Skinny Girl Problems Are Real

Skinny girl problems are REAL, and it is not our fault that our metabolisms are faster than Usain Bolt. I’m here to share with you what some of them are.

Before I start, lemme say yes, I am aware that there’s a fat girl problem to counteract each of these. But we ain’t talmbout you #doe so… KEEP YOUR SIDE-EYES TO YOURSELF!

Skinny Girl Problems

10 Skinny Girl Problems

* We can barely give blood – We want to do good in the world and give back sometimes. So when we go to donate blood, we often get met with side-eyes from workers who don’t think we meet the 110-pound cut off. They make us drink extra juice just so we can get our weight up at the moment and not pass clean out. I mean, yeah sometimes their concern is legit, but I’m saying. I even eat a steak before going to make sure I’m good. You ain’t gotta look at me that hard. You petty. Hmph.

* We’re always cold – ALWAYS. Without much fat on our bones, we’re always left shivering. We can have on a tank top and a long-sleeve under a sweater, a pashmina and an infinity scarf, leggings under our jeans, 2 pairs of socks and our favorite NorthFace jacket and we’d still be freezing. While everyone else is all “It’s just so nice out!” Lookie here… I have no buffer so ignore me while I shiver. This is a REAL struggle. Living in Chicago winter is even tougher when you’re skinty. Needless to say, the amount of our electric bill is directly proportional to how skinny we are. Mine be SKY HIGH.

* We always get reminded that we’re skinny – Folks feel the need to let us know we’re skinny, as if we don’t already know. Like they just HAVE to break the news to us in case we forgot, and they feel no qualms about it. They’re all “Damb you skinny as hell.” REALLY?? You won’t like it if I walked up to you talmbout “Damb G. You fat as shit.” Not ONE bit. So why must you throw my skinty in my face? This is especially true for family members.
Skinny Girl Problems

And then folks always gotta come up with a plan to “fatten you up.”

* Our pants get baggy midday – So we put on our pants in the morning, and they’re all fitted and cute. We’re feeling ourselves and going “Heyyyyyyy…” But due to the stretching of the fabric, by noon, our pants are looking like wide-leg when they were skinny cut before. And this makes me sad. How’d my jeans get 2 sizes bigger in 6 hrs??? That’s just disrespectful. It’s all saggy in the booty and our segzy is totally compromised. Then we gotta wash the pants in high heat to get them back tight. And the cycle repeats itself.

Science needs to come up with denim that isn’t jeggings and won’t do that. We’ve put a man on the moon. Surely, we can make this happen too.

* We make terrible cuddle buddies – Lack of meat on our bones make certain joints and parts of us sharp, like elbows, knees and chins. Have you ever placed your head on his chest and he goes “OW!”

You: “What?”
Him: “Your chin just stabbed me”
You: *cries in tea*

Our #selfofsteam be TOO murked. It just ain’t right, mayne. AND TWO super skinny people together is a health hazard. Cuddling can be so awkward. And uncomfortable. Our joints are TOO sharp for that. This is why I like husky men. Me with a skinty dude would start a forest fire. And who wants that? Certainly not Smokey the bear.

True Life.

Great segway to…

* Gusts of winds are dangerous – A really windy day is our kryptonite. Have you ever had to battle a strong gust of wind that almost swept you into traffic? That joint is embarrassing. And don’t let it be raining and you have a punk umbrella with you and it turns inside out.

Being petite, we have to strike a delicate balance between an umbrella that has some weight to it without it being one that our arms will get tired from carrying after 5 minutes. The umbrella that is slightly heavy is the one we need, though, so it can stabilize us. Otherwise, it becomes a struggle to stay standing on a rainy windy day. Unless you find a pole or something heavy to hang on to, it might be deuces. Nobody knows the struggles we’ve seen. Besides other skinny people!

* It’s hard to find knee boots that fit our calves without space left – We go shoe-shopping and try on some dope shoes, only to find that we still got a 2-inch gap where the boots don’t touch our calves. TOO disappointing. We look like fishermen in their rubber boots. And then we get sad. This is a REAL struggle. Especially for us shoe heads. I take that personally. 🙁

* People pick us up to test their strength – Skinty girls get picked up randomly by people who want to see how strong they are talmbout “Hey lemme pick you up. Bet I could.” Yeah AND? I’m not a toddler! Put me down, fool!

RUDE.

* We have to prove to folks that we eat – We’ve been asked countless times “Do you eat?” Nawl… I get sustenance off oxygen and the occasional cracker. YEAH I EAT!!! So anytime we go to restaurants, we feel pressured to clean our plates and almost lick them. When we don’t, folks be talmbout “See that’s why you’re that skinny now.” Can I be great??? How do you know it ain’t because my metabolism is on crack? HUH??? And let us not pick a super fatty dish…

* We can’t exercise without being judged – We mention to folks that we’re gonna start exercising and they look at us up and down with this look O____o. I am skinny and out of shape. YES, it’s possible. So excuse me for tryna make sure my heart is right. Being skinny fat ain’t bout that life!

