Whose Woke Kid Wrote This Journal Entry and Why am I So Proud?

As you know, I’m a fan of kids and old people. They have an earnestness to them that I love, and they are uncheckable because of it. It also helps that my YoungOld self tries to not let that part of myself die. This is why I aspire to be the kind of parent who raises children who don’t like being lied to and will call people out on their shenanigans (politely, of course).

On Facebook, a woman named Alanya posted a journal entry that a little boy, named King, wrote as an assignment in school. She wondered whose kid wrote it, and I had the same question. Because this kid is amazing and whoever raised him did well.

Look:

In case you can’t read it well, it says:

“Today was not a good learning day. Blah blah blah I only wanted to hear you not talking. You said something wrong and I can’t listen when I hear lies. My mom said that the only Christopher we acknowledge is Wallace. Because Columbus didn’t find our country. The Indians did. I like to have Columbus Day off but I want you to not tell me lies. That is all. My question for the day is how can white people teach Black history?”

When I tell you that King is my newest hero, I mean it! I straight HOLLERED as I read because King lowkey got bars, and he dropped a few. So much truth in so few words! “My mom said that the only Christopher we acknowledge is Wallace. Because Columbus didn’t find our country.” YES, KING. LET EM KNOW. Columbus ol’ wayward ass ain’t find shit and the fact that he has a federal holiday is a shame.

And then he tells his teacher that he can’t listen to lies. Lies are his ear kryptonite and he ain’t here (nor there) for them. Me too, King. Me. Gahtdamb. Too.

Even though he said that was all, he wasn’t finished until he dropped the question of the day week month year on teacher: how is caucasity teaching noir history? GOOD QUESTION, KING. The only better questions are “Why is Jadakiss as hard as it gets?” or “What REALLY is that on Jermaine Jackson’s head?

Someone somewhere is all “but he’s rude.” Is he, though? Is his teacher not telling him lies with these lessons when he knows what really happened? This kid is inquisitive and his openness to seeking answers lets me know he is also willing to grow. Plus, he’s willing to listen to a TRUSTED authority figure (his mom) and he is challenging things as presented to him. I think he’s awesome and he will go very far.

And my favorite part (even though the ENTIRE THING is my fave) is how King responded to his teacher’s disappointment with a simple “ok.”

Look At All Bothers gif

This is King.

You don’t argue with peasants. It’s like King just knew not to justify himself because HE SAID WHAT HE SAID. And who has the time? King is self-assured in his righteous indignation, and he knows he has every right to be sick of his teacher’s shit. Like a tree planted, he shall not be moved. That “ok” took me CLEAN out! “Ok” after someone says something long, or deep, or that you should have a response to, is next level shade.

King is alright with me.

Whose kid is this? Whoever King’s parents are. They deserve applause because they have raised a truthteller. I hope they bought him something. I know I’d be super proud.

Comments on this entry are closed.

• D Mayo Johnson January 23, 2018, 10:10 pm

Looka here Luvvie, I say “we pass hat” “set up a gofundKing”, or just get that baby some folding money for his wallet. My personal favorite response to folks is “ok” w/hint of crazy heffa for good measure. King, you’ve shown your royal blood & your aunties & uncles got your back. Don’t mess around & let us find what school district this is!

• Laurie o January 23, 2018, 10:48 pm

Oh please find it 😂😂😂

• nichole January 23, 2018, 10:17 pm

What “very disappointed in your journal today” means is “you hurt my feelings.” My understanding of a journal is a space for the writer to share their thoughts and feelings. In my book, King gets and A+ because he did just that. Plus, shout out to the parents who named their child “King.” Claiming royalty and this baby is walking in it.

• Gdo January 24, 2018, 2:47 am

Exactly…you don’t get to be disappointed in someone else journal. Tell her King. His parents name him right y’all.

• BJ February 6, 2018, 9:58 pm

I love The King’s opening. “Today was not a good learning day.” Thank you for truth King. You wear your croan of truth well.

• MoMo January 24, 2018, 11:20 am

This is it exactly!!!!!! You don’t want to know my thoughts then don’t read my journal. Problem, meet solution.

• Carrie January 24, 2018, 11:30 am

Agreed. King is amazing and his teacher is not so much.

• Karen January 23, 2018, 10:32 pm

How is this teacher walking around after saying “I’m disappointed” with this journal entry? The point of teaching is to get kids to ask question! Thank you for sharing this and I hope King’s Mom will let us know where to send the gifts.

