Who Should They Cast in the Live Version of The Wiz on NBC?
NBC just announced that they will be bringing a live action version of The Wiz to TV screens near us on December 3. Then the show will be revived on Broadway in 2016 in partnership with Cirque du Soleil. YESSSSSS!!! This news made me hit a jig.
The original film version from 1978 starred Diana Ross (Dorothy), Michael Jackson (Scarecrow), Nipsey Russell (Tin Man), Ted Ross (Cowardly Lion), Lena Horne (Glinda) and Richard Pryor (The Wiz). EPIC!
So what if they mess this up? You know there’s a good possibility that they don’t do this justice. LAWD. We need to take certain things into our own hands to there’s minimal mess ups, at least on the cast side. My girl Shameeka Ayers (aka The Broke Socialite) kicked this off in Facebook and we had a GOOD ol’ thread with our different picks. Read the thread so you can cackle because Team No Chill was in full effect.
I think the essentials need to be able to sing so here’s my choices:
* Dorothy – Janelle Monae or Anika Noni Rose or Keke Palmer. You can’t lose with any of these choices. They can all sing, they’re adorable and I can definitely see them as Dorothy.
* Cowardly Lion – Ruben Studdard. Come on. This just makes sense.
* Scarecrow – Usher. You KNOW you see it.
* Tin Man – Johnny Gill. I saw him in December wearing a shiny denim suit and a turtleneck. I feel like he could play the part on the strength of that alone. I do feel like the Tin Man needs to be someone who is perpetually ashy. They need to look like they haven’t touched lotion in a good 15 years. That could be Jodeci but I already have another role in mind for them.
* Glinda the Good Witch – Patti LaBelle. I just want her to come through and flap them wings while rocking a #Sequence cape. YESSSS! Audra McDonald would be awesome too.
* Evilene the Wicked Witch – Vanessa Williams. Or maybe even Fantasia. I could see her SQUALL for life as that.
* The Wiz – Prince is the perfect choice. He’s gonna show up on set and they gon be all “I see you came dressed for shooting.” And he’ll be all: “What do you mean?” Yes, this is just right.
* Munchkins and Lollipop Guild Posse – Kevin Hart is their President. But if we’re requiring the non-essentials to be able to sing as least a little bit, go find Bobby Valentino. I don’t think he’s that busy nowadays. We can also have Ray-J and Ludacris.
* Flying monkeys – Jodeci. It’s for the best.
WHEW! MY BODY IS READY! So who would y’all cast? Who do you wanna see in this live version of The Wiz? Drop your comments!