And as a bonus…

And then folks make us sit in that not-chair part of the backseat because we don’t need a lotta space. By the time we get to the destination, we’ve been assaulted by the hardness. RUDENESS!

There are COUNTLESS skinny girl problems! Which ones did I miss?

Comments on this entry are closed.

• MimiLovesMojito January 10, 2011, 7:45 pm

LOL – I don’t have not one of these problems, but this is cute!!

• Luvvie January 11, 2011, 3:32 am

😀

• Ebony Sharee June 23, 2014, 1:05 pm

Well AMEN and Amen!

I wrote a blog post about this recently….and I’m so glad I stopped by and caught this one! Bravo! Being “skinny” is The struggle lol I always correct them by saying, “I’m not skunny, I’m petite” LOL but for real, you don’t see a “skinny” section at Macy’s…it’s petite and that’s what I am… dagnabbit! Lol

BLESSINGS LUVVIE KEEP THESE POSTS COMING…LOVE THE SITE!

Blog relaunching July 31st…geared toward tweens. Feel free to stop by anytime. NO PRESSURE 🙂

• Ebony Sharee June 23, 2014, 1:10 pm

OH even though I’m 3 years and like 5 months late. Blog post “Daring to Be Small”

• Zenzele January 10, 2011, 7:50 pm

THANK YOU for giving us a voice! And I look like a pirate in my calf-high boots!

• Luvvie January 11, 2011, 3:32 am

That’s what I’s here for! But lol at pirate.

• R. January 22, 2014, 8:49 pm

I have ALL of these problems. Once I was just walking and a random guy picked me up and didn’t even LOOK at me and after he put me down he said to his friend: Told you. She’s SOOO light!

• Kay January 10, 2011, 8:00 pm

Being that I’m a semi big gurl (size 12), I dont have these problems…I do hate that I can’t wear knee boots, cause they dont zip all the way up! I get so jealous of big girls that have small legs! Why they fat cant be all proportioned like mine? LOL Why they get to be built like a lollipop? Big up top and skinty on the bottom? LOL

• Luvvie January 11, 2011, 3:30 am

LMAOOOOOO at you. HILAR!!

• Jay January 10, 2011, 10:43 pm

LOL. Funny post. My fiance is a skinny girl. She was a model and almost made it onto America’s Next Top Model (#truestory) but I swear that to this day she has a complex about her lack of booty and she’s envious of thick girls not even half as attractive as she.

• Luvvie January 11, 2011, 3:30 am

See? Our lack of booty just messes w/ our #selvesofsteam

• Tara January 10, 2011, 11:46 pm

Dead @ the T.I tweet. Hey Luvvie I can’t follow you on twitter and I know that I’m missing out on much need ignificence

• Luvvie January 11, 2011, 3:30 am

Why can’t ya follow me on Twittah?

• Tara January 11, 2011, 3:38 pm

It said you blocked me and I’m confused since it came up from the first time I tried #sadface

• Luvvie January 11, 2011, 5:35 pm

OH NO!!! Really??? What’s your Twitter name? That had to be by mistake.

• Tara January 11, 2011, 6:47 pm

HeavensDiva or Tara_Heaven I’m not sure how that name thing works it should be the first one though

• sheri January 11, 2011, 7:44 am

Oh man. That was funny and I’m not even close to being skinny. I know a lot of skinny chicks and let me tell u they eat…must have a hole in their stomach or a tapeworm or something.

• BeesOHoney January 11, 2011, 8:33 am

LMBO Oh my gosh, this is too funny. I have to share this with everyone I know. Thank you for starting my day off with a smile. 🙂

• max January 11, 2011, 8:34 am

Luvvie you hit every one right on the head. It’s a trial and a tribulation being skinny, true people don’t know!

But this: “I am skinny and out of shape. YES, it’s possible.”

Tell them again! I’m tired of getting side-eyes if I mention my workouts. Can I be firm? Let me live!

• paintgurl40 January 11, 2011, 11:25 am

LMAO!!@ let me live!!!!

• Oyan January 11, 2011, 9:12 am

Boohoo. No sympathy, unless ‘you skinny girls’ are ill. Other than that, no sympathy.

• Aliee December 14, 2013, 3:11 pm

Yo, I don’t even try to be skinny, I sit on my a** all day, and IDGAF, but all my friends are like, hey, you’re so skinny! I wish I was like you! I WANT TO BE FAT, I EAT ALL OF MY FRIENDS FOOD! THEY EAT LESS THAN ME AND WEIGH MORE SO SUCK IT UP!

