CultureFamous folks

About Patricia Arquette’s Backstage Speech at the 2015 Oscars

I didn’t watch the 2015 Academy Awards so there’s no recap! And I’m kinda on the go but I saw a clip of Patricia Arquette’s speeches, both onstage and backstage. She should have quit while she was ahead because I’m here to talk about her comments in the press room.

I woulda written a sternly-worded letter but I ain’t got time today so I ranted about it on Twitter and below are my quick thoughts. If you can’t view it here, check it out on Storify.

“The truth is, even though we sort of feel like we have equal rights in America, right under the surface there are huge issues that are at play that really do affect women. And it’s time for all the women in America and all the men that love women, and all the gay people, and all the people of color that we’ve all fought for, to fight for us now.” – Patricia Arquette backstage of the 2015 Oscars.

white tears

Chile… WOMP. Bye, Patricia.

So many people are butthurt on behalf of Patricia Arquette that you’d think I called her a monster. The road to hell is paved with good intentions. If malice preceded every circumstance before it is considered problematic, then everyone can use the “I meant well” excuse as a get out of jail free card.

No More Blood: Scandal Episode 413 Recap

Lupita, Shonda and the 2015 ESSENCE Black Women in Hollywood Luncheon

1. February 23, 2015 at 9:18 am

That ish was so ridiculous and tone deaf that some people chalked it up to her being high, but I am not letting her off the hook because that foolishment rolled off her tongue too easily.

This is why Sojourner Truth had to ask “Aren’t I a Woman” all those years ago and we still need to ask it today. White women are seen as frail dainty creatures and Black woman are treated like furniture or beast of burden.

This is some very rude, deep-seated mess and shame on this broad for mucking up the good vibes of the night with this nonsense.

She’s as bad as Sean Penn making that green card comment when Alejandro Innaritu won for Birdman.

• LadyLarke
      February 23, 2015 at 11:44 am

Yes! I had a Sojourner Truth flashback myself! And I was completely disgusted and taken aback with that Sean Penn “Green Card” comment. Even though it was said in jest, it wasn’t funny.

2. Violet D
    February 23, 2015 at 9:20 am

She needs to take several seats on a lily white sofa. I guess the glasses were supposed to make her seem smarter. I haven’t believed in a white feminist since Jesse Spano apologized to Lisa Turtle for her ancestors owning slaves.

• CLowe
      February 23, 2015 at 11:32 am

I am DEAD @ Jessie Spano apologizing to Lisa Turtle. Just dead.

3. Severin
    February 23, 2015 at 9:29 am

Don’t let perfect be the enemy of good. I get sooo frustrated when a black person goes on the attack like this over something which at worst is a lack of nuance. Her articulation may not have been the best but what makes you think you have the right to trash her intentions like this?? I’m sorry but it seems to me you are projecting all kinds of feelings on her comments just because she didn’t single out women of color. Just as black women’s contributions in civil rights movements aren’t properly appreciated I perceived her comments to be about the same lack of societal recognition for ALL women. Im a gay black immigrant and I completely agree with her sentiment because I get what she means about women still being treated as lesser than even if she didn’t break it down academically and by demographic. You are purposely trying to create a wedge where there needn’t be one.
    Worse yet, whyyy oh whyyy must you speak of a totem pole of oppression??? If you truly believe in intersectionality why can’t you allow people different from you to speak their truth to the best of their ability? And if you must criticize do it constructively not with some angry Twitter rant that only further divides. As an African immigrant it always boggles my mind when black activists bring up a hierarchy of oppression because fact of the matter is as an American no matter what your color you are better off than 90% of the rest of the world and we all need to remember and celebrate that aspect even as you are working to change America for the better.

• Just Jayde
      February 23, 2015 at 9:45 am

Luv me some Luvvie, but I have to say I’m with Severin on this one.

• February 23, 2015 at 9:56 am

SEVERIN IT’S THE SO CALLED%
      THAT’S DOING ALL THE DAMAGE,
      HOLDING HEBREW-AFRICAN-AMERICAN WOMEN BACK, TREATING
      US LIKE 5th CLASS CITIZENS.
      THE ONLY THING GOOD THAT
      WOULD COME OUT OF THIS IS THAT WHITE WOMEN WILL BE CATEGORIZED
      AS 1st, 2nd, & 3rd. CLASS CITIZENS
      AND WE’LL BE PUSHED BACK TO
      “WHO GIVES A DAM!”