• Beth Santellana January 23, 2018, 10:35 pm

As an elementary school teacher, I think this is a fantastic form of communication and unquestionably sincere from a VERY precocious young man. We teachers always ask our students to write, whether in a journal or to reflect on an occurrence. King obviously detailed his reasons in a tight thesis “blah blah blah” towards his teachers’ astoundingly limited and pedantically ass-headed world view. I imagine the Charlie Brown teacher, in her low-toned TRUmPet drawl (see what I did there?) castigating King over his right to free speech, against unreasonable search and seizure, his right to a violence-free education. Because perpetuating the myth that Columbus “discovered” the United States of America (I know he didn’t, he “discovered” Hispaniola) is as bass-ackwards as you can be. Good on you, Mr. King, and godspeed. A➕

• Azuquita January 24, 2018, 7:39 am

He didn’t discover Hispaniola, people were already living there, I am of Italian & Puerto Rican Heritage, imy Puerto Rican over ride my Italian when it comes to Cristóbal Colón/Cristoforo Colombo. All he did was rape & kill, We were human beings before him

• MoMo January 24, 2018, 11:22 am

I think that’s why she put discovered in quotation marks. Everyone knows he didn’t discover shit.

• E Greene January 24, 2018, 1:17 pm

Beth Santellana agrees with you! That’s why she put “discovered” in quotes. I appreciate that we have teachers like her around who would validate a young man expressing himself as King did!

• A February 6, 2018, 11:13 pm

I wish you were this precious child’s teacher…

• Agostinho January 23, 2018, 10:49 pm

King is like newest personal heroes! I am totally on the King-Project!!!! Up! Up!!! King, yuh ting up deh!!! (Translated: King your thing is up there! Interpreted: King is a king!!)

• Sheena January 24, 2018, 3:31 am

Way up!!!

• Agostinho January 23, 2018, 10:51 pm

*…ONE OF MY newest personal heroes…

• Chi January 23, 2018, 10:52 pm

Replied ‘ok’. No lofty replies..just two letters lol! Love it 😂

• Pretty Smart Chic January 24, 2018, 12:25 am

But my thought here is how much we can all learn with a simple “ok” which is so loaded. With two letters he said, “This is MY journal, and MY thoughts. Your approval of what I write here won’t make it any less true or significant for me. Woman up. Your lying-ass history lecture was disappointing to me.”

• Keissa January 24, 2018, 3:38 am

Yasss hunty! That OK covered a whole multitude of f*cks to NOT give concerning her opinion in HIS journal. The shade was cool and breezy…

• Jeannette January 26, 2018, 10:26 am

Ok. or the Ok emoticon is my symbol/response for “gone nah”. King was not with the sh**ts today.

• Shar January 24, 2018, 12:43 am

Master King has spoken, his mic has dropped with that definitive two letter reply!

• Ronini January 24, 2018, 8:40 am

He was respectful in his response to her opinion. She was given the right to be offended that she denied him. He called her on her bs and she he has to live with a kid calling her a liar. I once gave an quick answer to a kid who came back the next day and said my mom said that isn’t right. I assured her I got her quiet which was all I needed. We both laughed. Fifth graders are the best. Curious, silly and still huggable.

• King's (spiritual) Auntie January 24, 2018, 3:21 am

nothing but respect for my King. *bows down*

• Rochelle January 24, 2018, 6:04 am

I agree with an earlier post that states this is King’s journal with his thoughts, and he is entitled to those thoughts. However, I wonder for anyone who supports his lingering question of how can a white person teach black history, do we really want to go down that slippery slope? Is it not okay for whites to teach black history and blacks to teach white history?
    I believe that as long as a person has an appreciation and accurate knowledge for that culture, then they should be able to teach it. Now, is that the case for this teacher? Eh. Doesn’t sound like she’s off to a great start, but I wouldn’t want to put any teacher in a box because of their skin color. I know a white educator who teaches in a predominantly white school you includes a lot of Langston Hughes. The enthusiam and historical context she uses to teach about Hughes and the Harlem Renaissance is inspiring to her students who, let’s face it, probably don’t read much Hughes or other black literature.
    My point is, if I appreciate a culture, I’m not necessarily saying I identify with it, belong to it, or agree/condone all of it. I’m saying that I appreciate how lessons from history can guide our future. I’m saying that a white teacher who loves black writers and black history should be allowed to teach it if they do so responsibly. I’m saying the same for black teachers who appreciate Anglo culture. I’m saying that I realize being WOKE is a good thing, but I don’t want to be WOKE to the point that I miss opportunities to be inclusive or have my lingering questions from other cultures go unanswered because I refuse to hear it if they don’t live it.

