TV

We Need an Apology for Cita’s World

In September 1999, BET introduced us all to Cita’s World, a TV show hosted by a computer-generated character named Cita. Cita wore cropped tops, a miniskirt and her hair was gelled down with a part. LAIDT like lowered expectations. On complete virtual reality hoodrat status.

Cita's World

She was basically a walking stereotype, talking real loud, smacking her mouth and swerving her neck. It lasted for three and a half years and I’m not even sure how. Well, I know how.

There have been a couple of times when people who’ve never heard my voice have tweeted to me that I remind them of Cita from BET’s Cita’s World. And they didn’t fully understand why I promptly cussed them out because I think that’s the ultimate insult. ULTIMATE. You #minuswell tell me I’m aging like Lindsay Lohan. iREBUKE IT!

If you are wondering why I am so passionate about my hate of this comparison, please watch the video below.

OHMYGAH! Cita is so embarrassing that I want BET to apologize to ALL of us for ever having her be a THING. I could only watch 3 minutes of this before I had to press stop. It was that terrible.

How awful is she? it’s like they took every sinle bad stereotype about Black women, exaggerated it by 15 levels and created this character to spite us all.

“MISS CITA, BABBAYYY!!!” She then threatens to smack anyone who is just tuning in, and she spends the whole time doing the “Shoop” hip swerve back and forth. As if she can’t TRULY make a point without using her hips as some sort of exclamation point.

Chile, she even kicked out towards the camera. CITA! You got on a MINISKIRT! Put your virtual Love Pocket away!

Tacky and I Hate You gif

I can’t even imagine how the recording sessions for Cita went. The woman who voiced her must have been told “we have to do that take over. You sounded far too articulate.” Also, I hope they paid her well for this. Because my goodness! Is it work she’s proud of? Lemme not hate. Girl, make your money. Don’t let it make you.

They should say sorry to Black women for portraying them like this. And then apologize to everyone else for lying to them. Are there “Citas” in this world? Yes. Are they a majority? HELL TO THE NAWL, Bobby!

Cita is like what white folks would think Black women are like if they’ve NEVER encountered any Black women EVER. And the fact that two Black men came up with her is just a mess. Also, she was truly the beginning of BET’s descent into Den of Iniquity status.

I really wonder how this show lasted as long as it did. For 3.5 years, did no one talk about how terrible Cita was? I can’t remember, because I was in high school then. And I probably was entertained by it. Because I didn’t know no better.

But yeah, did y’all used to watch Cita’s world? Don’t worry. I won’t judge you. Many of us did. Also, did you watch the clip above and *face palm* like I did? Also, do you think a show like Cita’s World could exist today?

Possible.

Olivia, You in Danger, Girl! Scandal Episode 218 Recap

Phaedra and Porsha Let Kenya HAVE IT on RHOA Reunion Part 1

1. April 7, 2013 at 2:41 pm

I really do hate you for this! However I laughed.. XOXO

2. dmaclee
    April 7, 2013 at 2:42 pm

Luvvie, I forgot all about this horror. I watched 3 seconds and was reminded how terrible this was. That .gif is everything though. I love “School of Rock”.

3. Tosha
    April 7, 2013 at 2:48 pm

Chile I was waiting on her three kids to come out the back asking for cereal. That would have completed the stereotype perfectly. I completely forgot about this hoodrat and now I’m mad at you for conjuring up this memory. BET needs to be thrashed thoroughly.

• Terri
      April 7, 2013 at 3:00 pm

^what she said

iAm sick over this right now! I used to watch this when I was in high school. I don’t remember it being this AWFUL!!

*wall slides* for the portrayal of my race and gender

• Rahrahluv
      April 7, 2013 at 3:08 pm

hahaahahaha @ kids and cereal! And Jesus wept softly in the corner…

4. April 7, 2013 at 2:53 pm

Gurrrrrl…just when I had gotten over that travesty of a “show” on that travesty of a “network” here you come opening up old wounds! LOL I thought I was the only one to think Cita was a disgrace!! I mean, SOMEbody had to have been watching it for her to have stayed on the air as long as she did. I guess the only saving grace is that she wasn’t a real person. Well, we’ve all known our share of Citas, but at least there was no flesh and blood individual hosting such foolishness. When I first saw your post, the first thing I thought was, “ERMAHGOSH, Cita was the original definition of ratched!” LOL Thanks for another great post Luvvie!!!

5. Kendra
    April 7, 2013 at 2:53 pm

OMG! I used to try and sneak videos when I worked the front desk at a college gym. I was so embarrassed when Cita was on the screen that I would mute it or just turn the dang thang off! and i was only 17. Come on BET!!