• MyName
      February 23, 2015 at 10:03 am

I seriously don’t understand why as blacks we can’t stand with others without making it all about us. Patricia was CLEARLY speaking for all women, regardless of race, religion, or creed. She was speaking about sexism and asking any other minority group to stand in the fight against sexism. She was NOT saying, “Please stand up for white women ONLY.” This is a clear case of us (blacks) playing the race card when we shouldn’t. It’s sad that it’s another woman tearing her down. (Still love you, Luvvie.)

• Nancoise
        February 23, 2015 at 4:43 pm

As a serious Luvvie fan/follower, I’m with Severin here, too. I didn’t hear Arquette saying “you owe us.” I heard “We need everyone’s help if all women are to benefit.” Her career has had long dry spells; I don’t know if she’s rich or not, but I do know that a woman doesn’t have to be poor or black or Latina or Asian or Indian or (pick a label) to know or to have experienced discrimination or humiliation for simply being a woman.

That’s a fact.

• CL
      February 23, 2015 at 10:06 am

“You are purposely trying to create a wedge where there needn’t be one.”

I love you, and can usually agree with you, Luvvie – but Severin is right.

• allison
      February 23, 2015 at 10:42 am

Thank you, Severin. As oppressed people we should be sensitive to all other struggles of those who are in a similar position…even if the struggle isnt as difficult. And yes, there were many white people of privelege who did help in the civil rights struggle…at a great cost.

• Tanisha
      February 23, 2015 at 12:15 pm

I don’t think she has a problem with Patricia speaking HER truth. It is when speaking your truth you decide to include everyone without taking into consideration that YOUR truth isn’t THEIR truth. And trust me we are discussing this on my FB page and latina, asian AND black women on my page felt off about that speech.

• Tae
      February 23, 2015 at 12:36 pm

I agree with you Severin. I’ve faced way more oppression as a woman in film than I have as a Black person. And the pay differences between men and women in Hollywood is very, very transparent and evident. It’s to the point where an actress will see her check, and realize that someone missed a zero in her paycheck, in comparison to her co-star.

Patricia knew exactly who she was addressing, and who she was talking to, and it wasn’t any of us at home. If anything, I applaud her for having the balls to tell a room full of Hollywood directors to quit playing games, and pay these actors the same pay rate, regardless of what’s slinging between their legs.

If anything, I fear this argument will tear down the problem she is trying to address. Yes, I am a woman. But when you get funny about my money, then that’s when I have to act like I’m a Black woman from inner-city Cleveland. And all women, regardless of their industry, should stand behind that.

• Angela
      February 23, 2015 at 1:09 pm

Her onstage speech was cool. Women should be treated equal and have equal pay. I get that. The part that gets me, and the thing that POC constantly let slide, is the semi-invisible statements of “you owe us.”

When Patricia says… “and all the people of color that we’ve all fought for, to fight for us now,” I am now confused. This isn’t about NOT working together, it sounds like it is about the struggles of anyone who is not white, to be the first to run to the defense of white women. And I say white women for a reason.

She said us, referring to women and ended with her referring to white women. Sometimes when you are on a roll, your words come out quite differently than you have rehearsed in your head. Just because people have fought for the rights of LGBT, African-American men and women, Young men who wear hoodies because it’s raining, unarmed teens who get killed by armed cops, etc., does not mean it’s okay to say “beacuse we fought for you…” That’s not how you do things. Had she said that everyone should stand up against this issue, not just a particular group, then her speech would have been better.

• Tanisha
        February 23, 2015 at 2:33 pm

My Response: So, as a feminist (it has taken me many years to wear that label) I wanted to make a statement so that it is understood where I am coming from. I believe as a feminist, there is no such thing as a white, Latina, or black feminist. Feminists believe in equality for ALL women no matter race, ethnicity or sexual orientation. However, I do understand that each group faces different kinds of discrimination. I say this to say that for WOC ( I hate this term but let us use it for lack of a better term), our being a woman is only PART of our struggle. Patricia Arquette is one of my favorite actresses and though I agree with the sentiment of her speech last night and understand that there wasn’t enough time for her to break down what she was saying, I take issue with what she said backstage. Yes WOMEN have fought for everyone’s struggle and not many have fought for ours. But even still, throughout the feminine movement, WOC (lack of a better term) have been made to take the back seat in the agenda, or left out completely. It is a tone deaf person who would make the struggle about –it’s our turn now or forget in general how the two major feminist movements left out WOC, LGBT, and workers.. It is a tone deaf person who thinks that helping others means they are obligated to help us. What women need to understand in general is that we need to work together to overcome sexism and the oppression of the feminine. We need to take care of each other. And the only way to do that is to understand that being a woman is not the only piece of the struggle of non-white women. I always talk about how Marilyn Monroe worked with Ella Fitzgerald to bring her career to the forefront and how Grace Kelly helped Josephine Baker’s career comeback. These women understood that though our struggles are similar in many ways, that WOC in general face other obstacles that white women do not. I have been lucky to have women; white, black, Asian and Latina that have helped me along my journey. We have helped each other because we have taken the time to understand each other’s struggles, or ask questions about them. It is even my goal with my label to bring women together in general in this vain. With that being said, going forward, what can we do, to come together and fight this battle TOGETHER as women?