• alex August 11, 2014, 12:56 am

Smh. None, needed darling. Calm down.

• MissMaryMack January 11, 2011, 10:08 am

LMBO!!! if I wasn’t workin like an endentured servant with a handicap, I would soooooo get my #tallgirlproblems on. Maybe later! You stay tryn’a get me fired at work for laughin too loud!

• paintgurl40 January 11, 2011, 11:28 am

Luvvie you bullshttn!! Yall skinty folks got those kind of problems?? Dayum i guess the grass is the same damn shade no matter where u standin!!
    LMFAO!!! that post made my stomach hurt!

• Sxykaramel33 January 11, 2011, 11:34 am

I’m going to share this post with any and everybody who will read it.Finally someone understands what I go through!!!!! You really nailed it with how our jeans end up two sizes too big by midday and having to constantly dry them to shrink them back. It’s just a skinny girl phenomenon I will never understand. In college, I used to wear tights and leggings under my jeans to help me fill them out because I had to fake a booty. Going to and HBCU will mess with your #selfofsteam . And don’t get me started on all the haters that get mad that I can eat any and everything I want without gaining weight. It used to be “wait until you hit 25.” Now that I’m 29, all I hear is “you can eat like that now, but wait until you hit 30.” They just hatin’ on my fabulous metabolism and gene pool. Now when I see the “thick” girls from college that have teetered over to the FAT side, I just #smize.

• Stuff Educated Black People Like January 11, 2011, 3:01 pm

Hmm, this sounds like I need to create a post about this on my Stuff Educated Black People Like website: http://www.stuffeducatedblackpeoplelike.org

Post # 27: Hating on Skinny Black Women 😉

Good Post, love the satire. Keep up the good work.

• Bridgette January 11, 2011, 3:44 pm

My mama and I had this convo the other day. (My mama is in her 50’s and STILL has skinny girl problems). I have had people say…I want to lose weight but I don’t THAT skinny (giving me the side eye). Uh, beech I would like to gain weight but I don’t want to be THAT big!!! Hefer.

Then my MIL always I need iron cause I complain that I’m cold when I’m at her house. UH, no. 1) U have NO central heat. 2) It’s 20 degrees outside and all you have is a space heater to warm the Entiyah house. GTFOH!

Sorry I had a moment. But you right…skinny girls have problems too. :0)

• Shannon January 18, 2011, 7:52 pm

As a skinny girl who went completely to hell post-baby, I’m giving you permission to rip on any fat girl who says stuff to you. They do it out of insecurity. I think it, but I don’t say it. Yeesh.

• NikG January 11, 2011, 5:27 pm

OK had to unlurk at * Our pants get baggy midday; i’m the mommy of a 4 year old skinnygirl and she has zakly the same problem; my mama swear i’m just dressing her any old kinda way. We thickums don’t know nothin bout this phenomenon. the more you know…ding!

• Ashley January 11, 2011, 5:42 pm

Thank you Luvvie for making me laugh and reflect on my skinny girl struggles. They are indeed real.

My skinny girl problems are and can be short girl problems too. I weigh 104lbs and I’m 4’8 and will be 26 come March.

I have all of the listed problems and then some.

I hate pants that are a perfect fit at the waist but are too long OR they’re the perfect length but they’re too big in the waist. I also hate when clothes in the little girl’s dept. are too big too. (THAT struggle is embarrassing, like how are you an adult and even the kids’ clothes are too big)

I have a pair of jeans that are some years old and are still too big in the waist.

There are kids that I baby sat for and changed their diapers who weigh more and are taller than I.

I’ve been bench pressed and I even had a male friend (who was on the husky side) who decided to do me the way Jet Li did Aaliyah in Romeo Must Die (the scene where he used her to fight the chick). I was on my way to bathroom and stopped to see who was fighting. Bad idea. He picked me up, instructed me to hold and keep my legs together and used me to beat some poor guy up.

I have yet, due to my virginity, to experience how being small and skinny will affect the sex. I’ve always been told that I won’t be able to avoid being tossed, etc. And if I hear one ‘mo time how I’m going to be all baby when I get pregnant.

oh and thanks for the skinny girl problems tumblr, I follow and enjoy

by the way, I eat like there’s no tomorrow. Just not sure where it goes

• Ashley January 11, 2011, 5:50 pm

I forgot another of my embarrassing skinny girl problems. When I ride shotgun the passenger air bag will NOT stay on. Unless, I sit with something in my lap or I sit in one particular spot on the seat. My mama gets a kick out of this. I also sit on a pillow when I drive

• Ruby April 10, 2011, 4:27 pm

Lmao at this. An old roommate of mine could sit in the passenger seat and the light would not come on. If I put my backpack in the seat (I’m in college), the light came on instantly. She was soo pissed all the time!

