CultureFamous folksLetter

Dear King Children, You Better Not Sell Your Daddy’s Bible and Medal!

This sternly-worded letter has been on my spirit all week. Dr. Bernice King wrote a letter talmbout how her brothers are suing her to get her to transfer Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s Bible and Nobel Peace Prize medal to them so they can sell it. I was like WHAT THE DEUCE?!? So I’m here with words for the King Children, mostly Martin Luther King III (who I call Trey) and Dexter. But ALL of them need to get it together.

dr-king-kids

Dear Martin III (Trey), Dexter and Bernice,

Good morning/afternoon/evening, brethrens and sisthren. I am here because I read Bernice’s letter the other day informing everyone about the latest piece of drama popping up with the family.  Please have a seat so we can talk about it.

So you brothers are trying to sell your daddy’s traveling bible and his Noble Peace Prize medal to some private collector. And you let Bernice know on MLK Day. When she told yall “NAWL!” you then decided to sue her because the items are in her care. When did you do this? January 31st, of course.

BECAUSE YOU AIN’T GOT NO BEHAVIOR!

Why in the Holy hell… what in the…? WHY WOULD YOU WANT TO SELL DR. KING’S BIBLE AND NOBEL PEACE PRIZE?!?

why bow wow gif

This is the bible that your daddy carried around as he went through the country, working to improve the lives that Black folks were living in a system where the law explicitly demanded that we are degraded each and every day in every way. This is the same Bible that the first Black president EVER, President Barack Obama, swore on when he was taking his oath into office 45 years after MLK was assassinated.

You want to sell THAT Bible. And the Nobel Peace Prize medal your daddy received, which is one of the highest honors that a freedom fighter can get. YOU WANNA SELL THAT MEDAL!

If you don’t go sit in the corner some damb where and find some decency. That is plain and pure foolishness.

Those mementos aren’t just your father’s things. They’re an important part of history, and legally, they do belong to you as his heirs but sentimentally, they belong to all of us who are living freer today because of the work that MLK and other Movement heros. Don’t be tryna sell it to some private collector!

beyonce-not-here-for-that gif

You can’t be outchea treating Dr. King’s estate like a game of Monopoly that you’re losing because you can’t land on Boardwalk even though you own Park Place. And you’re the banker so you keep shorting everyone because you can’t deal. That brings me to the fact that this just reeks of greed and brokeness.

You can’t tell me that selling Dr. King’s belongings to a private collector is motivated by anything but money because there is LITERALLY nothing you will gain from it. In fact, everyone loses because you’ll be entrusting a piece of history to some random who can place it on hisher mantle. Or leave it in a yellow cab.

Why aren’t his things at the Smithsonian, anyway? Or even his museum in Memphis? If you wanna sell Dr. King’s stuff, sell them go to an establishment that exists to preserve history, not to some dude on eBay or Craigslist because you need some coins. That is just pitiful. I understand that you might be going through financial strains but this ain’t the way to win.

how you gon win gif

Now, fellas. Are you hard up on dineros? I checked Wikipedia for info on what you do and it’s basically “Use name for speaking engagements” so Iunno still. Trey, you bear your father’s name but not his charisma and charm and that’s gotta be hard because it means you live in his shadows even more than the others. However, what is it that you DO and why would yall sue your sister like this? I mean gahtdamb. Have you no shame?? Was Thanksgiving dinner 2013 especially contentious? Come on, fam!

Y’all be in too much mess much too often. You King Children have a bit of a reputation of being an overly litigious, perpetually squabbling and petulant pack and the public discordance is a taint on the name you carry. It’s such a shame too because you could be continuing your father’s work in a really meaningful way, but NAWL! Yall just can’t get it together and we collective shake our heads at you for it.

We shall overcome yall’s immaturity because this is just a mess. Bernice was right. Martin is probably doing the wop in his grave because of these shenanigans. Coretta is in Heaven sending you side-eyes of glory. AND it’s US History Month. Talk about adding insult to injury. Y’all couldn’t even wait for the month to run through before showing out.