• Deb
      February 24, 2015 at 3:46 pm

AMEN!!! You articulated that perfectly! Part of why we haven’t gotten equal rights is that the forces of derision have kept us from becoming a united force. Woman make up over half of the electorate so if all women united behind enacting an equal rights amendment, it would pass without any men needing to support it. Yet, even with some men supporting it, it has not passed because of division caused by angry people with their own agendas. Women have to stop tearing other women down for all of us to move forward.

• Not Havin It
      February 24, 2015 at 4:05 pm

What is this MESS?? Girl, I got through seven of these comments fore I had to sit down, catch my breath, remember the Lord’s Prayer and get right with HIM. Ya’ll are PRESSED to defend this White Woman! And what has she done for that?

Not here for it! Not today! NOAP.

• arrnorthwest
      February 27, 2015 at 10:29 am

I get what you’re saying, but I think people are more upset over the direct comment to gay and black folks to step up and “Fight for us now”, as if they have previously played no role in the fight for equality. It seems like you’re referring to her initial speech, not her backstage comments. Maybe I’m wrong.

4. MyName
    February 23, 2015 at 9:41 am

Luvvie I usually agree with you, but being a (black) woman, I think it’s despicable when we (women) can’t celebrate and stand with one another. I believe Patricia’s words are being taken out of context. She wasn’t asking for minorities to come to the aid of white women. She was asking anyone who has encountered a struggle because of discrimination to stand with ALL women and help fight sexism. Yes, Patricia’s struggle is not the same as our’s (women of color) because we are double minorities, but she at least knows what it’s like to experience sexism.

• Sarah H
      February 23, 2015 at 10:11 am

Actually she’s saying exatly what Luvvie says she had said. Try to re-read this part in her speech: “And it’s time for all the women in America and all the men that love women, and all the gay people, and all the people of color that we’ve all fought for, to fight for us now.”

Maybe she didn’t exactly mean it, but bottom line is those words did came out of her mouth. Besides, Arquette is a wealthy white woman who constantly get acting job, so I doubt she has the kind of struggle that a middle-class or lower-class woman would have. Furthermore, I personally don’t think that sexism in Hollywood is half as bad as all these (white) actress make it out to be. Racism is much more of an issue. Also, have you noticed that the only one talking about sexism are almost all the same? White, well-established and pretty.

• MyName
        February 23, 2015 at 10:24 am

Wow! What a way to twist words. Again, she was pointing out groups who have also experienced discrimination. She was NOT saying, “Let’s stand up for the rights of only white women.” She’s speaking out against sexism and wants equality for ALL women. Also, “people of color” is NOT just about blacks. As a black woman, we need to learn how to stand with others even if we don’t think their struggle is as great as our’s.

• Jessica
        February 24, 2015 at 10:16 am

She’s using her platform as a woman in the media to try and do the right thing. Why do you have to look at it from a standpoint of color? Would it be okay if a black woman had said the same statements…because obviously she knows how hard life can be but not a white woman. White women face trials as well. And as for her statement, I’ve done plenty of studies on the suffrage movement. Many of the women of the suffrage movement also fought for anti-slavery and the right to vote for all- regardless of race or sex. research the women’s suffrage movement and women like Lucy Stone, Ernestine Rose, and Angelina Grimke who all spoke up during a time when women were discouraged from public speaking to fight for the rights of all. So, in her statement, she’s basically saying that we should all come together to fight for more equal rights for women- which affects all women. Women of all races have helped in the other civil rights movements.

• grace
          May 1, 2015 at 5:42 pm

When you’re a woman of any movement, you are constantly told that sexism isn’t as important or serious as other issues. Or you are treated with outright contempt. I encountered this recently in the Skeptical/Atheist movement. It’s vicious and nasty. I don’t even want to associate with that movement anymore, the blatant misogyny is toxic. There are “Thought Leaders” who tell women to shut up, that women in the West experience no sexism or discrimination.
          From reading about the anti-war hippie movement of the 60’s, white and black women were treated with the same hostility and derision by liberal white boys and men. And in the civil rights movement, black women where told that the problems black men face were more important and black women need to just stand by black men and stop talking about sexism and misogyny because you’re “hurting the movement.” .

