So Kanye West was on Jimmy Kimmel Last Night
Last night, Kanye West went on Jimmy Kimmel‘s show to talk about their recent beef. Some people think it was the most brilliant interview they’ve ever seen and some wanna get Kanye to his therapist ASAPtually. We’ve all become armchair psychiatrists in the process.
Let me give a quick synopsis for those who missed the drama from last week.
Kanye gave an interview on BBC where he was being, well, Kanye (so extra). Jimmy did a skit where he had a little boy playing Kanye saying what he said in the interview. Adult Kanye got mad and went to Twitter for an ALL-CAPS rant about Jimmy. He was HEATED and the internet wrote many articles, some saying Jimmy was out of line and some saying Kanye needs to have a seat.
And here we are.
So Kanye shows up on Jimmy rocking a denim tunic and Joey Lawrence’s jeans from “Blossom” and I let him cook. Because, well, I liked the tunic and wondered if it came in a size extra schmedium. I’ma check the Ralph Lauren website. BTW, if you wanna watch the interview, Mediaite has it.
The interview was really colorful though, as Kanye expressed himself in his best Kanye way. And it was great to see the two men hash out their issues, in a calm way. Kanye did admit that he may have overreacted and Jimmy seems to have been sorry for offending ‘Ye. But there were many moments of side-eye from my end.
* Kanye said he doesn’t do publicity stunts. THE DEVIL IS A LAH! As if his last three years haven’t read like one giant publicity stunt. I need him to STOP (drop, shut em down and open up reality).
* Kanye told Jimmy that since they KNOW each other, he doesn’t understand why Jimmy would make fun of him. Ummm… Mr. West, he’s a comedian and you’re RIPE for roast. Kimmel tells Kanye that he always does skits where he replaces celebrities with kids who say their words. He even did it to Lady Gaga.
* Kanye was talmbout “I’m not a rapper. I’m a messenger.” Lemme find out he’s also one of Jesus’ disciples because he will just stop short of that.
* Kanye thinking everyone expects him to be fake humble when folks like ME are just wondering why he ALWAYS gotta proclaim his genius. Stand in your awesome, sir, because if you don’t think you’re great, then who will? But LAWD. We get it.
Every interview though, bro? EVERY ONE? I guess.
* Kanye saying Kim Kardashian deserves a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. FAH WUT?!? The only thing Kim K deserves a star on the Walk of Fame for is staying relevant this long with no discernible talent. I’m not hating on her sex tape no more because that’s so 2007. I’ont curr. We grown. Whatevs. But what has Kim shown us she’s good at, and what does Kanye think she needs to get a star for?
I’m not mad that Kanye West loves his girl. I’m just wondering why he’s tryna force the rest of us to. We BARELY tolerate HIM as it is.
* The white mouth dandruff that stayed on Kanye’s lips was so distracting for the second part of the interview. I wanted to use a postcard to scrape it off.
* Kanye saying “Who do you know is known more for clothes than me?” EVERYONE, Kanye. Everyone is known more for clothes than you. Stahp. Also, he keeps using his internship at Fendi as some sort of receipts for why folks need to take him serious as a fashion designer. I once had an internship at this music company for 3 months. I SHOULD BE THE VICE PRESIDENT OF YMCMB NOW!
* Kanye told Jimmy that in the fashion industry, there’s snobbery and “I’m not into snobbery.” HAS HE MET HIS TWEETS? Nawl, Kanye! You can’t say you’re not into snobbery when you tweet stuff like “fur pillows aren’t comfortable to sleep on.” Sounds like since people aren’t taking HIM serious as a designer, then they’re snobbing him. So he doesn’t like when it’s done to him but he can brag all day long about laying on Lanvin sheets while wiping his yansh with Vuitton toilet paper. Ok.
The fact that Kanye was talking in rapid speed and non-stop for 5 minutes was like WHOA. Content might not be problematic because really, it was Kanye being Kanye. It was as if he was just letting his mouth expose his stream of consciousness. Did he make some good points about race, the entertainment industry and how celebs are treated? Yes. But someone made the perfect point on Twitter last night with:
Kanye is Carlton when he took Will's drugs at the dance.
— BIG MAMA. (@HUMonTHESE) October 10, 2013
Basically. I was at home taking deep breaths in his honor.
That interview had me wondering where Iyanla was because methinks her services are needed at the West-Kardashian household. And many people disagree with this because they say Kanye is just expressing himself and declaring his greatness and folks have a problem with a Black man being unapologetically confident in his awesome. Folks have said we’re being hypercritical of ‘Ye JUST BECAUSE he’s a Black man and I disagree.
For ME, that’s not the issue here.
Who is the current spotlight of media? Kanye. Who do we get to see more of because he won’t sit down? Kanye. Who do we nitpick because it’s what we do with celebrities? Kanye. Remember when Brittany Spears was having her breakdown? Pretty sure similar convos happened with her.
It’s not about Kanye not being allowed to proclaim his genius. It’s about seeing someone talk for five minutes straight on national TV without taking a breath. It’s about seeing a grown man throw many public tantrums and realizing that he’s just a boy in an adult’s body.
Kanye might be a genius (this is up for debate. I don’t feel strongly about it either way) but he’s also immature as hell and his defenders act like we’re out of line for questioning his behavior.
Some of the folks saying we’re wrong for considering Kanye unhinged were quiet as the world called Lauryn Hill crazy. What does this have to do with the price of tea in China? There’s this really weird defensiveness that some of us get when Black men are critiqued by Black women. My girl VEG said it well on my Facebook wall with:
“Everyone wants to talk about Britney, Miley, et al when they cut up. We also have no problem talking about any number of black women when they do something wacky. But when Kanye acts like he’s on coke on national television, we can’t say nothing? Puhlease.”
Pretty much. Maybe I’m just not deep enough to understand Kanye, because I do admit that I’m shallower than a Snapple cap. But I’ll be that. But I’m concerned for the dude and I do think he needs to lay on a leather couch and talk out his feelings.
What are your thoughts on Kanye on Kimmel? Was it brilliant or did you think Kanye needed to occupy his therapist’s couch?