You are better than this. That royal blood you got is better than this. We expect better from you.

Tyra Rooting For You gif

You are supposed to be representing a legacy, which is bigger than you, your name, and even your daddy. It’s a symbol of fighting for justice and peace in the face of hate. Meanwhile, I hate how y’all can’t have peace within yourselves and it ain’t no justice. Blood is supposed to be thicker than pettiness but all you wanna do is squabble. ALLATAHM! STAHP!

Sidenote: Bernice, you look JUST like Dr. King Jr! And you sound like him. When you spoke at the 50th anniversary of the March on Washington, I was like “That is her daddy’s child!” Whooo… meanwhile, Trey over there… I’ma stop. >__>

Long story short: y’all better not sell that Bible or medal to anybody but a museum or a center or something! And quit showing out! There’s important work to be done because that promised land that your daddy dreamed about? We ain’t there yet. And this in-fighting helps nobody.

Good day to you.

Luvvie

P.S. GET. IT. TOGETHER.

The Sochi Olympics is the Motel 6 of Sporting Events

IceJJFish on YouTube Has the Voice for Mute

1. February 7, 2014 at 11:35 am

I am truly saddened by this….can somebody please call mama Oprah or uncle Tyler Perry so they can give the King son’s the money they looking for and preserve HISTORY and keep these precious items safe. What is the $$ to sell such priceless items and WHY are they taking their own sister to court? I pray they resolve this in a peaceful manner and I pray the bible and the Nobel Peace Prize gets put on display somewhere safe here in Atlanta or Washington, DC in the African American History Museum the Smithsonian is building!

2. Stefiesweet
    February 7, 2014 at 11:35 am

Two questions: 1. Why did you address this letter to include Yolanda and 2. Why do you feel Bernice should take some of the blame for this situation?

• February 7, 2014 at 11:38 am

1. I added Yolanda by mistake so that’s fixed. Sorry about that.

2. ALLLLL of them need to get it together. As a group, they’re overly litigous as I said. This isn’t the first instance of them doing the most.

• Random Person
        May 6, 2014 at 12:55 pm

Amen to that Luvvie, trying to sell their papas bible. Thats cold, to the Lord and their father.

3. Brian Green
    February 7, 2014 at 11:36 am

ALl I can say is that THANK GOD Dr King, Coretta and Yolanda have all gone to glory and are not here to see this….It is 2014 – EVERYBODY needs to go get a job and stop living off the legacy! FOR REAL!

4. RavenJ
    February 7, 2014 at 11:38 am

I saw this earlier this week and all I could do was shake my head. Ugh…just ugh!!!! I’m with Sister King on this one.

5. April
    February 7, 2014 at 11:42 am

This is some FOOLISHNESS. I heard about it the other day and thought it was a joke smh. MLK and Coretta’s ghosts need to roll up and pop these boys upside their head. Tryna sell his stuff during Black History Month?! The disrespect is just… Lordt. #jesusbesomeguidance

6. peaches
    February 7, 2014 at 11:47 am

Is it wrong that I remember that episode of Top Model!?!#random
    But really, I need them to have several seats and have the bottom fall out!!!
    Git somewhere and Be Still!!!
    Somebody’s grandma is right now rocking back and forth looking at her MLK picture cussing!!!

7. February 7, 2014 at 11:52 am

Girl, you’ve made me laugh when I want to cry! Or shout, or scream, or something to get through to these knuckle heads. If only more of us understood the importance of preserving history, making sure that future generations understand the struggle so they can appreciate the success. Guess that’s why when some folks die they leave their kids some change, and send the rest of it to museums and charities! Gotta know if your kids got good sense…❤

8. nichole
    February 7, 2014 at 11:54 am

I can imagine how difficult it is to grow up in the shadow of a man who did so much for so many, even laying his life on the line. But this is not only ridiculous but as plain horrible.