I think Patricia Arquette’s choice of words weren’t well- thought through by her because it sounds like she’s saying only white women. It’s unfortunate and I hope someone will bring this to her attention.

5. Sarah H
    February 23, 2015 at 10:13 am

By the way, I meant the one approved by the media and the mainstream feminist movement.

6. February 23, 2015 at 10:46 am

Luvvie!!!!!
    “I DIDN’T ASK FOR YOUR SORRY HAND IN EQUALITY.” This gave me all the life I will ever need for past eternity! I’m really gonna live forever, Doll. *cuzzayu. Some of these comments make me feel justified in calling the new racism: eracism. What’s funny is that there is a group doing anti-racist (*cough*) work using just that term. That’s why we can’t hab nuttin nice. But I got my life today, babay! Yes, I am from New Orleans. LOL!

7. ssy
    February 23, 2015 at 11:15 am

I have to disagree with the other comments on here trying to defend Arquette’s words. Fighting for gay rights was/is fighting for lesbian and transgender WOMEN, and fighting for black civil rights was/is fighting for black WOMEN. To reduce these important struggles to labels of “black” and “gay” erases the active and crucial participation of these minority women, and that’s why Luvvie is angry. And she has every right to be. If anything, it’s Arquette’s words who are divisive, by refusing to acknowledge the overlap between all of these groups. Because once you take away all those other categories, what “women” are you left with? That’s right, white. Not to mention that all of these struggles are STILL ongoing–it’s really dangerous and misleading to treat these other movements as struggles we have already overcome, in order to justify why it’s “women’s” turn now.

• Nef05
      February 23, 2015 at 3:51 pm

““The truth is, even though we sort of feel like we have equal rights in America, right under the surface there are huge issues that are at play that really do affect women. And it’s time for all the women in America and all the men that love women, and all the gay people, and all the people of color that we’ve all fought for, to fight for us now.”

I agree. She subtracted all the women in the groups named, from the “us” that needed to be fought for, leaving only white women left to be included in “us”. I also agree it is dangerous to reference those struggles as having been in the past and done, as implicitly implied by saying “fought” (past tense) and “now” (in the present).

Agree and cosign 100%. I’m with you and Luvvie on this one!

• Nef05
        February 23, 2015 at 3:56 pm

Implicitly stated OR implied. Not both. Typing too fast.

• February 23, 2015 at 4:35 pm

Hun, this here comment of yours has summarised both the agreement and the disagreement with Ms. Arquette’s speech (the backstage one btw, as I’d only seen and heard her stage speech and found it OK, even courageous in some sort of well-measured way). As a matter of fact, at the very and of her “on-stage” speech we could see an excited Meryl Streep and a surprised Jennifer Lopez (why everyone adores her so escapes me, but that’s just another story); I genuinely believe at least Streep can’t have been on thinking: off mode.
      As you very wisely wrote, Arquette’s words came off as divisive; and as some others have also stated, maybe that is not what she actually meant, but the foot was put in it, wasn’t it?
      I also agree with the people writing against the idea of the “Totem”; but then again, the struggle of black women must be (I’m only feeling-guessing here, for I am a white [gay] male… though I’ve seen and heard a lot of course!!) so phenomenal that maybe constant reminding and visibility (as much as it can get) is necessary. Most likely, I dare say.

Needless to say, but I’ll say it: Ditto for the struggle of blacks in general, gays and LGBT in general, THE POOR, THE UNEDUCATED and the list of “minorities” that goes on to the point that we find ourselves back at the beginning facing the tiny minority of (mostly) white, usually better-to-do (as in comparison).

But, d’you know what? This can’t go on forever, it simply can’t. We shall overcome. We won’t live to see that day, and no matter how torn and twisted this world is, but that will happen. Or else this human race isn’t worth its faeces.

Excuse the rant, and any eventual errors in my English. I just got carried away. PEACE

• Rell
      February 24, 2015 at 9:00 am

I do not agree with Luvie, and I do believe we are twisting her words. However, you statement, “If anything, it’s Arquette’s words who are divisive, by refusing to acknowledge the overlap between all of these groups,” is very true.

That is the biggest problem with her speech. Do not believe it was intentional, she just needs a few sociology courses.

8. LadyLarke
    February 23, 2015 at 11:42 am

Ummm….what?!

I watched the Oscars last night (mainly in part b/c there was NOTHING else on) and saw her acceptance speech. I was happy that she said the words she said on stage…UNTIL I saw the tomfoolery she said backstage. Huh? I guess my struggles as a Black woman doesn’t matter -__-. Nevermind we Black women have to contend with being Black AND being women…that took me back to Sojourner Truth’s “Ain’t I A Woman?” I totally had a facepalming moment at my job. That’s like shaming Amber Rose for stripping at a young age to survive but praising Kim Kardashian for gaining notariety (did I spell that right) from her sex tape. Women of color are always gonna be seen as colored and nothing else.