• Javanell January 11, 2011, 10:51 pm

THIS IS MY LIFE. SHOO Thank god it’s not just me!

• K. Rock January 12, 2011, 1:08 pm

This was totally awesome and I can relate too much!!

• Christina January 12, 2011, 1:28 pm

I died through this whole post. Everything you said is true! A friend sent this to me because I have specifically mentioned to her how a strong wind has pushed me a few feet down the street and how men think it’s ok to just pick me up.

I have a similar problem as Ashley’s. I am 25 and 4’11”. So I get a lot of “Girl, you so skinny” AND “Girl, you’re really short.”

I do have one bonus though. I have a regular sized woman’s booty, hips and thighs, so it makes me look nice and curvy.

• mochazina January 12, 2011, 6:38 pm

LOL – I ain’t neva been close to skinty, skinny, or slim, but I can appreciate the struggle! 😀 The boot thing reminds me of the waistband thing for us bigbootiegirls…

• krocka January 15, 2011, 9:04 am

i was @ hogs & honeys the other night and you speak the truth! there were so many skinny-fat chicks there…one in particular…but she had a gut…just flabby…but tall and thin. i was confuddled.

• krocka January 15, 2011, 9:05 am

there were also a bunch of fat-fat chicks there too…hmm, one chick had her cat scratched belly sagging from the bottom of her shirt…looked post-partum…like she cut off her hospital bracelet and left the baby for the night…

• Dr. Kiti January 18, 2011, 12:36 pm

Wow, see, I used to tell people that these problems were real! Especially about the boots! I hated being skinty when I was younger so I couldn’t wait to gain weight so people would stop asking me if I eat, stop testing my gansta and stop getting my boots altered (that ish is expensive!).

• Tea January 24, 2011, 4:38 pm

I can totally relate to the baggy pants midday, people picking me up (they don’t ask either), exercising and laying on top of folks in a full car. This is hilarious!

• Sarah January 25, 2011, 8:53 am

I can totally relate to this and also explains why I don’t have boots. The last time I tried to explain the space left and my friend didn’t get it. I settled for some hot stilettos.
    I can relate to the inability to donate blood. I always say- I need all of mine. Ha.
    Glad to read a skinny girls problems for a change.

• Dig It All April 25, 2011, 4:01 pm

I’m a skinny guy and I can totally relate to all of them except the jeans and boots lol But good article !

• NicoleLisa July 14, 2011, 10:47 am

I am not a skinny girl so I can’t personally relate but this post is funny.
    I do have a skinny friend and have witnessed her go through the wind thing, the picking up thing AND the eating thing. We joke on her all the time.
    I am going to have to forward her this link.

• Ashley July 15, 2011, 2:31 pm

I was bored and came here to get a laugh. I saw a comment I made that said I weigh 104lbs…yeah, that was then, this is now. I now weigh 98lbs

so my skinny girl issues live on

• Luvvie July 15, 2011, 2:39 pm

Damb dawg! You lost weight? Aw damb. :-/

• Ashley July 15, 2011, 11:11 pm

yup, weight just doesn’t want to be my friend. I’on know what I did to it but it must’ve been pretty bad

I’ve accepted this though and try to embrace it since I can’t change it

• Aliee December 14, 2013, 3:31 pm

So I am not a full adult, but into my teens, and I weigh 90, I’m 5′ and I weigh as much as my friend who is 4’8″, They are always picking on me! But I try to embrace it too

• Leo the Yardie Chick July 15, 2011, 2:59 pm

I’m 160 something lbs, but I’m tall. Growing up, I was mad skinny and was called everything from Bean pole, to Olive Oyl to Dhalsim. I got a little bottom heavy after high school, but this recession is eating away my booty! >.<

And, yes, you can be skinny (points) and out of shape (double point). Pretty sure I'm going to look like a toothpick when I get off my lazy ass and start walking again.

• Ayo July 16, 2011, 2:00 pm

I so relate to this. When I was a kid, I was called “panla” *yoruba accent*…was also called “lamp post”, “lepa shandi”, “el’ese toothpick”…the “sufferage” is too much. Now that I’m in South Africa, u get all these raggedy construction workers and randoms on the road screaming “slender slender! Never tire!”….uh what’s that supposed to mean o___O? Also, in boarding school, and even at home, mummy buys a loaf of bread and these kids assume that cuz u are skinny, 3 slices of bread is enough and I’m like “uhm try doubling that. Don’t try to starve me. I aint trying to disappear”…u also get those folks that make fun of you when its windy. When u come close, they like “I saw you swaying with the wind”… Am I supposed to laugh? SkiNny girl problems are real o.

