Sega Genesis and Sonic the Hedgehog: Throwback Thursday

Back in my youth, I enjoyed video games just like everyone else. The last time I was really into it was way back when Sega Genesis was the IT console to have. You remember it. All-black, slightly glossy and hella awesome!

Sega Genesis

When you turned it on, you’d here the sing-song SEGAAAAAA. You’d be so geeked up too.

The game I remember playing the most was Sonic the Hedgehog. You remember him. The blue dude whose main goal was to stop Doctor Eggman from taking over the world. His sidekick was Miles, who was known as Tails because he was an adorable fox that had 2 tails. He just followed Sonic on his missions and tried to help.

But really, he barely had power so no one wanted to play him when it was 2-player time. He was literally the red-headed stepchild of the game. If you were a younger sibling though (like I was), you often got stuck with Tails. Salty is as salty does. Such ageism, man.

Sonic pounced around collecting coins, avoiding booby traps and all other obstacles.

When you want to collect a log of coins or just ramp up to get Sonic to be all suprsonic and fast, you’d hold down the down button and either A or B for like 5 seconds and he’d charged up. SO FUN!

Sonic the Hedgehog

This is what happened when you paused the game to go do something and it goes past a couple of minutes. The foot tap was Sonic’s way of telling you to bring your yansh and play already!

sonic the hedgehog pause

Sonic would even look at his watch and judge you for wasting his time. But his red shoes WERE fresh, doe. I was into em.

And when you play with multiple folks and you were all in the same spot in the game, you could do things like this:

sonic the hedghog

Yes MA’AM!!! Good times.

Did yall used to play Sonic the Hedgehog too? Take a stroll down memory lane with a G!

Comments on this entry are closed.

• Maximillian May 22, 2014, 12:25 pm

Ah, Sonic.

I beat 1, 2, and the Sonic & Knuckles game. Can’t beat 3 though, even now. Oh, and you HAD to get all the Chaos Emeralds… didn’t want this happening at the end..

• GoldenLadyP May 22, 2014, 1:02 pm

The soundtrack to Sonic games went hard!

• Briana May 22, 2014, 1:41 pm

Yes! To date, Sonic probably has the best video game soundtrack. My siblings and I just used to play the songs sometimes and jam

• MsZ May 22, 2014, 6:01 pm

The Battletoads pause music went hard too (Nintendo)!! LOL! I remember though, in Sonic being stressed out when he had to go underwater, and he started running out of air time…That music raised my blood pressure!!

…..I also liked to play Toe Jam and Earl….Yeah, I’m showing my age 😉

• Cliff May 24, 2014, 8:28 pm

That music caused anxiety at a damgerous level for a kid

• Hobbes May 24, 2014, 11:36 pm

Heck yes! Starlight Zone, Icecap Zone, and 7 others are in my iTunes collection!!!

• Fiona Smith May 22, 2014, 1:12 pm

Haha…..loved this game. My bro and sis used to play this and that Michael Jackson one where he goes around saving little kids O_o Loved when he got pricked and lost all the coins in labrynth and drowned…….I have issues. Lol

• Luvvie May 22, 2014, 1:41 pm

There was an MJ one??? WORD???

• Luvvie May 22, 2014, 1:42 pm

P.S. LOL at when he got pricked and all them coins will come out his body and he be all disheveled. Sad state of affairs for Sonic, man.

• Maxine Shaw, attorney-at-LOL May 22, 2014, 1:33 pm

Pshaw. T’was all about that SUPER NINTENDO, homie.

• Luvvie May 22, 2014, 1:40 pm

Why do we gotta choose? Super nintendo was the shit too. Mario an’ em.

• RUScarlet May 22, 2014, 1:40 pm

Super Mario World & especially Super Mario 3 were IT for me on SNES.

Oh, and Mario Kart & Donkey Kong Country, too.

• Jasmine May 22, 2014, 4:54 pm

I would not come out my room playing that damn Donkey Kong Country. Do a quick hard slap on the ground and Bam! Bananas falling out the trees!

• jimmy May 23, 2014, 3:59 pm

My thumbs hurt at the mere mention of Mario. Then I had to hurriedly suffer through chores with sensitive digits, all the while thinking of how I was going to make it to the next level.

• RUScarlet May 22, 2014, 1:36 pm

Tails was the Poor Michelle of video games. He spent half his time tryna get back on screen when Sonic left his azz.

I used him as a sacrifice on the difficult boards, since he had more lives than Shirley MacLaine.

• Luvvie May 22, 2014, 1:39 pm

“Tails was the Poor Michelle of video games.” LMAOOOOOO!! This made me snort.

• Itsben1 May 22, 2014, 2:09 pm

“Tails was the Poor Michelle of video games.” RUScarlet, you complete me!! LMAO!!

• Hollablackgirl May 22, 2014, 1:51 pm

Dude, I used to LOVE to leave Tails ass behind. That was like a game within the game for me. I’d see how long and how far I could get before his ass would just helicopter in on me with his tail, then be pissed that he found me that fast.

• CM May 22, 2014, 4:03 pm

My favorite game growing up. This brought back so many memories!

• Charlotte May 22, 2014, 4:33 pm

Yes! Sonic is my childhood! My brother and I would play two player all the time, but we’d take turns with who was Sonic and who was Tails so we didn’t get stuck on the same one all the time, LOL. In the one player there was the option to play Sonic alone, and I always picked that one because I thought Tails was annoying, LOL.

• Jasmine May 22, 2014, 5:02 pm

Nothing like getting Sonic all charged up and then running into one of those weird lava spitting things and losing all your coins…

• Jasmine May 23, 2014, 9:53 am

Luuvie guuuurrrllll you don’t know, you done hit nerve.

What y’all really know about Sonic tho? Who got hella mad when they started calling Dr. Robotnik “Dr Eggman”? #Effthatnoise. Who carved out whole weekends to get all the chaos emeralds so Sonic could go super saiyan and leave all the haters in his wake? Who fell in love with Knuckles cause he had locs and stayed punching his foes and walls alike like they owed him $25 and a cheese sandwich? Who put their sonic 3 game on top of their Sonic and Knuckles and then put that on their Game Genie to get all sorts of video game, mega high jump madness? And I only was on that Game Genie life after I beat Sonic 1, 2, 3, Sonic & Knuckles, Sonic Pinball, Dr. Robotnik Mean Bean Machine, AND Sonic 3D Blast (despite the wack azzness of that game)

I. Could. Go. ON!

Come round my way talkin about Sonic and I’ll learn you something good, trust and believe.

• Sthabile May 23, 2014, 1:19 pm

Yep indeed – sega mega-drive and was a truck load of fun…some after school fun to look forward to. Glad mum was never picky about letting two girls play video games over other less masculine stuff according to the gender stereotypes on toys. Regretfully never got to clock the game and beat the final boss who I presume is Robotnics.

• Melissa June 19, 2014, 7:58 am

My 11 year old son is currently addicted. Like seriously addicted. I think he needs rehab lol

• Joe February 12, 2015, 1:27 pm