Who is this private collector? Let his/her name be known! Because if it was Oprah, or Tyler or even Pres. Obama, we would breathe a sigh of relief because we know they are doing the right thing by those items. Why is this person so “private”? Huh?

I think these boys need to visit any one of the churches their daddy preached in and have a seat in the front pew.

9. MarvyMds
    February 7, 2014 at 12:17 pm

They need Iyanla to pull them aside and say “Beloveds, this is not right.”

The King children were cutting up even when their mother is still alive, and I think part of the problem is that they don’t have any real professions. Bernice is a reverend, but does she even have a church after parting ways with Eddie Long’s House of Down Low?

Any able-bodied adult needs a job to have some purpose. The lack of this, plus the formidable example set by Dr. King has got to be messing with them, but all his petty squabbling in the public eye needs to quit.

I hope Oprah or some other philanthropist buys the items and donates them back to the King Center or to the Smithsonian because this could drag on indefinitely.

Shame on those brothers for being so greedy. And on a side note, how weird is it that none of those King children ever married or had children until Trey finally took the plunge in 2006 when he was around 50. But I digress….

• MarvyMds
      February 7, 2014 at 12:26 pm

Whoops, line two should have said “…even when their mother was still alive.”

• Erin
      February 7, 2014 at 1:21 pm

I couldn’t read anything past “Eddie Long’s House of Down Low.”

• WhiskeyOnTheRox
      February 7, 2014 at 3:01 pm

“Eddie Long’s House of Down Low”. I. JUST. HOLLERED.

• Simone
      February 8, 2014 at 10:31 pm

I cackled at “Beloveds, this is not right.” LOL

10. February 7, 2014 at 12:23 pm

” this just reeks of greed and brokeness.” – And that’s it in a nutshell.

11. February 7, 2014 at 12:25 pm

I will have to agree with Chocl8t, this is a very interesting post.

12. Maria Barlow
    February 7, 2014 at 12:41 pm

They all need a timeout.. The brothers for being greedy knuckleheads and Bernice for putting family drama out to the public. SMH!!!

13. Terri
    February 7, 2014 at 12:41 pm

“You bear your daddy’s name but not his charisma or charm” #read lol!!

My parents are deceased and I have both of their bibles. Let somebody try to take these bibles from me…

• JustJozie
      February 9, 2014 at 1:38 pm

THIS!! I have my grandmothers bible, and I would never part with it. Ever! This is some sad, sad family drama.

14. march pisces
    February 7, 2014 at 12:50 pm

when i heard of this story my first thought was if yolanda was alive would all this foolishness be going on. my answer was heck naw! i heard her speak once and she struck me as the type that would have shut all this ish down…..

15. Tracey
    February 7, 2014 at 12:50 pm

I had a dream that the King children finally grew the hell up and decided to work together to preserve their father’s legacy.

Then I woke up this morning and read this story.

I never thought Dr. King’s dream would be killed by squabbling between his own children. They truly should be ashamed of themselves.

16. February 7, 2014 at 12:55 pm

Wow is all I can say….
    No wonder we still have the societal problems that we have today. These children especially who they are should be the foundation for our youth to look up to. But if they’re ratched and broken then guess what? You can’t be surprised as to how OTHER black folk act. Then again they are human and their namesake I can imagine has put a lot of pressure on them. I agree about them getting jobs. If they were bringing IN something then they wouldn’t have to stoop so low to do the unthinkable. I’m surprised that the daughter still has the items, would’ve thought those things were in a museum somewhere decades ago. For them to do this during the month of February of all months is just another low blow and this is why black folk are the ones that have so much discourse in our race. Guess this is just the sign of the times as my Nana would call it. Brother against brother, sister against mother and mother against father. It’ll get a lot worse before it gets better.