6. GoldenLady00
    April 7, 2013 at 2:58 pm

In the name of Booker T. Washington, Mary McLeod Bethune, and W.E.B. DuBois, BET I REBUKE thee!!

7. Viimo
    April 7, 2013 at 2:58 pm

Unfortunately I used to watch this Tom foolery as a teenager and loved every second of it. Watching it now I couldn’t even last a full minute smh. What’s worse is I used to make my little brother watch it with me and since then he has refused to date black women. BET owes a huge apology because Cita broke my little brother lol

• Jazzy
      April 16, 2013 at 5:37 pm

BET went to shit when they lost Donnie Simpson!

8. Mimi
    April 7, 2013 at 3:06 pm

I know the woman who played Cita IRL from college. She went to Sidwell Friends for High School, where the Obama girls and Chelsea Clinton attend, so you know she was an excellent actress to pull off this buffoonery.

• birdielee
      April 7, 2013 at 5:51 pm

Cita went to Sidwell?! HA! I did think as I watched the clip that she had a DC accent.

• Mick
        April 7, 2013 at 9:39 pm

Wasn’t CITA on that Pepa reality show? The girl who let the guy lick her toes?

9. Tonia
    April 7, 2013 at 3:13 pm

I only got through 2 minutes of this trash. She was giving me a migraine.

• shadgg02
      April 7, 2013 at 3:27 pm

1:28 was my limit….so many therapy sessions wasted. Thanks Luvvie… *in the corner shaking w/ Huck* whatiswegon’do?

• April 7, 2013 at 4:34 pm

I think I may have everyone beat. I only made it to the 0:24 mark,I truly forgot just how bad that show was. Cita use to come on super early in the morning here, and I’d turn it on while I got ready. She didn’t bother me then, but MY GOD! She is terrible. If I wasn’t already done with BET, this would be it for me.

10. Tiffany A
    April 7, 2013 at 3:20 pm

The voice of Cita! Kali Troy

She looks like she know better!!!

11. MsZ
    April 7, 2013 at 3:27 pm

She reminds me of Shenaenae’s friend Laquita (from Martin) http://youtu.be/4-JlzwXzV-Q?t=1m56s Her voice is like nails on a chalkboard to me. Straight hood. No manners. Ridiculous.

12. Ashley
    April 7, 2013 at 3:53 pm

I actually liked this show – of course, I was only 12 (yes, I know) when this show came out.

Luvvie do you remember the show “Hey Monie?” It came on at night on BET too. http://soup2nuts.tv/hey_monie.html

• Shazza
      April 8, 2013 at 8:29 am

Hey Monie! Done by my girls Frangela! I’m still hoping a dvd of this show gets released.

13. April 7, 2013 at 3:57 pm

I’m so glad I didn’t have cable through the 2000’s! I don’t watch BET, but I’m glad I missed her! All she needed was to be pregnant, sipping on a 40 with a few kids at her feet. I miss when BET was just a weekend channel with Teen Summit, music videos, gospel music and That’s My Mama reruns.

14. Jabari
    April 7, 2013 at 4:02 pm

Chile, Cita’s was the ratch before the ratch was….

15. Zarina
    April 7, 2013 at 4:44 pm

I only got through 56 seconds. Terrible.

16. April 7, 2013 at 4:53 pm

Cita’s World was the precursor to BET coming up with Uncut …
    “hmmm … what other ghetto programming can we create?”

17. April 7, 2013 at 5:11 pm

Cita was sheer embarrassing ratchetness. But could Cita exist now? Sadly yes. Just turn on reality TV. Or look at World Wide Hip- Hop. I’m a writer/animator and was recently approached by a major online network to do a Cita-type character for one of their youtube “stars.” Actually, the character they wanted me to do made Cita look like Masterpiece Theater. Needless to say, I turned it down. I was pretty surprised they contacted me in the first place (I have an animated show that, basically, calls out ratchetness and makes fun of it.) Bottom line: I’m not doing that show, but they’ll get someone else to do it.

18. April 7, 2013 at 5:13 pm

Agreed! I will admit I watched Cita’s World faithfully every afternoon at 3pm when I got home from school. My mind was poisoned from the start. Cita embodied the word ratchet and we owe her credit… lol. Good post.

19. April 7, 2013 at 6:07 pm

Hilarious! I hated Cita & it was on while I was in High School…I also hated hits from the streets. Oh BET…

20. Dedra
    April 7, 2013 at 9:11 pm

No she didn’t smack her lips! Somebody get my tennis shoes and my vaseline . . . we gon roll up on BET and demand an apology!

21. Angela
    April 7, 2013 at 10:00 pm

I got through three minutes of that youtube video & Cita was right about Tyrese’s skin being greasy like Crisco though.