9. mammal
    February 23, 2015 at 11:52 am

I’m just here to say
    1. Yes.
    B) YESSS.
    Thirdly: THAT GIF YESSSSSSSS!!! and also
    DAMB STRAIGHT (damb cis white straight lady).

10. Mr Key Tower
    February 23, 2015 at 12:33 pm

the main beneficiaries of the Civil Rights Moment were white women..
    even if Patricia “mis-spoke” she clearly doesn’t understand the cause she’s trying to fight..
    yes, there is pay inequality across all career paths, but to try to equate one struggle to another is offensive..

11. Lisa
    February 23, 2015 at 12:50 pm

Love your every tweet, but my heart felt a spring over “I am having a Celie confronting Mister at the table moment. DID I ASK YOU FOR ANYTHING? I DIDN’T ASK FOR YOUR SORRY HAND IN EQUALITY.” Cause this so captured my feelings exactly? Feel some type of way, this way right here!!

12. Deja
    February 23, 2015 at 12:57 pm

i think @clairewillett hit the nail on the head. its like Patty was saying, “with Selma, Obama, Gay Pride parades and marriage equality laws governing (most) states, all other minorities have overcome!”

i just wish the tone of her after-speech was a little less dismissive of everyones continued struggle…

13. Serenity
    February 23, 2015 at 1:16 pm

Wow! I missed the shade. I heard her speech and thought she was talking about ALL women and not just white women.

• Nancoise
      February 23, 2015 at 4:59 pm

Thank you. I heard the same speech you heard, Serenity.

Racism, sexism, ageism. Discrimination.

One needn’t be a chicken to recognize an egg.

14. notconvincedgranny
    February 23, 2015 at 1:28 pm

Wow, revisionist history rides the Oscars.

Affirmative action was one of those come-along issues for us. It’s original target? White women. Working wasn’t an option for us, it was, and remains, a necessity. But you need a colorful banner for your cause, and suntan wasn’t enough. Enter black people. Not just women, but men to because, diversity.

When the attack on affirmative action began, white women were among the first to jump off the bandwagon. As long as they could serve as savior it was all good, but as black people began to realize yep, we are indeed human and ADULTS, affluent white women could not flee the cause fast enough.

There’s enough generalization in there to require a salt grain or two, but there’s a lot of truth. It would be different if I hadn’t been around to witness and participate. That Arquette heffa should have her seat snatched from under her and used to beat that rogue tooth into submission.

15. BBMO
    February 23, 2015 at 1:37 pm

the fact remains that patricia’s words were a continuation of the erasure of people of color and our stories that the was academy awards 2015.

according to the bureau of labor statistics, the income gap is much wider across race than gender. gender is a multiplier of the effect i.e. women of color make less than white women who make less than white men, but still more than women (and men) of color.

when she spoke, i viscerally felt it as a slap in the face to other spheres i occupy besides cisgender female. namely my blackness and my queerness. she also implied that people of color and LGBTQA people have been ignoring the struggle of women, when we have been doing anything but. she ignored the key to the effective change- intersectionality.

moreover, it would have been one thing if she had said that on stage in the rush of emotion of having just won and avoiding the overplay of the “wrap it up” music. i get that. but backstage, after the ceremony gives you time to choose your words and construct your thoughts… even with a few drinks or other chemicals in her system, it would have taken a slight adjustment of her words to make her comments inclusive.

the reaching being done to defend her words is on the level of olympic rhythmic gymnastics. not here for it.

16. Bri Lynn
    February 23, 2015 at 1:43 pm

Her statement was simple math. WE WOMEN fought for YOU, so now YOU gays, men and people of color need to fight for US. WOMEN – GAYS – MEN – POC = WHITE WOMEN. In other words, gay and minority women are not women. Bish whet?? Miss me with the ignorance, implicit dismissal and fake ass call to action. And all ya’ll talknbout what she MEANT to say, miss me with that too. White women don’t need interpreters. They speak that good English.
    FOH.

• T
      February 23, 2015 at 2:03 pm

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. I agree with you 100. She knew exactly what she was saying. Which is Basically that everybody else who’s ever had a struggle owes white women one. In her head, everyone else is sorted, now it’s time to help HER. Sorry Patty. We see you. And the answer is NO.