• Lauren July 29, 2011, 8:57 pm

Everything said here is 100% true. That is all.

• chet August 6, 2011, 6:45 am

i like skinny girls myself

• Sherry Blossom October 26, 2011, 6:32 pm

Up until age 19 this was the story of my life…ALL OF IT!!! Now the only thing that applies to me is: the 2inch gap from boot to calf arrghhhhh i hate baggy boots…the jeans stopped being a problem when i realized if i buy high waisted jeans and low rise im okay the “regular” jeans do get the infamous sag! 🙁 this was a fun read! thanks!!!

• Seph February 1, 2012, 3:18 pm

THANK YOU FOR THIS !! I stumbled across it on and i can relate to EVERYTHING . I’m 5’8″ and i weigh 112 . My box saw my ankles once and said i looked like Anne Frank :/ . I had a very low self esteem (still battle with it) especially because everyone else in my family is THICK as a mug ! And i do too eat . You don’t know how i tired i am of ppl trying to shove food down my throat AFTER i’ve eaten like 7 plates alreaady . Sad story . And “this real women have curves” business kills me . I have curves too, they’re just not visible ! LOL

SKINNY GIRLS UNITE ! We’re sexy too !

• IfYouEverComeBack March 8, 2012, 2:52 am

All late to the party again, I don’t understand skinny girl problems. However you seem to have a couple of the same problems as short girls.

• Shayla June 3, 2012, 12:57 am

Omg I almost died at the twitter post: “Not wanting to eat a salad in public. “Why you eating salad? You’re so thin already” BITCH I LIKE SALAD THO. – @shaydechelle
    The struggle is real lol! And the gym thing! Omg, story of my life..

• noelani August 1, 2012, 6:50 pm

being tould your under whait like there a doctor and know what there talking about

• Sydney September 16, 2012, 9:03 pm

I can relate to almost all of them. Everyone is like your so skinny, do you eat??? Yes I flipping eat! I eat more than my older brother!!! People tell me, go eat a big Mac! I would if I could!!! And one day when it was windy and I was wearing baggy sweats (there ex. Small was to big (I’m in high school)) so when we were doing jumping jacks in the field, a giant gush of wind came and I swear I flew back a yard! The couches looked at me like what on earth!

Everytime I go shopping it REALLY REALLY HARD to find skinny jeans. THERE TO BAGGY!!!

The smallest person in my grade can pick me up…I’m 14, and weigh 87 pounds…

• Aliee December 14, 2013, 3:35 pm

ME TOOO 14, and 90 strong

• Sydney September 16, 2012, 9:07 pm

I’m am very out of shape, too. I can’t run far with out being out of breath, I can’t do much with out being tired a few seconds later!!^.^

• mar-mar November 1, 2012, 7:57 pm

i can relate to this sooo much!i’m in the 8th grade and i’m frekin 5 foot 8!and on top of that i’m skinny.and on top of that i have to wear glasses!but strangley i have a lot a friends and don’t get picked on that much.

• Gabriela November 15, 2012, 6:51 pm

I can’t wear leggings or skinny jeans because I feel like people are starring at me… I want to wear leggings and just look casual but I can’t because they make me look more skinny… Sometimes I wish that I was a size 6 or 8.

• Chia December 9, 2012, 11:16 am

My friend in high school used to hear me complain about #skinnygirlproblems and he told me to go eat me a coupla Big Macs, drink some milk and lay down. Smh. It didn’t work. I’m now 31 and weigh the same amount I did in 10th grade

• melanie January 10, 2013, 2:01 pm

I stumbled onto this article whilst searching for ways to gain weight. Wat a laugh. This is the story of my life I’ve been mocked for being so skinny been called matchstick girl I’ve been told I’m walkn on my arms lol. I’m married now and hubby mocks my skinny body as well. I wish I could wear dresses and short shorts but my legs are nasty! Aaaaag Skinnygirlproblems are endless thanx for this article its consoling to know its not just my struggle. Mmm think I should have a bag of chips now!

• Kay January 10, 2013, 7:10 pm

OMG Yes! All of these issues Plus Im Southern. Growing up during Beyonce’s Destiny’s Child era was TOUGH. No guy wanted to talk to unless you had her shape. Still recovering from that ..lol I eat more than everyone else but Ive cut back. This was cute!

• Kay January 10, 2013, 7:13 pm

OMG Yes! All of these issues
    Plus Im Southern. Growing
    up during Beyonce’s Destiny’s Child era
    was TOUGH. No guy wanted to talk to
    you unless you had her shape. Still
    recovering from that ..lol I eat more
    than everyone else but Ive cut back.
    This was cute!