• Gayle January 24, 2018, 8:20 am

Ok

• Kelechi January 24, 2018, 8:51 am

Gayle 😂⚰️

• Imani Stark January 24, 2018, 10:45 am

**DEAD** at Gayle

• Amber January 24, 2018, 3:57 pm

Gayle! 😂😭👏🏾🙌🏾

• Dee January 24, 2018, 7:53 pm

I read Luvvie every chance I get. But I promise you nothing has made me want to respond to a post as much as Gayle’s “ok”. 😂😂😂 Girl, are you King’s Mama?

• T. Bradley January 25, 2018, 8:12 am

Gayle wins. 😂😂

• Rachel January 27, 2018, 5:12 pm

Thank you Gayle!!! There’s always that one person. You made me post for the first time with that! Still laughing 😂

• Portia January 28, 2018, 10:19 am

I’m reading the comments to the post about King and I love them and agree. Then I roll up on the salty tears of * not all of us is her*. Then I see the simple yet eloquent, Ok. I howled.

• cee cee February 6, 2018, 10:47 am

I need life support! Your answer was EVERYTHANG!!!!

• Alycia February 6, 2018, 4:18 pm

Gayle has killed me DEAD!! lmao

• A February 6, 2018, 11:20 pm

Oh, Gayle. Thank you.

• phillygirl January 24, 2018, 9:29 am

King simply asked “My question for the day is how can white people teach Black history?” He did not say a white person COULDN’T teach Black history. He wanted to know after listening to THIS white person lie about the history if this was even a thing. I mean aren’t all Black people judged by the one who does the wrong thing? King is wise beyond his years, CLEARLY. And if we’re being real and true or trill, his teacher would’ve welcomed his question with a thoughtful answer instead of admonishing him. When she couldn’t get on his level, he responded respectfully and shadily and appropriately.

• Saran Martin January 24, 2018, 12:57 pm

To Phillygirl: From one Phillyjawn to another 🙂 – King asked a question because clearly their journal entries must include a QOTD. His teacher could have very easily provided an answer if she wasn’t all in her feelings! During my freshman year at Hampton University, I had a white African-American History professor. When I walked into the class, I was stunned but quickly learned this man was on point!!! He gained the respect of the class because he was well learned and knew his ish. So, of course a white person (or any person) can teach Black history…just know your ish and tell the truth.

• MeMe January 24, 2018, 12:27 pm

I agree wholeheartedly, Rochelle. We should all be striving to better understand, learn about, and RESPECT each other (and their opinions) across racial, cultural, and economical divides. Well stated.

• notconvincedgranny January 24, 2018, 2:08 pm

I’m not gonna ignore this because my granddaughter attends a high school where, when it came time (read: NECESSARY) to start a BSU, only a white teacher spoke out and stepped up as sponsor. The only black teacher in the entire place spoke against it with an intensity that resembled rapture in the pulpit. Even the white kids were not there for Auntie Benita Carson.

I won’t reject the messenger out of hand based on the surface; and I won’t accept ignorance based on the same. Not all white people are your enemy; not all black ones are your friend. I’ll take Rachel Dolezal over Stacy Dash all day. Being woke is the bona fides required.

• Mari-Bess Cary January 24, 2018, 5:06 pm

I don’t think it goes the other way. “White” history is basically the ONLY history for a LONG time. So we really only have their side to tell. When it comes to black history past slavery, it’s still their version for awhile. people have had to DIG and DEEP to find anyone else’s version. And even things further away from that time and closer to ours…..if we didn’t keep our history, it would be skewed in history books through their lens. There are PUBLISHED books in schools that refer to slaves, who didn’t have the option to be freed, as indentured servants. And still others talk about Native Americans as if they loved having the Europeans here and gave up their land voluntarily; and lets not forget to mention that we get the view that they can’t handle their liquor from white people too. So, I think his question was quite valid.

• DCFem January 24, 2018, 7:55 am

YES King! YES! School ’em!

• Gayle January 24, 2018, 8:21 am

Ok

• Mo Bee January 24, 2018, 5:43 pm

Gayle’s OK was a flat out K.O!

• dianthe January 24, 2018, 10:53 am

“Ok” is my most favorite response ever. It’s how you shut down all arguments and I’m teaching my kids to use it regularly. Fortunately my 9 year old girlchild is already a pro. Because her mama taught her well. And genetics.

