Regina King as Huey and Riley

I’ve been a fan of the Boondocks since it was a comic strip. I’d read it in the Chicago Sun-Times every morning on my commute on my way to school (as a junior and senior). When it became a show, you know I had to watch it. My thoughts on the show are a different story (yes, the strip was SO much better). But I did enjoy it.

I came across this clip of Regina King doing the voice of Huey and Riley, and I LOVE IT!! I’m so fascinated by voiceovers, and watching folks make 2D characters come to life. Watch this.

AWESOME! The way her voice changes so smoothly between the characters? YES REGINA!!! Also, watching Riley’s voice come out of her is a trip. And the expressions on her face as she reads the lines. Coolest stuff EVER.

Oh and the day I watched the ep where riley called Usher a “sexy flexy ass n*gga” I DIED!!! LMAO.

I just wanted to share it with y’all. Does this amuse you as much as it did me? And who’s YOUR favorite Boondocks character? I like Riley for his ratchetness but Huey has my heart.

Comments on this entry are closed.

• mr_rayiii March 19, 2012, 7:53 am

Riley has to be my favorite character because he is SO animated, but Ruckus is by far the funniest. When he pulled out a whip, a noose, a branding iron, and a JOB APPLICATION to strike fear in a ni@@a’s heart my bladder had a seizure. Powerful ni@@adry….

• Joanndith September 13, 2012, 4:28 pm

YES!! I bout DIED the day I saw that episode. Lol.

• Camielle March 19, 2012, 7:56 am

Thank you!! I have never been able to wrap my mind around Regina King doing both voices. I could hear it a tiny bit with Huey, but not with Riley at all. Being able to watch her do it was HILARIOUS!

Huey is my favorite…I could see myself having a son like him. Riley’s lil bad a$$ cracks me up though!

• Kenya March 19, 2012, 8:15 am

This was great! Thanks for sharing. Regina King is amazing and I about died when she did that last bit about Riley being out Rick Rossin’. Hilarious. I miss that show. Flaws and all it did raise up intriguing commentary about the African-American community, hip-hop and pop culture influences, racial politics and the like.

• Tiffany March 19, 2012, 8:26 am

I love me some Riley. That R. Kelly episode when he stud Tom Dubois all the way down was classic. Riley may be young and ratchet, but he is NOT dumb! But, as you said Huey has my heart and has since back in 2002 when I first discovered Boondocks.I used to be real militant in my college years, so Huey spoke to my soul, and still does.

P.S. remember Huey’s best friend Ceasar from the cmic strip. I wish they had included him in the series.

• Tiffany March 19, 2012, 8:27 am

*shut

• The Brown Babe March 19, 2012, 2:24 pm

“BROOKLYN!!!”

*Shout out to Ceasar*

• Krista March 19, 2012, 8:46 am

I never would have guessed, I always saw her name in the credits, but I never knew what she did. But. DAYUM.
    I’m straight, but this video has convinced me to go gay for Regina. Luuvie, you’re invited to the wedding.
    #IREGRETNOTHING.

• Cheekie March 19, 2012, 11:23 am

That’s super dope! I’ve always loved VO actors as well and even lowkey always wanted to be one as a kid. Cree Summer is my role model! And when I found out about Regina King I couldn’t believe I could love her any more than I did!

Great clip!

• Erin March 19, 2012, 12:19 pm

I had to go look up Cree Summers’ IMDB… Who woulda thought. All the childhood cartoons plus A Different World of course lol. Mindblown.

• Capricorn March 19, 2012, 3:52 pm

Man, Cree STAYS working! Once I heard Susie Carmichael, I KNEW it was my girl Freddie Brooks!!
        Her residual checks are NICE!!! lol

• Cheekie March 20, 2012, 10:28 am

Right?!! Susie Carmichael is one of my favorite characters of hers. But yeah, she has that trademark voice that you can spot a mile away! She is sooooo dope.

• Lisa March 19, 2012, 11:24 am

I never woulda thunk it?!?!? Regina?!?!?! I knew she was a baaad ass, but this right hur just drove the nail straight in! I looove her!!!

• The Brown Babe March 19, 2012, 2:27 pm

I’m a fan of the strips, but never really fell in love with the show – though I watched…and laughed!

VO is definitely a skill and Regina King is definitely a talent – she pulls out all her thug in the studio!

• IfYouEverComeBack March 19, 2012, 7:04 pm

Okay I fell in love with The Boondocks(the show in College) and The Comic strip just recently. Personally I think the comic strip was better than the show and that the first season of the show was the best. Look I love Regina King and this just made it more, it’s a trip to watch her do the voices.

My fave Character from the comic Strip is Casear and from the show is Jasmine.

Anyone else wish they would bring back the comic strip?

• Marcie March 20, 2012, 7:59 am

At first, I didn’t know that was her voice, and when I found it, I was so pleased about her progress. When she first hit the screen, she could NOT act. Remember 227?

• Sharon March 20, 2012, 12:12 pm

Yeah, I must admit Riley makes me laugh the most, well he and Pop. I preferred the strip too, mostly because it could be so topical while it takes the animation awhile to work on. I think my favorite comic was when they decided to find Condoleeza Rice a man and called Bishop Don Juan to help. I miss both the comic and the series.

• DivaKattGoddess March 20, 2012, 6:20 pm

I absolutely love Boondocks as you can tell by my twitter timeline…

A Pimp Named Slickback is a fav

As is Riley because he is a G

And Huey because he is GOAT!!!!

I have all 3 seasons on DVD and host an annual Boondocks marathon brunch!!!

• momandteacher March 22, 2012, 7:01 pm

I loved the strip and used to read it with my students. I had one student who had the biggest ‘fro and I used to call him Huey. I loved Jasmine though.

• Up4Dsn April 4, 2012, 7:07 pm

That’s amazing! I’m so glad you shared it. She is truly talented. I can only imagine the funny stuff she says as Riley that doesn’t even make it into the show.

• J December 27, 2016, 1:03 am

Please Bring The Boondocks Back! I haven’t laughed so much in my life! Me and my boyfriend was ROLLING ON THE FLOOR… At the “Sexy Flexy” comment! Good stuff!

MENU