#ThanksgivingClapback Hashtag is the Hilarity You Need Right Now

There’s so much turmoil and chaos happening right now in the world. It’s been on DIS TEW MUCH levels for weeks, and the release of the LaQuan McDonald execution video took it over the edge. What Twitter does very well in times like this is serve as a distraction. This is why the #ThanksgivingClapback hashtag has been the best saving grace. It is truly keeping us laughing to keep us from crying.

Thanksgiving is tomorrow and people around the country will have to deal with family members they haven’t seen all year, around the dinner table. What happens then is that someone will certainly say something shady and disrespectful to you. It’s usually that aunty or cousin who can’t mind their business. What do you do? You can grin and bear it or you can give it right back to them.

Waiting at the door 2 gif

@KashmirVIII created the #ThanksgivingClapback topic and it trended on Twitter for hours. It’s even better than #ThanksgivingwithBlackFamilies. It’s the shadier cousin.

These tweets had me laughing so hard I was in tears. But let’s be clear. If any of you try this at the table, you might get someone’s palm print on your cheek after they slap the shit outta you. If that happens, and you get mollywhopped, please update us. I want details of how it went down.

Anywho, I Storifyed my fave tweets, and they are below. Can’t see them? Check them out on Storify.

Comments on this entry are closed.

• Soulfli (SoulfliHoneyBea) November 25, 2015, 12:22 pm

Let me just say that this hashtag is savage. I was talking to my home girl about one she created, and I added to it that had us both laughing, but we are Southerners and shade is what we do…Bless our hearts. Eniweights, the one that had me D.E.D. was the one with Prince and the one with the grandma:

Prince image:
    Aunt: I always knew you were a little fruity.

“Did you know your husband is too?”

Marla Gibbs (227) Grandma image:

Grandma pass the hot sauce to my dad.
    *passes hot sauce*
    Grandma you getting old! That’s Uncle Robert!
    Grandma: I know who I passed it to.

I HOLLERED. LOUD. AT WORK. Where I am the only black person in my office. This category of shade makes me relieve days of thanksgiving of my aunts, mother, and grandmothers in the kitchen cooking. Yes, this shady. In kitchen. Women with knifes saying these things to each other. And it was just the pre-game, not actual thanksgiving dinner, by which it would get much worse. I don’t do thanksgiving with anyone but my immediate family now…

• Buks November 25, 2015, 1:36 pm

SO. DID. I.

Still got tears.
      The Marla Gibbs meme was PERFECT!!

But this whole hashtag has made my day, makes me think of all the comebacks I could have had for family when I was growing up…and still now.

• Soulfli (SoulfliHoneyBea) November 25, 2015, 2:50 pm

So serious…some in Southern households *like the one I grew up in* this hashtag are the pre-game warm up. Southern women, especially Southern black women, throw shade like the way the throw their hands up in worship service–and sometimes at the same dern time!

• Soulfli (SoulfliHoneyBea) November 25, 2015, 12:24 pm

I didn’t mean to use relieve–typing entirely too fast. Also meant knives. Jesus be a dictionary. And a typist.

• Debra J November 25, 2015, 1:58 pm

I have cried so hard my nose is running, fix it Jesus ded

• Lorna November 25, 2015, 3:04 pm

Luvvie, you got me rolling and laughing way too hard up in here, up in here! Needed this laughter and I love this!!! So much that I had to create one myself…

Her: Why you never come to Thanksgiving? You think you too good to be with the Fam?!

Me: Why does your house always smell like moldy cheese and hatred? You think you too good for Lysol and The Lord?!

• Stephanie November 25, 2015, 5:24 pm

Omg!! Moldy cheese and hatred tho? #crine

• Santrina November 25, 2015, 3:50 pm

Cousin Why you and your sister only have one child?

Me Why you have none? Oh yeah they know you on sight at the clinic!!!!

• Stayin Single November 25, 2015, 3:51 pm

Uncle: When you getting married?
    Me: When someone ask me………

• S.Rena November 25, 2015, 4:03 pm

Family: What?! You still don’t know how to drive?
    Me: You gonna teach me?
    Family: You mean in my car?
    Me: o___O

• K-Vegas November 25, 2015, 5:09 pm

Auntie: when you getting married?
    Me: when my uncle stop stepping out on his

Auntie (smirking): So, I heard you almost flunked outta school this semester
    Me: Really? Well I hear congratulations are in order. You’re about to be a grandma for a fifth time. Time to ask Section 8 for a 3bedroom, huh?

Auntie: I hear your Mama had to send you money so you could come home for Thanksgiving this year.
    Me *hangs head*: Yeah. I’d have asked you but I heard you had to pay Uncle Jay’s child support this month. Now was that for break baby #2 or break baby #4?

Cousin: I heard your boyfriend won’t be joining us at the table this year.
    Me: I heard your brother won’t be either. Good news is, is he may make parole in time to be home for Christmas.

• LaNiRo November 25, 2015, 11:39 pm

I am absolutely waiting for my SIL to say/do something shady. I’ve kept it cute and mute for years, but 2015 will NOT be her year if she decides she needs to speak before thinking. I am excited…I hope she doesn’t disappoint

• Gina November 26, 2015, 9:58 am

Okay, Imma go take my medicine before I start reading and get distracted. Can’t be playing with my pressure.

• howlingbanshee November 28, 2015, 10:40 pm

Let us pray for the speedy recovery of those who actually did clap back this year, Lord hammercy.

• Mzmiamiheat November 30, 2015, 6:43 am

This hashtag was just what I needed over the holiday week. When I say I was *dead to the world* I thought I heard Mahalia Jackson singing his eye is on the sparrow for me I was laughing so hard!!!

MENU