• Albani January 10, 2013, 7:14 pm

Lmfaoooo!! YAAAAS at being skinny & still out of shape. I’m around 140 lbs and still breathe hard when I try to run for more than a minute, but I was never diagnosed with athsma. My mile time was almost 13 minutes and it’s never been earlier than 11! Smh, the struggle!

• Viv January 10, 2013, 7:47 pm

Its crazy.. its like we synced on this one. I wrote a personal blog post about this! I love you more for voicing this out…

• Ashleigh Atwell January 10, 2013, 7:49 pm

You forgot the long socks for the winter wardrobe! I can be wearing all that shit but if my ankles are out? It’s shot to hell. Even if I wear boots. -___-

But those whole list is the TROOF!!

• Shevonne January 10, 2013, 8:06 pm

I’m 5’10”, 200lbs and my calves are huge. I just bought some Steve Madden over the knee boots and had to take them back because they refuse to zip up past my calf -____-

• Maria January 10, 2013, 8:28 pm

This was so awesome. I laughed and high-fived in the air. Been a “slim” all my life and I can relate to every one of these. I had to post this article on my meet-up group for slim gals. I’m sure they will appreciate it.

• Natasha Bettina January 10, 2013, 8:53 pm

The struggle is real! I was a card carrying member until I had my first child. I was 126 at 5’10”. Now I am skinny with a gut. Not cool.

• Tracie Mae January 10, 2013, 8:59 pm

In college, I used to point out all these small ass nooks and crannies I thought my skinny friends could fit through. And then I’d challenge them to do it. Like, “You could totally fit underneath the gap of that fence….try and see.” LOL.

But let me add that following a slim chick through the club is AWFUL. Y’all be winding in and out of folks with ease, people’s grooves aren’t disturbed the least bit…and then here comes my thighs trying to fit through that same window? No indeed.

Y’ap.

• FugitiveWits January 17, 2013, 2:30 pm

#selfofsteam though? I just spit out every morsel of salad in my mouth. This man next to me is ready to get up and leave, I’m laughing that hard. I’m through with you, Luvvie. Through.

• NollywoodRave June 6, 2013, 10:03 pm

Lmbo. I died
    Funniest way to bring about this issue
    #LoveIT

• murtaza June 13, 2013, 9:24 am

Well but Skinny Girls look more beautiful

• Motiur August 2, 2013, 4:00 pm

These problems don’t just happen for skinny girls, but skinny guys as well. And there’s a reason for it. It’s not just necessarily because you don’t eat enough: it’s your body type. There are 3: ectomorphs (the naturally skinny ones), mesomorphs (the normal ones) and endomorphs (the naturally big ones). Do some research and you’ll learn about them. Sadly, for us ectomorphs, there isn’t much you can do. If you’re going to eat to gain weight, don’t think you can eat as much of anything you want — unhealthy foods can and will weaken your health (the things you eat now can affect you years later, especially when you’re old). I’m an 18-year-old guy of 5’8″. I used to be 125 pounds last year. I’m always called skinny, stick, etc. So I started eating more, mainly fried chicken, pizza, McDonald’s, and pasta. A few months later I was 140 pounds. And then I realized… it all went to my stomach. I literally looked just as skinny as I used to be. People are surprised when I tell them I have a lot of stomach fat. Two months ago I started going to the gym. I figured that if I want to be less skinny, I should add muscle, not fat. And you’d think it’d would be really easy to lose the stomach fat for a person with high metabolism, but sadly it’s not, even on a strict diet 🙁

• DB August 15, 2013, 9:11 pm

I have every single problem listed on here. I laughed at relating to each one while reading.

• jasmine September 26, 2013, 11:54 am

Ohhh great writing… well I m skinny n havng all probs tht u mentioned. My jeans wont fit. Look like two sticks put together. 🙁

• Sili March 19, 2014, 12:49 pm

No. But for real. This is it!!! Love it love it love it.

• Leah March 19, 2014, 1:11 pm

Oh em gee!!!!! You hit all of them on the head. Especially the you don’t need to exercise. Uummmm….yes I do. I am skinny but very much out of shape. Please excuse me if someone else mentioned it in their comments but my pet peeve is on public transportation. Yes I a skinny BUT this is my seat. Just because you are big, does not allow you to come over in my seating area. Yes my bag is there and will stay there with me in MY SEAT!!!