• Nef05
      February 23, 2015 at 4:15 pm

YAAAASSSSS! THIS right here!!! (hands and face to the sky in agreement)

• February 23, 2015 at 4:40 pm

Right, I don’t know what she meant to say I only know that what she did say was foul. Let her defend herself since none of us is privy to the inner workings of her mind.

17. Purple Dove
    February 23, 2015 at 2:11 pm

Originally coined by Kimberlé Crenshaw (1989), intersectionality was intended to address the fact that the experiences and struggles of women of colour fell between the cracks of both feminist and anti-racist discourse. Crenshaw argued that theorists need to take both gender and race on board and show how they interact to shape the multiple dimensions of Black women’s experiences.

Article: Mapping the Margins: Intersectionality, Identity Politics, and Violence Against Women of Color

18. Purple Dove
    February 23, 2015 at 2:17 pm

In other words, Crenshaw articulates the impossibility of separating race and gender–particularly in terms of power structures that discriminate and exclude women of color, such as the WHITE FEMINIST MOVEMENT. Sorry, but even if Arquette’s heart was in the “right” place, her worldview is ill-informed if she thinks that women of color and white women’s experiences are similar enough to join a common cause.

White women are/can be racist, too in their participation in SYSTEMS AND STRUCTURES in which they are advantaged (privileged) and women of color are (severely) disadvantaged. White women were the biggest beneficiaries of affirmative action.

• JustCurious
      February 23, 2015 at 4:32 pm

Can I ask why “women of color and white women’s experiences are [not] similar enough to join a common cause”?
      I understand that both groups have completely different experiences in the world, but I do not understand why that would prevent them from joining a common cause, if the cause in both respects is equality.
      I am not saying I think Arquettes’ words were accurate or okay, I am just curious why it would not work to have people of different backgrounds work towards a common goal.
      Also, I disagree that simply being on the privileged side of a societal system makes you racist. I’m not saying there aren’t racist white women, I’m just saying it seems like too broad a generalization to assume someone is racist simply because they are privileged

• Tanisha
        February 23, 2015 at 5:29 pm

I agree with you here. In order for us WOMEN to overcome this inequality we have to work TOGETHER but in order to do so, we must understand that our struggles in general are indeed different. This is why Marilyn Monroe and Ella Fitzgerald and Grace Kelly and Josephine Baker’s partnerships worked. They recognized the common struggles in each other but also understood that it goes beyond the common struggle and that in many cases our struggles are NOT the same. We must work together instead of be divided.

• Purple Dove
        February 24, 2015 at 12:36 pm

This columnist offers a response to your question better than I could at this point in time:

And before you say “But, Blue, she said women not just white women,” let me be blunt: If you say black people need to stand up for you – that means you are asking every person in the room who is both black and a woman to choose her gender over her race in order to suit your agenda. It’s a very subtle form of feminist segregation that I’ve heard about for a few years now. And it’s complete b.s.

Who does she think nursed and looked after all of those white children during the slave era? Did she somehow miss the last 400 years of race relations? Does she not notice who the nannies are when she takes her kids to the park? Society has made it all too clear that not all women are created equal. So to ask the women who are below you on the food chain to once again lift you up is fifty shades of “You got some nerve.”

• JustCurious
          February 24, 2015 at 10:19 pm

So what you’re saying is the attitudes and stances of white feminists makes working together with them impossible, not that people of different backgrounds can’t work together?
          I recognize her words were clearly in the wrong and ignorant of the full world that surrounds her, I was just curious whether you honestly thought white women and women of color could never work together or whether that was simply meant to apply in situations like the one arquette created.

• Purple Dove
            February 25, 2015 at 1:19 pm

Attitudes and stances contribute to legal, social, and economic, policies, practices, systems, and structures that advantage them and disadvantage women of color. And for the record, I do work with white women in my profession and there are some white women whose attitudes and stances contribute to DISMANTLING those policies and practices that disadvantage women of color. And then there are those (like Arquette) who fail to recognize or acknowledge their privilege, thus contributing to the continuation of those policies, practices, and structures that continue to disadvantage women of color.

• JustCurious
          February 25, 2015 at 3:44 pm

Couldn’t figure out how to reply to your latest comment, just wanted to thank you for taking the time to explain your stance to me.

19. Jenna
    February 23, 2015 at 3:22 pm

Maybe if black women stopped whining about their disadvantages all the time they would get somewhere. They waste so much time being angry and bitter they don’t work hard to get ahead.