22. lilsoulsista
    April 8, 2013 at 4:02 am

…I can’t even understand her words… every third word was trashed. I didn’t have cable until 2002, but I remember visiting my cousins & seeing her on television. I thought it was a bad joke (like a segment to a show). I didn’t realize it was an actual show! I imagine BET recieved plenty letters…they just had more viewers. Ugh. Since I’m caught up on Racket & the Geek I’m going to go put on some NPR to get that out of my head!

23. Angel
    April 8, 2013 at 6:20 am

This post is SO TRUE! They do owe us an apology. Unfortunately it was Taraji P. Henson that voiced that character 🙁

• April 8, 2013 at 8:32 am

Taraji P. Henson didn’t voice Cita. Kittie did.

24. Shazza
    April 8, 2013 at 8:25 am

OMG, Luvvie, you are NOTHING like Cita! I don’t know what those people are smoking but damn! She reminds me of Riley from The Boondocks (and I certainly know people who LOVED him) Some people just embrace the most ratchet and BET certainly did/does.

25. HowlingBanshee
    April 8, 2013 at 8:54 am

Wow, I’d forgotten about Cita. And that .gif – why is our girl doing the Synchronized Bobble Head with li’l dude? She is feeling what he’s saying so hard she has to co-sign with body language and all.

• lnedykstra
      April 8, 2013 at 10:03 am

She sure is!!!!!!!!! Good eye!

• mz.niecy
        April 8, 2013 at 3:50 pm

She kinda doing it like it was “supposed to be her line first” and she just wanted to make sure he said it right lol…i know this movie too…just can’t remember what it is right now (and I hate that)

26. Rachmo
    April 8, 2013 at 11:02 am

O.M.G. I TOTALLY remember this and as a wee child thinking…ummmmm what in all the fucks…and yet I still watched it? Maybe it was a way to offset some of my bougie?

27. Rachmo
    April 8, 2013 at 11:07 am

I’m sorry I have to comment again. Luvvie I think I’ve blocked out a lot of the childhood trauma that BET has done to me. It’s all come back in one terrible Youtube video. I think BET owes me money. When she said “jumpin jumpin” I might have fallen out at work. I’m going to go home and read some Russian Literature now…

28. ChunkyDlyte
    April 8, 2013 at 3:03 pm

WHY WHY WHY did you do this to us Luvvie? She is worse than the Popeye’s Chicken slave mammy/wench commercials (which I LOATHE) because every time she talks about “my chicken” knowing good and damn well her ass don’t own Popeye’s, it makes my blood boil just like watching Cita used to make me see red in high school. I hated Cita with every uppity bone in my body and watching that made the hate real all over again, lol! Luvvie got me having Vietnam flashbacks, rocking like Huck in the corner, lol!

Now I must cleanse myself of the memories of Cita by watching a Mellisa Harris Perry marathon, the entire Eyes on the Prize collection (Since I gotta wait 3 weeks for Scandal, I got time, lol) and stare at pics of Mrs. Obama and the girls just to get my mind right. Sigh, you aint have to slay us like this Luvvie, lol!

29. mz.niecy
    April 8, 2013 at 3:47 pm

anybody that made it past the first :11 got me beat, I. Stopped. The. Video. at. :11.

I hated Cita then, hate her/it now.

And to whomever told Luvvie she sounds like that should be skin stripped and remade to look just like Cita, because she does NOT sound anything like that.

30. Cosmolude
    April 8, 2013 at 11:14 pm

I HATED this show!! I was in high school when it was on and I thought it was terrible. I couldn’t understand anything she was saying so I would mute the t.v when she was talking. I thought all that loud, obnoxious commentary was just interrupting the songs/videos. Some of my friends thought she was hilarious but I wouldn’t know since the t.v was on mute.

31. Coco
    April 8, 2013 at 11:51 pm

I used to watch it. I thought she was rowdy and ratchet as he11 (and a bit thirsty), but it was something to look at in between videos.

32. Leah
    April 9, 2013 at 9:59 am

gosh this used to make me so uncomfortable when it would come on the tv in the student center at college. BET has quite a lot to apologize for (last 7 awards shows, i would add) but this was the worst.

On the other hand, I used to fall out laughing at hitz from the streets.

33. April 9, 2013 at 10:45 am

I’m not going to lie. When I first saw your avatar logo, I immediately thought of Cita. My second thought was my throwback Yahoo Messenger avatar who coincidently had the same skin tone and hair you have in yours. But you can’t blame us for making the comparison. We didn’t have a lot of black cartoons in the world back then, and when it comes to black women cartoons it was Cita and Trudy Proud in the lead for most recognized.