• Tracy Hunley January 24, 2018, 11:01 am

I’m usually a lurker on the blog but want to comment. This kid here? He gives me hope for our future. #WokeAF

• Le Blanc January 24, 2018, 2:08 pm

I’m disappointed in the teacher for not being more encouraging to her students. The young man was expressing his thoughts and feelings on the subject in HIS journal. Instead of remarking how proud she is that he opened up about how he felt and encouraging him to never be afraid to question or speak his mind on something . She was “disappointed” that he didn’t agree and took it personal. REALLY?!?!?!? I’m DISAPPOINTED in her!

• MAC67 January 24, 2018, 2:10 pm

THIS! It’s what taking your power back and writing your own narrative looks like! Took me 50 years to learn to say “ok” and use silence as powerful weapons – so awesome he got this lesson early. His parents schooled him well.

• 0fcksgvn January 24, 2018, 2:21 pm

Wow, the hypocrisy is real. Since when does black history include Native Americans or vice versa? What else are you going to appropriate for your own?
    You’re saying Caucasians can’t tell their part in the story of world history? That’s like saying China can’t have Chinese history. It’s all gotta be the same story that everybody agrees on. WTF.

• Roch January 24, 2018, 7:32 pm

Zero f’s given aka OK…

• Me January 25, 2018, 8:14 am

Let caucasians tell it, they ARE the history of the world… so what are you saying?

• Tara January 24, 2018, 2:51 pm

Yall, these kids today are here to judge and drop knowledge with sprinkles on shade on top for good measure. Thank you Jesus for sending our ancestors back here to Earth to straighten these mofos out.

• Amber January 24, 2018, 4:00 pm

Yes! The return of the ancestors is upon us. Hear ye, all thee who dare to cross their paths with half-truths and tomfoolery.

• Gigi Nash January 26, 2018, 8:57 pm

Only truth here!

• Kim January 24, 2018, 4:02 pm

“I can’t listen when I hear lies” -Amen.

• yadi January 25, 2018, 10:11 am

That line right there delivered my soul! As the mutha of two similarly-aged boys, I’m saying PREACH! I’m also hollering at the Biggie Smalls reference. Just take me down to the river.

• Tara January 25, 2018, 12:49 pm

I really want this on a t-shirt! No, I NEED this as a t-shirt and hoodie (for the cooler months).lol

• Xavier January 25, 2018, 4:00 am

Can we please find him and his parents? I really wanna let King know how Proud of him I am…THIS BABY IS EVERYTHING! May he ALWAYS SPEAK TRUTH TO POWER in confidence and with grace….

• Yadi January 25, 2018, 10:28 am

“I like to have columbus day off but I want you to not teach me lies”

There is just so much in this short exchange. I am here for every single alphabet this kid wrote! But why do I keep hearing NeNe Leakes “I’m not gonna sit here and listen to your lies”? Lol

• NOLA January 25, 2018, 10:40 am

Luvvie, you are proud because the children are our future!
    Teach the kids and trust that they can handle the truth. I tell my boys everyday if they don’t learn anything else from their mother, “Don’t fall for the okie-doke. Knowledge is power!”

• Dawn January 25, 2018, 11:59 pm

Um, all is right in King’s view of the world. Teacher, check yourself.

• Tami January 26, 2018, 10:15 am

I am going to read King’s journal entry to my 11 year old grand-daughter…These are the kind of friends I want her to have. I love his mother!!!

• Yes!!! I'm down for the change - 'Christoper' Wallace Day! January 26, 2018, 1:18 pm

Get ready to be continually “disappointed” as this child is WOKE!! all the way and there is no going back to sleep! King’s a leader and momma has planted the seeds and now the flowers are blooming!

ok!

• Politigal January 26, 2018, 5:39 pm

Well he telling the damn truth! People need to stop lying about US history.

• Gigi Nash January 26, 2018, 9:07 pm

SO many parts of this half page, 250 characters or less comment on society, racial disparities and life in these United States are worthy of a Ted Talk, Sermon or some other dissertation style analysis- but I will settle for donating to King’s Gofundme page to assure he continues to speak his truth- will also purchase a a t shirt that says “blah blah blah”….

• KAN February 6, 2018, 8:21 pm

“disappointed”
    that’s some slavemaster mentality guilt/manipulatiom bullshit…obviously King’s not there for it, “ok” LOL

MENU