• Ginab52
      February 23, 2015 at 4:21 pm

Uh Jenna dear, black women are some of the hardest working people in this country. Most of the time the weight of racism AND sexism falls upon us. We don’t have time to whine with trying to work for less, raise families, and pray that our men and sons survive each day. Bye Jenna

• Anna
      February 23, 2015 at 4:26 pm

Say what now? Black women… don’t work hard… to get ahead? Do you mean work hard as in taking care of other people’s children? Do you mean working a 9 to 5 and still getting paid less than our white male and female counterparts? Do you mean working hard as in putting together actual meaningful lyrics in songs and yet still being overlooked because we are not the aesthetically beautiful woman that society deems untouchable? Do you mean working hard as in the working poor? Meaning, that we take what we can get because it’s enough to put food on the table and clothes on our backs despite the fact that we know damn well we deserve better but do not get it because we are overlooked for being both female AND black? I mean, are you kidding me with this comment?!

Forgive me, because I was just overlooked for a top paying job that a white man with no college or high school degree just earned despite that BOTH were required and the fact that I have a Bachelors of Science from a 4 year college, while currently working on my Masters, and am a black woman who prides herself on being educated and “working hard” without complaining. Because God forbid pointing out the issues of the society that remains against us be considered complaining when it’s the damn truth. How dare we speak about the injustices against black women in this world? How dare we.

Overall, I’m, enormously confused by your statement. I truly am. Black women have been working hard since the beginning of time. In fact, that is damn near all we DO, work hard! My grandmother, God rest her soul, worked until the day she DIED because she didn’t have a choice. And never ONCE did she complain as she cleaned houses for white people. Yes, my grandmother was THE HELP and went to work every damn day with a smile on her face and more change in her pocket for it.

To keep my mother from becoming THE HELP as well, my grandmother worked even harder to send her to a 4 year college so that she could get a degree and a damn good job. My mother did the same for me, worked HARD to get to where she is and to pay for my college tuition on her OWN so that I too would not have to resort to cleaning up the messes of white people and their children.

So please MISS ME with this ignorant as all get out comment that black women don’t work hard and need to stop whining, thus meaning that if we keep doing what we have BEEN doing for centuries, we will *finally* get somewhere important as if keeping silent in the answer, because that has worked so damn well in the past. Are you freaking kidding me?

Think about this, a black woman wasn’t onstage asking gays and POC’s to help her earn a higher pay in Hollywood, now was she?

• February 23, 2015 at 5:10 pm

Anna, you just broke that all the way down so that it will forever be broke, but this person was probably just trolling and your comments more than likely went way over her ignorant head.

I come from a similar background, and I co-sign everything you said.

• foxxx talltrees
        February 24, 2015 at 8:34 pm

Anna my sister.
        You didn’t get that job because a much better one suited for your hard work and overall fabulousness is right around the corner! I’m praying for you! And as for Jenna’s foolishness – Don’t speak to the trolls!

• Wendy
      February 24, 2015 at 11:12 am

Jenna, please set yo’ dumb ass down. You sound like a fuckin’ fool. You’ve stereotyped us because you had an open yet private forum. You’re a jerk. You sound dumb as hell so please pick up a book, any book, even a bullshit high school textbook that has just half of one page regarding black civil rights and several on the Women’s Movement. Learn something.
      Here’s a quarter. Buy a damn clue.
      Now stereotype that as a pissed off black bitch.
      Garbage.

• Bronwen
      February 24, 2015 at 8:03 pm

Jenna. Honey.

I was shocked by the breathtaking ignorance and arrogance evident in your post. Please, sweetie, if you can’t access a real education then do yourself a favor and Google the topics of privilege and US History (particularly the latter half of the 20th century) at the public library. While you’re at it, please research racism and sexism, reflecting on what it must be like to live under that double-whammy. It will do you good to exercise your empathy some, as it appears to be under-utilized from your crass remarks above.

Now, I’m assuming you’re a young white woman since your comment indicates that you have no historical perspective and an out-of-control sense of entitlement. As an older white woman, I’m telling you that you need to go sit at the children’s table and let the grown-ups talk now. You’re embarrassing yourself.

• notconvincedgranny
      February 24, 2015 at 10:11 pm

Gee, too bad you don’t know anything about the “work twice as hard for half the credit” reality for black folk. But keep on trolling, ‘lil Jenna. You might want to stand up though, so your brain can get some air.

20. Abby Tallmer
    February 23, 2015 at 4:08 pm

Dear Awesomely Luvvie: Thank You Thank You Thank You!

Re: All of the Applause Being Given By Some To Patricia Arquette’s Oscar “Equal Rights” Speech: Totally agree that the no women do not have equality yet, not even in Hollywood.

HOWEVER — Big, Big, HOWEVER:

Her statement was I thought patronizing, simplistic, & politically WAY problematic.