I will also disclose that I had forgot Cita’s purpose or what her personality was right. 30 seconds of that video had me wanted to gouge my eyes out. Not only does BET owe us an apology but it needs to somehow find a way to give me the hour a day, monday-friday I spent after school feeding this poison to my brain in anticipation of AJ and Free to come and sit on the 106&Parks couch. Just Horrid!

• Adwoa
      April 11, 2013 at 2:18 pm

Shoutout to Trudy Proud #doe!!

34. KemaB
    April 9, 2013 at 12:48 pm

That school of rock gif and players club quote are everything……

Oh Cita, Cita, Cita, I thinly many of us did try to block this dark period of BET out. I ain’t even gonna lie Craig I watched Cita I can neither confirm nor deny if I enjoyed it though my selective amnesia acts up when I try to remember those dark days.

She was just no and her voice was loud and grating and I hated her outfits me thinks BET owes us some reparations for this……..

35. blackbutterflyny
    April 9, 2013 at 1:00 pm

Cita was simply the prototype for all those ratched azz females loitering the networks on those “reality” shows.

36. Kerry
    April 9, 2013 at 3:56 pm

Why for some reason now she reminds me of Jada Pinkett in Low Down Dirty Shame….hmmmm….

37. April 12, 2013 at 3:37 pm

I must have grown up pretty sheltered, because I didn’t even know that this monstrosity had ever existed. Now that I do know, I just want to cry and break things. I got to about 1:30 on the video before I had to turn that mess off for fear of damaging my computer in a rage meltdown. I can’t remember the last time I’ve hated something so viscerally. I just…you know what? I can’t. I just…can’t. I have to go lie down now for a little while. I think Cita has given me the vapors.

38. August 30, 2013 at 2:38 pm

I think you guys are going a little too far with this. Cita was a CARTOON CHARACTER….She was supposed to be over the top and off the wall. Cita actually taught me how NOT to act. I wouldn’t dare go in public smacking my lips and talking like I don’t know proper English. She was supposed to be entertaining and she was. I say get out of your feelings and see the humor in Cita. Yes, she was every black stereotype all rolled into one…..BUT NOBODY WANTED TO BE LIKE HER!!!!! So I say she accomplished exactly what BET wanted her to accomplish.

• Bailey95
      May 4, 2014 at 11:52 am

THANK YOUUU!!! lol

39. kittie KaBoom
    August 9, 2014 at 9:09 pm

Well, well, well…it is great to know that “our people” are still very articulately expressing their opinions!
    For the record I AM MOST CERTAINLY A REAL PERSON, & I played the character of CITA through virtual reality rendering & obviously voice over work.
    I honestly love hearing both the good & the bad when it comes to the show. The will always detractors as well as fans & I take pleasure in knowing a constructive conversation is created as a result.
    I’m only putting in MY two cents, because plans are in the works to reprise this character ON A DIFFERENT NETWORK AS A DIFFERENT KIND OF CHARACTER.
    I am a comedic actress, so this was appealing to me because it enabled me to showcase “DC speak” for the masses & inject humor & stereotypical behavior for entertainment value.
    BTW: CITA’S backstory includes a degree in English (like that irony??) & countless references to current & historical issues in an attempt to educate & inform. Our core demographic were kids, so it was imperative to us to try to use the platform to be relatable to the next generation. At the end of the day folks, it was comedy & it’s purpose was to entertain in the most ratchet, ridiculous way!!!!
    Thanks for reading,
    kittie

40. kittie KaBoom
    August 10, 2014 at 11:01 am

Mimi-thanx for the s/o, but I did not go to Sidwell. I went to NCS (National Cathedral School), then Clark Atlanta U for a yr & finished up @ UDC (University of the District of Columbia) w/a BA n Print/Broadcast Journalism.

41. kittie KaBoom
    August 10, 2014 at 11:04 am

Aaaaaand yes; I was on the reality show LETS TALK ABOUT PEP w/Pepa, Joumana Kidd & Jaque Reid.

42. Vince
    June 4, 2015 at 1:29 am

I’m an African American male from the DMV and I recognize the voice actress’s accent. This show was from the early 2000’s and I still know females who talk & act like this in the DC/Maryland area. I don’t look down on it or feel disgusted by it, sometimes I actually enjoy the way my black women talk with so much energy & passion. Not to the full extent like how Cita talks like that all the time 24/7, but it’s refreshing. You shouldnt feel so disgusted because females like this do exist; I’m friends with some & some are my family members. Instead embrace it. The way white women talk is boring anyway 😉 lol

43. JME
    March 28, 2017 at 4:01 pm

Now I’m wondering if it is Taraji….I need the answers.