17. kenz
    February 7, 2014 at 1:22 pm

Dexter look just like his daddy, its this one floating around and i had to do a double take i was all boyyy you luuk jus lak yo daddy… On a serious note i agree with all this, its so sad, especially because they do do it ALLLLL THE TIMEEEEEE. They need to get it together and have more respect for their fathers legacy. I mean i get not getting alnog with family but i need them to have more respect for their fathers memory considering who he is

18. JaLonda
    February 7, 2014 at 1:33 pm

The two things that characterize that man’s life the most and they want to sell? That medal embodies the very spirit of peace and is given to those that strive for that very thing for all. Yet they want to sell it, causing peace’s direct opposite to be stirred. That Bible, wherein are written words that plainly state that the love of money is the root of all evil. It is unimaginable that brothers would sue their sister because she stands in the way of a profit.

19. Mo Araujo
    February 7, 2014 at 1:40 pm

YES!!!! Exactly!!!!

20. shay
    February 7, 2014 at 1:53 pm

I don’t even know what to say right now…I am shaking my damn head so hard at this rubbish I think I shook something loose. All I can think to say to them (very sternly and loudly) is, “Ya’ll should be SHAMED!!”

21. Miss Donna
    February 7, 2014 at 2:11 pm

The dysfunction of this family has been apparent for quite some time. Elder King is the most stable of the lot. I have always admired her demeanor and resolve. I agree with her on this matter. I’m not sure what’s driving the sons to disregard the significance of these items. I sense it’s more deeply-rooted than the prospect of monetary gain. I pray the Lord sends a buyer whose sole purpose is to return the items to Elder Bernice. Smh.

22. milaxx
    February 7, 2014 at 2:18 pm

I kept a old marble coffee table because it belonged to my grandmother. Sometime legacy is worth more than coins. These King children sound lost. I hope they don’t sell these items. Either keep them in the family or donate them to the Smithsonian.

23. February 7, 2014 at 2:24 pm

I was going to write a post, but you said it ALL. I hope this lands in their inbox, cause they seriously showing all they way out.. From Porsha to these King’s kids…help

24. February 7, 2014 at 3:17 pm

Luvvie done preached a good one to-day! YES SISTA YES!!

25. emv1102
    February 7, 2014 at 4:05 pm

A friend and I were just talking about the King children. This lil’ dog and pony show of theirs is all about money. It can’t be anything else. What the heck do they do anyway? Ummm…Trey and ’em need jobs. Naw, they thought they could live off that KING name for life without doing dag’on thing. Now bills need to be paid and they want to sell off heirlooms like that. Bernice needs go off on their tails (like those Housewives show-out) and let them know their plans have hit a brick wall cuz the medal and bible stays put! This shows their lack of respect for what the man stood for. Because of MLK their lives were easier than his and they have chosen to look past that. They need to get their sorry/no ‘count selves jobs and quit the nonsense.

26. Humoresque
    February 7, 2014 at 7:15 pm

Oh these three STAY in the courthouse! Let’s not even begin to talk about the kids suing Harry Belafonte and Andrew Young over documents and footage entrusted to them by Dr. King and Mrs. King… it’s like Mrs. King knew they were gonna show ALL the way out once she passed. Lahk….. how you gonna sue the people who your father trusted?! People who stood and marched beside him?! Chiiiiiiiiile, my spirit can’t eem comprehend…

27. February 7, 2014 at 7:27 pm

It’s funny how none of this was happening (or at least as public) when Yolanda was alive! I feel like she did what every self-respecting big sister would do and popped ALL THREE of them upside their heads when they acted foolish! They need to get a hobby or something (like Yolanda did with acting), instead of being their own parents’ grave robbers! WHO DOES THAT?! WHY IT HAPPEN?

28. Dmaclee
    February 7, 2014 at 8:59 pm

“Y’all be in too much mess much too often. You King Children have a bit of a reputation of being an overly litigious, perpetually squabbling and petulant pack and the public discordance is a taint on the name you carry.” The juxtaposition of the vernacular and high standard English in these two sentence almost gave this English teacher and confessed word nerd the vapors.