• Dreamy March 19, 2014, 1:52 pm

I LOVE this!! OMG! I used to look at people like what gives you the right to make them comments but they would try to come for my neckline if I said “you fat as hell” or “don’t eat me, please”. I put on my grown woman weight so I am not as thin anymore, but still smaller than most of my friends and I had to flat out tell them heffas, if you don’t want big girl or can shed a few pounds comments, don’t do it!! I can out eat every last one of them on a sick day and now, I LOVE IT!! I do the most at the buffets with NO guilt! I burn that ish off walking another plate back to the table! LOL! Glad to see it’s not just me! 🙂

• Alisha Tillery March 19, 2014, 2:42 pm

Co-damn-sign, Luuvie!!! I’ve only gained maybe 10-12 pounds since high school, and I’m 33. My mama always tells me I look like a “lil snake” and folks are ALWAYS asking me if I wear a size 0 (I don’t). It’s so annoying. Thanks for this because the wind almost took me out this morning!

• JustBNme April 18, 2014, 1:14 pm

OMG….I soooooo hate when people think I am a size 0. have they ever saw what a zero looks like. REally? I am a size 6 (in petite of course).

• mizzpicklezz March 19, 2014, 4:00 pm

I think I am going to have my daughter read this my poor child is 13 and her skinty jeans slim cut from Old Navy..SAG….even when she has a belt on- it kind of looks like she pooed herself..XD and she absolutely loves salad. I make all kinds of them for her. My poor darling daughter.. I don’t have any of these problems, thank you ma’am! I am glad I learned something today

• erika mc March 23, 2014, 3:03 pm

when I weighed 200 pounds no one dared look at me and say “you’re too fat” but now that i’m 130, I hear “you’re too skinny” every…damn…day. and god forbid I mention that I watch what I eat (i have to or I’ll be 200 again) “*gasp* you turned down a donut? you must have body image issues because you’re skinny and can eat what you want, how dare you turn down a donut!”

• Twenty6pt2 March 23, 2014, 6:43 pm

This is GREAT! Finally a skinny lady speaks out! What about those who give skinnies encouragement that we’ll soon be fat too. Like, “just wait until you have a baby…”; “Just wait until you turn 30…”; Just wait until you turn 40…”; “just wait until you turn 50…”; just wait until you go through menopause…” KEEP WAITING! This is what they are wishing for, for us to become FAT! It’s pure envy and we have to feel sorry for them. BUT THE TRUE QUESTION IS: “Are we really skinny or are we NORMAL? America has become fat. In other countries where I’ve been, skinny is the norm.

• JustBNme April 18, 2014, 1:12 pm

Sooooooo true! At 44 I’ve been told all those things…even “wait til you get married”. Whatever!

• Bulma April 1, 2014, 4:58 am

I totally agree with you. What I hate most is the constant bugging to eat, and trust me I eat a lot, more than my fat ass so called friends!!! Love your post. 🙂

• JustBNme April 18, 2014, 1:10 pm

Yeah I get so sick of people not thinking we have any problems just because the rest of the world is fat and on diets. They also think because we are tiny that we are in shape or healthy. Skinny girls have health challenges too and we can be out of shape without being fat. I am 44 and 126 pounds. Then as a black woman it’s hard because we are usually known for our shape and thickness. Hate it! Glad to see there is a spot for us to vent our frustrations.

• Jessica May 28, 2014, 5:37 am

I’m 45 years old with two teenage kids, 5 feet 3 1/2 inches tall and weighs 103 lbs. I used to weigh 99 lbs at 42 years old. I was even born 4 lbs 2 oz. My current waistline is 24 1/4 inches. Poeple have called me malnourished but I eat every three hours. After having eaten, two half inch steaks, 5 tiger prawns with brocolli and rice for dinner with snacks three hours prior, my in laws always pushes me to eat more and if I refuse, make all sorts of comments. I feel being bullied sometimes. Wish people would stop making comments like “doesnt your husband get mad at you, you are too thin”, do you eat?, you will be blown away by wind? Cant change the world but just wish sometimes, people will be more sensitive but at the same time, gives me a different perspective on what to teach my kids on how to treat other people.

• celene June 14, 2014, 4:54 am

Lol! Omg that cracked me up. Those are all true. Oh the struggle is real! Haha

• Paige July 4, 2014, 12:57 am

LOL I could not stop laughing the whole time because every single one of these is true! Thank you for understanding!

• Rachael August 10, 2014, 1:20 pm

How people give you the evil eye when you walk into a gym and some of your frienemies stopped being your friends cos you’re too skinny to belong in their group. The good thing is i have a very nice shape butt thou…… (Thanks Mom) 🙂 I am 27yo and i weigh 97lb. Love how i look!!! Does who hate are just jelly

• misstish August 10, 2014, 3:11 pm

I weighed 125lbs. from the time I was about 14, right up until I had my son when I was 26. I’m a southerner, and I grew up in NYC a midst a heavily immigrant (African, West Indian, Hispanic) population. North or South, I got a lot of “You’re cute, but you’re so skinny!” When I was pregnant with my son, at eight and a half months, I was 135lbs. My doctors were threatening to put me on bedrest if I didn’t manage to gain some weight, and I used to get the collective mega side-eye from the other chicks in the clinic who were waddling in at 180lbs. plus. Well, I guess I can’t call it baby-weight 21yrs. later, and there’s not an African or West Indian man who can resist me. I’m not feeling swimsuits these days, but I”m kinda cute in sweaters, jeans, tights and, yes, boots.

