The Time James Brown and Little Richard Partnered on Wheel of Fortune: Throwback Thursday

You got to go way back sometimes for the best clips. Back in 1994, Wheel of Fortune did a week where they featured “Music Stars.” On this particular episode, it’s Lee Greenwood, Weird Al Yankovic, James Brown and Little Richard. Yes, 4 contestants. Why? Because James and Richard played together. I didn’t even know that was a thing.

It’s just completely adorable. Watch the 5 minute clip below. Minute 2 is when they start talking about how they know each other.

I just have a some questions, though.

* Why did Lil Richard and James Brown pair up? They were playing for different charities. Did they book them both and realize they ran out of spots? I mean I’m not against it. I’m just wondering.

* Why did I start laughing the moment I saw both Richard and James? Could it be that Lil Richard had on a jacket made of the same fabric my granny used as a wrapper in 1991? Or that James Brown was dressed like a BIC erasable pen? I am not sure but I was cackling the moment they stepped on screen. InstaLife.

* Why are they adorable?? Every time they’d spin and look at each other for a letter, I’d cackle. The pause and the uuuuuuhhhhhh. Bless them.

* Why do I wanna mop a floor every time I see Weird Al? I just know that hair will shine some tile real well.

* Why can’t nobody rock a curl set like James Brown? STILL. Step your cookies up, everyone!

James Brown Little Richard

* Why did they put pregnant Vanna White in this black muu muu, doe?

* Why did they ask for a letter and James Brown said “KEY?” A combo of C and K and Pat Sajak just paused as the buzzer went NAWL! THAT made me laugh hard.

* Why was Little Richard all up in Lee’s space? He got his elbows on the thing all comfortable. I love it.

* Why did I get my life at 4:40 when Little Richard went “Thank James for being from that old school. SHADDAP!” I live for his sass, LAWD!

Again, super cute, especially at the end when Richard hugged James. YESSSSSSS! This is classic goodness.

Comments on this entry are closed.

• Jocy August 21, 2014, 1:46 pm

I don’t usually watch adult hangman but I needed this laugh today! Thank you!

• Luvvie August 21, 2014, 1:48 pm

Adult hangman, doe?? LMAOO I’m so done w/ you!

• Brittany August 21, 2014, 2:38 pm

So much hair products, so little time

• KelleeNicole August 21, 2014, 2:56 pm

Ok. Is it just me or did anybody else struggle trying to figure out what the hell James was saying? Ask me what charity he was playing for and I can’t even tell you lol

• ms.froy@verizon.net October 1, 2014, 4:08 am

What happened to the video.

• Kendra Shavonne August 21, 2014, 4:10 pm

They were super cute. Little Richard was choosing every seldom used letter ever. lol

• Jai August 21, 2014, 4:25 pm

Little Richard was apparently JB’s translator. Bless him and his chenille bloussant knickers.

• Taj August 21, 2014, 6:52 pm

They’re so adorably country, the burgh of ’em. Bless their hearts!

But I do love me some Lil Richard, sass and all. He’s my favorite Gary uncle in my head.

I like how no one initially thought to throw out an S in the first round. What the hell else comes after an apostrophe?

• Taj August 21, 2014, 6:54 pm

I meant “gay uncle”. Damn you spell check!

• Cathy January 15, 2016, 9:57 am

I thought “Gary uncle” was a new term for “how you doing” … I say we run with it … Haha

• Marrajoelle August 22, 2014, 10:05 am

Right? I’m sitting here like so no one wants an S up in this pieces

• kenzi August 21, 2014, 7:23 pm

anybody know if they were really friends or knew each other per that scene in Get On Up?? this gives me hope they were real friends and that wasnt movie magic *crosses fingers* lol

• MarvyMds August 22, 2014, 12:36 am

I only watched that clip to see Uncle Richard yell “Shut Up!” I bet you that man is still rocking Pancake #31 and black eyeliner.

James Brown’s roller set is the envy of many a member of the senior choir because you can’t just get a hairdo like that just any place. I guarantee you that he was using Lottabody setting lotion and those silver wire rollers with the black mesh coating – don’t act like you don’t know what I mean.

That little blue neckerchief is a nice touch too. The Godfather of Soul was very stylish.

• Kay August 22, 2014, 10:39 am

I dont know why but I feel the need to add my grandmas next door neighbor ( A woman) looked like like James Brown’s DOPPELGANGER. I swear you never saw them in the same room together! Plus, they were born in the same city in Georgia around the same time! Come on now. Something aint right

• HB August 25, 2014, 7:28 am

James looked like he was struggling the whole game.

MENU