Women, blacks & gays are NOT mutually exclusive groups first off — intersectionality, anyone?

Also in addition to the above, this “you owe us biz” said to “gays & blacks” on behalf of “women” vis a vis backing “women” on “our” fight for equality: NO NO NO NO, for a thousand reasons NO.

First off, it’s not as if “gays” & “blacks” have achieved anywhere NEAR equality, in Hollywood or elsewhere (let’s *just* look to Hollywood & the lack of roles for & vast financial & other inequities re treatment black *women & men* versus non black for starters, shall we?); also, no one or two particular demographic groups “owe” any other group/people anything re equality — should be a collective responsibility of ALL of society — & even if there *were* certain groups that “owed” “women” in this regard, I’d put “gays” & “blacks” at the way bottom of that list.

Also so sue me but it’s not exactly like I’m crying bitter, bitter salty tears for ANY of them (Meryl, Reese, Patricia A. & all the BLONDE BLUE EYED HOLLYWOOD GIRLS) RE THE FACT THAT THEY ARE BEING PAID MILLIONS LESS THAN THEIR [WHITE MALE] PEERS…I got other fish to fry. MANY.

Fuck these white Hollywood babes & their money. (And I speak as one – white woman and yes for the record queer if not babe or monied or Hollywood, anyway.:)) What about the Absolute Total Paucity of Roles/Jobs/Opportunities for Black WOMEN & MEN in Hollywood, for starters, plus the Vast Pay Inequities (& Many Other Sorts of Inequities/Injustices) That STILL Exist Between White & Non-White Actors Male & Female in Hollywood (as elsewhere, & in every field/industry)????

Don’t hear P Arquette & crew speaking about THAT, now do we?.

21. jme
    February 23, 2015 at 6:31 pm

I reminded of the words of Kanye West, “Last birthday she got you a new sweater. Put it on, give her a kiss, and tell her, ‘DO BETTER!'” This lady completely tried it.

For all of you that argue that she was speaking for all women, please see her “for people of color” statement. That line alone let’s you know that women of color are not included in her equality argument. Her words were pretty straight forward: men, LGBTQ individuals, and people of color (which includes WOMEN OF COLOR) it is time for you to help us (WHITE WOMEN).

By the way, for every white man’s dollar, white women make 77 cents. Black women =69 cents, Latina = 57 cents….. Yes, we should challenge gender inequality, but there is also an undeniable racial aspect to this. Her speech made that clear.

22. […] This received justified backlash for her making invisible people of color, and claiming that now that other struggles have been fought for (and implying they are over) its time for People of Color and the LGBTQ community to care about women (read, white women). But something else she did, intentional or not, was to include “citizen of this nation” instead of including every person in this nation, she said “citizen”. Now. Lets be real. Whenever the issue of citizenship comes up in any discursive space in the US, be it political or social, the imposed binary we suddenly imagine is that of who counts as a citizen and who doesn’t. Latinos can’t possibly be citizens, because that is how we are interpolated through the media, policy, and historical oppression. I guess all those undocumented migrants in Los Angeles don’t deserve the rights she’s talking about. I guess Iñarritu, if it wasn’t for that Green Card he was given, wouldn’t be entitled to what Arquette is entitled to. Her call for equal rights for women excludes not only women of color and minorities, but women who are not citizens of the US. Because of their legal status, they do not deserve rights. And lets remember, the only ones who could possibly be “illegal” are Latinos. […]

23. February 24, 2015 at 10:06 am

I find you are filtering her statement through your own perceptions. She asks about the rights of all women, not just white women, but all women. All women face issues such as reduced pay and unequal treatment. Also, during the women’s suffrage movement there were many prominent women of both races that fought for the end of slavery and for voting privileges for African Americans, as well as women. Maybe it’d be wise to research the women’s suffrage movement and women like Lucy Stone, Ernestine Rose, and Angelina Grimke who all spoke up during a time when women were discouraged from public speaking to fight for the rights of all.

24. weslyn
    February 24, 2015 at 12:44 pm

I was watching a recap of her speech (without knowing about any controversy) and was like yesss, yesss, and then we she came to the end…I just stopped cold. I was immediately like, “So, all those people owe white women, huh??” That was my immediate thought. I don’t know her intentions, but I do know it didn’t sit right with me. And if it doesn’t right, it usually isn’t right..

25. Allure
    February 24, 2015 at 4:15 pm

Its like she’s saying, now its time to rescue straight white women…

26. […] comments in backstage interviews have generated almost as much critique as what she said from the front stage. When asked to follow […]

27. Tom
    February 26, 2015 at 8:27 pm

Not to mention she should never have been on stage because her performance in Boyhood was crap.