These siblings need an intervention. John Lewis, Harry Belafonte, and Maya Angelou need to pay them a visit. They need to sit with the elders and be reminded as what that Bible and Nobel Prize truly mean. The idea that their father’s legacy is not just theirs but the worlds must be a heavy burden to bear, but the lack of grace with which they carry it is just beyond the pale.

29. Sylvia
    February 7, 2014 at 9:47 pm

Luvvie, I agree that Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.’s Bible (that Pres. Obama was sworn in with and signed),and his Nobel Peace Prize, should not be sold for profit. That would truly be a sad day for all of us, especially those of us who were around to witness Dr. King, Jr.’s struggles on our behalf. Bernice is right to protect that legacy, if not for the country, for their family. The problem I have with this situation is, what does it say about the legacy when Dr. King Jr. and Coretta’s children are ripping their family apart like this? Martin, III and Dexter want to sell those precious items, and Bernice doesn’t, so she’s keeping them hidden under lock and key. This is a hot mess, either way around it. They are all disrespecting the legacy of their parents. I say she should give it to the brothers. They’ll sell the Bible and Nobel Peace Prize to the highest bidder, but it won’t bring them peace. For the rest of their days, they’ll never be forgiven by the public. They’ll lose the respect of the Black community, and that will hurt them as well, because Martin III occasionally makes speaking engagements, for which I’m sure he is paid. My guess is that no church or organization will be inviting him to speak for a very long time, knowing what he and Dexter have done? The money they get won’t last forever. I’ll bet on that! Their relationship with their sister may suffer permanent damage, as Bernice will be lauded for her efforts to protect her father’s Bible and Peace Prize. Being an ordained minister, she’ll be looked at as the one who honored the King heritage, and they will not. As Christians, they all need to find some way to resolve their differences, besides going to court all the time. Paul spoke about this to the Corinthians. Realistically, although we, the people, are horrified of the thought of Dr. King, Jr.’s personal travel Bible and Nobel Prize being sold, we are not the one’s who lived with him, under the constant threats of hurt and harm. Those children did. This kind of upbringing must have had psychologically damaging effects of each of them. They probably all could benefit from counseling, and a lot of prayer. I will be praying for all of them, and for Dr. King, Jr.’s ONLY grandchild, the daughter of Martin III. She needs not to be damaged anymore by the dysfunctional behaviors of her father’s generation. So, I say to Bernice, give them what they want, and try, with a lot of prayer, to reunite the King family. May the Peace of God be with them.

30. MableLean
    February 8, 2014 at 2:36 pm

If any family has a right to its dysfunctions, this one does. These kids suffered the murder of a father followed by the drowning of his brother, the murder of their grandmother (while in church of all places) and the sudden death of a sister.

All of those tragedies, struggles with sexuality, living up to an impossible standard, the ill effects of religion, etc…..I’m surprised they aren’t all institutionalized.

Bernice is a piece of work – I’m not a fan and am sure there is more to this story than meets the eye; but hopefully, she and her brothers can come to an agreement.

31. jlmad
    February 9, 2014 at 2:51 am

Did you say “side-eyes of glory”? Good d*mn day, ma’am. lol

32. mary burrell
    February 9, 2014 at 4:52 pm

They need to call Iyanla so she can fix their lives.

33. November 12, 2014 at 12:21 am

[…] They bought a new car knowing that there’s no area for parking in front of their home.But they think that the area in front of your house belongs to them.So they always park their car there no matter how much trouble you and your family are having because of that.And when you go and talk to them about it,they are always like – “Thorasa Adjust Karlo Na Bhaisaab”. Source […]

34. Brenda
    September 21, 2015 at 10:13 am

This is terrible about Dr. Kings sons wanting to sell his Bible and Nobel Peace Prize. You mean they are that bad off for Money? I can’t believe this. I hope Bernice win this one. Can someone tell me what they have been offered for the Bible and Nobel Peace Prize? I am praying this don’t happen. I think those items belong to the World.