucket

I am a Walking Contradiction

AKA Wax Statue Madness

1. Beez
    July 27, 2009 at 6:12 am

i. love. solange. and. am. glad. that. she. spoke. back. about. her. decisions. pleased. as. punch. that. she. embraced. her. natural. beauty. rock. that. fro. girl. eff. those. idiots. that. try. to. make. her. less. than. a. woman. because. of. something. she. wanted. to. do. i've. also. graduated. from. her. school. of. apathy. and. excessive. period.. usage. hooray.

P.S. I saw some pics from about 5 years ago when she was pregnant with Jewelz (or however you spell it) and she was rocking the shorty do then too. I just couldn't believe so many people had such negative things to say- have the standards of beauty become so bastardized that deviation is seen as ugly or evil now? If so, eff. them.

2. Tunde
    July 27, 2009 at 1:25 pm

yeah she was on twitter clapping back hard. i was dying laughing.

3. @LiteraryNobody
    July 27, 2009 at 3:59 pm

She's finally doing with her hair what she has tried to do for a while now with her career. Get out from under Beyonce's shadow. Even if it makes her come across as the slightly unstable yet talented younger sister. I actually love her music and never felt she got enough props but I'm not too sure about this direction she is heading in. Also, I love the short styles. I have somewhat of a milkdudish shape to my head that makes wearin' the fro a no no but if I could I would too.

4. Cheekie
    July 27, 2009 at 4:40 pm

Yeah, I actually gotta give her props for effectively rocking the short 'do. It's such an extreme from the unbeweavable-ness she rocked prior. So, kudos.

Imma just need her to not debut it with a distracting shirt that has the print of Reading Rainbow: The LSD Trippy Version. Because, I was staring at that shirt for a good while before I gave myself time to evaluate the hairdo.

And YESS, she has the responsibility to rock the most diva of big earrings now. I'm sure she'll work it and go all outrageous with her earrings. Given her wardrobe, I won't be surprised.

And you, Luvvie, are looking MOST fierce in that pic. Love the color, too. I actually think Solange's 'do would be more interesting with color.

5. K to the...
    July 27, 2009 at 5:08 pm

The Reggie Miller resemblance is definitely there! Remember when ole girl from Top Model, about 27 seasons ago, who had to have all her hair cut off because it was so damaged…she still rocked the short cut and still looked cute. I'm positive Solange will keep the 'do looking fresh.

6. Lite Bread
    July 27, 2009 at 5:54 pm

Yer Most Beautiful Awesomelynessis,
    I LOVE me a girl that'll rock short hair. Or 'natural' look. I just never went for (or understood) the "I gotta get this totally over-done style fixed every third day at the beauty shop" look. Too … whatever.
    I like me REAL girls, you know?
    Sweaty runner-girls are great, lol.

7. amymay117
    July 27, 2009 at 6:13 pm

Now, you know Luv don't run… chile's allergic, 'member?

8. amymay117
    July 27, 2009 at 6:15 pm

I think that hair is cute on her… ppl oughta leave that girl alone!

by the way, Luvvie, those earrings are the business!!

9. LoudPen
    July 27, 2009 at 7:07 pm

I was one of the few that loved Solange's haircut. I am also one of the few who bought Solange's cd. I am also one of the few who is a true fan of Solange's. I am also one of the few women who wears her hair natural. I am also one of the few that thinks that Solange is NOT nor has she ever been in Beyonce's shadow. She is absolutely one hundred percent her own person. If don't believe me buy her CD and listen to it…"hear her voice and feel with your ear" and you will know that this girl has no desire to be Beyonce. If she did she'd be rocking blonde weaves and making pop culture hits.

The reason that people think that she in Beyonce's shadow is because of the media and music industry. The media and music industry have defined Beyonce as the Queen, because of her beauty, talent, record sales, concert sales, songwriting, and performance skills. Making Beyonce` the Queen, then made the media and industry define anything else as less and in the shadow. But, like my homegirl said, Everybody doesn't want to be Beyonce. And Solange is at the top of that list.

10. Lite Bread
    July 27, 2009 at 11:57 pm

@amymay,
    I know, I know.
    It’s just somethin’ about that sheen of delicate sweat glistening on dark skin …

11. mcarter251
    July 28, 2009 at 12:04 am

I think it's different and cute. I've done it once not by choice but as a side effect to chemo, but I don't think I've ever felt as free as when my hair was short. Very easy to maintain! It was a bold move and I'm happy she did it.

12. LoudPen
    July 27, 2009 at 7:08 pm

The media comparing Solange to Bey is stupid and clearly is them trying to start a sibling war that is unneccessary. I don't understand the idea that because they are sisters, they are supposed to be carbon copies of one another BUT if Solange does anything different from Bey, "she's trying too hard" and "seeking attention". What?! That makes no sense.

Oh well, let me stop ranting before Luvvie kicks me off her blog for forever. BTW, I have an older sis and hate people comparing us and acting like cause my sis was born first it is impossible for me to have an original idea. For my more of my rant check the post I did called Say What?! (Quote of the Week) Beyonce` and Solange. http://theloudestpenever.blogspot.com

Sorry for mini ad but, I thought it was approriate. Will never happen again. *side eye*

13. LoudPen
    July 27, 2009 at 7:08 pm

14. LoudPen
    July 27, 2009 at 7:08 pm

15. LoudPen
    July 27, 2009 at 7:08 pm

16. LoudPen
    July 27, 2009 at 7:08 pm

17. LoudPen
    July 27, 2009 at 7:08 pm

18. @Sabrina97
    July 28, 2009 at 2:04 am

I lurve short hair and I am impressed by her reasons behind cutting it. Sometimes you just don't want hair hanging everywhere!

19. K to the...
    July 28, 2009 at 3:41 pm

I LOVED Sol-Angel. She sounded NOTHING like Beyonce…she definitely stands on her own…and the haircut REALLY shows that now.

20. amymay117
    July 29, 2009 at 3:32 am

you, sir, are smitten….
    *smh*

21. @NaturallyAlise
    August 3, 2009 at 5:18 pm

As a short hair proponent I love that she made the plunge… it saddens me that wearing your natural hair is so polarizing, like for real son? But to wear synthetic sweaty ratty looking hairhats is accepted… grrrrr….

22. bogart4017
    August 5, 2009 at 8:28 pm

I like it! She just needs to tighten up the hairline in front is all.