• ASM October 29, 2014, 8:59 pm

Girl yasssss to all of this lol!!! I’m tall and skinny so me and knee boots never get along 🙁

• Eric Echwaaz March 21, 2015, 3:13 am

This is still great post Luvvie!

• Deanna April 24, 2015, 6:41 pm

So true! Thank you for writing this, it’s excellent. I also have problems with sitting on plastic chairs, benches, and taking baths. I’m surprised I don’t have bruises on my arse. But I HAVE had a mild bruising on my spine… 🙁

And another: you’re always the person who has to climb into/through things when people get locked out of their house.

• elisa May 18, 2015, 6:47 pm

one problem you forgot is “you can’t have insecurities, you’re skinny”
    just because i am skinny, doesn’t mean i am perfect.

• Iris Kirkland July 31, 2015, 9:50 pm

Yup. I can relate. Here’s one that’s missing. When they try to get you to run and get something because you’re the skinny one in the family. I always wondered if they ran to go get it themselves how much weight they would loose. But that’s family they got you running around cause you the skinny one.

• Jane January 16, 2016, 9:36 pm

Reading my mail!! You forgot this one: I pay just the same for a size 00 Petite as someone in 24XXL. What???!!

• El April 22, 2016, 8:14 pm

OMG … EVERYTHING is on friggin point!!!

• Mary July 27, 2016, 5:12 am

I can relate to all of it, I’ve been skinny all my life and have endured the venom of others all 56 years of my life. Now, I just don’t give a rat’s ass what other people think. A few years ago I was having trouble putting on weight, loss of appetite and health issues, I’m 5’7″ and I weighed about 105, and when I’d mention to someone that it’s hard to gain weight, oh they would say “I wish I had your problem”, uh, no you don’t, it’s just as hard to gain weight as it is to take it off, believe me! I had to go to a nutritionist for help. Just an hour ago I was looking at my naked, scrawny, pasty-white body and thinking about how lately I’ve developed a gut. I don’t drink. I don’t over eat. I look at myself and I swear to God I have a big gut, compared to the rest of my body, it just sticks right out there. BUT if I say to anyone “my gut is getting big”, oh you’d think I said the room was on fire or something. They’re like, dripping with sarcasm “yeah, right”. Or they get angry. Hey don’t get mad at me, I’m just telling my truth. Oh man I’ve written a book here. Anyway, I love your blog and your posts on facebook, I just read your about page, and when I read about The Red Pump Project I was so touched. My brother died from HIV/AIDS, so any and every bit of help that others do to fight the spread of this disease qualifies them for angel status in my book. Thank you.

• Tanya October 5, 2016, 2:53 pm

Luvvie, I am 4’10 and 97 pounds. Since I’ve been about 12 everyone has been telling me about it. And people feel perfectly comfortable commenting on other parts of my body as well. I’m 45. Apparently this is the age you are supposed to start being invisible, but people still notice my size and want to tell me about it. I guess I should be grateful?

Also, I put on extra lotion after my shower.

Your book is excellent.

• Gallllll October 26, 2016, 6:00 pm

Being skinny is okay! I know, I have been skinny all my life. Aside from all the teasing by people the baggy clothing and always being cold it not bad! To all the skinny girls out there you are all beautiful don’t change.:)) Plist us skinny girls look great in tights 😉

• Anna February 8, 2017, 10:12 pm

I can not tell you how much I relate to this post. I was DROP DEAD laughing my head off because of how accurate this is. You are a true inspiration to me because you are genuine and so freaking genius!!!

I first saw you at the Women’s Watermark Conference and you were so inspirational to me! You are freaking amazing!! And I absolutely LOVE your book.

Not only am I girl and proud, I’m skinny and proud. #BEBOLD

• Janis February 17, 2017, 3:53 pm

Just found this, and it’s so true — although I’d question the “two skinny people snuggling” part. Believe me, one skinny woman and one man who isn’t is no picnic. It feels like you’re trapped under a bus.

There’s also the skinny-and-tall issue. I can get tall sizes sometimes, but not a size 4. I’ve never had pants or sleeves that fit in my life unless I’ve personally knitted the damned things, and I’m 50. AGH. I’m petite in one direction only.

And yes to the comments about how I have to eat more, and I’m “built like a boy.” Yeah? Well, you’re built like three boys, so STFU.

MENU